Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
god drat some of you are stupid

unless you lose blood regularly you should get your supplements without added iron and vitamin k, everyone who knows anything about nutrition knows this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

love to have to consult my long scroll of posting enemies before I read posts in a forum

my list of posting enemies is just my own username over and over for several pages because we are all our own harshest critic

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

blatman posted:

my list of posting enemies is just my own username over and over for several pages because we are all our own harshest critic

That sounds like a challenge

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

Sure, but with point of sale systems you're usually dealing with hardware specifically designed to be a point of sale system, running software specifically designed to run on that point of sale system hardware.

It still sucks, mostly because everything has to make slow-rear end web calls and nobody handles them well, but beyond that there's probably a bunch of poo poo mandated by IT like antivirus running in the background, and all the popular point of sale systems are Java-based and so happily eat up whatever meager amount of RAM the thing has been spec'd with. The real fancy ones (like I'd bet that McDonalds one for example) have Java backends and Electron-wrapped web app frontends, just to make extra sure there will never be a single byte of unused RAM ever.

Late reply but I have first hand experience of this. I worked on the POS system for a major big box us store for a couple of years.

The way it worked for them was you made a call to a big computer in the back of the store that would then reference a locally stored database. If the item wasn't in that dB then the store didn't stock the item.

Response time for item lookups were around 300ms on average. I sincerely doubt that McDonalds requires an internet connection to order a big Mac.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Late reply but I have first hand experience of this. I worked on the POS system for a major big box us store for a couple of years.

The way it worked for them was you made a call to a big computer in the back of the store that would then reference a locally stored database. If the item wasn't in that dB then the store didn't stock the item.

Response time for item lookups were around 300ms on average. I sincerely doubt that McDonalds requires an internet connection to order a big Mac.

I currently work on POS systems for big box stores and oh boy do they ever require internet bullshit these days. I mean "require" probably isn't the correct term, we could make the thing perfectly functional without it. "Demand" I guess.

e: I mean what you're describing is also still 100% true, though I've never seen a "big computer" function as the backoffice instance, it's always just been the same hardware that runs the rest of the cash registers. Hell sometimes it's actually one of the cash registers that's in use, just to make sure it's as slow as possible for everyone.

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Dec 20, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

I sincerely doubt that McDonalds requires an internet connection to order a big Mac.

The picture of the kiosk with dead links to photos of the products during the AWS outage shows that while McDonalds doesn't require an internet connection to order the Big Mac, it does require one to display the entire UI.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

I currently work on POS systems for big box stores and oh boy do they ever require internet bullshit these days. I mean "require" probably isn't the correct term, we could make the thing perfectly functional without it. "Demand" I guess.

e: I mean what you're describing is also still 100% true, though I've never seen a "big computer" function as the backoffice instance, it's always just been the same hardware that runs the rest of the cash registers. Hell sometimes it's actually one of the cash registers that's in use, just to make sure it's as slow as possible for everyone.

Yeah. I work in SALT and almost all retail POS systems for big retailers are entirely cloud based now.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Charles Ingalls posted:

god drat some of you are stupid

unless you lose blood regularly you should get your supplements without added iron and vitamin k, everyone who knows anything about nutrition knows this

dude its fine, the other guys were right, i was just joking

edit: i actually encourage everyone to supplement with iron, regardless of gender identity

Anime Bernie Bro has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Dec 21, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/jeremychrysler/status/1472611271551950848

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

capitalism.png - NASCAR makes you stupid

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

I too have seen that Bill Nye the Science Guy episode

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lmao

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

dude its fine, the other guys were right, i was just joking

cope

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Iron helps us play!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Are you JOKING about IRON??? You idiots you IMBECILES iron is a serious thing

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Gosh, I'm sorry I said I never wanted to see iron again! I didn't know what I was saying!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Flayer posted:

Are you JOKING about IRON??? You idiots you IMBECILES iron is a serious thing

Servere irony poisoning ITT

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Gosh, I'm sorry I said I never wanted to see iron again! I didn't know what I was saying!

Too late buddy. NOOO IRON! *whee whoo*

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Imagine a world without Iron!
*Earth's core spontaneously collapses*

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Amazon covering up their workers deaths and lying to OSHA about it.

https://mashable.com/article/amazon-worker-deaths-bessemer-alabama-warehouse

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Panfilo posted:

*Earth's core spontaneously collapses*

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

Oof ow right in the hemoglobin

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i only accept the advice of one medical professional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0sORVBL4kM

E: if you click on a link i posted at work u deserve 2 get fired

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

what happened to that man's knees

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Complications posted:

what happened to that man's knees

they got... [*sunglasses*] ... ironed.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Switzerland posted:

they got... [*sunglasses*] ... ironed.

my god

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

back when i donated blood they kept telling me to take iron supplements but i always forgot :(

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i get all my iron from cooking on the 100% made in america cast iron MANGRATE grilling grates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XawdY22Ek

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkSMSbFV_q0

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Christ

https://twitter.com/JessFerringer/status/1473810897579745280

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

A truly capitalist bar would serve you a thimbleful of piss when you paid for a pint and while you're trying to drink your piss a private contractor shoots you in the head. Then your friends bury you by your high top table in return for credits they can redeem for thimbles of piss

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh good there's a bunch of them

https://dxn.live/

I feel like this is what happens when you let programmers out of their shame cube

e: I assume this is happy hour

https://tv.dxn.live/exchange/media/marketcrash2-low.mp4

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Dec 24, 2021

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Lol that none of the beer prices depicted are trending downward

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
How does it work? You can't sell back the beer to the highest bidder once you've drunk it, aren't they just adjusting the price based on consumer demand like every single other bar in the world?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i imagine they get their fair share of drunks getting very angry about their tab totals.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The 'fun' might be trying different things that usual, either because they are cheap, or because they are the most popular at the moment and you want to see what the hype is about.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The fun is going there early enough to sit down then dine and dashing

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

order a bunch of cheap beers then convince everyone nearby that they own, then get a refund at the now inflated price

pump and dump my pint glass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Beartaco posted:

How does it work? You can't sell back the beer to the highest bidder once you've drunk it, aren't they just adjusting the price based on consumer demand like every single other bar in the world?

Yes, the novelty part is that they adjust them every ten minutes so the prices constantly change