Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

eXXon posted:

In the broken rear end USA you can find (with difficulty) rapid PCR tests, and more easily slower PCR and various other rapid tests, all free and mostly delivered outdoors with minimal contact. So why the gently caress is Ontario cramming people into pharmacies for $40 antigen tests?

That's not true, there was a whole two hours where you could fight off a bunch of other people to pick up the 3 tests they delivered to your local LCBO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

infernal machines posted:

same.

there's also at least one atlantic province i've completely forgotten the existence of
I believe it's called "The Fiefdom of Irving" and we're not allowed to know more than that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

eXXon posted:

In the broken rear end USA you can find (with difficulty) rapid PCR tests, and more easily slower PCR and various other rapid tests, all free and mostly delivered outdoors with minimal contact. So why the gently caress is Ontario cramming people into pharmacies for $40 antigen tests?

Covid is only non-transmissible if money is being exchanged. That's why Christmas is cancelled but restaurants are open.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

enki42 posted:

Ontario basically doesn't have testing right now. Ottawa and London are saying "if you feel sick, just assume you have COVID and isolate, don't book a test" and everywhere else it's like 4-5 days before you can find an appointment (I checked Hamilton yesterday out of curiosity and it doesn't even let you look for test appointments, it just gives you a message that everything is booked and check back in a few days)

Based on the growth we were seeing prior to testing getting overwhelmed, we should be well over 10K by now.

There's an outbreak at my wife's work and they basically have had to do contact tracing themselves and rely on rapid tests.

Nova Scotia, until recently a paragon of testing, is also down to that. PCR tests only if you have symptoms AND are a vulnerable symptoms. If you have symptoms try and get a rapid test. If you're positive, notify personal contacts yourself.

Honestly at this point testing matters less. We know the virus is spreading rapidly, knowing which individual person has it doesn't matter too much unless vulnerable populations are involved.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
It does actually matter because the entire economy has hinged on negative and positive test results for employment leaves for the last two years. People are all hosed without the ability to get a test

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

linoleum floors posted:

It does actually matter because the entire economy has hinged on negative and positive test results for employment leaves for the last two years. People are all hosed without the ability to get a test

Yeah, this is basically (in winter) the same as saying "we're locked down" but without the government support that would entail. Headache because there's a chinook, sore throat because the air is too dry, runny nose because it's cold? Well, guess you need to assume you have COVID legally speaking! No we won't be supporting you.

The absolutely absurd thing is the standard of "assume you have COVID if you have any symptoms and isolate 10 days or until symptoms resolve" is functionally no different from a very severe lockdown, except they don't have to use the word "lockdown".

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1474150484210380825?t=-ujRr46HYFJD644Q_13yLA&s=19

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1474152479373856769?t=r06sUzLnqKYb44-rgg4M7w&s=19

Seems bad. Oh well, time to gather with as many people as I can to suck and gently caress under the mistletoe

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

linoleum floors posted:

Even government assistance (for any provinces that didnt cut it the second wave 1 started the wind down) requires positive test results too, so its not just companies saying "Good luck!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Seems bad. Oh well, time to gather with as many people as I can to suck and gently caress under the mistletoe

Man, I have been going to the wrong Christmas parties.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Sashimi posted:

I'm wondering if the difference is that their testing infrastructure is less lovely than Ontario's, so their numbers are merely more accurate.

I don't know what rules are used in Ontario but in Quebec, they have started to tell people without symptoms to not bother getting tested so the positivity rate is going up by a lot. Our capacity is maxed out so they try to have the more useful test done. They also stated asking employer to consider rapid test as a valid proof of positivity so people don't need to get a second test and thus eating capacity.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I’m so used to the BC government leaving us to die this year that I just do my own thing now and ignore anything they have to say cause I automatically assume it isn’t enough or is totally wrong. So far I’m still alive!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

linoleum floors posted:

I meant matters from an epidemiological perspective.

But yeah it matters a lot because so much government and beauracratic guidance rests on testing alone. It's been clear since what, summer last year? that every person in the world was going to get covid sooner or later. Of course this wasn't planned for and only short-term zero-covid policies like vaccine mandates were used and now governments are for the nth time loving winging it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

I love that this mentality persists until the infrastructure they rely so heavily on, like warehouses and the shipping industry, get swamped with cases and shut down and only then the big red emergency light go off and then promptly ask how they possibly could have seen this coming or stopped it from happening. I know everyone shits on Alberta for this but its extremely prevalent here in Ontario too.

The shipping industry getting infected leads to actually important people(aka the rich) being in danger so suddenly it's all hands on deck.

Until then though they don't care, go back to work and die, rich suburbanites are totally immune to filthy poor diseases *smokes rolled up $1000 bills*

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 24, 2021

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

I love that this mentality persists until the infrastructure they rely so heavily on, like warehouses and the shipping industry, get swamped with cases and shut down and only then the big red emergency light go off and then promptly ask how they possibly could have seen this coming or stopped it from happening. I know everyone shits on Alberta for this but its extremely prevalent here in Ontario too.

No tests, no cases, no shut downs. Problem solved! :eng101:

We had a confirmed case at my warehouse and I literally can’t get a test. We have not been advised by the public health unit, found out through the grapevine.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Glimpse posted:

We had a confirmed case at my warehouse and I literally can’t get a test. We have not been advised by the public health unit, found out through the grapevine.

Covid is a quantum virus, it doesn't exist until you confirm it's real

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Things are going great in Manitoba

image upload

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What garbage-rear end image host is that?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

thanks, imagetrumpet

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Kenney's Wuhan bat soup comment draws criticism, premier's office claims 'scientific theory' far from racist

"Who knows what the next variant that gets thrown up is? I don't know," said Kenney in the interview. "And what's the next bat soup thing out of Wuhan? I don't know."

What a despicable loving piece of poo poo, I didn't know I could hate this man more but here we are.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jan posted:

What a despicable loving piece of poo poo, I didn't know I could hate this man more but here we are.

If it helps he also wrote a gushing eulogy on Twitter for his fellow disgusting racist and bigot Ted Byfield.

Byfield often referred to homosexuality as a disease that had to be cured and I’m glad he lived just long enough to see conversion therapy banned.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Glimpse posted:

I don't know *anyone* who's actually been called by public health or a contact tracer, it's purely been word of mouth from people with covid (or parents of such). I'm real sick of BC loving this up over and over.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all of you. May your family meals be politics and covid free.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I missed Xmas at my moms because of a sudden onset head cold/covid but can’t test because rapid tests haven’t been in stock all week. Thanks Kenney!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
We cut down our holiday plans to just my wife's immediate family. Sad to miss out on seeing some of the other people, but with immediate family that's just 7 people including us.
Everyone's all vaccinated up so it feels pretty secure.

Hope everyone else here was able to do some sort of thing for the holidays.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I had a zoom call from my basement, and read a few rousing text messages; we ordered sushi (since the kitchen's off-limits) and just for fun I spent some time on the other side of the room, playing the video games on that side.

It's better than it sounds.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Hey does uhhh ArcSquad still post in this thread? I was talking to a family member of my partners and we got onto the topic of transcription work. I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of companies or agencies or ... something? for this line of work. Step zero essentially.

Thanks if you're still around!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Capital Letdown posted:

Hey does uhhh ArcSquad still post in this thread? I was talking to a family member of my partners and we got onto the topic of transcription work. I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of companies or agencies or ... something? for this line of work. Step zero essentially.

Thanks if you're still around!

The legit online money making thread is filled with transcription type work.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476455&pagenumber=145&perpage=40

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

unknown posted:

The legit online money making thread is filled with transcription type work.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476455&pagenumber=145&perpage=40

Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

there's a thread for everything on this website

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/1475171804456972289

Has Kenney been essentially reposting Trump tweets a lot? Just wondering whether he has his finger on the pulse of the province.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 27, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lol at the idea that Spanish Flu ended WW1 tho, what a pointless take

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

eXXon posted:

Has Kenney been essentially reposting Trump tweets a lot? Just wondering whether he has his finger on the pulse of the province.

We have a higher COVID test positivity rate than he has approval rating. I think it's safe to say he does not.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

Lol at the idea that Spanish Flu ended WW1 tho, what a pointless take

WWI is often taught in grade nine so in his defence, by that time the teachers were using words that were way too big for him to understand.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

InfiniteZero posted:

WWI is often taught in grade nine so in his defence, by that time the teachers were using words that were way too big for him to understand.

Not absolving anyone here, but high school history teachers are often pretty high up in the rankings of teaching things they barely understand themselves. Unless you luck into one of the real history nerds.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Fidelitious posted:

Not absolving anyone here, but high school history teachers are often pretty high up in the rankings of teaching things they barely understand themselves. Unless you luck into one of the real history nerds.

Not even that really. Outside of a very narrow slice of upper academia most history is taught as a means of instilling ideology in citizens, not out of a noble desire to set the record straight. And even within that narrow slice you can’t deviate too much from accepted lines without finding yourself exiled pretty quickly.

Civil war history is particularly bad for this in the US, very few people will actually take up the position that the Confederacy was entirely an entreprise of rapacious, insane greed and fascist extraction, nor that for a major portion the north was letting them win because their commanders were all friends with the southern gentry. Lost cause is what allows America to reconcile it’s history with it’s image so that’s what gets taught almost everywhere, and certainly among ‘scholars’

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 28, 2021

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Absolutely, and while it's american-focused, the book "Lies My Teacher Told Me" is a fantastic review of widely-used history textbooks that covers all those points and more.
The author also has a follow-up about markers at historical sites.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
God, people jump through so many hoops to say “it wasn’t about slavery” when you show them the declarations of secession that say “we’re leaving the union so we can do a slavery.”

Or, you know, the confederate constitution that changes exactly four things: length and term count of the president, line item veto, water trade between states, and….mandatory slavery.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
'The civil war wasn't about slavery' has a little bit of truth to it. It's not that the south wasn't fighting to keep slavery, it totally was. The thing is, the north didn't give a poo poo about the enslaved, they just wanted to destroy the southern states economically.

So it wasn't about slavery, it was one group of lovely rich people sticking it to another group of lovely rich people. Once that was done freed slaves were still treated like so much poo poo from both sides.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Slavery in the south; human rights in Afghanistan; it works for a lot of things

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

EvilJoven posted:

The thing is, the north didn't give a poo poo about the enslaved, they just wanted to destroy the southern states economically.

So it wasn't about slavery, it was one group of lovely rich people sticking it to another group of lovely rich people.

This is utterly and completely incorrect, and I want to know which garbage Confederate sympathizer you learned it from.

Abolitionists both North and South were primarily driven by religious and moralistic reasoning that slavery was sinful and wrong, with it's supposed economic inefficiency a far lesser concern. The idea that Slavery was Bad had been the predominant one since the revolution, with the obstacles being southern elites who were absolutely wedded to slavery and pragmatic question of how abolition could be achieved. What happens in the 1830s is there is a sudden exposure of northerners to the realities of chattel slavery in the south, and that drives the demand that slavery be done away with right now, again mostly for religious reasons than any great concern for the equality of blacks.

The lovely rich people in the North were one of the strongest northern factions opposing abolition and the war, precisely because they were getting rich off plantation agriculture as much as the southern elites were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

eXXon posted:

I was happy pretending that Trump was out of the public eye and everyone was ignoring whatever he did now.

So gently caress you Kenney for showing me the latest Trump stupidity.