Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pancake rabbit posted:

more numbers! get yer hot and fresh numbers here!

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1474232521328107522

Tennessee is like 'oh btw we lost one 9/11 of people more than we've said so far' and it's just like :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Goobish posted:

Well I just started randomly yelling about people dying at my family during holiday night and totally didn't mean to loving goddmanit

I called my mom a few hours ago to say hey i've got all my presents wrapped up oh and also I'm not really coming to christmas this year. She started off with 'yes you are' and I immediately dropped 'this isn't a thing you get to have any control over.

She's not happy about it but she's convinced she sees the same information as me and because everyone who's going to be there has been vaxed and boosters that we're all perfectly safe to gather indoors for hours, maskless, drinking, and eating dinner next to each other. I wasn't about to argue that that's dumb because she isn't, uh, in this thread and doesn't have the time I do to look over all of this, I was just insistent that doing anything resembling a family gathering was an inherently dangerous idea given all the data she claims to be aware of.

'Going to treat this just like thanksgiving, I'll come over for maybe ten minutes and say merry christmas to everyone, drop off presents, and then leave. Things are already worse than last year, much worse than thanksgiving.' 'Well I don't know if they're worse.' 'Well I do know that they're worse, it's extremely obvious.'

Anyway, sorry you had to go through that. They know that times are tense, and hey know you've got a good excuse to not go back to any gatherings for a while lol

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7532752/

probably doable, at least im guessing making the attempt to do something like this (I just tested with a cut up cotton shirt as the band and it seemed to do well?) isn't gonna give you a worse seal than not bothering

I did this before shaving my beard and it definitely feels like a much better seal than just slapping a mask over your beard but it also felt harder to breath than just shaving. Still didn't feel like as good of a seal as shaving off my beard either.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

platzapS posted:

Someone who knows more about international responses: Is the Biden admin "normal" or does it seem unusually "chill"/unprepared/resigned compared to like, Britain and Australia even?

the fact that the consent manufacturing machine is going :chloe: "uhhh wtf you doin man" and we're like 2 weeks into this thing should tell you everything you need to know about what's coming

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pancake rabbit posted:

*long, deep sigh, rubs temples, pulls bottle of liquor over and starts to pour*

the what now?

obocorn

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/MarkMcGowanMP/status/1474225333901545474?s=20

quote:

I have just come from an Emergency Management Team meeting which was held to discuss the potential risks associated with the 25 year old man who tested positive yesterday.
WA Health has confirmed that, as of 9am this morning, WA has recorded four new local COVID-19 cases – in addition to yesterday’s positive case - Case 1,133.
Here is what we know so far about these cases:
One is a close contact of Case 1,133 – who also attended the Perth Mess Hall on Sunday, 19 December.
The other three cases are casual contacts of case 1,133, who also attended the Mess Hall event on 19 December, but were not known to case 1,133.
There are now 21 close contacts linked to case 1,133 – nine of whom have tested negative and the one who has tested positive from the Mess Hall event – as detailed above.
There are 991 casual contacts, of which, 336 have tested negative and three who have tested positive from the Mess Hall event – also detailed above.
I can confirm that the partner of case 1,133 and his four housemates have tested negative.
----
PERTH MESS HALL EVENT
Due to the cases emerging from the event, we are upgrading the contact status for this exposure site. This means that anyone who attended the event MUST get tested and quarantine for 14 days from the date of exposure.
As the date of exposure is 19 December, they will remain in quarantine until Monday, 3 January.
The details for the event are: Perth Mess Hall (8 Francis St, Perth) on Sunday, 19 December.
We are making urgent arrangements to ensure everyone who was at the Mess Hall event – around 400 people – are tested and quarantined appropriately.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Worryin' about covid be like wonderin' if the sun gonna come up. I'm about to mild out over it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I think a surprising amount of people know how serious poo poo is but have come to terms with just rolling the dice because if there is no end then what is the loving point.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

it would be great if someone sent this creature packing his bags to go see Jesus
:thermidor:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Business Gorillas posted:

the fact that the consent manufacturing machine is going :chloe: "uhhh wtf you doin man" and we're like 2 weeks into this thing should tell you everything you need to know about what's coming

A WINTER OF DEATH

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cr0y posted:

Oh hey I did not need to dig into this.

https://t.co/1RXqllRGcU (ABC)

No one knows anything 🤷‍♂️

quote:

The World Health Organization is investigating a mysterious illness in South Sudan that has killed dozens of people.

So far, 97 people have died of the unknown disease in Fangak, Jonglei State, in the northern part of the country.

Fangak County Commissioner Biel Boutros Biel told ABC News on Thursday that the latest fatality occurred in an elderly woman.

Deaths have mostly been reported among the elderly and children ages 1 to 14, according to a statement from South Sudan’s Ministry of Health.

The symptoms of the mysterious illness include cough, diarrhea, fever, headache, chest pain, joint pain, loss of appetite and body weakness, officials said.

quote:

According to BBC News, because the area has recently been hit with heavy floods, the WHO tested samples from patients for cholera, which is typically contracted from infected water supplies.

However, the samples returned negative for the infectious bacterial disease, the outlet reported.

quote:

"People do not have enough water or options for water storage, and there is no garbage collection, while dead goats and dogs are left rotting in the drainage systems," the statement read. "With the conditions further worsened by the influx of new arrivals [at camps], people are at higher risk of outbreaks and waterborne diseases such as acute watery diarrhea, cholera and malaria."

Test escape variant?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

cr0y posted:

I think a surprising amount of people know how serious poo poo is but have come to terms with just rolling the dice because if there is no end then what is the loving point. they don't think they're going to be "it"

ftfy

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

once half the workforce is too sick to work, consent will be the only thing still being manufactured in the USA

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

:skeltal:

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

empty whippet box posted:

once half the workforce is too sick to work, consent will be the only thing still being manufactured in the USA

We've been over this again and again. Unless something really drastic changes covid will not directly disable the workforce to the point things grind to a halt. It didn't even really manage to do so in India's Delta wave.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mild danse macabre

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FunkyFjord posted:

I'll come over for maybe ten minutes and say merry christmas to everyone, drop off presents, and then leave.

how extremely brave of you

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

So it's still mild tho right

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wang Commander posted:

We've been over this again and again. Unless something really drastic changes covid will not directly disable the workforce to the point things grind to a halt. It didn't even really manage to do so in India's Delta wave.

you mean like if the most transmissable deadly disease ever discovered in all of human history was allowed to spread uncontrolled throughout the country or something like that?

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

you mean like if the most transmissable deadly disease ever discovered in all of human history was allowed to spread uncontrolled throughout the country or something like that?

Yeah I mean exactly like that. You aren't getting the hospitalized percentage in working-age vaccinated people that you'd need to spark a collapse and hopefully change for the better period with this.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Wang Commander posted:

i agree with you but just kind of curious how your blood slowly turning into antibody slushy is going

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cr0y posted:

I think a surprising amount of people know how serious poo poo is but have come to terms with just rolling the dice because if there is no end then what is the loving point.

starving

zone
Dec 6, 2016

what do you mean, it's just china and italy grappling with it now, hang on, did they say something about this new flu causing memory loss?

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

i agree with you but just kind of curious how your blood slowly turning into antibody slushy is going

The medical researchers have kind of lost interest but the Icee corporation thinks it could be the basis for a high-protein zero-carb Icee.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wang Commander posted:

Yeah I mean exactly like that. You aren't getting the hospitalized percentage in working-age vaccinated people that you'd need to spark a collapse and hopefully change for the better period with this.

working age :confused: you mean "alive"?

zone posted:

what do you mean, it's just china and italy grappling with it now, hang on, did they say something about this new flu causing memory loss?

first I've heard of it. if it does, it's probably mild.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

KaptainKrunk posted:

we will all find out together

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wang Commander posted:

it justs creates shortages in every industry, etc

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I can't believe things are finally going off the rails this time

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

typical friday night really

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KaptainKrunk posted:

brain damage, damaged limbs, etc

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

it justs creates shortages in every industry, etc

That was really exacerbated in prior waves by quarantining asymptomatic/mild cases and sometimes even just exposures for weeks at a time, but I think we're moving away from that pretty rapidly as a strategy for dealing with Omicron.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i think a lot about a post from months ago that suggested that the doomer response in and of itself is a form of optimism. it suggested that the collapse and destruction we claim to dread in and of itself is optimistic, because with that collapse comes the possibility for change. it suggested the true dread, the true pessimism is that the system grinding us all to dust adapts to the endless death and decay and continues to lurch onwards, accepting ever increasing amounts of death and barbarism to keep itself going

anyways i'm gonna post "im gay" and go back to shitposting, but something to think about

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

'Cock-Mad Helen' is a good username. Also Iliad fanfic.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Lastgirl posted:

omoricron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LLCz1FCWrY

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

I’ll be praying for COVID to get him and kill him

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Atrocious Joe posted:

Boris Johnson is more confidently standing up to right wing opposition to public health measures. The UK's plan sucks and is vastly inadequate, but it is still far more than Biden has proposed.

we got olivia rodrigo, what more do you people want!??!?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Really loving stressed that all my family is boosted within the past couple weeks except my mom who max titered with me in August (triple full size moderna). There is no way I'm gonna be able to get her do it again.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

machine plugged in, solutions mixing

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dew worm posted:

I had little to no side effects from my 3 Pfizer shots and now I’m worried my titers aren’t up

i'm almost 12 hours out from my moderna shot after getting 3x pfizered previously and i don't feel poo poo. not even a sore arm, which was the extent of my side effects for the pfizers

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

huhwhat posted:

and with the niosh study showing valved masks work as well as surgical masks at source control

I keep hearing about this. Anyone got a link to this info? TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

there's a goon who has this video @ 0:21-0:24 as an avatar and i never notice their posts, just their avatar