Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Ah. Well, you already know all the answers relevant, so - yes, the chargers can just go kaput, I've seen that happen before, though it isn't common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cool, thanks. I guess I'll find out soon. Hopefully, it is the charger. If not, when I get home I'll send it to Nintendo for repair.

Sucks because I finally thought I was gonna finish Chrono Trigger. Oh well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does Nintendo even service 3DS systems any more?

Coincidentally, I did just find someone in SA Mart offering 3/DS repair services.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986837&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yes they do. They stopped with Wii and Wii U repairs but they strangely will still repair Wii Minis.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It was the charger. Weirdness. Thanks again.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Any hidden gems that people may have missed? Eshop only stuff? Other than pocket card jockey which, as we all know, is the GOAT.

Other small eshop games I've enjoyed a lot:
BoxBoy trilogy
Pushmo, crashmo.
Picross 3D Round 2
Crimson Shroud and Attack of the Friday Monsters - the Level 5 Guild titles were a neat experiment
If you were a fan of the old Cinq titles like Hotel Dusk, ex-cing staff made a spiritual followup Chase: Cold Case Investigations. But it's short, pretty much just a nostalgia trip.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Atlus is having a big end of year sale:

https://nintendoeverything.com/atlus-hosting-big-3ds-eshop-sale-games-10-or-less/

quote:

A new December 2021 Atlus sale has kicked off on the North American 3DS eShop with big discounts on games in the Etrian Odyssey, Persona Q, and Shin Megami Tensei series as well as Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology.

The full lineup is as follows:

– Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight – $7.99 (was $19.99)
– Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan – $7.99 (was $19.99)
– Etrian Odyssey Nexus – $9.99 (was $39.99)
– Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl – $7.99 (was $19.99)
– Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth – $8.99 (was $29.99)
– Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth – $9.99 (was $39.99)
– Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth – $7.99 (was $19.99)
– Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology – $9.99 (was $39.99)
– Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers – $7.99 (was $19.99)
– Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker – $7.99 (was $19.99)
– Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked – $7.99 (was $19.99)
– Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux – $9.99 (was $39.99)
– Shin Megami Tensei IV – $7.99 (was $19.99)
– Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse – $8.99 (was $29.99)

All of the games above in the December 2021 3DS eShop sale from Atlus will be sold at the prices above until January 5, 2022.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

I played the DS version of Radiant Historia and it was solid. Entertaining story and fun battle system.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nice, I dinked around with the EOIV demo a while ago and liked it, $8 seems like a good deal.

Any must-haves here?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Like, all the Etrian Odyssey games.
Radiant Historia is good too.
People like SMT but I never played it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How are those SMT games?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Alxprit posted:

Like, all the Etrian Odyssey games.
Radiant Historia is good too.
People like SMT but I never played it.

I don't actually know what Radiant Historia is :ssh:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Radiant Historia is an RPG where you take control of a character who is able to use a book to travel between junctures of two different timelines in order to try and alter fate to save the world. This consists of learning information and skills in one timeline that will allow you to safely progress in the other. Enemies are fought on a 9x9 grid and the battle system involves manipulating their positions in order to place them on the same tile to beat them to death efficiently, among other little wrinkles like turn order management, elemental weaknesses, and so forth. Like most Atlus games it is challenging to master. The plot is fairly compelling and characters are written well. The 3DS version involves a third extra timeline filled with various little what-ifs led by some weird new character, I don't know if that part's any good but the base game was one of my top RPGs on the DS originally.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Weirdly those atlus games all go on sale every couple months for the past like 3 years

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Umm, so I heard about an Atlus sale and booted up my old 3DS and wouldn’t you know it, the battery is bulging! So, thank goodness it didn’t just explode next to my bed, how do I safely dispose of it and does anyone have a link to a new one? Also, which size screwdriver do I use to replace the back case, already have a new one but I still need to put it on.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nintendo themselves has batteries in stock so I’d buy an official one or 2 before they stop selling them: https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-3ds-2ds/replacement-parts.html

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also any screwdriver included in a eyeglass repair kit would open it.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

How are those SMT games?

They’re great, you’ve got a few flavours here. SMT IV and IV Apocalypse are 3D dungeon crawly styled. Apocalypse is a sequel to IV. I’d say if you’re coming from the series new, IV would be my preferred starting points. Most similar to Persona and SMT Nocturne and V.

SMT Strange Journey is more first person dungeon crawler like Etrian Odyssey or Wizardry mixed with John Carpenter’s The Thing. This originally came out on DS but has additional content.

Soul Hackers is like this as well but it is a 90’s Saturn game remaster, it’s somewhat dated but if your choice of sci-fi is Snow Crash or Facebook’s Metaverse or something you might enjoy it.

The Devil Summoner games are strategy RPGs like Fire Emblem or Shining Force with a more teen centred, modern Japan setting.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This cheap grip I bought really made me enjoy the 3DS again. The dpad on my New XL actually is pretty decent once it’s in a comfortable position via the grip.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

SeANMcBAY posted:

This cheap grip I bought really made me enjoy the 3DS again. The dpad on my New XL actually is pretty decent once it’s in a comfortable position via the grip.

Got a link? I've been meaning to pick one up forever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Got a link? I've been meaning to pick one up forever.

I got just one of the cheap plastic ones on Ali express.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Does the multiplayer function in Triforce Heroes still work? I have no one to test it with (except for two friends who are dragging their feet for no reason but whatever).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yes, but you’d probably have to schedule games these days rather than finding randoms like at launch.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How long does it take to finish? I remember when it was new and goons were playing together but I didn't have time to join. I ended up shelving it thinking I'd play someday.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

How long does it take to finish? I remember when it was new and goons were playing together but I didn't have time to join. I ended up shelving it thinking I'd play someday.

Not too bad. Like 12-14 hours. I'd maybe be down to play again sometime. I greatly enjoyed it, even with randoms. Communicating with the Link emotes is part of the fun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hey if you two wanna play sometime, I’m down.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1491924495354916865?s=21
I’d get on this quick if anyone needs one.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

Gone within 5 minutes

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sloth Socks posted:

Gone within 5 minutes

And 90% of them on Ebay 5 mins later.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hi guys, got a bit of a weird issue and figure some of you might have encountered this problem before. Basically, I wanted to play Order of Ecclesia on my commute today - I'd almost finished it a few years ago on my DS lite, but never quite, so why not replay it on my 3DS now.

Problem is, it plays the intro movie, and then it's stuck like this:

https://i.imgur.com/H4jTktB.mp4

So it's like it's looking for a wifi connection it cannot establish. I tried googling the issue, but I only found a single hit where some modders were talking about a similar issue, and apparently they could fix it by playing on DS mode (something I didn't know existed, apparently you just have to hold Select or Start while opening the game), but that didn't work.

I tried fiddling with the wifi settings, but noticed something interesting while testing: I was tethering the 3DS with my phone (again, while commuting), and it connected with no issue, but as soon as I started the DS game, it stopped being connected to the phone. So that might have something to do with it, idk.

Anyway, the DS online should be defunct anyway, so I have no idea if a proper connection would even help.

Anyone else have this issue while playing older DS games on a 3DS?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Are you playing it on an original cartridge? Flash cart?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Are you playing it on an original cartridge? Flash cart?
original, 3DS isn't jailbroken or anything

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's a really strange problem. Have you tried putting the cartridge in another 3/DS and seeing what happens? I don't have a solution either way, but at least it could isolate if it's a cart or system issue. If it's the cart then maybe something hosed up and now it's dead.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

hmmmmm

definitely something about the 3DS settings

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Tried airplane mode?

It's pretty weird overall.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Started fine via my R4 on my 3DS. What an odd issue.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This is probably not related but Portrait of Ruin and Ecclesia both gave me trouble on an old r4 flashcart (and were the only games to do so). They seem to work fine in Twilight on my 3DS but I never figured out what the issue on the flashcart was. Maybe a slow microsd card or something? They both ran but had issues, maybe with stuttering and crackling sound if I remember right? It's been a while since I tried it now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Doesn't the 3DS have a separate WiFi config menu for DS games? Do you have a broken connection set up in there?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

repiv posted:

Doesn't the 3DS have a separate WiFi config menu for DS games? Do you have a broken connection set up in there?

I just checked there and I did have an old one set up (way outdated), setting up the current one didn't work initially (some error code, I'll try again), maybe that's it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Simply Simon posted:

I just checked there and I did have an old one set up (way outdated), setting up the current one didn't work initially (some error code, I'll try again), maybe that's it

Again, try airplane mode.

A new DS-mode internet connection would require WEP. Good luck finding anything even supporting that anymore.

I've got a router with "DS access" written on it in a box somewhere just because of that.