Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Amazing :allears: It took me at least 4 seconds of staring to get over seeing the pin feathers as horrible teeth.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lol drat its actually a pigeon. 100% thought it was dark souls fan art or something

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nordick posted:

PYF Bad rear end Pictures: Cast All Medals into Spearheads of Revolution

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y2Asd5_ito

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

heh.... PP.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/Ezyqew1.mp4

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Wuh? How?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Physics

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
:krad:

Panfilo posted:

Wuh? How?

To maintain a circular trajectory, an object must have an acceleration towards the center of the circle equal to its speed squared divided by the circle's radius (v2/R). If there's too much acceleration, then the car will fall towards the center of the circle (bad news). Let's consider the most dangerous point, the very top of the loop, where gravity points straight towards the center of the circle. There are two sources of acceleration: gravity and the contact force between the car and the track. The contact force can't pull upwards, though, so at the critical threshold where the car barely makes the loop, it will be zero and gravity will be doing all the work. So we can solve the equation g = v2/R, where g is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth's surface (9.8 m/s2 or 32 ft/s2) to find the critical speed v where the car barely is going fast enough to make the loop.

Rearranging that equation, we get v = sqrt(g*R).

Estimating based on the video that the loop is about 3 and a half car lengths in diameter, and using a value I googled of 4.5m for the length of a car, we get v = sqrt(9.8 m/s2 * 4.5m * 3.5/2) = 8.8 m/s or 19.7 miles per hour.

This doesn't sound like much, and it isn't! In practice, they probably want to be going a fair bit faster for a healthy safety margin. However, they've also got the problem that as they rise through the loop, they lose speed, or in other words, some of their kinetic energy is converted into gravitational potential energy. Assuming that they don't either lose speed to friction or gain speed from their engine during the loop (a bad assumption but the two effects will at least partially cancel out), we can use conservation of energy to figure out how fast they should be going at the bottom of the loop.

KEbefore + PEbefore = KEafter + PEafter

1/2 m vbefore2 + m g (0) = 1/2 m vafter2 + m g h

(We can divide through to cancel the masses; the initial height is zero, the final height will be 3.5 car lengths; the speed after will be our 8.8 m/s.)

1/2 vbefore2 = 1/2 (8.8 m/s)2 + (9.8 m/s2)*(3.5*4.5m)

vbefore = sqrt[(8.8 m/s)2 + 2*(9.8 m/s2)*(3.5*4.5m)]

which comes out to 19.7 m/s or 44.0 miles per hour.

This is all heavily estimated, of course - this is more of an example than a serious analysis of the video. You could get way more accurate measurements if you opened it up in image-editing software and measured pixels and stuff. I did my best to do a quick-and-dirty measure of their speed in the video and I'd say it looks like they were going about 45-55mph at the bottom, which seems like not a lot of margin for error, so probably the circle was a bit smaller than I was estimating, or maybe they get enough of a boost by gunning the engine through the loop itself. Either way, as you can see from these example numbers, it's surprisingly doable. The hardest part is probably getting their insurance company to sign off on this stunt, as if anything goes wrong, you could have someone in a car falling fifty feet, landing with much more force than a car's roll cage is normally meant to handle. So that's probably one good reason why you don't see this stunt done more often - it's surprisingly easy to do, but dangerous as hell.

DontMockMySmock has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Dec 29, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Panfilo posted:

Wuh? How?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wisconsin.jpg

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Telling the state trooper to kiss her rear end

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CX4-jq6O8v9/?utm_medium=copy_link

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

To maintain a circular trajectory, an object must have an acceleration towards the center of the circle equal to its speed squared divided by the circle's radius (v2/R). If there's too much acceleration, then the car will fall towards the center of the circle (bad news). Let's consider the most dangerous point, the very top of the loop, where gravity points straight towards the center of the circle. There are two sources of acceleration: gravity and the contact force between the car and the track. The contact force can't pull upwards, though, so at the critical threshold where the car barely makes the loop, it will be zero and gravity will be doing all the work. So we can solve the equation g = v2/R, where g is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth's surface (9.8 m/s2 or 32 ft/s2) to find the critical speed v where the car barely is going fast enough to make the loop.

Estimating based on the video that the loop is about 3 and a half car lengths in diameter, and using a value I googled of 4.5m for the length of a car, we get v = sqrt(9.8 m/s2 * 4.5m * 3.5/2) = 8.8 m/s or 19.7 miles per hour.

This doesn't sound like much, and it isn't! In practice, they probably want to be going a fair bit faster for a healthy safety margin. However, they've also got the problem that as they rise through the loop, they lose speed, or in other words, some of their kinetic energy is converted into gravitational potential energy. Assuming that they don't either lose speed to friction or gain speed from their engine during the loop (a bad assumption but the two effects will at least partially cancel out), we can use conservation of energy to figure out how fast they should be going at the bottom of the loop.

1/2 m v[sub[before[/sub]2 + m g (0) = 1/2 m v[sub[after[/sub]2 + m g h

(We can divide through to cancel the masses; the initial height is zero, the final height will be 3.5 car lengths; the speed after will be our 8.8 m/s.)

This is all heavily estimated, of course - this is more of an example than a serious analysis of the video. You could get way more accurate measurements if you opened it up in image-editing software and measured pixels and stuff. I did my best to do a quick-and-dirty measure of their speed in the video and I'd say it looks like they were going about 45-55mph at the bottom, which seems like not a lot of margin for error, so probably the circle was a bit smaller than I was estimating, or maybe they get enough of a boost by gunning the engine through the loop itself. Either way, as you can see from these example numbers, it's surprisingly doable. The hardest part is probably getting their insurance company to sign off on this stunt, as if anything goes wrong, you could have someone in a car falling fifty feet, landing with much more force than a car's roll cage is normally meant to handle. So that's probably one good reason why you don't see this stunt done more often - it's surprisingly easy to do, but dangerous as hell.

Ban this sick filth

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DontMockMySmock posted:

1/2 m v[sub[before[/sub]2 + m g (0) = 1/2 m v[sub[after[/sub]2 + m g h

:psyduck:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Dangit, didn't notice those hosed up square brackets until the second time it was quoted

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

Nordick posted:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

I was like "drat, they are going slow as hell for that loop" but I guess it works out just fine

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Seriously, the more times I read that line, the cooler it gets. It needs to be immortalized somewhere. I want people a thousand years from now to be citing that poo poo. gently caress. :black101:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nordick posted:

yeah cmon can we get a title already

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
While They had surgery on a ape is funny, Cast All Medals into Spearheads of Revolution is straight :black101:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Agreed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

also the schadenfreude thread has a ape title now so

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Guy making his own robot hand has made a lot of progress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEnj18pKeJM

I has a one finger salute setting!

-Zydeco- has a new favorite as of 15:07 on Jan 1, 2022

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That is a fantastic variation and adaptation of the Encabulator.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 06:32 on Jan 2, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Of course his work isn't done until he has a powerfist capable of punching through an ice block.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/SlideJPN/status/1479155653159489539

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well here's a sound I never ever want to hear in real life: an angry King Cobra growling

https://i.imgur.com/jsDLEZb.mp4

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sssssssssssssaturn devouring his son

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well here's a sound I never ever want to hear in real life: an angry King Cobra growling

https://i.imgur.com/jsDLEZb.mp4

Reminds me of the sound of howler monkeys.

It's amazing how fear inducing these primal growls can be.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
ACAB, but this is fkn badass

https://twitter.com/LAPDHQ/status/1480363436311670784

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Is there seriously no way to communicate with trains that there's something on the track up ahead ? Like the emergency stop button on an escalator.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Would have been cool and badass if the cops died. Maybe the pilot too, I don't know anything about him but he's old, white, and wealthy enough to own a plane so probably he is at least as racist and stupid as the cops.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lady Disdain posted:

Is there seriously no way to communicate with trains that there's something on the track up ahead ? Like the emergency stop button on an escalator.

Trains are really heavy. That means they take a LONG time to stop. A driver with a lot of warning the still can't stop a train. Nothing can. It's why big trucks get shoved out of the way like they're nothing when they try take on a train.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Biplane posted:

Would have been cool and badass if the cops died. Maybe the pilot too, I don't know anything about him but he's old, white, and wealthy enough to own a plane so probably he is at least as racist and stupid as the cops.

What the gently caress is wrong with you...

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you...

Doesn’t like single-wing aircraft presumably

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Lady Disdain posted:

Trains have so much momentum that it is just not possible for them to stop quickly. Trains are equipped with emergency brakes, which cause them to stop as fast as they possibly can without derailing, but even that results in the train stopping a mile or more past the point at which the brake was pulled.

EDIT: I mean, technically you can stop a train on a dime. It’s just that doing so causes the cars it is pulling to go flying off the track and kill people. The emergency brake makes the train brake as fast as it can without that happening.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I know that they're slow to stop, but I think I've been underestimating just how slow.