Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Something that Tom or Shiv said made me think that they got together during a point when Shiv was very vulnerable and un-Roy-like. Ive seen when a party girl hits rock bottom for whatever reason and hooks up with some well-meaning goober who’s out of his depth. Very similar dynamic. Never turns out well for the goober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Also hoping Logan dies mid-way next season. Love love Brian Cox, but want to see those chickens run around headless now that they're at their lowest.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sorry to be the guy who's bad at watching TV, but I am. Connor has a different mother than Shiv, Kendall and Roman, right? Was it from a previous marriage, or an affair?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I'm sorry to be the guy who's bad at watching TV, but I am. Connor has a different mother than Shiv, Kendall and Roman, right? Was it from a previous marriage, or an affair?

Logan’s first marriage with a woman who I think has been mentioned once, if ever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I wondered the same thing, but I just checked a wiki. Because of course one exists.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yea I'm not a big fan of when writers mention something once in a show buried in dialogue somewhere and then refer to it repeatedly later like it was something very well established. Maybe it's fan service for when folks hang on every word, I'm not sure. Connor having a different mother is one of those things.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Connor's mom ended up in a loony bin. It crops up several times in the show.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Shageletic posted:

Connor's mom ended up in a loony bin. It crops up several times in the show.

I don't recall that ever being mentioned... Sure it was from this show?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

It’s come up a few times, yeah. Roman mocked him at one point for crying about his mom going to “the booby hatch”. It’s not clear if she’s still alive though, but I’d guess not.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

DropsySufferer posted:

I don't recall that ever being mentioned... Sure it was from this show?

Roman brings it up back in season 2.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Connor’s mom was also the person who established the ballet charity I believe?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The Beauty Of (cinematography Youtube channel) just did a Succession episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn6k4STHwiA

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

Finally got caught up on this season- random thoughts on the finale:

Tom has always viewed Greg as a younger version of himself, but Greg really did a wonderful job of cementing it when speaking to Tom about the Contessa. When Tom says "You're one plane crash from being the weirdest King in Europe" is such a good line because Tom has clearly always viewed himself that way, even if it wasn't true organizationally. Also, Greg describing the situation with Comfry- "She's not that into me... separate bedding... it's a guilt free switch up." also works beautifully as an analogue for Tom's relationship to Shiv. Comfry works in online branding and the Shiv marriage has always been one of necessity. I don't think that the show has ever really been convincing that Tom has actual feelings for Shiv. Their relationship, like those created by all of the Roys, is purely transactional.

More of Tom in that scene- "Who has ever looked after you in this loving family?"

I've really enjoyed the corruption of Greg as a subplot. When Tom tells Greg that his move could be a way for Greg out of the "endless middle" you know Greg believes it, even though just a short time ago little Greggy was having his mind blown by a swanky apartment and free food at meetings.

Big connection from Ep 8:

Also, I completely disagree with anyone suggesting that Caroline may have acted with any kind of regard for the wellbeing or sanity of her children. In Ep 8 when we meet Peter, she calls him "absolutely awful," "a grasping scholarship boy," and describes him as "fizzing away like a bottle of cheap prosecco." Caroline has herself a Tom clearly. The difference is that Caroline doesn't underestimate those types and probably also doesn't care that she is likely being exploited. Peter immediately asks Logan for a connection into UK politics upon their meeting, and most importantly, Caroline literally tells Shiv that she is "Having to open up the divorce agreement with [Logan]" because Peter loves the Eaton Square flat." Shiv asks if he can't just afford one on his own, and Caroline describes the business failures that Peter has experienced. The next exchange:

Shiv- "Quite the business brain."
Caroline- "He's got a very big heart."
Shiv- "Well, I suppose opposites attract."

What an incredible setup. It establishes both:

A) the divorce settlement is already open, hence justifying the speed with which it could be revised in the next episode.
And most hilariously B) Caroline murdered all of her children so her scumbag new husband could have an apartment he likes.

I also feel like Tom telling Greg about the switch up to a better date is exactly what Tom did to Shiv, switching up to her dad

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I've only just caught up on the entire season.

Was the scene with Roman and Mencken in the bath room overflowing with homoerotic energy, or am I imagining things?
I mean, more than between Roman and everyone else, because there's an already high baseline.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

EricBauman posted:

I've only just caught up on the entire season.

Was the scene with Roman and Mencken in the bath room overflowing with homoerotic energy, or am I imagining things?
I mean, more than between Roman and everyone else, because there's an already high baseline.

Absolutely. I definitely thought ". . . is he about to make a pass at Roman?"

Also I cannot think about Roman's without considering him to be a much less extreme version of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5oBBziEl8E

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

DaveKap posted:

But the point is that Greg is a bad person pretending to be good... and Tom's employees...

...maybe deserve it? It'd be a funnier and more entertaining twist to the series than Tom wearing a wire, at least.

Just catching up on this thread and it's always hilarious seeing a show about complex characters navigating their lives put through the reddit/twitter matrix of 'good character' or 'bad character'. Like, the whole point of Succession is they're all people driven by greed and a lust for power, but are still people with ideals and relationships and who are written well enough to be relatable and even likeable. There are no secret 'good' characters and no fence to put characters on different sides of. Just well-written interesting characters who are caught between their self-interest and their interpersonal relationships (or maybe the cutthroat demands of top-level capitalism and their basic sense of humanity) in a way scares people who need to know who to root for.

If anything, the way Greg gets slowly corrupted through the course of the show is a good example of this. I think it's a little simplistic to be like 'Waystar has brought out his true bad self' when the show is clearly going more for an exploration of how people are influenced by their environment. I think the only thing about Greg that's really secret at the start is just how perceptive he is - all through the first couple of seasons he's watching and learning how to maneuvre in the c-suite world, despite his awkwardness.

Anyway, loved season 3. The whole scene with the 3 siblings outside in the final ep is just a perfect summary of what the whole show is trying to go for.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The Grumbles posted:

Just catching up on this thread and it's always hilarious seeing a show about complex characters navigating their lives put through the reddit/twitter matrix of 'good character' or 'bad character'.
You may have skimmed over the first post I made about it where I said it was a take I grabbed from Reddit and re-watching the show with that take in mind might actually hold up. I, for the record, don't actually believe it, but I do think it's a funny concept whether it's true or not. I also understand your post may be referring to the Reddit posters and not me, I just... y'know... want to make sure folks don't suspect me of being one of the conspiracy theorists with this show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I love that Tom's deal proposal to Greg hinged on a shift from "endless middle" to "bottom of the top".

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

sticklefifer posted:

I love that Tom's deal proposal to Greg hinged on a shift from "endless middle" to "bottom of the top".

Agreed — the writing there was particularly tight and witty. There is something that feels truly endless about the middle.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My mom now think I am insane because i empathized with Tom over Kendall. She asked me "Why do you always take the side of the WEAK?" and only sees him as a gold digger. I think he genuinely seems to love Shiv and the way she treats him just rubs me the wrong way. Am that pathetic?

Edit: I confess that maybe i am just a tad jealous that my mom seems to show Kendall far more pity and empathy than she has ever shown me. Yes, I might in fact be jealous of a FICTIONAL CHARACTER.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 29, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Your mum sounds nice.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AceOfFlames posted:

My mom now think I am insane because i empathized with Tom over Kendall. She asked me "Why do you always take the side of the WEAK?" and only sees him as a gold digger. I think he genuinely seems to love Shiv and the way she treats him just rubs me the wrong way. Am that pathetic?

Edit: I confess that maybe i am just a tad jealous that my mom seems to show Kendall far more pity and empathy than she has ever shown me. Yes, I might in fact be jealous of a FICTIONAL CHARACTER.

I wouldn't be embarrassed about this; if anything, it's worse that your mom feel that way, that much stronger, towards a fictional character than a real-life person.

I'd be upset if my parents did that for someone IRL, but I'd be WAY more upset about it if it was for someone who didn't even exist.

She should be the embarrassed one, though something tells me that she's not feeling any of that at all.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
That's not pathetic. Succession is one of those shows, where, yes, every character loving sucks rear end, but I would say (almost) every viewer has SOMETHING that makes them go "[character] sucks and is a rich rear end in a top hat, but drat, I feel for them right now!" whether that be a loveless relationship, an addiction, abuse from parent(s), being caught between money and morals, constantly being left out because you have a different parent, being seen as less-than because you're a woman, having money but no one you can trust...you get the gist.

The show is filled with people (usually family) doing so much dirt to each other, that it seems pretty normal to have moments of feeling sorry for a character, even if they're a bad person.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Does your mom have any large business you can scheme to usurp?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

AceOfFlames posted:

My mom now think I am insane because i empathized with Tom over Kendall. She asked me "Why do you always take the side of the WEAK?"

How is Kendall anything other than weak? What about him does your mom find to be strong?

E: I seriously want you to ask your mom to list Kendall's "strong" traits. He's a chump who gets taken advantage of in every business dealing, with the sole possible exception of when he convinced the employees in that internet media company not to unionize and then fired them. Of course, that's the same company he hugely overpaid for (weak), skipped an opportunity to work on the deal to go to his dad's birthday party (absolutely weak by Logan's standards), tips the internet billionaire guy off to his plan at his own birthday party and then the internet billionaire guy takes the plan for himself (weak), caves as soon as his father has any dirt on him re: the dead waiter (weak), blows off the best lawyer in the world and his own media team and lets his father flip the script on the whole scandal (weak), and can never close the deal after what, 3? 4? attempts to oust Logan. Ken is Weaky McWeakerson.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 29, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

How is Kendall anything other than weak? What about him does your mom find to be strong?

:shepspends:, would be my guess. Or trying to vote out his dad.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If Kendall wasn't rich the nonsense buzzword salad he spews when he's trying to talk business wouldn't even get him an internship.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Kendall speaks like all of the moron MBA product managers I’ve had to work with over the years, I think he’d be just fine in the endless middle

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Lately I've been seeing a lot of women doing the whole "MANIFESTING" thing on social media and it drives me insane, so I'd kill for a clip/.gif of Kendall going "manifested!" during the DoJ raid.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

If Kendall wasn't rich the nonsense buzzword salad he spews when he's trying to talk business wouldn't even get him an internship.

I think that's what my mom is fooled by. He definitely SOUNDS capable if you have no idea what business is like but if you actually analyze what he says, it's far less impressive. It also doesn't help that the official Portuguese subtitles are utterly atrocious half the time and cut out a lot of the nuance (one bit I found utterly unforgivable was inexplicably changing "climate change deniers" to "change deniers" during Ewan's "Logan is worse than Hitler" speech)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
in season 1, when bill is describing the death pit to Tom, he pulls out a laptop and says that it's airgapped, but then says he needs to print a word document, but doesn't plug in a printer cable. my immersion!

:goonsay:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Doing a rewatch with a mate that hasn't seen it. gently caress, season 2 is so good. Every episode has some iconic/memorable location or scene.

We just got done with Hungary/boar on the floor (or maybe the saferoom/Mo Lester episode, can't remember which was first). Holy poo poo, it's so much fun watching the siblings metaphorically hip checking each other behind dad's back to try and be the number 1.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Re: Tom. I've always disliked him cause of the way he treats Greg, but I've been a bit more sympathetic to him this rewatch.

I have to disagree on the Gold Digger thing though, that's just plain wrong. He had his heart set on running the company, which has been the story for the one and a half seasons. Was he after an easier way to top via nepotism? Sure. But in no way has his character been framed as "marrying into a wealthy family so he can coast by and be rich"

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

How hosed are the kids? I know the answer is "as much as the writers want them to he" but they are still super rich but no longer players in the new org?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i love tom because he's an awful, spineless little worm.

his character is great because he comes across as very cerebral (makes highbrow cultural references, understands how to play the game, is observant and weirdly self-aware), but also uses employees as furniture and gets effortlessly steamrolled by anybody with the surname 'roy'. it rules.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

Re: Tom. I've always disliked him cause of the way he treats Greg, but I've been a bit more sympathetic to him this rewatch.

I have to disagree on the Gold Digger thing though, that's just plain wrong. He had his heart set on running the company, which has been the story for the one and a half seasons. Was he after an easier way to top via nepotism? Sure. But in no way has his character been framed as "marrying into a wealthy family so he can coast by and be rich"

It might be a push to say his whole deal is wanting to run the company - I think he's more just desparately wanting to be on an even keel with the Roys + the rest of the c-suite.

One of my favourite details about him is how the Roys tend to treat him like this midwestern farmboy, when it's pretty obvious he's actually from a pretty comfortable upper middle class background (his mother is a well-regarded lawyer etc). So many scenes with him are perfect in that context - the endless middle/bottom of the top speech, his childlike glee at how great it is being extremely rich when he goes to dinner with Greg in that earlier season, etc. I love how it makes him arguably more ambitious than the Roys (because the extreme wealth that surrounds him is aspirational), but also weaker in certain ways, because he covets it, and could concievably stand to lose it in a way that the Roys couldn't. The Roys will always be obscenely rich. So to them, he's still one of the peasants because he comes from a class of people for whom money is still an object.

I think Tom might be my favourite character. I love how much the power dynamics shift depending on who is in the room with him, in a way that doesn't really happen with anyone else. But all those versions of him - cowering before Logan or beating the poo poo out of Greg - all still feel like the same person. It's just a really amazing performance, which I think slips under the radar a little because the character's not a Roy.

notaspy posted:

How hosed are the kids? I know the answer is "as much as the writers want them to he" but they are still super rich but no longer players in the new org?

Yeah one of the central conceits of this show is that barring some wild turn of plot events, the Roys are always going to be fine on a basic material level. The kids will still likely be billionaires, even if they don't have any control over the company. They're not really motivated by money because they've grown up in an environment where it is no object - it's more about power. So Connor doesn't get to have a go at being President without family control over the company, Shiv probably can't just waltz into lobbying jobs if she's not a useful asset in terms of her access to Waystar, Roman doesn't have an environment where he can jack off on a plate glass window bc he's the boss' son, etc etc.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 30, 2021

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

It might be a push to say his whole deal is wanting to run the company - I think he's more just desparately wanting to be on an even keel with the Roys + the rest of the c-suite.

He wanted to be the CEO at the beginning of the show. This is why he was so gutted when Shiv told him she's been tapped on the shoulder by Logan. Also why Roman felt super threatened by Tom when he invited him to dinner).

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

The Grumbles posted:

Yeah one of the central conceits of this show is that barring some wild turn of plot events, the Roys are always going to be fine on a basic material level. The kids will still likely be billionaires, even if they don't have any control over the company. They're not really motivated by money because they've grown up in an environment where it is no object - it's more about power. So Connor doesn't get to have a go at being President without family control over the company, Shiv probably can't just waltz into lobbying jobs if she's not a useful asset in terms of her access to Waystar, Roman doesn't have an environment where he can jack off on a plate glass window bc he's the boss' son, etc etc.

Yup.

Remember when they were at that billionaire's retreat or whatever and all the billionaires were jockeying to land their private plane first?

The kids will always be able to pay for private planes, but they'll never be anywhere near the front of that kind of line anymore, and that's all that matters to people like them.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is Romans name actually Roman or Romulus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

notaspy posted:

How powerless can a billionaire be?