Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Guys, you do realize there is a book spoiler thread, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Really perfect casting for both major characters introduced tonight, as far as I'm concerned.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

No book spoilers in this post.

Really enjoyed The Dark One's casting. They did a great job with the role.
Can't believe they killed my boy Loial
Thought it was pretty funny how Egwane's frozen in time scene had her actually just standing there as still as she could, rather using a still frame and Rand in front of a green screen, would have preferred the latter.
Why did Moraine think this was just the first battle because some "heartstone" broke? Did I miss something there?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is the finale out?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

nwin posted:

Is the finale out?

yes

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why did Moraine think this was just the first battle because some "heartstone" broke? Did I miss something there?
Going from the books, I know why. From the show, they didn‘t tell explicitly.

nwin posted:

Is the finale out?
Yes.

For the record, I really liked it. I think they set up some good hooks for what will probably be happening next season. They changed a lot from the books, but that was needed any way. I really liked that it was Egwene & Nynaeve who destroyed the Trollocs army

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Aaarg

I liked the finale but it made me upset

wtf now we wait a year to find out Loial and Uno are ok?

The one thing I hope got made clear to new watchers is that the whole season we just watched is basically the introduction

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Definitely not enough Lan in this episode. This is true of every episode though. Love him and his bizarre back scabbard with the little sticky out bit for his tsuba.

Enjoyed the finale, though it felt a little rushed maybe, but better than the series starting to drag on. It did seem unwise to have the channelers stood alone outside the city. One Trollock making it through the storm and they'd all be dead.

MegaZeroX posted:

Guys, you do realize there is a book spoiler thread, right?

Point taken and posts edited.

SpaceCommie fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 24, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the first season was always going to universally be the rockiest because of the weird job they had of adapting what was more or less a lord of the rings retread into something more unique for a show so it'll be interesting to see where they go with it once they have a more cohesive narrative to pull from in future seasons

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The crux of the season was Rand being a positive male ally to defend a woman's right to agency and I think that's very cool. I dug the finale a lot, Tarwin's Gap wasn't up to the standards late GoT set but was still better than the nonexistent battles in GoT season 1 and the battles will only get better from here, I really hope they didn't kill my boy Loial, Fain getting his real intro ruled, this bloody show needs more of that goat-pissing Uno fella, I hope that little girl knows how to swim, looking forward to season 2

Was the cold open meant to have subtitles? I tried switching on the CCs but I still wasn't getting anything

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Rarity posted:

Was the cold open meant to have subtitles? I tried switching on the CCs but I still wasn't getting anything

Yeah, I had subtitles. I didn't have to touch any settings to get them up either.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

e: This is the TVIV thread!

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 24, 2021

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

Overall, I either liked all the changes or I understood the reason for them

Big mad about my boy Loial but telling myself that waiting a year to find out what happens to a character is the core of the true Wheel of Time experience

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh thanks Amazon :v:

Can someone give me a summary of what they were talking about please?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rarity posted:

Latra: no I will not help you seal the Dark One, he'll touch the Source through you and corrupt it
Lews: let's do it anyway
Latra: that's dumb
Lews: I'm doing it anyway
Latra: still friends tho?
Lews: sure

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 24, 2021

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Speaking of subtitles, I got bored and watched a bit of the show in Japanese with English subtitles and it 100% works, which makes sense as Wheel of Time is an anime.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Rarity posted:

Lews Therin Telamon (the guy and previous Dragon) was arguing with someone called Latra about a plan that Lew Therin had to attack and seal the Dark One away. She disagreed strongly and would not commit women Aes Sedai to the plan out of fear that if the power touched the Dark One, it would be corrupted. They could not agree and clearly split over this decision.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Reik posted:

Speaking of subtitles, I got bored and watched a bit of the show in Japanese with English subtitles and it 100% works, which makes sense as Wheel of Time is an anime.

It totally is, so I'll have to give this a try when I'm ready to rewatch

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Reik posted:

lol

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Loial's line "I'm standing..." got a legit LOL out of me.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

I have full faith in the showrunner now that I know he's willing to make big changes in order to fix the weak parts of the book. He threw away the big fat nothing ending of Eye of the World and gave us a proper climax with structure, stakes, drama and action. Good-rear end episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Stupid Sexy Satan Shai’tan

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I don't know why but I'm always a sucker for the literal devil being portrayed on screen trying to tempt the protagonist. the prophecy, dogma, Constantine a little bit. those scenes were my favorite part of the whole series. I blinked or must have been letting my dog or something and missed what happened to agelmar at tarwins gap. im assuming it was bad but I don't remember seeing him fight other than the crossbow scene. hopefully the next seasons will grow from the missteps of this one and hopefully covid, $, and length will all become more favorable too. ultimately this could have been a lot worse.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Trollcocks get so blurry when they fight.

If it were not the holiday weekend I'd pick a fight with a stranger by calling them "Lews" excessively just to try it out. Seemed like fun.

I did like how Egg-Wayne didn't even try to save the other burned to a crisp channel teamers.

Perrin's heavy metail voice still sucks along with the rest of his acting. The good acting award goes to Decrepit Shambling Matttt for his last cameo and um, Min too for the look of restrained satisfaction when GTFO of Fal Dara. It looked like a crappy place to live and I'm glad of her getting out of there.

Weak makeup on the boaty baldies. Cowardly to drop the Jordanian nerdy bdsm-lite connotations that weave through the novels but oh well.

In closing I hope this is a satisfying end for everyone and the last we see of Rand's awful Chore-Boy Copper wig.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I blinked or must have been letting my dog or something and missed what happened to agelmar at tarwins gap. im assuming it was bad but I don't remember seeing him fight other than the crossbow scene.
Minute 36 or so, the Trollocks have formed a human Trollock-pyramid and are widening the arrowslits with pickaxes as Agelmar and co continues to shoot them, when a Trollock chucks a spear through the gap and impales him through the chest. Dude is super dead.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I don't know why but I'm always a sucker for the literal devil being portrayed on screen trying to tempt the protagonist. the prophecy, dogma, Constantine a little bit. those scenes were my favorite part of the whole series. I blinked or must have been letting my dog or something and missed what happened to agelmar at tarwins gap. im assuming it was bad but I don't remember seeing him fight other than the crossbow scene. hopefully the next seasons will grow from the missteps of this one and hopefully covid, $, and length will all become more favorable too. ultimately this could have been a lot worse.

Yeah if Rand's A plot was the only thing in the episode, this would be my favorite episode of the series, but as it is, I think its only my third favorite episode.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comparative images from the cold open in season 8 to a shot from episode 1.

They look very similar, but i'm not 100% convinced. What do you think?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Padan Fain in the show is a good villain with a tasteful mix of charisma and grodyness.

Padan Fain in the books is some weird little gremlin on a darkness-infused coke bender.

Show is good.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CainFortea posted:

oh poo poo yeah that's the same place

very cool, good catch

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

eke out posted:

very cool, good catch

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

CainFortea posted:

Those are absolutely the same location. Check the grouping on the right half.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Scissorfighter posted:

or the building next to the river in the middle

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

CainFortea posted:

I'm convinced. The river through the middle flowing around the donut, and the relative heights of the background pillars to the buildings cinches it for me. It ain't 1:1 but honestly given the Breaking, it's probably too similar.

Mazed posted:

Padan Fain in the show is a good villain with a tasteful mix of charisma and grodyness.

Padan Fain in the books is some weird little gremlin on a darkness-infused coke bender.

Show is good.
This is gremlin erasure and I won't stand for it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Scissorfighter posted:

I was like, 90% sure. But the left side looks wrong and there's not even a hint of a wall thing in the background, that's why I wasn't positive.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I did not like that.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

CainFortea posted:

It’s got to be the same, the little round building in the middle appears in both. Very good spot.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Really enjoyed The Dark One's casting. They did a great job with the role.

Was that actually the Dark One though?

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving
Uh, spoiler-adverse people maybe don't look at the x-ray info because unless my brain is full of holes from the last couple of weeks there's a pretty big (production/public knowledge, but) non-show-mentioned thing in there in a big way.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Small White Dragon posted:

Was that actually the Dark One though?

Seems like it. The stuff at the Eye of World deviated quite a bit from what I've read of that part of the book. For example EVERYONE is at the Eye; Rand, Moiraine, Egwain, Nynaeve, Mat, Perrin, Lan, and Loial. And they're not confronted by the Dark One himself, but two of the Forsaken who are there to stand in for him. But since they really haven't touched on the Forsaken all that much or built them up as a threat alongside the Dark One, gently caress it, here's Shai'tan himself. Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hughmoris posted:

I did not like that.