Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

pentyne posted:

I've not played Vampyre or Twin Mirror but they have similar reputations for "inventive and cool, but not good games"

I don't think it's been posted so: Vampyr is today's Epic freebie so the perfect way to try an 'interesting' game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Vampyr is like the definition of a 6-7 out of 10 budget concept game. A perfect freebie essentially.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 24, 2021

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
You know the drill. Validate my reckless spending or talk me out of something. :v:

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
If you’re looking for something to cut, Gris is really pretty, but also pretty much the most boring thing I’ve ever played and still finished.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

You can get Rise cheaper from Fanatical

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/monster-hunter-rise

yes, they're legit

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

chglcu posted:

If you’re looking for something to cut, Gris is really pretty, but also pretty much the most boring thing I’ve ever played and still finished.

agreed

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

You know the drill. Validate my reckless spending or talk me out of something. :v:

Are you nostalgic for Streets of Rage? If not, consider axing 4. It's not bad but I played it with a friend and it didn't blow our minds in any way. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for 40% off.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Det_no posted:

Are you nostalgic for Streets of Rage? If not, consider axing 4. It's not bad but I played it with a friend and it didn't blow our minds in any way. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for 40% off.

I played the first 3 at launch and my name is Axel. What do you think. :v:

/edit: I cut out the prices (local currency) but it's actually quite cheap here anyway.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
SOR4 is loving good as hell even if you have no nostalgia for SOR.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

chglcu posted:

That summarizes my experience with the game as well, perfectly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

you really gonna be playing anything besides monster hunter when it’s out?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Edmond Dantes posted:

Gunpoint is excellent. I need to go back to it and explore the workshop for many many more levels.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

chglcu posted:

Yeah, I went into Gris feeling like it would be a slam dunk since it kinda hits all my aesthetic buttons, and it does look/sound/move as nicely as I expected from the art and trailers, but it never quite became anything more than that. It is exactly the sum of its parts. If the discount is big enough, go for it, otherwise it's a cut.

I haven't put too much time into Sable yet but I feel like it's playing around in loosely similar waters as Gris much more successfully despite not playing anything alike.

also Streets of Rage 4 is amazing, not only would I keep that on the list but I'd probably also suggest grabbing the DLC as well

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

you really gonna be playing anything besides monster hunter when it’s out?

Pretty scared for this to hit PC as it consumed me on the Switch

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Artelier posted:

For what it's worth, the mission timers put just the right amount of stress for me. Like "Oh poo poo I have no time" at the start of the mission, and at the end I'm like "Oh I had like three full turns to spare actually..." so I feel like they were balanced perfectly. No shame in modding them if that's not the kind of stress you want to deal with though!

Occasionally they are tight as hell and make it so difficult to finish in time without losing one of the guys you've been developing forever. I remember savescumming and having like twelve goes at one mission until I finally found the perfect combination of actions to get me through without losing a crucial soldier

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That summarizes my experience with the game as well, perfectly.

I'm gonna disagree in that yes it's a little boring gameplay wise, but it's so gorgeous that I didn't mind. It's like looking at a moving painting for an hour or two

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Dr. Acula parts of Vampyr are really good and the Dracula parts are just ok.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Gris is basically a walking simulator in the format of a platformer. It's really lovely and worth experiencing, but it's so straightforward and easy that you won't enjoy it if you want any kind of challenge.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Jumping off the Vampyr discussion if you want a good Telltale-inspired adventure game Guardians of the Galaxy has very good writing and excellent environments. The combat is pretty middling and tends to drag especially early on so maybe turn up the player damage but I think $40 or $30 if you get it on Epic is very fair.

Note: It's not related to the not very good Avengers game or the Marvel movies

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 24, 2021

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Pwnstar posted:

The Dr. Acula parts of Vampyr are really good and the Dracula parts are just ok.

There really aren't enough Dr. Acula parts, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Gris is basically a walking simulator in the format of a platformer. It's really lovely and worth experiencing, but it's so straightforward and easy that you won't enjoy it if you want any kind of challenge.

I think this sums it up pretty well. At $4, though, I think it's worth taking the chance.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hub Cat posted:

Jumping off the Vampyr discussion if you want a good Telltale-inspired adventure game Guardians of the Galaxy has very good writing and excellent environments. The combat is pretty middling and tends to drag especially early on so maybe turn up the player damage but I think $40 or $30 if you get it on Epic is very fair.

Note: It's not related to the not very good Avengers game or the Marvel movies

Guardians of the Galaxy is very good and is the first game I've played that scratched the Mass Effect itch since, y'know, Mass Effect.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I guess correction it's more Deus Ex HR inspired(and in decent part the same team) but they're in a similar vein to Telltale IMO

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 24, 2021

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Ragequit posted:

Pretty scared for this to hit PC as it consumed me on the Switch

I just bought World on PC to get my fix since I played a bunch of Rise and need more, so I feel this deeply.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wasn't one of the problems with vampyr is that there is only one combat skill worth anything and the rest are only for masochists?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What's the best pirate-era sailing game that isn't Assassin's Creed 4/Black Flag or Sid Meier's Pirates!?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Wind Waker :smug:

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Yeah, platform walking sim is actually a pretty good way of describing it. I don’t have a problem with walking sims in general, but for me, Gris just wasn’t interesting enough in other areas to overcome the boring gameplay. I guess if you really value aesthetics highly, it might not be so bad, but that just wasn’t enough for me, personally.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

What's the best pirate-era sailing game that isn't Assassin's Creed 4/Black Flag or Sid Meier's Pirates!?

Uncharted Waters

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've always heard Pirates of the Caribbean / Sea Dogs (the license was slapped on right before release) was good.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

I hope someone has a good recommendation because Black Flag is peak pirate and I have never found anything to scratch the itch since I played the game and I NEED more pirating life

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

DoubleT2172 posted:

I hope someone has a good recommendation because Black Flag is peak pirate and I have never found anything to scratch the itch since I played the game and I NEED more pirating life

It is a bummer that to my knowledge no one really ever captured the swashbuckling bullshit like climbing the mast and leaping onto an enemy ship in the middle of a battle like they did.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Sea of Thieves?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It is a bummer that to my knowledge no one really ever captured the swashbuckling bullshit like climbing the mast and leaping onto an enemy ship in the middle of a battle like they did.

it's a real shame it was bolted to a lovely stealth action game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a real shame it was bolted to a lovely stealth action game.

With far cry animal hunting to increase wallet size.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wasn't one of the problems with vampyr is that there is only one combat skill worth anything and the rest are only for masochists?

What skill is that? I claimed it an hour ago but haven’t even downloaded it yet. I just wanted to make a note :D

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

DerekSmartymans posted:

What skill is that? I claimed it an hour ago but haven’t even downloaded it yet. I just wanted to make a note :D

The main thing in Vampyr that I cannot possibly emphasize enough is to play it on the lowest possible difficulty. This might be YMMV, but I adored the first few hours of the game and was incredibly sick of it by the end, largely on the basis of how much combat there was, and how frustrating the last few hours were as a low-experience/no-kill dude.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rinkles posted:

I've always heard Pirates of the Caribbean / Sea Dogs (the license was slapped on right before release) was good.

There's a certain kind of masochist that loves this game, but for 99% of everyone else it's absolutely godawful.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There's a certain kind of masochist that loves this game, but for 99% of everyone else it's absolutely godawful.
The original Sea Dogs is wonderful but avoid "To Each His Own" like the plague:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/764670/Sea_Dogs/

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FishMcCool posted:

Gunpoint is excellent. I need to go back to it and explore the workshop for many many more levels.

Yeah the only caveat I'd say people should be aware of is that the big meta-campaign mode is a little half-baked. There's nothing wrong with it exactly, but it was a post-release addition based on player feedback from people who wanted something with more structure and progression than the discrete "runs" the game was originally designed around. It's definitely a good post-release effort, but the difficulty curve is really inconsistent and the goals and unlocks aren't particularly impactful on your play.

edit: Lol i posted this and immediately realized you were talking about Gunpoint and not Heat Signature from the same dev. Completely disregard, unless you're thinking of picking up Heat Signature, which is an absolutely fantastic game but I think becomes more rewarding and fun if you approach it as a sandbox instead of focusing on the Galaxy Map meta game thing

goferchan fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Det_no posted:

What the gently caress?
Streets of Rage 4 is like, universally praised for being an evolution to the genre and is easily the best game of it's kind. Hands down.