Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Can you still just outright disable Spaced Out in the options even if you own it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Can you still just outright disable Spaced Out in the options even if you own it?

Yes; it’s a big button on the main menu. Just keep in mind saves from base and DLC are not compatible (in either direction).

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Alright, I'll pick up the dlc because they're bundled cheap and just turn it off to start. Thanks!

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I have a bunch of games in this genre, but love hearing Holiday Sale time recommendations!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I've also beein playing Autonauts recently, and honestly it's really clicking for me this time around. I'm not sure what changed from the last couple of times I bounced off it but I'm having a lot of fun setting up this swarm of ants.

Maybe it's just enjoying the twee charm of seeing a clockwork dalek knitting wooly jumpers in a rocking chair.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Honestly Autonauts is a lot of fun up until it's not at which point I recommend stopping instead of pushing on because it gets a lot worse. I think the early game is pretty satisfying, figuring out how to automate tasks is fun, but I've never made it past 4-5 tiers in the tech tree because it quickly becomes super convoluted.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

explosivo posted:

Honestly Autonauts is a lot of fun up until it's not at which point I recommend stopping instead of pushing on because it gets a lot worse. I think the early game is pretty satisfying, figuring out how to automate tasks is fun, but I've never made it past 4-5 tiers in the tech tree because it quickly becomes super convoluted.

My main complaint is that there are no new solutions to more problems. You're always doing the same thing, no matter if it's clothing, food, or anything else. If new tech tiers presented new challenges, it would be a lot more long-lived.

That said, the early-mid game is great and the robots are adorable. There's a lot of charm to the game that makes up for many of its issues.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That's a fair point, I'm still at tier 4 on my game. I've just unlocked power so it's still bringing in new mechanics as the game goes on at this stage.

I do like Autonauts' unique take on the automation genre, being focused much more on agents than infrastructure, and not putting heavy focus on maintaining your agents the way a colony sim does. It has enough flaws that there's clearly room for other games to do something interesting with that same genre concept.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Autonauts is a game I'd love to love but I just find myself bumping against the issues people have mentioned. In the end it becomes a lot more efficient to have 1 robot for every movement rather than interestingly programmed bots that do entire production chains themselves. And that never changes.

I'm looking for a new train toybox, I enjoy Mashinky a lot, Transport Fever 2 less, thinking about jumping into OTTD again for a nostalgic dabble over the christmas break but I'm also thinking about buying NIMBY Rails if anyone has opinions on that in the last few months. It looks kinda neat and I feel like it might help me work through my anger at all the local lines where I live being shut down before my birth.

The more I think about it the more I am coming to realise that the game I want doesn't exist, but it is a game with the scale and building of Transport Fever 2 but with the resource and token system of Mashinky.

LeFishy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 23, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
RE: Autonauts I did end up beating the game and I have to echo Mayveena and others that the process that you use to finish tier 3 is exactly the same as the process you use to finish tier 8. It's literally get your bot line up, devote one bot to each resource and one bot to move to storage. There are incremental upgrades which require rewiring bots and script tweaks to deal with holding-item interaction for liquids but there really aren't many more constraints that make the upper tiers any more interesting than lower ones, just additional makework.

The gameplay at the end tier is functionally identical with grabbing a new bot, slapping a template on, changing the source and destination buildings and doing it over again. And over. And over. You never get any additional abstraction tools and the game never presents more complex problems you need to solve.

It's still a chill game, I enjoyed taking an edible and playing for a few hours, but know that there's nothing waiting for you if you try and "push through" the boring bits - once it starts to get dull just enjoy the time you had and then shelve it.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 23, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I bought the ONI DLC because I'm a masochist and multiple bite sized colonies somehow sounds easier to wrangle than one huge one. I'm remembering now a few hours into a new colony that a big issue I always have is knowing how much room to give myself when building out. I almost always end up having to cram everything together like ventilation as I unlock things that let me deal with any one of the problems that crop up. I'm just going to start over on this one because I can feel the end rapidly approaching lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

explosivo posted:

I bought the ONI DLC because I'm a masochist and multiple bite sized colonies somehow sounds easier to wrangle than one huge one. I'm remembering now a few hours into a new colony that a big issue I always have is knowing how much room to give myself when building out. I almost always end up having to cram everything together like ventilation as I unlock things that let me deal with any one of the problems that crop up. I'm just going to start over on this one because I can feel the end rapidly approaching lol

This is a "do as I say not as I do" thing because I'm a restart-aholic but remember that deconstructing something gives you back everything you put into it, so moving rooms and infrastructure around is entirely lossless and restructuring your base costs you nothing but time.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Spaced Out smoothed out the early game a lot and made it a lot easier to avoid fatal pitfalls, I think. Sublimation Stations + Outhouses = techless near infinite (polluted) oxygen, which greatly takes off the pressure of having to switch over to burning your water for oxygen too, so that's two major "clocks" that are a lot easier to handle at the cost interacting with germs more. You've got to worry about dirt, but that is a MUCH longer term problem than oxygen and water.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I liked Autonauts for ~15 hours then I never played it again afterwards. I think what discouraged me the most was that there was almost no change in gameplay over the course of the game. If the game quickly scaled beyond the early limitations and went places, I think it could easily have ended up being my favorite, instead I just have fond memories of the short time I've played.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

lordfrikk posted:

I liked Autonauts for ~15 hours then I never played it again afterwards. I think what discouraged me the most was that there was almost no change in gameplay over the course of the game. If the game quickly scaled beyond the early limitations and went places, I think it could easily have ended up being my favorite, instead I just have fond memories of the short time I've played.

All of these comments have turned me off from ever playing it. One of the best parts of Factorio is that, once you've reached a certain level, you can just automate replicating parts of your facilities with blueprints, drone hives, and radars, without having to actually go there and do it yourself. Having to set up every single thing sounds like Workers and Resources actually... terrible.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, the biggest flaw with Autonauts is that, for a game ostensibly about programming, it's very manual. You can only code bots by directly doing the thing you want them to do, and then you get to configure some loops and conditionals and potentially change the specific objects they're interacting with. You can copy the programs bots run on, but you have to use an item to do it, by stopping the bot from running, copying to the disk item, starting them again then using the disk on a new robot. The code manipulation is all point-and-click, and you've got no way to add new lines of code on the same bot except by demonstrating that action again.

I think the ideal form of this game, for me, would play out a bit more like Exapunks. Or, alternatively, would basically be Exapunks expanded to a logistical scale. Or something like the strategic puzzles from Spacechem.

What I'm saying is I want a Zachtronics logistics management game.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Tenebrais posted:

:same: because that sounds really good, on paper at least

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah, the biggest flaw with Autonauts is that, for a game ostensibly about programming, it's very manual. You can only code bots by directly doing the thing you want them to do, and then you get to configure some loops and conditionals and potentially change the specific objects they're interacting with. You can copy the programs bots run on, but you have to use an item to do it, by stopping the bot from running, copying to the disk item, starting them again then using the disk on a new robot. The code manipulation is all point-and-click, and you've got no way to add new lines of code on the same bot except by demonstrating that action again.

I think the ideal form of this game, for me, would play out a bit more like Exapunks. Or, alternatively, would basically be Exapunks expanded to a logistical scale. Or something like the strategic puzzles from Spacechem.

I spent a year and a half trying to make this and I couldn't make it fun. Then again, I put a ton of idiotic constraints on myself so maybe I'll give it another crack, eventually.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The fundamental problem with Autonauts is that there’s no ongoing cost to make bots and there’s no limit to how many you can have. Whereas in Factory Town you will hit a worker limit unless you increase happiness, making you do additional stuff to increase efficiency.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Captain of Industry hit beta. Looks like they added a fistful of buildings, nuclear power, a trading port, and now there are four maps, each with a few dozen options you can tweak. So, looking better.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

One of the things I really appreciate about Factory Town is the flexibility when building along the z-axis. You can start building upward pretty much from the jump, and if you want to have a building hovering ten feet off the ground without any supports, the game won't give you any grief about it. Maybe you'll want to find a way to get some roads up to it, but you don't *have* to.

Coming from Factorio it's something I'm actually having to build new design habits around, which is fun.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tenebrais posted:

So...Factorio-like world. But the actual assemblers/automated buildings are like the Factorissimo-mod buildings that you go inside of and program. Obviously a copy+paste function would be innate once you have your basic furnaces, widget assemblers, hoozit builders and such set up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What are my options in ONI when I am running out of clean water? I dont really have a ton of polluted water either so do I basically need to find a new source to tap into by digging around?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Snow, ice, and water geysers are your alternative sources of water.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

Snow, ice, and water geysers are your alternative sources of water.

You can also burn petroleum or natural gas. Oil wells become water positive if you build a petroleum boiler or sour gas boiler, but until that point the crude oil lying around the map is still an effective short-term water source.

Duplicants using the bathroom are also water positive, so there are some extremely video-game-unethical designs where you confine and continually food-poison dupes to collect piss.

In the late game there are also some shenanigans with capturing rocket exhaust but that probably is not relevant to your situation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I usually have a room where I stuff all the poo poo that leaks polluted water and then slap a sump pump at the bottom with a pressure automator to turn it on when the sump gets full enough.

You can run petroleum jennies on ethanol, so if you have some wild growing arbor trees you can harvest quite a lot of wood from them without needing to put any resources in, and then stuff it all in an ethanol producer and then burn the ethanol for power and also a small water income. Generates water out of nowhere, but also quite a bit of heat you have to manage. Lots of power though.

If you get pips you can lock them in some galleries carved from natural soft stone or dirt with some arbor seeds and they will eventually fill the place with wild grown trees, ethanol also I think also works as a decent coolant within its temperature range so you can use it for that too if you want.

Also any natural gas geysers you find can be plumbed into the petroleum jenny room too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 24, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Turning wood into ethanol creates a large amount of warm CO2 as well, in addition to the generator exhaust from burning it. And polluted dirt, it’s an important part of extending your agriculture past dirt exhaustion if you’re on one of the non-Terra or DLC starts.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've just beaten the magic level in Factory Town, and I think I might be starting to burn out on it. I think it's main problem is that it's way of adding new tiers is just throwing in a new set of basic resources to juggle, so even with a few little wrinkles like depleted gems and power transmission, it just feels like the same stuff but in a different part of the map. It compares badly with Factorio where you had what, four different resources and had to come up with solutions to mine, feed, and process truly terrifying quantities of all of them into your factory, which was a lot more interesting and engaging.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Tropico 6 is on sale right now. Is it much different to earlier games?
I liked 3 and 4 but they were basically the same and I thought the political side was far too easy - as long as your economy was ticking along all factions loved you. I played a little of 5 and it seemed like more of the same.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I loved 3 but was so unimpressed with 4 that I skipped 5. I played 6 and liked that it was more difficult, especially some of the scenarios.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bug Squash posted:

I've just beaten the magic level in Factory Town, and I think I might be starting to burn out on it. I think it's main problem is that it's way of adding new tiers is just throwing in a new set of basic resources to juggle, so even with a few little wrinkles like depleted gems and power transmission, it just feels like the same stuff but in a different part of the map. It compares badly with Factorio where you had what, four different resources and had to come up with solutions to mine, feed, and process truly terrifying quantities of all of them into your factory, which was a lot more interesting and engaging.

This game is not meant to be Factorio in any way. Look at Dyson Sphere Program and Satisfactory for that. To me, this game is more like a 2021 implementation of OTTD, but with way more life in it. Or maybe even Cities Skylines. I don't know, I don't see how anyone can compare a city game to Factorio the dryest theme ever (kidding).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Duplicants using the bathroom are also water positive, so there are some extremely video-game-unethical designs where you confine and continually food-poison dupes to collect piss.
If it actually bothers you, you can put a a liquid tank in the loop (you almost certainly have one there already) and lock that tank in a small room full of chlorine, it’ll kill all the germs in the water. Or used to, at least.

Speaking of water, I never could figure out an elegant solution to using cool slush salt water geysers. If you desalinate liquid less than zero degrees the water instantly freezes, breaking the first output pipe. Could use an aqua tuner I guess, but :effort:

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If it actually bothers you, you can put a a liquid tank in the loop (you almost certainly have one there already) and lock that tank in a small room full of chlorine, it’ll kill all the germs in the water. Or used to, at least.

We're talking about different things here. I am referring to something like this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/rbdy3p/dupe_water_farm/

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Speaking of water, I never could figure out an elegant solution to using cool slush salt water geysers. If you desalinate liquid less than zero degrees the water instantly freezes, breaking the first output pipe. Could use an aqua tuner I guess, but :effort:

Nah, they weren't talking about using grey water to flush or run sinks (For those that don't know: germy water still sanitizes dupes when put through sinks). They're talking about giving duplicants actively spoiled food so they have the runs and use the bathroom more often, therefore generating extra water more often.

I'm assuming the goon who asked about generating more PH20 has no slime biomes (full of polluted water and slime to turn into more algae/polluted water) or mud biomes (polluted mud to PH20 and polluted dirt).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh right, I saw that setup once then promptly forgot about it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mayveena posted:

This game is not meant to be Factorio in any way. Look at Dyson Sphere Program and Satisfactory for that. To me, this game is more like a 2021 implementation of OTTD, but with way more life in it. Or maybe even Cities Skylines. I don't know, I don't see how anyone can compare a city game to Factorio the dryest theme ever (kidding).

Yeah, I still submit that calling it "Factory Town" is doing the game a disservice. It's a pretty drat good and chill city builder game with factory elements. So like, the name isn't really inaccurate, but I think it gives people the wrong impression in the landscapes of Factorios, Satisfactories and Dyson Sphere Programs.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Oh right, I saw that setup once then promptly forgot about it.

germs are pretty ignorable, yeah, for all that there's a newb trap where you're concerned about germs in your Clean Water, so you build the Forbidden Coil (liquid tepidizer) in order to boil those bad boys away, holy gently caress now my entire base is 80C

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alkydere posted:

Nah, they weren't talking about using grey water to flush or run sinks (For those that don't know: germy water still sanitizes dupes when put through sinks). They're talking about giving duplicants actively spoiled food so they have the runs and use the bathroom more often, therefore generating extra water more often.

I'm assuming the goon who asked about generating more PH20 has no slime biomes (full of polluted water and slime to turn into more algae/polluted water) or mud biomes (polluted mud to PH20 and polluted dirt).

... Sorry, am I correctly interpretations that hooking the toilets output up to your hand sinks input is not only ok, but in fact encouraged?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Volmarias posted:

... Sorry, am I correctly interpretations that hooking the toilets output up to your hand sinks input is not only ok, but in fact encouraged?

Stuff like this and “you can sterilize a sealed tank of water by flooding the room it is in with chlorine gas that can’t reach the water” is why I cannot play ONI. My brain just refuses to deal with this stuff lol. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Yup! Sinks are water neutral, and toilets are water positive! Both create germy polluted water. You have to run the water through a filter first, but upon doing so you get germy clean water at the cost of some power and sand as a filtration material. Neither wash basins nor sinks care if the incoming water is germy, both will remove germs from a duplicant's exterior. So yes, wash those hands in germy water to get rid of the germs while taking advantage of a net positive loop!

It used to be even more mind boggling as in the early days the water filter had a fixed output of 40C for some weird reason. So your bathroom loop could also be a source of massive heat creation...or if you pumped near-boiling polluted water into it a source of heat deletion.