Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

zone posted:

Man imagine the scale of misery if we brewed up our own Marek's disease, because lmfao

we are well on our way, and it is the only reasonable eventual outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Doctor posted:

Alright I guess I need to submit myself for help, thread. Any recommendations for a mask and/or respirator for an instructor who basically has no choice but to go back in January and won't be boosted until like February. I have KN95s but they fit so tightly that its extremely difficult to lecture in for any sustained amount of time.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Doctor posted:

Alright I guess I need to submit myself for help, thread. Any recommendations for a mask and/or respirator for an instructor who basically has no choice but to go back in January and won't be boosted until like February. I have KN95s but they fit so tightly that its extremely difficult to lecture in for any sustained amount of time.

i talk all day in an n95... first 2 or 3 weeks will suck poo poo until the bridge of your nose hardens up, then it's fine

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Speaking from experience, when you're a teacher and you can't teach, employment becomes a fun adventure. I love that capitalism is such that we have to choose between starving to death or dying of the plague.
gently caress yeah.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

kalensc posted:

Thanks to this thread I was able to warn the fam about omicron on day 1, and we officially kiboshed in-person stuff for the foreseeable future.

Really hope gov't closes bars and salons asap, my siblings are at risk and I'm unsure they mask as well as they should.

I did the same and I've been ignored, ridiculed, and bargained with as if I am actually COVID-19.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

speng31b posted:

I think what really fucks with people the most about omicron is that it tilts hard on the individual selfishness scale. For people who have been told repeatedly all they need to do it vaxx, there's now a variant that will probably break through their vaxx, but in so doing less likely to seriously gently caress them up.

It basically took everyone's "what am I willing to risk" calculus and created a variant under the threshold where most people just can't give a poo poo anymore

It's this and a combination of people just not knowing what is actually going on and that without a booster you are basically naked. I have very well informed and dialed in colleagues who basically told me yeah I'm not getting the booster I don't need it. I don't think the people in this thread understand how loving deep into the weeds we are with the raw data and how limited the average person's capacity to understand this poo poo is.

Also after Trump lost a sizable portion of the global population just stopped paying attention to the news because they didn't have to hang global events on a loving tweet.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Doctor posted:

3m Auras are pretty great. They're snug but not uncomfortable. The nose piece is huge and stays put.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Mr. Pizza posted:

I did the same and I've been ignored, ridiculed, and bargained with as if I am actually COVID-19.

If you were actually COVID-19 you would not only be allowed to do whatever you want at all times, but you would have Republican politicians approaching you constantly asking what they could do to make your time here in America more enjoyable and comfortable, and please whatever you do don't leave; we want you here as long as possible.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Non comedy option north Honeywell half mask with a speech diaphragm and a lav mic on your collar

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol intellectual property rights are hilarious

imagine getting tapped to play The Thing when you know it's just to keep IP rights. at least they don't HAVE to do traditional makeup and prosthetics anymore but I bet they force some actors to do it anyway if they are actually being punished by being in the next FF film.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor posted:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

cr0y posted:

It's this and a combination of people just not knowing what is actually going on and that without a booster you are basically naked. I have very well informed and dialed in colleagues who basically told me yeah I'm not getting the booster I don't need it. I don't think the people in this thread understand how loving deep into the weeds we are with the raw data and how limited the average person's capacity to understand this poo poo is.

Also after Trump lost a sizable portion of the global population just stopped paying attention to the news because they didn't have to hang global events on a loving tweet.

Even with a booster.
Like again, Omicron has changed things for people in this thread because we were staying on top of our vaccinations and getting jabbed every 3-5 months, but for most of the world, they either got their first full dose and called it there, or got boosted 2-3 months ago. Hitherto the primary different between the liberals and the fascists as far as the plague went was that the former were vaccinated. But as of late January or mid February, even with only Delta running around, that would no longer be the case, since the vast majority of Americans would be effectively unvaccinated thanks to it having been 4 or more months since their last jab.

Now with Omicron, we're all basically already there.

Like it's not a question of having a booster or not. The booster boosts titers as I recall, but still the most important factor in vaccine efficacy is - assuming you have had at least 2 doses - not how many jabs you've had, but when you had them. If you're 4+ months out from your booster, you're in a much worse position than someone only 2 months out from their second shot of the first full dose.

And none of this has been communicated to the public - not that many would listen - because the CDC and Biden have deliberately been sharing the lie that vaccines alone can and will save us, and thus anything that reveals the fact that the vaccines are not perfect - like, say, waning efficacy and the need for continual booster shots - is ignored and buried.

If people knew that the rest of their lives would be getting a COVID vaccine ever 3-4 months until they finally get a breakthrough and die or get maimed, I think even a sizable subset of liberals might start making noise about maybe NPIs being preferable to a vaccine-only approach.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Nah. They don't need the gloves.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Even with a booster.
Like again, Omicron has changed things for people in this thread because we were staying on top of our vaccinations and getting jabbed every 3-5 months, but for most of the world, they either got their first full dose and called it there, or got boosted 2-3 months ago. Hitherto the primary different between the liberals and the fascists as far as the plague went was that the former were vaccinated. But as of late January or mid February, even with only Delta running around, that would no longer be the case, since the vast majority of Americans would be effectively unvaccinated thanks to it having been 4 or more months since their last jab.

Now with Omicron, we're all basically already there.

Like it's not a question of having a booster or not. The booster boosts titers as I recall, but still the most important factor in vaccine efficacy is - assuming you have had at least 2 doses - not how many jabs you've had, but when you had them. If you're 4+ months out from your booster, you're in a much worse position than someone only 2 months out from their second shot of the first full dose.

And none of this has been communicated to the public - not that many would listen - because the CDC and Biden have deliberately been sharing the lie that vaccines alone can and will save us, and thus anything that reveals the fact that the vaccines are not perfect - like, say, waning efficacy and the need for continual booster shots - is ignored and buried.

If people knew that the rest of their lives would be getting a COVID vaccine ever 3-4 months until they finally get a breakthrough and die or get maimed, I think even a sizable subset of liberals might start making noise about maybe NPIs being preferable to a vaccine-only approach.

Most people i talk to now who i consider somewhat reasonable are 100% banking on just getting vaccine boosters forever and the new pill treatments for breakthroughs

Basically "it'll be inconvenient but manageable"

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Stereotype posted:

the spike in cases literally just started lmao. we still have at least a month before people who are getting infected right now will die. the hospitals still have weeks before this hoard of newly infected start clogging their hallways and parking lots. and more people are traveling to spread the disease than have ever traveled in history lol

yeah it seems a little crazy imo

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

this whole covid dealie seems to not be goin great

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://thehill.com/homenews/coronavirus-report/587061-fauci-says-large-holiday-gatherings-not-safe-even-with-booster posted:

White House chief medical adviser Anthony Fauci said large gatherings this holiday season are not safe from the coronavirus, even for those fully vaccinated with a booster shot.

During a White House COVID-19 task force news briefing on Wednesday, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases urged Americans to "stay away" from large gatherings, which he defined as 30 to 50 people.

"Those are the kind of functions — in the context of COVID, and particularly in the context of omicron — that you do not want to go to," Fauci said.

Fauci called "parties" and larger gatherings a "higher risk," but said it would be safe for fully vaccinated individuals, who are boosted, to attend smaller family gatherings.

huh that's a pretty specific numeric range

https://twitter.com/WillieMcNabb/status/1158045307562856448

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

speng31b posted:

It basically took everyone's "what am I willing to risk" calculus and created a variant under the threshold where most people just can't give a poo poo anymore
if you haven’t at least once stared at your ceiling in the middle of the night and honestly imagined what it’s like to be ventilated and conscious and maybe dying within the next few days and your final view is the floor and the corner of the hospital room you’ve been staring at while lying prone and suffocating for the last several days…

I’m never not going to give a poo poo

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

If I recall, aren't local funerary rites that involve touching the dead part of, along with sanitation issues, why ebola is so able to gently caress up parts of West Africa, despite ebola making you super sick super fast?

Yes it in fact was this. All you really had to do was keep substantial amounts of infected bodily fluids out of your eyes or mouth you were fine.

As soon as I learned how hard it was to spread I was immediately not concerned about ebola anymore! 🙂

Now this other virus that's popping around lately...

i am harry posted:

if you haven’t at least once stared at your ceiling in the middle of the night and honestly imagined what it’s like to be ventilated and conscious and maybe dying within the next few days and your final view is the floor and the corner of the hospital room you’ve been staring at while lying prone and suffocating for the last several days…

It's still a numbers game though and people are strangely able to throw covid on the pile of any other billion things that could kill you in horrifying ways. People can hand wave away one in 100 or 1 in 1,000 shots very very easily.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 24, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

If you're not coughing blood just come in to work, it's fine
https://twitter.com/haithamahmedmd/status/1474216726199947289?s=20

zone
Dec 6, 2016

i am harry posted:

But morons think that no matter how often they roll the dice, they can keep getting away with it, until it happens to them and they go something like this
https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?lang=en

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Helith posted:

I wonder what Snowglobe of Doom and his Covid Tree have in store for us today

I read the rest of the thread in anticipation and it was nothing.

Tree
😡

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

shackleford posted:

huh that's a pretty specific numeric range
Nice of Fauci to inform people of this just a few days before Christmas, when tons of gatherings have already happened or are effectively locked in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I need this in case I need to wear it to the hospital.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Zugzwang posted:

Nice of Fauci to inform people of this just a few days before Christmas, when tons of gatherings have already happened or are effectively locked in.

I mean it's terrible advice anyway so who loving cares?

'If you want, you can drive with your eyes shut going 80 miles per hour against traffic." is not meaningfully better advice than 'If you want, you can drive with your eyes shut going 160 miles per hour against traffic."

It's wildly dangerous non-advice that can and will get thousands, if not tens of thousands, of people killed and maimed. That Fauci can say this without having whatever staffers it is that are responsible for issuing it in writing/tweets not immediately refusing and asking him if he's loving lost his goddamn mind is a sign of systemic failure.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

there's always some idiot who missed a key piece of info and today that idiot is me: what does NPI stand for?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

pancake rabbit posted:

there's always some idiot who missed a key piece of info and today that idiot is me: what does NPI stand for?

Non profitable pharmaceutical intervention

speng31b
May 8, 2010

One thing this pandemic has taught me is that every viral or zombie apocalypse movie ever has been totally wrong about the CDC

They all depict them as a competent organization overwhelmed by stunning odds

Actually what would happen is the shattered remains of our society would be littered with pamphlets that say stuff like "new guideline for workplace safety shows that most zombies can be safely readmitted to the workforce, and many zombie bites are in fact extremely mild"

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Non profitable pharmaceutical intervention

ahhhh ty

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

speng31b posted:

One thing this pandemic has taught me is that every viral or zombie apocalypse movie ever has been totally wrong about the CDC

They all depict them as a competent organization overwhelmed by stunning odds

Actually what would happen is the shattered remains of our society would be littered with pamphlets that say stuff like "new guideline for workplace safety shows that most zombies can be safely readmitted to the workforce, and many zombie bites are in fact extremely mild"

It's the exact same as military ooh rah garbage in movies, except people are more easily swindled by the belief that all doctors are noble

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!
good loving god you know things are going well when Dr. Eric Feigl Ding calls your province the gently caress out.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1474261928172208133?s=20

remember that time Dr Bonnie Henry wrote a book about her COVID success before the pandemic even really started

lmao

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

pancake rabbit posted:

It doesn't matter because we'll never have meaningful ones in America.

Non Pharmaceutical Interventions. Basically surveillance testing and contact tracing - with enforced quarantines resulting from them, masking mandates, lockdowns and quarantines, and so on. All the stuff that isn't medicine - therepuetic or preventative - designed to stop people from getting sick and limit spread. The means by which China brought COVID to heel and the means by which the vast majority of epidemics in human history have been successfully combated.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I got into an argument online (lol) where I ended up writing this:

quote:

If you are in a situation like the Philippines is in right now, where cases are very low, then you can do things like:

Mandate that anyone coming into the country has to undergo a 14-day quarantine period. This is already what we're doing, but we were very close to lifting such restrictions starting December 1st - and it was good that news of Omicron essentially motivated the BOI and the DOH/IATF to scrap such plans. If you can make sure that everyone coming into the country will be tested for covid and/or will be isolated long enough to become symptomatic before they're let out into the public, then the virus will not be introduced into a population that has already mostly eradicated it.

And we know this works to a degree given that it's been a month since Omicron was discovered and we've only detected three cases ever, and all of them were caught by our quarantine procedures.

Given that we're now down to 9,200 active cases (per the Dept of Health report dated Dec 23), then internal to the country and its communities, you can again do active contact tracing, proactive testing, and proactive isolation of suspected cases, in order to "lock down" the people who were exposed, and who might have been infected, without having to implement a wider community lockdown, because there are few enough people within that network that it can be targeted to indivuduals or individual households.

If you can zero-out the cases domestically, and you can ensure that none of it is going to be introduced into the country internationally, then you enter a scenario where you can have very few restrictions on the domestic population without being in danger of the recurrence of a surge.

My point is that you can prevent a new surge with or without a vaccine, and we know this because several countries in 2020 were able to suppress and control and even zero-out COVID, when a vaccine still wasn't available.

And I'm saying this because I want to push against this perception that vaccination, by itself, is a way to end the pandemic, because it isn't, and we know this because multiple other countries, right this very minute, are undergoing very severe surges despite their much vaccination rates, because they don't implement even half as many as restrictions as we do, and we're already down to Alert Level 2 anyway.

I'm not saying that "low vaccination rates do not pose a risk", I'm saying that if we are at risk of a surge, then all the more that we need to stop Omicron from even entering the country, and vaccination has very little to do with that.

I'm saying that if so few of our countrymen are vaccinated, then all the more that we need to prevent Omicron from (re)gaining community spread, and while vaccination is going to prevent hospitalizations and deaths from people who do catch it, that still means doing all of the other Non-Pharmaceutical Interventions designed to prevent spread, precisely because you want to avoid COVID from getting to people who are not vaccinated, because there's still so many of them.

and almost immediately the post gets reported as spreading "vaccine misinformation"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I read the rest of the thread in anticipation and it was nothing.

Tree
😡

what was the context for the angry face mask again

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It's the exact same as military ooh rah garbage in movies, except people are more easily swindled by the belief that all doctors are noble

I don't know much about the CDC in terms of membership and careers but, like, are many/most of them even doctors - that is to say healthcare workers? I was under the impression they were generally more scientists rather than doctors with fieldwork experience. Which is what you'd expect and probably want for such an organization, to be fair, but yeah.
I think most people would say 'most doctors are good people' is a valid statement, but the public is definitely more ambivalent about scientists.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Doctor posted:

Everyone will probably say 3M Aura, which you can test drive by picking them up at Home Depot. My recommendation is that after you find a mask that fits well, search Amazon for face mask tape. I use one by Pro Tape, under "Pro 1502 Self-adhering Face Mask Tape." It's double-sided skin-safe tape that prevents the mask from moving around when talking. It stops all the rubbing, slipping, moving, etc., that usually happens during the wear period, and it helps lessen whatever nose and cheek skin damage and creasing caused by thick fiber scrubbing the face for 9 hours a time. It doesn't hurt the mask and it lasts all day. It also helps form a tighter seal around the nose area.

I've seen goons say they can't find the masks in Home Depot when they go in and wander the paint section. Just go to Home Depot's website and search the mask and then choose your local store to show availability. The exact aisle and shelf location will be listed there.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mr. Pizza posted:

yeah it seems a little crazy imo

I dunno everyone is acting like it’s just normal tho. this is only the second Covid Christmas and everyone is like “we can’t just have covid Christmas forever!”. like dudes we haven’t even had very many, in fact we’ve only had one! like breaking your leg sucks and you gotta not walk on it for awhile, but if you break it again you can’t just be like “gently caress this! I’m not doing broken leg hobbling forever!”

I love thinking of analogies.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean it's terrible advice anyway so who loving cares?

'If you want, you can drive with your eyes shut going 80 miles per hour against traffic." is not meaningfully better advice than 'If you want, you can drive with your eyes shut going 160 miles per hour against traffic."

It's wildly dangerous non-advice that can and will get thousands, if not tens of thousands, of people killed and maimed. That Fauci can say this without having whatever staffers it is that are responsible for issuing it in writing/tweets not immediately refusing and asking him if he's loving lost his goddamn mind is a sign of systemic failure.
Yeah, it can easily lead to bullshit rules lawyering just like the six foot/15 minutes close contact one. “This party is safe because it only has 28 people!” Of course most people will just ignore him anyway, so

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PITY BONER posted:

Everyone will probably say 3M Aura, which you can test drive by picking them up at Home Depot. My recommendation is that after you find a mask that fits well, search Amazon for face mask tape. I use one by Pro Tape, under "Pro 1502 Self-adhering Face Mask Tape." It's double-sided skin-safe tape that prevents the mask from moving around when talking. It stops all the rubbing, slipping, moving, etc., that usually happens during the wear period, and it helps lessen whatever nose and cheek skin damage and creasing caused by thick fiber scrubbing the face for 9 hours a time. It doesn't hurt the mask and it lasts all day. It also helps form a tighter seal around the nose area.

I've seen goons say they can't find the masks in Home Depot when they go in and wander the paint section. Just go to Home Depot's website and search the mask and then choose your local store to show availability. The exact aisle and shelf location will be listed there.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Self-adhering-friendly-resistant-reposition/dp/B08CJWDDS8 This?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

what was the context for the angry face mask again

an idiot caught covid, went to a party, and replied to someone over the phone using the angry face and 'mask' below it when they expressed disbelief at why they would do something that stupid