Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Echoing sentiments in the thread that after the movie sloshed about in my brain for the past couple days it has improved my (already rather positive) opinion of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pirate Jet posted:

This is kind of a problem with the whole series though, in the first movie someone says that nobody has survived a fight with an Agent which is what makes it all the more impressive when Neo can handle them - but the later films just turn them into cannon fodder.

This is what happens when your character becomes Goku.

The first part of the film with Neo stuck in this meta hellscape of having to develop another Matrix was hilarious, then everything took a huge nosedive when it tried doing its own original idea. God drat what a terrible film. I've never seen so many people walk out of a showing. Most of the audience was bored as hell and half of the row behind us fell asleep, the only reactions were laughs during the first act. Well, there was one dude who cheered and clapped for one of the fights scenes for a split second until he realized he was alone, lmao. The only good imagery that's going to stick was the 9/11 tributes during the car chase at the end.

I can't even remember how many characters in this unzip their pants, pop a squat and take a fat poo poo of exposition on the audience to explain every stupid thing that we never saw take place. We also get the ultimate bad guy cliche where he explains his whole god drat contrived plot while the main characters are weakened.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Rexicon1 posted:

Lana will never reach the heights of Speed Racer ever again. The only perfect movie.
I'm skimming through this thread and I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know how loving right you are.
You're extremely correct.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Smythe posted:

Girl rage at the end was mega cringe but not unexpected. Did a facepalm irl.

same band whose lead peed on that dudes face a month ago lol

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The stinger got a chuckle out of me but it did feel a bit out of date. What would have made it next level is if it were the team discussing synergistically partnering with Space Jam 2. "We could have Speedy Gonzales hop across the bullets." "Yeah, yeah! And then the granny jumps up and the camera spins around and she makes a bullet time joke!!"

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Oh jeez I just realized the human settlement isn’t “Io” like the moon or the goddess, it’s “I/O” like Input/Output. /groan

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It would be really funny if the stinger was entirely serious and the next matrix thing was some hyper serious silent animated short about deja vu where a cat is the first thing resurrections technology is used on and they have some super tragic backstory or something

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Butternubs posted:

The tagline should have been "we made the film wrong, as a joke"

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

This was uh, not very good

My expectations were incredibly low though so I enjoyed it in a schlocky way

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Odoyle posted:

Oh jeez I just realized the human settlement isn’t “Io” like the moon or the goddess, it’s “I/O” like Input/Output. /groan

wait until you hear about what Zion stood for

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Odoyle posted:

Considering there were people who missed the reason Niobe is old I think you can be forgiven.

Not related to you specifically, but looking at some reviews and criticisms of this film, it's amazing the degree to which people can not only miss subtext but the actual text of the film itself. I don't think it bodes well for film as a medium, because if you have to spell out every tiny detail multiple times to make sure it doesn't go over anyone's head, it really hamstrings your ability to create art.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Does understanding the subtext suddenly make people enjoy it?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Vintersorg posted:

I tend to prefer books where the letters form words, and the words are in turn arranged into coherent prose.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Asema posted:

wait until you hear about what Zion stood for

Is there word play involved beyond the JudeoChristian meaning?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Vintersorg posted:

I don't know about "suddenly" but for me the success of this movie and the other Matrix movies hinges in large part on the subtext, yes. I like other stuff too but the subtext is part of what I find interesting and enjoyable.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
After watching the movie I am only further convinced that it would have been better as a VR game with the graphics from the Unreal tech demo. Settling for a movie, still pretty good

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Now we need a video game tie-in to the movie that goes even more into the meta

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

yeah when I walked out of the theater the other day I was definitely thinking to myself that I'm gonna be pissed if we don't get an epic new Matrix game. i want it so bad

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
At the risk of reigniting the rather silly therapist conversation again (the movie is not saying all therapists are evil...) here is a relatively nuanced, detailed work of criticism on the topic (by a critic who has a lot of stuff to say about the series - see also this article about how the movie helped her accept herself as a transgender woman and this podcast episode plus this podcast episode if you want more).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not quite it, but its the Matrix Unreal Engine 5 tech demo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Necrothatcher posted:

The cis white hetero couple are secretly trans.

I mean, neither Neo nor Trinity are trans but you're being willfully dense if you don't get the subtext of somebody stuck in a loop, living the life of a person who doesn't exist, waiting to discover who they really are, and the whole world sees a mirror image different than the one they perceive for themselves.

Lana couldn't have made that allegory any more obvious. :shrug:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Mental health professionals are there to manipulate you. Going off meds will actually help you understand the world better. You love her, she doesn't really know who you are but come on she doesn't actually love that guy. Everyone else you see is functionally just a bot following a loop or someone actively trying to suppress you. When you drink and consider suicide it's the only time you're really alive.

This person certainly isn't about to shoot up a grocery store.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I don’t think the movie is in any way anti-psychiatric and in fact the Analyst’s plan for controlling people by paying attention to people’s emotional realities and personal narratives and keeping them in repetition compulsions that can never be satisfied coheres extremely well with Classical Psychoanalysis.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

I liked the movie, but it feels like there's a lot of heavy mental gymnastics going on in ITT.

"no, the evil therapist prescribing the bad medication is actually not a therapist.

Do you think what The Analyst was doing with Neo was a genuine attempt at therapy? Do you think he was seeing patients other than Neo?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

TTBF posted:

Do you think what The Analyst was doing with Neo was a genuine attempt at therapy? Do you think he was seeing patients other than Neo?

Lol I love this idea.

Sorry, Thomas, can we reschedule? I built this world for you buuut I’m about to hit a breakthrough with Becky and I need to see this through.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
there are really bad gatekeeping therapists, especially in the trans world, and NPH's character is clearly representative of that kind of therapist.

it's not subtle

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I thought it was great that "matrix within a matrix" happened, not once but twice.

The modal but also subtly with Neo with the VR headset during the montage.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, neither Neo nor Trinity are trans but you're being willfully dense if you don't get the subtext of somebody stuck in a loop, living the life of a person who doesn't exist, waiting to discover who they really are, and the whole world sees a mirror image different than the one they perceive for themselves.

Lana couldn't have made that allegory any more obvious. :shrug:

Why not just put trans characters in the movie?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The audacity of just showing film footage and going "yep, this is a video game, this is a video game that was made".

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

The audacity of just showing film footage and going "yep, this is a video game, this is a video game that was made".

Thomas Anderson: Sega CD visionary.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

King Vidiot posted:

Seems almost like dream logic to me. If only there was some premise of this film which placed the events into the context of dreams or simulacrum

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I wanna give a quick shout out to the dude who played the conventional boring Chicago Cop in Sense8 showing up in fetish gear in this movie. I think at one point he was literally wearing a dog collar while fighting Agents. Props.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

tin can made man posted:

Seems almost like dream logic to me. If only there was some premise of this film which placed the events into the context of dreams or simulacrum

Cool, I thought it was funny and I like the movie but go off.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
As a person with mental health problems, I was initially concerned about the "don't take your medicine" angle but then around the Japanese train scene where they do a mass shooting I stopped taking it seriously and was okay with treating the movie as escapism.

The swarm was kind of silly anyway, we didn't need a zombie movie tacked on

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This movie kicks rear end and is a wonderful film about art

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfeGPilWZp0

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mike N Eich posted:

I wanna give a quick shout out to the dude who played the conventional boring Chicago Cop in Sense8 showing up in fetish gear in this movie. I think at one point he was literally wearing a dog collar while fighting Agents. Props.

lol

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Was the Matrix game in the movie Path of Neo?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

J33uk posted:

Mental health professionals are there to manipulate you. Going off meds will actually help you understand the world better. You love her, she doesn't really know who you are but come on she doesn't actually love that guy. Everyone else you see is functionally just a bot following a loop or someone actively trying to suppress you. When you drink and consider suicide it's the only time you're really alive.

Your parents are dead and its OK to use your privilege to punch mentally unstable people in the face

Radiation makes you stronger and the woman you love love you

Join the military and get super steroids and you too can live for 80 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
apparently the morpheus storyline about trying to find neo was the plot of the matrix online video game. wow. thats loving sick canon integration. bravo