Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cumshitter posted:

Most of my work is actually governed by FINRA, or the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. It's essentially a public/private corporation that charges a fee for services rendered in ensuring financial compliance. It's much more efficient than the inept and lazy government bureaucrats who make you, the taxpayer, pay to regulate brokerages and exchanges. It's much more sensible to have the people who use them pay for the service.

I was briefly employed by it as an officer, and I was a known as a bit of hothead. I'd casually place my gun on the desks of Chase Advisors or Merrill-Lynch executive's desks as a subtle reminder of my authority to use lethal force in my efforts to ensure compliance. Until that fateful day when I left my gun on top of of the toilet paper dispenser in the handicap stall of Fidelity's bathrooms and I was fired for gross negligence. Mostly because I wasn't supposed to be armed in the first place.

:allears:

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for refusing to let a friend borrow my hotel suite during a group vacation?

oh no, flashbacks to shared rooms for conventions aaaaaaaaaaaaa images of two women dressed as anime boys banging on my bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Midnight Voyager posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaa images of two women dressed as anime boys banging on my bed

wait wait wait, lemme get this straight: this was a bad thing?

e: well maybe you wanted to sleep or something. but still

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

camoseven posted:

Both of these people suck

How does the OP suck at all? The only conflict here is the OP didn't want to give up his room so someone else, apparently a tolerated mooch, could get laid. OP sure sucks for knowing what they want and being able to get it and clearly explaining without dissemination what the situation was.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Frequent Handies posted:

How does the OP suck at all? The only conflict here is the OP didn't want to give up his room so someone else, apparently a tolerated mooch, could get laid. OP sure sucks for knowing what they want and being able to get it and clearly explaining without dissemination what the situation was.

His friend says they were supposed to all share a room, pretty rude to go get one of your own and make the rest pay more

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
He established he was doing that before they even picked a location. They knew the financial burden going into it.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
It did seem like from the response to his friend that he wanted his own room from the beginning. So while it feels a little lovely to force the 3 to spend more, if he was upfront then I don't think it's that big of a deal

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

camoseven posted:

His friend says they were supposed to all share a room, pretty rude to go get one of your own and make the rest pay more

Yeah, his friend also said he was supposed to give him his room because he wanted to screw.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

camoseven posted:

All evidence says OP was upfront, so while OP sucks he sucks marginally less than the other guy who seems to have just felt entitled to a free gently caress den.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

wait wait wait, lemme get this straight: this was a bad thing?

e: well maybe you wanted to sleep or something. but still

They made it super weird by insisting AGGRESSIVELY that they were not lesbians or bisexual, they just wanted to see pictures of the two anime guys banging. (nobody there had any homophobia issues, we had lesbians and bisexual ladies around!) Both of them were extremely adamant that they were straight and doing it for photoshoot jerking material. They made it astoundingly weird. I cannot express how weird it is to be saying "dude, why are you doing this on my bed? Some of my clothes are still on it!" and have them be like "the lighting is better, BUT WE ARE NOT ACTUALLY HAVING SEX, WE'RE NOT LESBIANS" in response.

Also I was uhh, a young, sheltered asexual girl on my first big trip without any family or anything, so it was generally unpleasant to be surprised by in a "I am in no way prepared to have this dumped on me out of nowhere" way. They were total strangers to me, friends of a friend who was also on the trip but not present for this weird surprise. She was also confused by the whole thing.

MVP: The photographer, who basically evaporated the moment she realized that this was not an approved thing by all people in the room. I don't even remember her leaving, she was just Gone.

CONTENT:

AITA for making my boyfriend eat meat at my family gathering even though he's vegetarian?

quote:

My boyfriend (24) and I (28) have been together for two years. Yesterday, we were visiting my family because we won't be able to be with them on Christmas, so we wanted to drop off some presents. It was also the first time that my boyfriend met my entire family, so it was kinda important.

Here's the thing, I forgot to tell them that my boyfriend is vegetarian, so my mom made a turkey and there wasn't really anything else to eat, beside some snacks. When I realized that, I quietly asked my boyfriend to please not cause a scene, and just eat the food and compliment my mom on it. He tried to argue back, saying that he doesn't wants to lie to my mom but I told him he would come across as rude if he didn't atleast tried it, and I didn't wanted him to make a bad impression. So he sucked it up, ate an entire plate and told my mom that it was delicious, which obviously made her happy.

We had a good evening and everyone seemed to like him, but when we drove back home he brought it up again and said he thinks it was kinda hosed up of me to expect him to eat meat, when I know how much it disgusts him. I get his point and I apologized to him, bit I still don't think that it's that bad to eat a bit of turkey once, to not make a weird first impression on my family. AITA?

edit: a few people are asking why there was nothing else that he could've eaten and like I said, there were of course some other snacks and a couple of different sauces, but nothing that would've been considered a decent meal without the turkey.

gently caress kind of meal is this? "Snacks" and "sauces" and then just a turkey, fuckin eat.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Midnight Voyager posted:

CONTENT:

AITA for making my boyfriend eat meat at my family gathering even though he's vegetarian?

gently caress kind of meal is this? "Snacks" and "sauces" and then just a turkey, fuckin eat.

Life imitates art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um2p4GlEbKg

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Midnight Voyager posted:

Maybe there's bacon in everything?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Maybe there's bacon in everything?

They say there was nothing that could be a meal without the turkey in particular though! Just imagining them rolling up to this meal with a turkey, some "snacks" (what the gently caress do you serve at a meal that you'd call a snack??), and sauces. Eat your potato chips and turkey with your BBQ sauce.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
turkey, ranch, corn chips. bone apple teeth!!

AITA for leaving without my girlfriend

quote:

My girlfriend Audrey does this thing, anytime we're going somewhere and about to leave she'll randomly remember she has to do something or grab something. Which isn't a big deal when we're driving ourselves. She does it when we take rideshares too. I've had to pay the $5 cancellation fee several times because she was dilly dawdling around. 5 bucks isn't going to break the bank but it's annoying and adds up. And of course I'm the one always paying the 5 dollars.

Yesterday we were meeting my brother and SIL for dinner and drinks. So we were taking lyft. I waited til Audrey was ready and triple checked she had everything prior to requesting a ride. We we're both in the living room waiting, as soon as the car was on our block she remembered that she wanted to grab a scarf she was giving my SIL. Then she couldn't find it.

I said "worry about it later I'm sure SIL doesn't care, let's go". Then I got the notification that the driver would leave in 1 minute. I said "come on let's go". Audrey told me to just cancel the ride and order another one. I said no and told her I was leaving and she should come with. She refused so I left.

She didn't come to the restaurant, and when I got home she was pissed at me. She said "you should have waited instead of being an rear end and leaving without me".

If this was a one time thing I would have waited (obviously) but this is easily the 4th or 5th time she's done it and it's starting to seem intentional.

She's still mad today and said I caused her to miss dinner last night.

AITA for leaving my girlfriend at home instead of canceling the Lyft.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

okay yeah that is p hosed up. at least you got a story out of it i guess

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Both people here suck so much.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I guarantee you that while this guy was telling this to reddit and being told he's right and he should break up with her, she was telling the same story to her friends and they were telling her he's controlling and she should break up with him

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Foo Diddley posted:

okay yeah that is p hosed up. at least you got a story out of it i guess

And a lifelong distaste for Kadaj and Reno, even though I've never played a single Final Fantasy game LOL

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

mind the walrus posted:

Why does the guy suck?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

SiKboy posted:

I swear to god I'll pistol whip the next guy who says shenanigans.

shenanigans

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

No, the girlfriend sucks. The boyfriend taught her a valuable lesson.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

SirSamVimes posted:

Why does the guy suck?

for getting fed up with a passively aggressive chronically late rear end in a top hat and making them face consequences for being an rear end in a top hat

he should have just indulged this behavior forever, see? 'cuz you have to respect someone who refuses to respect your time as some bullshit loving power play

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for refusing to let a friend borrow my hotel suite during a group vacation?

This reminded me of a kind of similar situation I found myself in on a weekend corporate retreat. My employer had rented out a whole hotel, and assigned rooms to everyone on a random basis. I had paid a nominal extra fee to get a solo room, and imagine my surprise when I got to my room and found it to be a large suite (in a Beatles theme..). Everyone begged me to switch or at least host some after parties. I was like lol no get out of my room, and promptly went to sleep. I think I missed every event except the dinners, rest of the time I was sleeping in my giant suite availing myself of the minibar. Good times.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Foo Diddley posted:

for getting fed up with a passively aggressive chronically late rear end in a top hat and making them face consequences for being an rear end in a top hat

he should have just indulged this behavior forever, see? 'cuz you have to respect someone who refuses to respect your time as some bullshit loving power play

p much

gently caress that trifling poo poo

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Boyfriend did absolutely nothing wrong.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Why does the guy suck?

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Passive-aggressive moaning and then ditching her is some real "Middle School/I'm a Sigma Male" horseshit. It ain't gonna solve her tendency to be late. All it's going to do is make it "him vs her" instead of "us vs the problem."

Biplane posted:

This reminded me of a kind of similar situation I found myself in on a weekend corporate retreat. My employer had rented out a whole hotel, and assigned rooms to everyone on a random basis. I had paid a nominal extra fee to get a solo room, and imagine my surprise when I got to my room and found it to be a large suite (in a Beatles theme..). Everyone begged me to switch or at least host some after parties. I was like lol no get out of my room, and promptly went to sleep. I think I missed every event except the dinners, rest of the time I was sleeping in my giant suite availing myself of the minibar. Good times.
Tell me the bathroom was done up like Abbey Road :allears:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

mind the walrus posted:

Passive-aggressive moaning and then ditching her is some real "Middle School/I'm a Sigma Male" horseshit.

What even does this mean

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Passive-aggressive moaning and then ditching her is some real "Middle School/I'm a Sigma Male" horseshit. It ain't gonna solve her tendency to be late. All it's going to do is make it "him vs her" instead of "us vs the problem."

Give the guy a break. Some people need to work up to making the decision to sever. Unless you have a solution to fix chronic lateness?

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Biplane posted:

Edgewater hotel in Seattle?

littleratbastard
Aug 18, 2018

mind the walrus posted:

Sorry your boyfriend left you at home but you really should have made sure you had the scarf ready beforehand if it was that important (or offered to pay the cancellation fee)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

What even does this mean
It means "you dunked on me." Good job. You're better than me. :iceburn:

Dazerbeams posted:

Give the guy a break. Some people need to work up to making the decision to sever. Unless you have a solution to fix chronic lateness?
Either they both give enough of a gently caress to talk it out and find compromises/fixes, or they don't. Unfortunately a big paternalistic "teachable moment about consequences" is gonna make it that much harder both to solve the issue, and exit the relationship with a clean conscience of "Well, I did everything reasonable on my end." Then again for all I know these are 19 year-old pseudochildren so :shrug: .

littleratbastard posted:

Sorry your boyfriend left you at home but you really should have made sure you had the scarf ready beforehand if it was that important (or offered to pay the cancellation fee)
I like where your head is at but all you really did was reiterate the OP and not grab anything that connected me to being the girlfriend of the story. Pretty good for off-the-cuff though.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

mind the walrus posted:

It means "you dunked on me." Good job. You're better than me. :iceburn:.

:dafuq:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Edgewater hotel in Seattle?

In norway of all places.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

mind the walrus posted:

Either they both give enough of a gently caress to talk it out and find compromises/fixes, or they don't. Unfortunately a big paternalistic "teachable moment about consequences" is gonna make it that much harder both to solve the issue, and exit the relationship with a clean conscience of "Well, I did everything reasonable on my end." Then again for all I know these are 19 year-old pseudochildren so :shrug: .

There is a time and a place to talk out these problems, and that time is not when there's a car outside waiting for you.

ya dangus
Jul 2, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Clam? Is that you?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

mind the walrus posted:

It means "you dunked on me." Good job. You're better than me. :iceburn:

I like where your head is at but all you really did was reiterate the OP and not grab anything that connected me to being the girlfriend of the story. Pretty good for off-the-cuff though.

Uh huh. They already talked about it and he's already made significant efforts to work around her, to no avail. What more is there left to do?

Leaving on-time isn't a made-up bullshit punishment. He's not threatening her funko collection, he's following through on the original plan that they both agreed to.

You need to see your boyfriend's point of view, you said you were ready to go then all of a sudden you're un-ready and he had to foot the bill. Again. Surely you see why he'd be frustrated.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sometimes I just remember that the official employee photo for Jorts the cat was an orange sweet potato and laugh.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Sometimes I just remember that the official employee photo for Jorts the cat was an orange sweet potato and laugh.

I typed Jorts into Google and it auto-completed to Jort the Cat.

Life can be beautiful.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
He used the phrase "dilly-dawdling" and what the gently caress even is that.
Dude was right, though. Saying "ok, I'm rolling out because we both agreed we were ready, and I checked in multiple times that you were ready, and now you're not ready with a minute before our ride leaves" is just good boundaries.
Also lol he made her miss the dinner. Her plan was to have him order another ride, a thing she was apparently totally unable to do for herself?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Sometimes I get so caught up in fishing Super Cucumbers at the beach that I forget that Gus closes The Saloon closes at 12am. The girlfriend should just install a mod to stop time to help with her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Sounds like the boyfriend tried literally everything except actual consequences and nothing got through.