Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

HaB posted:

She gets stuck on the bonfire easily, and you can just poke away.

Step-ashen, help me I'm stuck on the bonfire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

bop bop perano posted:

From the wiki:
“ Brightstone Cove Tseldora, mini-quest: You must guide one of the boars from the Royal Army Campsite bonfire all the way down towards the end of the level, past the boss Magus & Congregation and across the spikes. On the room where you are ambushed by ceiling-spiders, right before the dark room with many spiderwebs, there are mushrooms in the middle that will be eaten by the pig, revealing the pickaxe.”

This may be one of the most obscure stuff I've ever seen in a souls game.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Afaik Yuria only drops her sword when murdered, to get Dark Hand you still need to fork out 12k souls to a vendor.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Yeah I hadn't played the Knight until now, and yes, it's definitely easier. The stats are all in the right place, you even have an attunement slot if you decide to go for miracles or pyromancy. You start with great armour and weapons. All in all it's a great way to begin, and seems to be one of the most points efficient classes. I had wanted to make a Paladin type, but I started out as a Cleric. It took me ages to get decent armour, and to be able to shift the stats around as best I could to try and make him work. This way is a lot easier, especially since I know more about the game. Vordt's hammer is nice, but I think I'll stick to these two weapons, and when I need to use frost, I'll go for the Irithyll Straight Sword.

I have a little way to go before I swing back around and go for the Dancer. I think I'll fight her before Deacons of the Deep and Abyss watchers.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Fwiw armor is an afterthought. Wear what looks cool, Fashion Souls is the endgame. The difference in protection between rags and platemail is minimal. The big nasty does not care what your defense is, it can flatten you in 3 hits. As for starters Pyromancer is also a solid pick because you start the game being able to chuck fireballs at your problems, and drat near everything has a weakness to fire.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing about armour that does kind of matter is poise. It's not nearly as useful as it was in previous games, but if you are using a heavy weapon (UGS, greatsword, greathammer, greataxe, plus a few others) it will let you trade hits without getting staggered, which is situationally useful even in PvE. If you are using lighter weapons though, it's 100% useless so it's safe to ignore (they don't get any attack frames that actually make use of poise, it's a whole confusing thing that for ages people thought was straight up broken because of how specific the use case for it is).

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
cathedral knight armor set or get out

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Node posted:

cathedral knight armor set or get out

It's cool, but what the hell is up with the floppy bits of chainmail hanging down?

Also, Dancer has been defeated. Took a shitload of tries, a lot of embers (which I eventually ran out of), but I defeated her using my Heavy Claymore. Grass Crest Shield on the back, Chloranthy Ring, Havel's, Life Ring and Silver Serpent (for the sweet extra souls), plus full Lothric Knight armour. I don't know if I would do this again, it's so drat hard to defeat her at early levels. Afterwards, the Deacons of the Deep were an absolute cakewalk. HSGS for the win.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Dark Project posted:

It's cool, but what the hell is up with the floppy bits of chainmail hanging down?

Gotta show off that physics engine that the next gen hardware allowed them to use.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

A strat for early Dancer that I have never tried myself is to murder Yuria of Londor for the Dark Hand (or buy it from her). Dancer is very weak to dark damage, but you need to be real close for it to hit.

Yuria can be cheesed by running just outside Firelink, she won't take a step outside. Then shoot her with arrows/spells/pyro, or just run up and whack her and run away.

Yeah I think I posted about that a while ago, I beat my head against early Dancer for a bit and then with the Dark Hand you do so much damage you just breeze through.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What are some cool dex weapons to use?

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Sellsword Twinblades are just broken if you do a 40 dex / 60 faith build and buff them. So fast and just burns through everything. If you have Ashes of Ariandel, you could do the Crow Talons / Pontiff's Left Eye Hollow cheese build. They aren't too hard to get if you respec at Rosaria for enough magic for you to cast Hidden Body and sneak down to pick them up. Uichigatana is also good, and it's available as soon as you get to Firelink. Lothric Knight Straight Sword is also boss as gently caress for a dex weapon. Great move set, great reach, and works well with a sharp infusion.

Hardcore mode - Bandit Dagger and small parrying shield. Parry/Backstab your way to victory.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Hollow Slayer Greatsword is a fun Dex weapon with a lot of poise, can't go wrong with it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

What are some cool dex weapons to use?

Carthus Curved Greatsword. But it's kinda lovely to get since it's a drop from some big skeletons but totally worth using. Flamberge can drop really early ingame (from the greatsword wielding hollows at the Undead Settlement) and is nice too. I like the Lucerne haldberd (looted in Walls of Lothric from a corpse, really easy to get) since it's 100% trust damage on all swings, leo ring works wonders with it.

Reapers can be cool and fun to use. The Great Scythe is close to the Undead's Settlement boss so is a cool early weapon. Great Corvian Scythe is a bit stronger but it's a RNG drop from Road of Sacrifices. You get then all sorts of straight, curved swords, rapiers... etc, to fill the 1h (or even dual wield) slot. Bleed is good on this game and DEX has some really great weapons with it.

giZm posted:

Hollow Slayer Greatsword is a fun Dex weapon with a lot of poise, can't go wrong with it.

Completely missed this one and it has bonus style points considering the sad history behind this sword from a DS2 NPC.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

You could do the Crow Talons cheese build is as follows if you want to give it a go. Takes a little to do, but worth it.

You'd be aiming for an end build of 40 Vig, 20 in End and Vit (if you want to go that high in Vit, you could put those points back in End), 40 Str and Dex, and 35 in Luck. Everything else stays the same. The class that gets you here quickest is the Warrior. Next closest to this is the Knight, but requires an additional 5 levels to reach this.

Start out, kill Vordt and the Curse-Rotted Greatwood so you can transfigure his soul to get the Pontiff's Left eye. Get Yoel back to Firelink Shrine and Hollow yourself so you can draw out strength 5 times for 5 free levels and some Hollowing (16 Hollowing allows you to get all the drawn out strength levels). You then do regular stuff until Chapel in the Cathedral of the Deep. Go to the painted world, but bonfire right back to where you were. As you level, use whatever weapon you want, because you can fight through the Cathedral and finish it. Respec at Rosaria's for 15 int, then go speak to Orbeck of Vinheim in Road of Sacrifices, get him back to Firelink Shrine, give him a scroll (either Sages, or the one in Farron Keep cave area, or both) and buy Hidden Body off of him. You need to do this before you fight the Abyss Watchers, or else he will not be available. Wear the Sage's Ring and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring for this so you can cast quicker and have the buff last longer. Then alot enough Ashen Estus to get you through Painted world area to where the Crow Talons are. There are guides for how to find the Crow Talons on youtube. As you're going to want to put a Hollow Infusion on them, you'll also need to sneak into Irithyll Dungeon to get the Profaned Coal, so keep your Hidden Body spell and sneak down there. This means fighting through Abyss Watchers, Catacombs, Irythyll of the Boreal Valley, and then Irythyll Dungeon. You might want to respec back after you've got the Crow Talons, as the low level magic isn't that useful. You've got 5 free respecs, so why not? You need to kill the Bridge Lizard for Pontiff's Right Eye. From there it should be easy enough to sneak into Chapel of Yorshka, and from there down through Irythyll Dungeon for the Profaned Coal. Homeward bone out of there back to Firelink and give the coal to Andre, respec back to the main build at Rosaria. Alternate idea - Go up to 30 Int for Perstilent Mist, and cheese kill the Dancer with it so you can then sneak through Lothric Castle and Consumed King's Garden for all the Titanite Chunks you need, while killing the Lothric Knights using Pestilent Mist and Hidden Body for no-hit kills, so you can get enough Large Titanite Shards. This will allow you to buff your talons to +9 way early. Or don't if you want a normal progression.

You'll want to put a Hollow Infusion on your Crow Talons. The buff triggers off your Hollow levels (which, as you die, goes higher), and also adds to your luck stat by +5 for a +10 weapon (luck buff goes up with weapon/shield buff levels), so long as your Hollow level is at least 16. This will take you eventually to 40 luck, which helps with the damage bonus on your weapon. You need to give the Profaned Coal to Andre to allow him to Infuse the weapons. You'll want to wear Chloranthy Ring, Pontiff's Left Eye, and Pontiff's Right Eye. Last ring is your choice. One other thing you should consider doing is getting a Symbol of Avarice from a Mimic (easily done at the first one in Lothric Tower by using an Undead Hunter Charm on it while it is still in chest form), the Sage's Rapier, and whatever else you can use to increase your discovery stat. Then go to Keep Ruin bonfire and farm the Ghru just outside of it, have the Rapier on your back, Talons paired, and Symbol of Avarice as helmet. Alternatively, you can do this with your 30 int earlier on, and cast pestilent mist when no one is there, rest at the bonfire, come back and it will still be there, and kill the first two there without you having to fight, then kill the third. Hopefully with this much discovery, you'll be able to get 10 wolf swordgrass easily. Once you've got enough, go hand them in at the old wolf covenant for the Old Wolf Curved Sword. This has a very similar effect to the Pontiff's Right Eye. Equip it in offhand, wear it on your back once you pair your talons. It procs regardless of whether you have it as one of your main weapons or on your back, so works fantastically with the talons.

Once all this has been done, go back to the original build, and you've now made yourself a complete Ginsu machine. Your special attack where you pause before leaping forward in a short ranged cone-aoe slice and dice will trigger the Pontiff's Rings and Old Wolf's Curved Sword to proc, so long as you hit at least 2 targets. This also has the effect of being able to cheese your health back up to full, even if you're almost completely empty. Watch this video on how to do it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=840NUquYfXc

Congrats on being completely broken. In boss fights, use the Carthus Rouge on your Talons to make them even more bleedy-cheese. I'd recommend the Dark Armour set to hide your horribly shriveled teriyaki visage, and it pairs best with the Crow Talons. Then follow through with the quest to make Anri your Corpse Bride, and revel in your horror.

Edit: For a quicker version of this, with no need to go to the Painted World, just use the Brigand Twindaggers. That way you can focus solely on Dex. Has a really nice moveset though, as well as quickstep. I think sharp infusion would work better with these than Hollow, so you can just make a Dex/Int build from the get-go, and abuse Hidden Body to get great positioning on enemies for backstabs, as well as for buffing your weapons. Your choice as to how you want to play it.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 24, 2021

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Decided on the Sellsword Twinblades because I’m lazy — thanks y’all

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Astora Greatsword scales stupidly good with a Sharp Infusion. It's available super early too, it's just lying around in the graveyard up the path from the Cleansing Chapel. It's great for DEX builds that still want to swing a bigass sword around.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
Does anyone have any advice on how to level up/spec a pyromancer? I just picked this game up after a life age of not playing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Alternative be like me and farm most of that initial 10 swordgrass for wolf sword in forest pvp, without any twink gear or even any idea of how DS3 pvp even works.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mukulu posted:

Does anyone have any advice on how to level up/spec a pyromancer? I just picked this game up after a life age of not playing.
You're basically aiming towards 30/30 int/fth as the final spellcasting stats, anything else is up to you. The best pyro flame for damage is just the starting one. There's lots of weapons that scale with both of those stats in the game both heavy and light, so weapon choice is very free whether you want one of those or to infuse something with chaos.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Amppelix posted:

You're basically aiming towards 30/30 int/fth as the final spellcasting stats, anything else is up to you. The best pyro flame for damage is just the starting one. There's lots of weapons that scale with both of those stats in the game both heavy and light, so weapon choice is very free whether you want one of those or to infuse something with chaos.

Just 30/30 int/fth? I had a pyro on PC years ago but uninstalled the game and basically played DS3 on PS4 and I want to play a pyro again there.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

30/30 minimum, then enough other stats to do whatever.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Horace Kinch posted:

30/30 minimum, then enough other stats to do whatever.

Cool, I think my old pyro on PC had something like 45/45 but Ringed City DLC wasn't yet released when I stopped playing after beating main game+ashes.

At least it'll be a good character to beat Midir as I'll have pestilent myst present without the need for a respec for maximum cheese :mmmhmm:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Changed my mind, went with the Uchigatana for maximum weeb

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Cool, I think my old pyro on PC had something like 45/45 but Ringed City DLC wasn't yet released when I stopped playing after beating main game+ashes.

At least it'll be a good character to beat Midir as I'll have pestilent myst present without the need for a respec for maximum cheese :mmmhmm:

Midir is probably the lone boss resistant to both Dark & Fire which makes him the anti-pyromancer. On my Pyro build I used a Blessed-infused Dragonslayer Axe and whacked his face.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Hahahaha my run through the souls series is (nearly) complete and I actually managed to beat Gael in one extremely close try after the nightmare that was that whole ringed city DLC! Now just need to get some friends to gang up on Midir with me. I know I haven't been on here but that was a hell of a run starting months ago with Bloodborne and ending now. I went from completely cold on this series to this and I want more dammit.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

omg chael crash posted:

Changed my mind, went with the Uchigatana for maximum weeb

Been running Uchi since DS1. Are there other weapons?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Onikiri & Ubadachi is the one true weeb weapon.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

remusclaw posted:

Now just need to get some friends to gang up on Midir with me.

Don’t summon human phantoms or Shira for Midir. It turns the fight into a unpredictable instakill mess instead of a rhythm game. Midir is already enough of a damage sponge, and he gets a ton more HP if there are phantoms involved.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Horace Kinch posted:

Midir is probably the lone boss resistant to both Dark & Fire which makes him the anti-pyromancer. On my Pyro build I used a Blessed-infused Dragonslayer Axe and whacked his face.

He isn't resistant to Pestilent Myst and a pyro can cast that :getin:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sure it works but then I'd have been robbed of the joy of hitting a dragon with an axe.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How does the hollow build with the crow claws work?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

axolotl farmer posted:

Don’t summon human phantoms or Shira for Midir. It turns the fight into a unpredictable instakill mess instead of a rhythm game. Midir is already enough of a damage sponge, and he gets a ton more HP if there are phantoms involved.

This is silly advice. Human summons are possible, you just have to both know what you're doing. Shira is useless though and will get everyone killed. That said I wouldn't recommend anymore than a single summon.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I fought Midir myself a few times and once with a summon and the latter was more approachable even if more random. The solo fight was frustrating to the extreme, it feels like i spend the whole thing chasing the dragon around searching for rare hits. Anyhow, it will be a fun time with people i like playing with and haven't had the chance to since doing that godawful whiteout area boss in DS2 dlc.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

doing a replay of this and i was getting my rear end kicked so badly i dont know how i ever finished it the first time. im about halfway through now and i dont know why i never tried twohanding a giant hammer before because it kicks rear end and staggers alot of the annoying shithead enemies i hate the most.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

How does the hollow build with the crow claws work?

Ok first out you need to get yourself Hollowed by "Drawing out true strength" by Yoel. This gives you 5 free levels and can be done easily by just running up to the highest point in Firelink Shrine (the part which leads to the tower) and just nosediving off onto the ground below. You'll be then have a total Hollowing of 16 which is enough to get this build to work. When you use a Hollow infusion on a weapon, it boosts your luck stat by 1 for every +2 reinforcement on that weapon. So at +9 on the weapon, it gives you a bonus 4 Luck, on +10 it gives you 5 extra luck. If both your main hand and offhand have Hollow infusions, it gives you up to 10 bonus luck.

Your weapon now scales off of Luck, but still retains a D scaling in Strength, and a C in Dex. So it's kind of a Quality build with added bits. Hollowed weapons also have improved bleed capability, and bleed's trigger off your Luck stat, so you've got a bonus there. Adding in the Carthus Rouge buff (which increases bleed), and now you're off to the races, especially on fast weapons, which this is. If you use both Pontiff's Eye rings, Old Wolf's Curved Sword on your back, and your weapon buff, the speed you attack at proc's both the Pontiff's Right Eye and the OWCS, and if you're attacking more than 1 mob at a time (which you can do really well using the L2 attack on the twin paired Crow Talons), you've got a chance to over-proc on both Rings and the OWCS, giving you a massive buff to attack, as well as a chance to instantly fill your health bar. If you're having a hard time vs heavy shielded enemies with lots of poise, equip the Knight's Ring and then hit your L2 to get them to drop their shields. If you wanted to go even more crazy on your damage, you could level your stats up to 13 in Int and Faith and learn the Carthus Beacon pyromancy spell, which stacks with both Pontiff's Right Eye and OWCS, making you even more gnarly.

You'll want to have a high endurance, as the Rings, OWCS and Carthus Beacon all give benefits so long as you keep attacking. So you'll be wanting to keep moving forward, attacking, and trying to get good mob placement to rip using your L2 attack. You've also got really great leaping and backstep attacks as well, so utilise those. It's not easy getting all your stats up high, but I'd definitely recommend having the weapon requirements first (6 str, 19 dex), then 27 vig, 35 Luck, and then work on raising endurance, str and dex. Get plenty of Carthus Rouge, and get ready to slice and dice your way through the game!

SL 120 stats - Vig 40, Att 14, End 40, Vit 19, Str base, Dex 19, Int 12, Fth 12, Luck 40. This gives you enough to wield weapons, wear full Dark set, rings, plus pyromancy flame.

If you're wanting to utilise Carthus Beacon, and have the stats above, I'd recommend starting out as a Knight. It has a starting attunement slot and everything else is pretty much in the right place from the beginning. You also get great armour and weapons to help you get through the starting portion of the game. However, if you want to min-max, the most stat efficient is Thief, which gets the above stats at level SL116, which means you could have Luck at 44. It's just much harder to get through the game, you don't have good armour, and you might spend a while having to level up alternate stats to take advantage of nicer weapons and armour (for example, a Lothric Knight Straight Sword until you get the Crow Talons). Next most useful classes are the Assassin, Merc and even Deprived at SL117. I'd recommend following the guide I initially wrote about how to get the Claws etc, as it's necessary so you don't miss out on being able to buy spells from Orbeck, especially hidden body which will allow you to sneak through and get the Claw Talons from the Painted World area. You could always just boost your Int by 1 point, getting it to 10, allowing you to get him as soon as you find him on the Road of Sacrifices. But you definitely want to have him available to buy spells from.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 26, 2021

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Does that build work in PvP?

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Very much so, but you'll need to get your timing right on your L2. The good thing is that you can take on multiple assailants in a tight space and just blender them, as the L2 gives you an immense amount of poise in that moment. If you want high overall poise, you can use the Iron Flesh pyromancy instead (which requires only 8 int), use the Brigand Twindagger's and just quickstep instead of trying to fat run because of the spell. A good video on how this performs can be seen here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AauEOC7RH_M

This removes the necessity to get Hidden Body, as the Twindaggers are on Road of Sacrifices, and Iron Flesh is straight outside the bonfire for Farron Keep. That's if you don't want to cheese the Dancer early. Otherwise, level up in to 10 to get Orbeck back to Fireshrine, give him both scrolls from Farron Keep etc, buy Hidden Body and Pestilent Mist, then respec at Rosaria for 30 int (Pestilent Mist doesn't scale, damage is fixed, staves don't matter either), kill the Dancer, sneak through Lothric Castle and Consumed King's Gardens for Titanite Chunks, then respec back to your main build.

If you want to use the Brigand Twindaggers with Iron Flesh, SL120 would be Vig 40, Att 10, End 40, Vig 19 (if using full Dark Set as in previous post, could be down to 15 if wanted, allowing you to boost Luck up to 57 (62 with Hollow bonus), Str 10, Dex 18, 8 Int, 8 Fth, 52 Luck (57 with Hollow bonus), with Thief being the optimal to reach this at this souls level. Everything else would need to sacrifice Luck to do it.

Dropping down Vit to 15 and raising Luck to 57(62) means you'd be best wearing the following - Slave Knight Hood, Slave Knight Armor, Drang Gauntlets, and Slave Knight Leggings (if you're looking to maximise Physical Resistance), which means you'd need to do a run into Ashes of Ariandel to get these bits, but they're a free complete set, so no need to fight anything to get it. The cool thing is you get to look like a red-hooded psycho while doing so (name yourself Jason Todd for extra cred). Highest poise is Gundyr's Armor, and an Archdeacon's Skirt (heh). If you fully intend to embrace the use of Iron Flesh, and don't care about speed, feel free to just max out your armour as you like, as you're going to be slow anyway, and using quickstep to get around (saving enough to cast Iron Flesh when needed). You can still quickstep if you run out of FP.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 26, 2021

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Fun times invading around Yorshka's chapel this week, almost no wait time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Probably a dumb question but when is a good time to upgrade your weapon? I’m playing as a knight and I still have my starting sword because I haven’t found an upgrade since I’ve been buffing it.

I’m sure I’m missing something obvious but this is my first Souls game