Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I just assume every recipie needs a clove of garlic added, even fudge.

I will actually try this one day.

Add me to the list of garlic fanatics. Like, I can’t remember the last time I made a savoury recipe with less than five cloves, and even my wife’s avocado toast recipe includes half a bulb..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
garlic is a faff

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

garlic is a faff
Of all your opinions this is the worst.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Of all your opinions this is the worst.

I'm sure he'll manage to top that before close of business today

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

garlic is a faff

It's a bit of a faff but my god is it worth it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

garlic is a faff

Stop roasting it in your car.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

garlic is a faff

u r a faff

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

All this garlic hate is coming off a bit strange. There's an entire continent who smell of garlic, paprika, all kinds of herbs, and whatnot all day, every day. To my mind its far more alluring than whiffing of steak bakes and fosters.Enjoy your garlic, for those of you with hearts its good for them, and have a mint after.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Potatoes: sprinkle a little semolina or flour over them to make it nice and crispy. Don't add them to the oven until the fat is nice and hot. Flavour with garlic and rosemary, but the garlic can burn in the high temperatures needed for decent roasties.

Seb, do your roast and watch Dr Who tonight, if that's what you want to do. Or if they start arguing, go out for a walk. There's nothing wrong with letting people know that their behaviour makes you not want to spend time with them.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I'm doing sautéed brussell sprouts with bacon lardons and garlic as a side dish tomorrow.

Luckily i live alone so the gaseous result will be my problem alone. ;)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

garlic is a faff

You just need to get the crushing technique right. You put it under your knife on the board and put just enough pressure to feel it give but don't slam it. You can then just cut the ends off and the skin falls off. Each clove only takes about 5-10 seconds.

I think garlic is one of the few things in food that I never get bored of.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Oops. Just realised I have presents 5o wrap. Fortunately, I only buy box shaped doodads, as I plan to be stoned and pissed by then.

You know, tye most fun I had at Xmas was when I was in an HMO with my Polish house mates.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I use jars of garlic more often than not because I hate peeling the fuckers but a full clove of the real thing massively enhances any meal.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I worked with a guy who ate a clove of raw garlic every morning because it was "good for the heart." Didn't do much for his popularity.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Garlic salt is also good.

e: ^^ probably is good for the heart during covid

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

bessantj posted:

I worked with a guy who ate a clove of raw garlic every morning because it was "good for the heart." Didn't do much for his popularity.

I've known people who blast a clove up their backside to ward off colds.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

sebzilla posted:

I've known people who blast a clove up their backside to ward off colds.

That's the lad!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNews/status/1474318111767777280?t=RTgi_evl63yJUP6VLOhzpQ&s=19

King's speech is up.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I say this pretty much every year but Freeview TV land is pretty shite for christmas themed shows that aren't some competition/cooking bollocks.

Maybe i've more attuned to it because I've been off the last 3 weeks getting no sleep looking after a newborn, but i'd have expected there to be a ramp up of stuff, even if it's just reruns of old poo poo.

This has felt like the least festive Christmas for a long time. Though maybe from next year i get to look forward to going to all the kids Christmas stuff which (i assume) is themed to the gills to instill the magic.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

Garlic salt is also good.

e: ^^ probably is good for the heart during covid

I once mistook garlic salt for garlic granules when cooking, I swear I probably took five years of my life with that one plate of food but I still ate the fucker

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

stev posted:

I use jars of garlic more often than not because I hate peeling the fuckers but a full clove of the real thing massively enhances any meal.

tomato paste with added garlic is a complete godsend

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ok google, 3d print my turkey dinner, hold the garlic filament

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
My flatmate got Covid, so I'm not going home for Christmas, so I'm continuing my new yearly Christmas tradition of being sad.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Kin posted:

I say this pretty much every year but Freeview TV land is pretty shite for christmas themed shows that aren't some competition/cooking bollocks.

Maybe i've more attuned to it because I've been off the last 3 weeks getting no sleep looking after a newborn, but i'd have expected there to be a ramp up of stuff, even if it's just reruns of old poo poo.

This has felt like the least festive Christmas for a long time. Though maybe from next year i get to look forward to going to all the kids Christmas stuff which (i assume) is themed to the gills to instill the magic.

I'm watching North by Northwest, a Wonderful life was on earlier, and I think bttf is on itv 2 now. Quality abounds, however I did notice Frozen was on earlier, and I'm never watching that. If its sitcom specials etc, I'd guess 8ts Mrs Brown's boys. Apparently, Some Motgers do 'Ave em Xmas special was on earlier this week.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

theres probably a Christmas top gear

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I kind of miss Morecambe and Wise xmas specials, although I am also 90% sure they must have blacked up or something just because of the era they were part of.

Still, there will always be a special part of my brain that lights up ready whenever an ambulance goes past.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jippa posted:

You just need to get the crushing technique right. You put it under your knife on the board and put just enough pressure to feel it give but don't slam it. You can then just cut the ends off and the skin falls off. Each clove only takes about 5-10 seconds.

I think garlic is one of the few things in food that I never get bored of.

If you want to deskin multiple bulbs of garlic (you need two colanders for this), separate them all and throw them into a colander, put the other colander over the top (to make a sphere) and while holding onto the handles shake them like mad for a minute (repeat as required), this should remove a lot of the covering entirely and/or loosen it for easy peeling.

Mainly handy when doing three or more bulbs at once. :discourse:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

we should simply bioengineer a more user friendly garlic bulb, it could be weaker but apple sized and just as easy to operate.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

we should simply bioengineer a more user friendly garlic bulb, it could be weaker but apple sized and just as easy to operate.

There already is giant garlic

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There is elephant garlic which IS larger, but it isn't the same strength. :(

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Garlic is fuckin delicious.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Britain is more anti intellectual than pol pot when it comes to covid.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I think what you get on freeview depends where you live. I've stayed with friends who get loads of choice on freeview, but round here there are just 7 or 8 channels available and half of them disappear if it rains.

In my last flat I ended up getting a satellite and freesat (which is not the same as freeview).

In this flat I have got "freesat from sky" (which isn't the same as freesat!) and I also bought a card off the internet for £15 so I get a few more free channels that you need a card for.

I've also got a roku which gives me a few more options including various catchup channels. (I don't particularly want to watch things on my laptop as I like to work on my laptop while watching the tv separately).

Terrrestrial tv channels eg BBC1 & ITV are almost completely unwatchable. All that reality dancing, cooking, sewing, eating insects, and dreadful soaps etc. Absolutely of no interest whatsoever. (I used to be an Eastenders addict even to the extent of recording it if I had to be out until 1989 when my tv got stolen in a burglary and dehooked me from the habit.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 24, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

hmm so there is, elephant garlic apparently.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Britain is more anti intellectual than pol pot when it comes to covid.

We learned a few years ago that so called experts are to be ignored, shunned or locked up and naturally apply that lesson to all walks of life.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Elephantitis of the garlic.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

theres probably a Christmas top gear

Xmas Dad's army starts on BBC 2 now, to up the Gammon chubbies

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Off with my wife to go for our first wigilia with my polish friend and her husband Should be fun! Tonnes of awesome veggie food woop. Get to meet her whippet! Yay doggos.

Have a lovely evening all!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Wasn't he pro Brexit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Black garlic is good but should absolutely not be treated as ‘garlic but nicer and fancier’ as I learned when my broth tasted vaguely like garlicky vomit. Also all you people who don’t like working with it are mad. Crushin’ cloves is how I get my rage out on an evening