Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

I want to export all of my texts and media from Google Messages to my desktop so I can print a book of them, is there a consensus way to this that probably won't forward them all to eastern europe? I'm entirely open to paid solutions.

It was so easy with Windows Phone I could just download sms.xml from my onedrive backup and all done

try https://takeout.google.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

the_lion posted:

So what's the best way to go get rid of ads with mobile browsing these days?

I'm not rooted, if that matters.

For your local network, you could look into setting up a pihole.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

hooah posted:

Firefox with ublock origin. Or a DNS service like nextdns.io.

Nice and easy! Thanks.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The mobile web these days is horrifying. Any time a link opens in an app and not a browser is a trip down memory lane to the early noughties.

Back in the XP days, I went to a news site on the work computer and I thought it had downloaded spyware or something. Turns out it was just the regular site with ads. Remember when toolbars existed almost entirely to block pop-ups? Christ.

It sure is, I don't know how it got so bad. I thought pop ups were dead because I mostly browse on desktop with ad blockers but because it's Christmas I've been browsing on my phone and realised quickly that video popups are a thing.

SpiderLink posted:

For your local network, you could look into setting up a pihole.

I've considered this but I'm not all that technical. How hard is it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

the_lion posted:

Nice and easy! Thanks.

Chrome also has ublock origin on mobile and it works flawlessly.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

the_lion posted:

Nice and easy! Thanks.

It sure is, I don't know how it got so bad. I thought pop ups were dead because I mostly browse on desktop with ad blockers but because it's Christmas I've been browsing on my phone and realised quickly that video popups are a thing.

Whilst I ran a pihole for years and used to recommend it, the convenience of nextdns for a tiny amount a month has now outweighed it

You can run it outside your home network too which you can't with a pihole

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Blokada is a super easy solution too. Piholes are awesome but one of those things that you gotta tweak a bit over time to get right. And if you mess up it will probably mess up everyone else on the network.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

VelociBacon posted:

Chrome also has ublock origin on mobile and it works flawlessly.

I didn't think Chrome had extensions on mobile?

I use a dns from adguard and it works for the internet, though it doesn't do anything for YouTube.

Once in a while it breaks and I need to turn it off and am reminded of the horror of unrestricted internet.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Uthor posted:

I didn't think Chrome had extensions on mobile?

I use a dns from adguard and it works for the internet, though it doesn't do anything for YouTube.

Once in a while it breaks and I need to turn it off and am reminded of the horror of unrestricted internet.

Oh my god I think you're right, sorry! I don't seem to get ads on my chrome mobile, I thought I had it installed. Maybe because I'm signed into the same chrome account that I have it installed to on desktop?

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

the_lion posted:

I'm pretty bad at networking stuff and still managed to get it set up through Docker on my Synology server. It seems like there are more convenient options other posters have suggested though!

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Any ideas why my prime video is just refusing to do picture in picture? 00ive cleared the phone cache, I've cleared the app cache, I've tried rebooting after switching the permissions, I deleted then reinstalled the app. Idk what else to do.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Skarsnik posted:

Whilst I ran a pihole for years and used to recommend it, the convenience of nextdns for a tiny amount a month has now outweighed it

+1 to this. Scrapped my pihole and switched to nextdns a bit ago - works great!

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

What's a good PDF reader these days? I've always used Foxit's app since I used their Windows PDF program, but they changed the app to make editing features more intrusive and not show the very top and bottom of pages, so now that I've bought a new tablet it feels like time to change.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Xodo reader is great.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

1st Stage Midboss posted:

What's a good PDF reader these days? I've always used Foxit's app since I used their Windows PDF program, but they changed the app to make editing features more intrusive and not show the very top and bottom of pages, so now that I've bought a new tablet it feels like time to change.

ReadEra or Librera. Get the latter from F-Droid for ad-free version (no internet permission).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've used ReadEra for years and I like it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Adobe reader

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Can someone please recommend me an app to route audio from a bluetooth throat microphone to a bluetooth speaker? I really want one that does voice processing so I can sound like a space marine, but anything will do to just let me test out my microphone.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Android 12 here: how do I enable auto updates for all apps except 1? The Imgur app is complete garbage with ads now so I use a previous version without them but it keeps trying to update. If I disable auto updates globally almost every day I have to update some apps manually. If I enable auto updates I can't disable it for the Imgur app, only enable auto updates. If auto updates are on globally, that checkbox is still unchecked.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

nexus6 posted:

Android 12 here: how do I enable auto updates for all apps except 1? The Imgur app is complete garbage with ads now so I use a previous version without them but it keeps trying to update. If I disable auto updates globally almost every day I have to update some apps manually. If I enable auto updates I can't disable it for the Imgur app, only enable auto updates. If auto updates are on globally, that checkbox is still unchecked.

So the enable auto updates checkbox is unchecked for the Imgur app but it's still auto-updating? I've had auto-updates turned off for the Hangouts app for years and it's never tried to update. Have you rebooted your phone or cleared cache for the Play Store?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Uninstall your existing imgur app and then sideload the old version apk from some archival site like apkmirror. Play store won't try to update the app if you installed it manually.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

BoldFace posted:

Uninstall your existing imgur app and then sideload the old version apk from some archival site like apkmirror. Play store won't try to update the app if you installed it manually.

That's how I installed a previous version and the play store does try to update it.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So the enable auto updates checkbox is unchecked for the Imgur app but it's still auto-updating? I've had auto-updates turned off for the Hangouts app for years and it's never tried to update. Have you rebooted your phone or cleared cache for the Play Store?

If I enable auto updates for all apps the checkbox is unchecked for any app.

Edit: seems like I can't manage it for a single app, this is what happens if I try to enable auto updates for just Google calendar

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 20, 2022

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

nexus6 posted:

That's how I installed a previous version and the play store does try to update it.

If I enable auto updates for all apps the checkbox is unchecked for any app.

Edit: seems like I can't manage it for a single app, this is what happens if I try to enable auto updates for just Google calendar

Use apk signer on that imgur apk and Play Store will ignore it.

https://m.apkpure.com/es/apk-signer/com.haibison.apksigner

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Skarsnik posted:

You absolutely can. PiVPN (using wireguard) isn't appreciably harder to set up than pihole, as long as setup goes smoothly. Then once everything is set up the way you want you make a backup image so you don't have to do it all again if the pi shits the bed, which it eventually will if you're running from an SD card.

It's still not worth it if you don't enjoy tinkering and/or want to learn about linux and network crap, etc. But it is possible.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You absolutely can. PiVPN (using wireguard) isn't appreciably harder to set up than pihole, as long as setup goes smoothly. Then once everything is set up the way you want you make a backup image so you don't have to do it all again if the pi shits the bed, which it eventually will if you're running from an SD card.

It's still not worth it if you don't enjoy tinkering and/or want to learn about linux and network crap, etc. But it is possible.

Thanks for the clarification! I had heard about wireguard but wasn't sure it was worth looking it. Gonna re-evaluate now.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Wireguard doesn't work over my mobile network, something to do with ipv6 fuckery their end. It's what I used to do over WiFi whenever I was connected though

Either way it's a lot of faff vs £1.79 a month

Dont get me wrong I love a good tinker but at some point I just starting valuing convenience a lot more

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Honestly, you're gonna be better off just updaing the imgur app. I tried not updating it, but they've changed so much with the API that it was very unstable, refusing to load images and/or comments unless I quit and restarted the app, which I would have to do every 2 or 3 posts.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nexus6 posted:

I noticed last week that I can't click the share button on stuff in my gallery and share it "to" imgur anymore. Is this because I have too new of a version? Are you able to do this still? It's just not in my list at all anymore for the share menu.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Asking again, please: Can someone recommend an app to let me route audio from a Bluetooth microphone to a separate Bluetooth speaker?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kylaer posted:

Asking again, please: Can someone recommend an app to let me route audio from a Bluetooth microphone to a separate Bluetooth speaker?

I don't know if this is possible. Do both devices have the other audio direction? I.e. does the microphone have a speaker and does the speaker also have a microphone? You could try to see if you can find the settings referenced in this Stack Exchange post if you haven't already come across those settings.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

hooah posted:

I don't know if this is possible. Do both devices have the other audio direction? I.e. does the microphone have a speaker and does the speaker also have a microphone? You could try to see if you can find the settings referenced in this Stack Exchange post if you haven't already come across those settings.

The microphone is only a microphone and the speaker is only a speaker. The microphone is a throat microphone and sends audio to my phone, as far as I can tell. The speaker I'm using for testing is a music speaker and it works fine, I've used it for a long time. Once I figure out the routing, I'll buy a smaller wearable speaker. My goal is for it to function as a voice amplifier for when I'm wearing a respirator mask that's hard to talk in.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
What's the easiest way to back up the actual audio files from a podcast? I use PocketCasts but all the episodes are a humble of characters so there's no way to keep an order. Open to installing a different app. Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SpiderLink posted:

What's the easiest way to back up the actual audio files from a podcast? I use PocketCasts but all the episodes are a humble of characters so there's no way to keep an order. Open to installing a different app. Thanks!

The ultimately correct answer might be an RSS auto-download utility, but I feel like the app I use (podcast addict) can probably do it also.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

The ultimately correct answer might be an RSS auto-download utility, but I feel like the app I use (podcast addict) can probably do it also.

Thanks, I'll give the app a shot! I had found the RSS feed but didn't know what to do with it so I guess that's plan B.

Edit: Just following up on this in case someone else has the same question: I tried a few different podcasting apps but none of them did non-"random" filenames. I tried looking at a program that would rename the files based on the metadata but the podcasts I was interested in backing up don't seem to have any useful ones.

I settled on trying gPodder on my PC. With that, I was able to just add a podcast by URL (the RSS feed URL) and download the files directly to my computer while also renaming them properly (Episode number - title) in a directory named for the podcast itself. There might be a way to change the naming scheme in the preferences if you don't like that style. I will give a word of warning that I had to go to

Preferences > Updating and change the "maximum number of episodes per podcast" field to like 10000 or it would only grab a few hundreds instead of the whole list.

If this doesn't work for you then maybe I'm skipping a step and it is pulling metadata somehow anyway but the config options seem pretty robust so there's probably a way to do like "{episode.number} - {episode.title}" or something.

SpiderLink fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 25, 2022

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

SpiderLink posted:

I settled on trying gPodder on my PC.

Sorry I'm responding now after you've already done all that, but I actually use MediaMonkey on PC for this and it works really well.

In the global podcast options, I have the "Download podcasts to:" set to "D:\Music\PodcastCollections\<Podcast>\<Date> - <Title>". It results in a bunch of files that start with YYYY-MM-DD, that sort very cleanly.

It sounds like you've already gotten it taken care of, but this is also an option.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

zzMisc posted:

Sorry I'm responding now after you've already done all that, but I actually use MediaMonkey on PC for this and it works really well.

In the global podcast options, I have the "Download podcasts to:" set to "D:\Music\PodcastCollections\<Podcast>\<Date> - <Title>". It results in a bunch of files that start with YYYY-MM-DD, that sort very cleanly.

It sounds like you've already gotten it taken care of, but this is also an option.

No worries, and thanks for providing an alternative! I used to use Media Monkey back in like 2007, good to know it's still around. Always good to have alternatives in case this program turns out to be spyware or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Kinda super specific question:
I use OneDrive for photo backup and have been looking at the "On This Day" feature. The downside is that I use folders to organize my photos and haven't filled in tags. I can't seem to find a way to see what folder a photo is saved in from the photo viewer part of the app? I see photos for a wedding and, like, can't figure out who's wedding it was without digging through years of folders in the files part of the app.

Tl;dr: how do you find what folder a photo is saved in through OneDrive?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Not an app question but just a general android one - how do I undo an automatic text correction when typing? I presume there's some shortcut I don't know about. On my old android phone I swear I used to just be able to press backspace once and it would go back to what it was before the correction, but it doesn't do that on my current phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro), so is it behaviour that's specific to each phone?

If I try to google this all the results are about turning text correction off completely, which I don't want to do.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It depends on what keyboard you're using.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Gboard

Edit: oh sussed it thanks, it's specifically an option in gboard settings

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trauts
May 1, 2010
Why is newpipe suddenly failing to load any YouTube videos despite displaying trending etc? This is new, I tried reinstalling the app but still not working. Any other ideas?