Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Plus any prog musician should appreciate Carol of the Bells, because humming it is an easy way for your brain to remember a 2-against-3 hemiola (polyrhythm)

I generally use "America" from West Side Story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the covid thread:

So two weeks ago I said this:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The graph everyone should be watching like a hawk for an idea for how hosed we are is this one on gov.uk.

Well it turns out to be a bit more complex than that. Hospitalisations in the UK as a whole haven't moved that much, but then Omicron still hasn't spread to the regions as much as we would have expected.

Let's look instead at London, where Omicron is >90% of cases now.

:aaa:

BUT!

A couple of teeny tiny straws to grasp at.

First of all, admissions are up almost 200% since the 1st of December, but the amount of patients on ventilators has barely moved. Compare this to the post-Freedom Day (sigh) Delta surge - admissions went up 300% in the first three weeks and the amount of patients on ventilators doubled. Also that 200% increase in admissions is on the back of an eye-watering 400% increase in cases, again Delta gave us 300% but on a 300% increase in cases. Omicron definitely *seems* to be sending less people to hospital.

Secondly, while nationwide cases broke 100k for the second day running (:toot:), here in London we *may* have hit, and maybe even passed, the peak:

Ignore the last three days as it can take up to 72 hours for positive PCR tests to show up on this graph, the weekend slump is *back*, baby. Notice this wasn't the case for the first two weekends where the rise in cases basically flattened it out and the weekend before last where we had the first ever Sunday-on-Friday increase in cases. Also look at the LFT numbers - those are immediate (but of course many get converted to LFT+PCR cases later), and are definitely on their way down (like I say, all of those yellows would originally have been dark blue). SA seemed to pass their peak last week so that would seem to line up. Big, big caveats of course - schools have broken up and a lot of people have gone back to WFH, but against that it's the busiest week in retail (and on the Underground) of the year. However Christmas and New Years is going to be a nice big nationwide superspreader event so I wouldn't be surprised to see another vertical climb in London.

*If* - and it's a huge, huge if - we have hit the peak, and the conversion of cases to hospitalisations to deaths remains at the current rate, then that might be about the best possible outcome of all this poo poo.

Of course if it is it just emboldens the herd immunity/open 'er up crowd who will claim it was all a storm in a teacup and then if - when - we get hit with a variant that spreads like Omicron but kills like Delta or worse, then we're, really, really hosed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
The ultimate christmas song. I was 13 when this came out.
I'm informed by a comrade that Noddy Holder earns £0.5m - £1m EVERY xmas from royalties for this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpfHSqLXePI

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Of course if it is it just emboldens the herd immunity/open 'er up crowd who will claim it was all a storm in a teacup and then if - when - we get hit with a variant that spreads like Omicron but kills like Delta or worse, then we're, really, really hosed.
Say what you like about Boris when it mattered most he stared down COVID and it blinked first. That's how he saved Christmas thank god we don't have those others in is all I can say.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

that reminds me, time to play The Sinking City

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

Yeah that's the horizontal hemiola (the real kind), I guess what I'm talking about is the "vertical hemiola", more accurately called sesquialtera, where the 2 and 3 are played simultaneously. It's a fun songwriting gimmick for doing metric modulation.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It would have to out compete omicron which we're doing nothing to contain, like how would it out compete it? Isn't this just the weaker but better spreading variant that experts said would turn covid into just another flu but thought this was many years away? Like assuming the stuff about it being mild is true it seems like another amazing piece of luck along with working vaccines in a year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is not the point of omicron that it is sufficiently different that it bypasses previous immunities? Thus once it has infected a lot of people, it would become less competitive than a hypothetical high lethality variant that is also sufficiently different to evade existing immunities?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The ultimate christmas song. I was 13 when this came out.
I'm informed by a comrade that Noddy Holder earns £0.5m - £1m EVERY xmas from royalties for this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpfHSqLXePI

That's probably the only one that suits every event at Christmas.
From work event to pub night out.
It's a singalong song with no lyrics that will be dated or naff over time.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Regarde Aduck posted:

It would have to out compete omicron which we're doing nothing to contain, like how would it out compete it? Isn't this just the weaker but better spreading variant that experts said would turn covid into just another flu but thought this was many years away? Like assuming the stuff about it being mild is true it seems like another amazing piece of luck along with working vaccines in a year.

No it wouldn't, and no it isn't.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

Experts *hoped* it would. Contagiousness has almost no relation to severity of disease, Omicron *will* be replaced by something more contagious because that's how natural selection works (unless Omicron has actually reached the upper limit of how contagious SARS-CoV-2 can get which would be a lucky break but there's absolutely no indication it's the case). The next one might be less deadly, it might be more deadly, there's absolutely no guarantees either way.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

That's probably the only one that suits every event at Christmas.
From work event to pub night out.
It's a singalong song with no lyrics that will be dated or naff over time.

It's the one I hate the most of all the Christmas songs I hate from 4 years of retail where we had *1* Christmas tape that we had to play, constantly, 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. Forcing us to turn it over every 40 minutes was a little detail of torture that the CIA would balk at, and Merry Christmas Everybody was at the end of Side 2, and hearing it meant I'd have to turn it over soon. Band Aid was the first track on side 1 and I've been purposely working to make the famine in Ethiopia worse ever since (by always finishing my dinner cos my mum always told me there was starving kids in Africa that would be grateful for that food if I didn't).

Funnily enough there were a couple of songs on that loving tape that I can still stand. Christmas in Hollis is still a banger, and I've always had a very weird soft spot for Stop The Cavalry, I think because if you actually listen to the lyrics it's pretty loving dark.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's the one I hate the most of all the Christmas songs I hate from 4 years of retail where we had *1* Christmas tape that we had to play, constantly, 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. Forcing us to turn it over every 40 minutes was a little detail of torture that the CIA would balk at, and Merry Christmas Everybody was at the end of Side 2, and hearing it meant I'd have to turn it over soon. Band Aid was the first track on side 1 and I've been purposely working to make the famine in Ethiopia worse ever since (by always finishing my dinner cos my mum always told me there was starving kids in Africa that would be grateful for that food if I didn't).

Funnily enough there were a couple of songs on that loving tape that I can still stand. Christmas in Hollis is still a banger, and I've always had a very weird soft spot for Stop The Cavalry, I think because if you actually listen to the lyrics it's pretty loving dark.

I think Greg Lake's I believe in father christmas is possibly my favourite. It has a dark aura.

Home Bargains was playing All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth the other day.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 24, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
When the Lego movie came out the Lego stores had the everything is awesome song on a loop

The staff threatened a global mass walk out unless it changed and so it got switched to every 20 minutes.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

learnincurve posted:

When the Lego movie came out the Lego stores had the everything is awesome song on a loop

The staff threatened a global mass walk out unless it changed and so it got switched to every 20 minutes.

Forza Horizon 4's Lego expansion has a radio station that just plays that song on repeat forever

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Stop the Cavalry is very good but the best Christmas song is the version of Merry Xmas Everyone where every line is "Are you hanging up your stocking on your wall?" until your brain drops out of your nose.

https://youtu.be/-k4yjCo8JWs

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Labour have taken Handforth South (Jackie Weaver territory - "You have no authority") from independent apparently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Stop the Cavalry is very good but the best Christmas song is the version of Merry Xmas Everyone where every line is "Are you hanging up your stocking on your wall?" until your brain drops out of your nose.

https://youtu.be/-k4yjCo8JWs

There is a whole genre of those and they are good fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MBXxhOmAg0

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/danhett/status/1474139556236738565

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I think i'm finally feeling festive cheer

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typical left splitting the vote.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man if they just made one version and stuck with it they'd have it in the bag.

e: lmao it took me ages to find the main/original version on iTunes.

stev fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 24, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

stev posted:

Man if they just made one version and stuck with it they'd have it in the bag.

Official UK Charts count them all as 1 apparently?

Kunts having half the top 25 is funnier than them having just #1 anyway

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah all the mixes get counted together as long as they're explicitly declared as a remix (or declared as an explicit remix I guess), Ladbab's got a couple of his on there too.
But filling out half the top of the chart is still funny as gently caress and it's good to see CassetteBoy and the Destruction Remix up there, because they stand on their own merits and also because :lmao:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7xr3GxELKQ

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Band Aid was the first track on side 1 and I've been purposely working to make the famine in Ethiopia worse ever since (by always finishing my dinner cos my mum always told me there was starving kids in Africa that would be grateful for that food if I didn't).
It's entirely possible that without this this year's Covid mismanagement Ladbaby would have instead tried to solve the Tigray-Amhara situation with sausage rolls, which would eventually turn out to have all been gifted to a militia controlled facility called "we turn sausage rolls into war crimes" majority owned by Gonzalo Pinochet.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

Kunts having half the top 25 is funnier than them having just #1 anyway

:agreed:

its an invasion of Kunts, an unstoppable deluge that sends far more noticeable of a message imo

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The Food Bank Choir is one of the grimmer concepts I've seen of late.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Late to this chat but Fairytale of New York is an incredible song and the only Christmas song that can make me cry. The only reason it’s not the best Christmas song is that it’s not really a Christmas song , and the one bad line that even the band itself don’t mind censoring.

The Paul McCartney one is the worst Christmas song.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Paul McCartney one is about dogging in a carpark at midwinter and then the filth cruise past and everyone pretends they're out caroling.

The party's on
The feelin's here
That only comes
This time of year
[jam sandwich approaches looking for easy pickings]
Simply havin' a wonderful Christmastime

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
BLOBBY BLOBBY BLOBBY-BLOBBYYYYYYYYYY

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Julio Cruz posted:

gently caress yeah! Oh.. wait that's the other one

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

BLOBBY BLOBBY BLOBBY-BLOBBYYYYYYYYYY
He turned out to be good too in the long run, which was a surprise but not unpleasant
https://twitter.com/WorstBlobby/status/1470378247582105602

https://twitter.com/WorstBlobby/status/1470391568435712000

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The maturing Marxist-influenced analysis of the MrBlobby of the Oppressed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I definitely think some people get fixated on spelling and grammar as an excuse not to learn how to use a language to express things.

The new labour of language.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Santa Claus you oval office, where's me loving bike... is the best Xmas song.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Acceptable reasons to correct someone's grammar:

1) Person says to you "Hi, I'm learning the language still and I'd appreciate it if you corrected me when i screw up"

Unacceptable reasons:

1) Literally every other reason.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Oh dear me posted:

Wasn't that How much is that doggy in the window?
"Kill The Poor", shuuuuurely.

Ref Flexidiscs: anyone with a Speccy might remember the hassle of trying to get The Thompson Twins Adventure to work.

Queen's Christmas Message leaked early.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

The Paul McCartney one is about dogging in a carpark at midwinter and then the filth cruise past and everyone pretends they're out caroling.

The party's on
The feelin's here
That only comes
This time of year
[jam sandwich approaches looking for easy pickings]

I’ve always felt it’s about Paul’s lot carrying out a witchcraft ceremony when someone unexpected wanders in.

standing in a circle, blood red candles blazing
The moon is right
The spirits up
We're here tonight
And that's enough
someone wanders in, switch very quickly
SIMPLY HAVIN’ A WONDERFUL CHRISTMASTIME!
SIMPLY HAVIN’ A WONDERFUL CHRISTMASTIME!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Her Dryer posted:

The Paul McCartney one is the worst Christmas song.

My wife doesn’t understand why I hate that song as much as I do, am to be fair I can’t explain it myself, it’s just utterly awful. Lives in that same space as McCartney II when he’s just gotten a synthesiser and was drat sure he was going to try every setting on it

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Noxville posted:

Lives in that same space as McCartney II when he’s just gotten a synthesiser and was drat sure he was going to try every setting on it

otoh, McCartney II is also the reason this brilliance exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE8TLDd4WrQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1474172597973704713

e: The 'Independent' winning candidate has previously stood as a Tory so I guess nothing has really changed.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 24, 2021