Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

oh my loving god I literally have finally just beaten the Pantheon of Hallownest I am screaming

will the shaking subside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The shaking will subside once the spiders emerge, you have two hours

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

this loving game man.

IT'S SO GOOD

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
If only a sequel was in development.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cynicus posted:

oh my loving god I literally have finally just beaten the Pantheon of Hallownest I am screaming

:cheerdoge:

Well done buddy

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Great job! Now display that achievement!

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Congrats!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Cynicus posted:

nice

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
There’s only one achievement worth displaying on your Steam account.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cartoon Man posted:

:mods:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

:hmmyes:

Still sitting at 5.4% of players.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

https://twitter.com/LTHobojim/status/1424556441453608967?s=20

You're a goddamn monster

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

Cartoon Man posted:

genuinely miffed this is not a trophy for the Playstation 4 version.

if it had been, it would've been my first.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

are you sure? it's on the switch version, which doesn't even have system achievements so there's a "quests" item on the title screen.

edit i checked and yeah the ps4 version has 35 trophies while switch/xbox/steam have 63. weird! there are some godhome ones among the ps4 trophies so it's not like they weren't updated.

maybe there's some kind of standards/restrictions for number of PSN trophies that xbox and steam don't have?

big deal fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 25, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
IDK how other systems with them work, but the PS4 segregates trophies into main game and DLC, so if the DLC added enough (? Idk) then that might do it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lol if you haven’t bought this on like 3 different platforms or more.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

not sure what you mean. the post-release content in hollow knight is referred to as "dlc" but it's all just updates to the base game on every platform, no separate store entry. actually looks like the game came out on ps4 and xbox as "voidheart edition" with all the content a month or so after godhome was released.

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

yeah, I played the Voidheart edition on the PS4 first before switching to the PS5 when I got the opportunity. reading the thread I had noticed how a bunch of achievements mentioned were nowhere to be found in my edition, it instead featured an obviously curated list of achievements deemed important enough to constitute for the "complete" Hollow Knight experience.

so imagine my disdain when people in this thread mentioned obtaining a specific let-the-aklaba-yapping-fucker-die trophy and this being nowhere to be found on MY list.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It seems like playstation games are limited by how many points they can give out for trophies, so I guess that limits how many trophies there can be. That's stupid. Typical Sony not understanding things.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Oh my god check out this fight Welonz just had on her blind playthrough with the Broken Vessel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFly-O16718

I won't spoil how the fight ends but it turns into the most confusing introduction to Dream matches for a first time player I've ever seen.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Cactus posted:

Oh my god check out this fight Welonz just had on her blind playthrough with the Broken Vessel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFly-O16718

I won't spoil how the fight ends but it turns into the most confusing introduction to Dream matches for a first time player I've ever seen.

This was excellent lol

Really impressed with the charm usage too, that was cool!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hobojim posted:

This was excellent lol

Really impressed with the charm usage too, that was cool!

Yeah cottoning on to the trick without prompting is really smart.

I just kinda walked up and beat it to death.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Cactus posted:

lol. i like watching blind playthroughs and this looks like a good one, i'm starting from the beginning after watching this video. it's amazing to see someone in the modern era playing through a game with youtube episodes instead of live on a stream, and great for this game because stream watchers can't help but nudge the streamer around even with the best intentions and backseating policies.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah Materwelonz is one of my favourite LPers, she's so perceptive. Check out her Outer Wilds playthrough, it really is something special by the end.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This led me to discover this Speedrunner v 4 Hunters video which seems like a super neat way to play the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoYOfgsx-c8

Basically it's exactly what it sounds like, and the hunters are on voice chat so that you can hear what they're doing even while they're no on screen

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
https://twitter.com/juliaftacek/status/1484284258562805777?s=21

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

They would only need one :twisted:

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Arrhythmia posted:

They would only need one :twisted:

the pandemic would be over by now if everyone simply ate their children

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Which would solve COVID, but the ensuing Wendigo issues would probably make it a bad trade overall.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

We already know the grubs are immune to infection.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

This led me to discover this Speedrunner v 4 Hunters video which seems like a super neat way to play the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoYOfgsx-c8

Basically it's exactly what it sounds like, and the hunters are on voice chat so that you can hear what they're doing even while they're no on screen

I've seen this one yeah, and there's also an insane guy who does the path of pain with like 200 primal aspids constantly spawning around him. There are some... people out there. Who do things. For reasons we will never know. I guess some people drink too much Fanta.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
its cool op

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cactus posted:

I've seen this one yeah, and there's also an insane guy who does the path of pain with like 200 primal aspids constantly spawning around him. There are some... people out there. Who do things. For reasons we will never know. I guess some people drink too much Fanta.

oh my god this owns :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5FnvrEwUlg

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I started this game a while back, it feels a lot more like I imagined its whole genre to be like before playing any of them. I mean in terms of really free-form exploration compared to more linear games like Metroid.
If you do one of the endings do you get to go back to the same save file to keep collecting things/doing optional stuff if you want or does it throw you immediately into NG+?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
If you open a save after defeating the final boss, you start right before the final boss and can leave to go do other things.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Item Getter posted:

I started this game a while back, it feels a lot more like I imagined its whole genre to be like before playing any of them. I mean in terms of really free-form exploration compared to more linear games like Metroid.
Have you played Super Metroid? If there's any one classic game that Hollow Knight is most like, I would say it's that. It's kind of a modern thing that the Metroid series has shifted into experimenting with more linear structure.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Bleck posted:

If you open a save after defeating the final boss, you start right before the final boss and can leave to go do other things.

Thanks that really helps to know.

Martman posted:

Have you played Super Metroid? If there's any one classic game that Hollow Knight is most like, I would say it's that. It's kind of a modern thing that the Metroid series has shifted into experimenting with more linear structure.

Yeah, I played Super Metroid for the first time right before I started Hollow Knight, was including that one when I was talking about Metroid games being linear. I guess mostly in terms of there being a mostly linear intended order of progression through the game gated by needing certain items, and ways to go outside the intended order of events are usually regarded as secrets or special tricks that require skill at "advanced" techniques like wall jumping.
I guess Hollow Knight is fairly linear until Hornet or maybe reaching the City of Tears but after that really opens up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is more like Hollow Knight than Super Metroid is, IMO, but it’s splitting hairs. When people talk about Metroidvania games, they are talking about games like Symphony of the Night or Super Metroid. I strongly recommend Symphony of the Night of you haven’t played that yet and want more spooky exploration fun

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's funny because Metroidvania could also describe a 3D action adventure but I haven't seen it used that way

Like, Devil May Cry is technically a Metroidvania lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
There's no meaningful difference between the zelda series and metroidvanias.