Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

speaking of Slaanesh I voted Sigvald because that model is the best one they've released all year and its not even close

I also voted Sigvald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

I followed my heart and went Darkoath.
I also voted Darkoath! I want more Darkoath models!

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Voted Lauka Vai - she is extremely my speed

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I voted for Sigvald.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It's going to be Belakor

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Voted for Kroak. :frogout:

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Crab

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted for Kroak, because frog. :rms:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I voted for Khagra's Ravagers because I want more current-gen Chaos Warrior type models.

Went to WHW yesterday to play a couple games of AoS. My Slaves to Darkness, my buddy's Blades of Khorne (who were the only opponent I'd ever played previously), Stormcast Eternals, and Maggotkin.

I managed to win on objectives against the Stormcast, we were both struck by how tanky our armies were in most instances. I'm very relieved that chaos warrior types have a 5+ ward against mortal wounds, but god drat that Stormcast ability to generate MWs against enemies within 1" on 6s whenever they are destroyed in combat is diabolical. Cost me a lot of casualties. Apart from that his scariest things were 2 ballistas, which I fortunately managed to neutralise with disposable marauder horsemen, a unit of Evocators(? wizard troops) which cut down most of my unit of 20 chaos warriors over a few turns, and his chariot - I figured charging that thing rather than being charged was a good idea. My 10 chaos warriors half-killed it in that turn, but it then chewed through all 10 over the next few rounds.

We then had a team game, funniest thing was at the bottom of round 1, my Sorcerer Lord tries to cast, the enemy Slaughterpriest rolls an 8 to dispel, which straight up deals D6 MWs to the caster. Rolled 5, killed him instantly. I was fuming!

Things went bad to worse as my Krakadrak lord and knights did rather less well than expected against a Maggotkin lord and elite units on giant flying insect things. Then got charged by a "Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage" which, by rolling some 6s to hit, distributed about 10 MWs to each enemy unit within 8", ie most of my forces. I had very little to do in that game after that!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nurgle mortals don’t even have non-elites. The closest Nurgle has in general are Plaguebearers and Nurglings. They’re fuckin’ tanks and you need to be real careful engaging them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Maggotkin is so odd, can't really get a feel for where they stand. From what I've seen so far it seems like they're a very solid casual army that just doesn't really have the juice for competitive play (not that it will be impossible to win with, just that it won't be getting podium finishes) but I'll be curious to see what people are able to do with them in tournaments - I can't really think of another army that had it's playstyle shaken up as much from one book to the next as this one, and there's a lot of weird new interactions and warscrolls that may end up surprising me.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Personally I think people are sleeping on Maggotkin. The reception reminds me a lot of the Soulblight book, which was widely panned as weak when it came out, but ended up being an extremely solid book. In particular, a lot of armies just can't deal with the sheer amount of mortal wounds this book shits out.

I also love the design - the book just feels super right for Nurgle. Slow, extremely tough, and if you stay near them too long your face starts sloughing off.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Personally I think people are sleeping on Maggotkin. The reception reminds me a lot of the Soulblight book, which was widely panned as weak when it came out, but ended up being an extremely solid book. In particular, a lot of armies just can't deal with the sheer amount of mortal wounds this book shits out.

I also love the design - the book just feels super right for Nurgle. Slow, extremely tough, and if you stay near them too long your face starts sloughing off.

I know bugger all about the wider competitive game here, but insofar as I could follow my friend's contagion points mechanic, it did just seem to inflict a steady stream of mortal wounds on me.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The biggest problems for competitive play are going to be that getting onto objectives quickly and holding them is what wins games, and there are multiple gatekeeper armies that they need to be able to handle. They can outlast basically anyone, but even with flies, Maggotkin are outrageously slow now. And while I think their mortal wounds output should put them in a good spot vs. Idoneth, the question is going to be whether they can deal enough damage to handle mega-gargants, which is still looking to be the army that separates the 4-1 / 5-0 finishes from the 3-2s. Some of the Orghotts lists look pretty mean, but I'm not sure that the math works out without a lot of luck.

Also curious to see if the new Kragnos warscroll sees him slotting into a bunch of Destruction armies, because he is gonna be brutal to deal with for Maggotkin.

I really want them to be a good army, and they were honestly extremely solid at the end of 2.0, so hopefully it just takes a little time to figure out what works. I do think that they're overcosted even after the new FAQ drop though - they've gotta be by far the cheapest army you can put together now, right? 2 start collecting boxes and a Glottkin basically a solid 2k points list all on its own.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Finished Stormvault by Andy Clark and it's alright. Maggotkin in it are kinda hilarious, but outside of that book is serious as 3 day long constipation

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Finished Stormvault by Andy Clark and it's alright. Maggotkin in it are kinda hilarious, but outside of that book is serious as 3 day long constipation

The first six or so chapters of that book each introduce a faction and I'm so disappointed it didn't keep going that way. Introduce sixteen armies then spend one glorious chapter smashing them into each other. The end, no moral.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covermeinsunshine posted:

While it's never stated outright. I am pretty sure the Lord of Afflictions leader was simply delusional and talking to himself.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

bagrada posted:

The first six or so chapters of that book each introduce a faction and I'm so disappointed it didn't keep going that way. Introduce sixteen armies then spend one glorious chapter smashing them into each other. The end, no moral.

I mean it was already getting ridiculous - ok Ironjawz are here so lets add magotkin oh and skaven oh and kharadron and that thing that crawled out of the kitchen sink.

What I liked was KO having legal papers and being extremely serious about them to the point of characters being scared of breaking those contracts. It kinda bridges the gap between them and old dorfs

MonsterEnvy posted:

While it's never stated outright. I am pretty sure the Lord of Afflictions leader was simply delusional and talking to himself.

It is possible, or he was led along the way by demons. His death tho was kinda sad

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Looks like we're getting some major AoS reveal on monday, as per the latest article with the Eldar vs Chaos battleforce:

quote:

If you’re a fan of Warhammer Age of Sigmar, we will have a major reveal coming on Monday, pitting two allies of Order against one another in a battle of the elements.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Fish elf v fire dorf

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

JBP posted:

Fish elf v fire dorf

Almost certain, yeah.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Happy cringlemas! May your day be full of tiny plastic people.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Happy Feast of Slaaneshmas! Drink in excess, feast decadently, and hate with all your heart.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

sasha_d3ath posted:

Happy Feast of Slaaneshmas! Drink in excess, feast decadently, and hate with all your heart.

I have gorged myself on various foods of this wretched realm and emerged not looking much closer to a blightking so I call major victory

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Adding to nurglings to daemon collection.

Still a tiny army so far.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/27/an-ancient-grudge-boils-over-in-fury-of-the-deep-the-next-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-battlebox/

Turns out that yes, the reveal was fish people versus fire dorfs.

Akhelian Thrallmaster

Auric Flamekeeper

quote:

and there’s more news about salty sea-aelves and sizzling duardin coming
And it's obvious that they're the first getting updated army books for next year.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If the rest of the Fyreslayer range was more in the style of that Flamekeeper I would like it a lot more

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I hope they get at least one new unit each at least. A herd of crabs and mounted magmagoats would be nice.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I like the new models, though I kinda wish this Namarti-focus hero was officially a Namarti.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Talas posted:

I hope they get at least one new unit each at least. A herd of crabs and mounted magmagoats would be nice.

I want Crabalry

Also for some reason I'm now wondering if Fyreslayers would look better in darker skintones

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Inject crabs and fire lizards straight into my veins. Of all the things those armies need characters are probably the last one

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

AnEdgelord posted:

I want Crabalry

Also for some reason I'm now wondering if Fyreslayers would look better in darker skintones

If you want canon, the Ulrung Lodge has a neat dark skintone / white ash / red hair color scheme going on!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There’s plenty of room for non-white dwarves and you should have fun with it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tardigrade posted:

If you want canon, the Ulrung Lodge has a neat dark skintone / white ash / red hair color scheme going on!

That looks a lot better than the default color scheme. I'll have to finish up my Stormcast first but I wouldn't be opposed to having an army with a much smaller range for my second.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Kind of a disappointing battle box after the 40k one got a ton of new models.

Oh hey this army is full of cool sea creatures and everyone went absolutely nuts when we released a crab miniature, I guess lets give them more boring half naked elves.

And Fyreslayers desperately need something that isn't more dwarves that are barely distinguishable on the table.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I mean I kinda want more naked elves, the shark is good and hopefully the new character buffs up the naked elves. So let's go baby, deep sea elf time!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Fyreslayers should have Magma Golems and I'm sad that its gonna take forever to get them some.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

not a single crab or giant crab mount in that box, just pitiful

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cooked Auto posted:

Auric Flamekeeper

Dude must be really proud of his rhomboids to have his cloak pointing them out for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Auric Flamekeeper.

0/10 mini, not enough dorf dong.