Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
OP needs a section for “games that are like role playing stories” since that’s a big genre of the past few years and more to come on kickstarter.

Eg, Gloomhaven, THAT LANTERN GAME, 7th continent, sleeping gods, (soon) ISS vanguard, vampire chapters, etc. Maybe some semi-randoms like Too Many Bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

JoeRules posted:

i dont know if i've been here long enough to say this but, the sooner we get a new OP the better

Shots fired at Tekopo :lol:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

OP needs a section for “games that are like role playing stories” since that’s a big genre of the past few years and more to come on kickstarter.

Eg, Gloomhaven, THAT LANTERN GAME, 7th continent, sleeping gods, (soon) ISS vanguard, vampire chapters, etc. Maybe some semi-randoms like Too Many Bones

I don't know that I'd want to lump Gloomhaven and TMB in with experience generators.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bottom Liner posted:

Shots fired at Tekopo :lol:
I mean, I said this myself, and I've been repeating that we needed an up to date OP for a few years now. The OP of this thread was originally posted 7 years ago. The boardgaming landscape has changed substantially since then and quite frankly I haven't been keeping up to date.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I mean, I said this myself, and I've been repeating that we needed an up to date OP for a few years now. The OP of this thread was originally posted 7 years ago. The boardgaming landscape has changed substantially since then and quite frankly I haven't been keeping up to date.

I was just joking that they meant you and not the actual post!

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Sorry for not getting it. What is wrong with Kingdom Death:Monsters?

Just saw the webpage and some miniatures. Are they chuds?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mordekai posted:

You might want to take a look at the last guy's rap sheet. KDM discussion is now Officially Prohibited in TG.

Will Tekopo 2nd Edition come with better quality components? I'm not buying it if it's just Zendo in a different box.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tekopo 2nd Edition will just be different flavours of fighting card games and/or OCS.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also ask me about my crippling addiction to fighting card games.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Terraforming Mars has corporations increase biodiversity and make the Environment more livable. State actors would have been a less nonsensical pick for what you do.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tekopo posted:

I don't have to, I heard you got sectioned after they found you in a car park jumping up and down on an Ascension Year Two box set.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Sakura Arms vs BCON go

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

BCON is better because fighting card games need a foundation of having fixed decks, since this simulates the fixed set of actions that are present within actual fighting games and therefore even the limited deck construction/character mixing present within Sakura Arms is inimical to the theme that it tries to convey.

On the other hand, Sakura Arms is better at representing that feeling of "footsies" which is almost completely missing from BaCON: I would say that BaCON is more about guessing what your opponent is going to do, while Sakura Arms is mainly concerned with proper spacing and attacking when you are at a range favourable to you.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mordekai posted:

There's a line somewhere between "body horror" and "exploitation". That line can get blurry and people can disagree on where that is. Thread consensus and KDM's own advertising put it firmly across that line. Fans of the game will find that debatable, but the general board game thread isn't the place for that debate.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Instead of having this conversation again, just read a few pages back where there already was a tedious conversation about KDM

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

1889 hit 150k, goddamn. Tile trays!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like board games

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

FirstAidKite posted:

I like board games

Get out. Only grumbling is allowed in this thread.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I like board games

Disgusting

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What was a game you were hyped for, but played this year and were disappointed in?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

tomdidiot posted:

Get out. Only grumbling is allowed in this thread.

What about grumbling games like blackjack and poker

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What was a game you were hyped for, but played this year and were disappointed in?

Blue Skies probably, wasn't bad but I think it ended up being much lighter fare than I was hoping for.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FirstAidKite posted:

What about grumbling games like blackjack and poker

Razz is the biggest grumbling form of poker.

It's so good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Played samurai a bunch of times and 49 yesterday. Love my new dunes chips, love the giant sun. Time to make an 18xx air hockey game.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Played Res Arcana this year and was extremely underwhelmed by it. Idk, felt like I should like it in principle, the idea of Magic-lite seemed good. But actually playing it was just... kinda fine? I can't say it's bad, but I also had zero desire to play it again. Also, art and theming is very generic fantasy, didn't do anything for me.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Ok here's a list of games recs by weight and player count. I'll list more on the lighter to med side as a primer for anyone looking for intro and next step stuff. I'm going to skew med toward the lighter side because what we consider med weight would be pretty heavy for newcomers. Also some of these are more flexible in player counts but I'll put them in the category they fit best.

You’re such an evangelist for Pax Pamir 2E. Did you leave it off because of lack of availability?

Edit: I know it’s a bit passé around here now, but as a light/mid weight game for newbies I’d have to recommend Pandemic simply because it was my entry into the hobby. I also think for certain people with negative associations of bad competitive board games from childhood, Pandemic can be a great example of how co-op games can really open a lot of doors for you. I probably haven’t played Pandemic (not including Legacy) since 2015 or so, but it’ll always have a place in my heart. Plus it has the added benefit of a few solid expansions if it sinks its hooks into people.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 24, 2021

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
There was an update about the Deep Rock Galactic board game: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/548430/view/3112548284786723757
mostly showing off their sample models and other initial samples of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcQ3caHdjW0

Unless you've played the videogame, this is not very exciting, but it is interesting because they are being pretty transparent with their thought processes over making the game and kickstarting something that is hopefully fun to play, but also is a way to grab miniatures of all your favorite dwarves and bugs. See earlier blog post here: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/548430/view/2872724629103521451
I also appreciate that they are linking to the people they are working with like the modeler.

I'm definitely one of the last people who would back a primarily minis kickstarter, but I really love DRG so I guess I found the property I'm interested in enough to actually throw down some cash :shrug:

also deep rock galactic is fun as hell and if you are in the market for a co-op shooter with tons of content and excellent design, I'd check it out!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mordekai posted:

Its sleazy and gross, so its contentious until a younger generation finds a way to call us all conservatives about it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

You’re such an evangelist for Pax Pamir 2E. Did you leave it off because of lack of availability?

Oops! Yeah I’ll add both Pamir and Pandemic to the list.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 24, 2021

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jedit posted:

I don't know that I'd want to lump Gloomhaven and TMB in with experience generators.

What’s the qualifier for an “experience generator”? I have Gloomhaven, Too Many Bones, Kingdom Death, Sleeping Gods, Etherfields, (ISS Vanguard, Darkest Dungeon, Vampire Chapters) and they all “feel” about the same to me except with some as one-shots and some as multi-session campaigns.

Mechanics and themes are different, obviously, but the macro game play loop is: read a thing, resolve an encounter, get something new.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Obviously it's going to be pretty subjective but experience generators generally revolve around anything-can-happen randomness over balance or depth.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is it too much to ask that a recommended game be available through an FLGS?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Tekopo posted:

Absolutely no dig at you or the OP's content, more the :yikes:ness of the last several pages

On another note, since my Xmas plans are now 100% entirely canceled, I went ahead and bought all the Dice Throne sets I was missing. That seems healthy, right?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
My Hollandays order arrived just in time for Christmas.

Debating taking Nicaea to my family's house and seeing if I can get a game in. It might be too complex for them though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Delineation of "players/weight" is useless in TYOOL 2K21 since board games are way too broad. It was fine when Agricola was the hotness, but there's no way that's a useful metric anymore.

A "2-4 player thread weight" game could be Gloomhaven or Lisboa or Brass or Nemesis, and they're all drastically different. Also, if someone comes in like "I need a 2p game with my spouse", the follow-up is always "well, what do you like?"

So, taxonomy by players/weight is useless.

Instead, OP should have games listed by theme/mechanics since that's what most people like anyway.

Eg, a "2P game with my spouse" could be Fox in the forest, Gloomhaven, the Fuzzies, Fog of Love, Galaxy Trucker (or THAT LANTERN GAME if you're my wife and me).

Ex (just with some of the games I have, use whatever the recs are for the OP) :

Games with cards
Fox In the Forest [2] -- Hearts with special powers
Skull [3-6] -- Poker if it was all bluffing and played with drink coasters

Games that are more like toys
Wavelength [4-N] -- Spin a big dial and guess where your friends land on the spectrum of two opposites
The Fuzzies [2-4] -- Jenga but with fluffy balls and tweezers

Games where you solve a narrative mystery or puzzle
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective [1-N] -- Read a thick case book, look at the newspaper, lie in a stupor figuring out what it all means.
EXIT the game (various) [1-N] -- "Escape room" puzzle in a box.

Press-your-luck and random games
The Quacks of Quedlinberg [2-5] -- Draw potion ingredients from a sack to make the best potion for the wizard market, and hope your potion doesn't explode
Galaxy Trucker [2-4] -- Quickly build a spaceship out of junk and watch everyones ship falls apart as they convoy between planets

"Fancy" euros
Lisboa [2-4] -- Rebuild a destroyed ancient Portugal
Rococo [2-4] -- Make the fanciest dresses for the royal ball

Races and "move to the end"
Flamme Rouge [2-6] -- Play cards to race your 1920's bicycle duo

And so on. Could have secret role/traitor games, "dudes on a board" games, cute city builders, dice chuckers, games that are like D&D without a DM, whatever other categories.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 24, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Well my list is not anything official, literally just my favorites in each category. Also, “available” is such a nebulous thing in this hobby, where big releases from Asmodee can be just as hard to find in stock as Kickstarter exclusive releases. Print runs are necessarily small because of production and now especially shipping, so publishers are very conservative with their orders. Every now and then you get a breakout like Azul but 99% get small runs.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

CitizenKeen posted:

I think it is. Keep in mind that lots of people still live in rural areas where hobby games are hard to find. I do think though that the games should be generally available. No recommendations of Antiquity or other out of print games, and honestly I would want the games (unless there's a clear reason) to be under $100 at the least.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mayveena posted:

I think it is. Keep in mind that lots of people still live in rural areas where hobby games are hard to find. I do think though that the games should be generally available. No recommendations of Antiquity or other out of print games, and honestly I would want the games (unless there's a clear reason) to be under $100 at the least.

Sub-$100 is going to cut out a genre of games like Gloomhaven and Too Many Bones.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

PRADA SLUT posted:

Sub-$100 is going to cut out a genre of games like Gloomhaven and Too Many Bones.

Jaws of the Lion is 40 dollars. You just want a precedent to recommend a lovely titty and rape game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PRADA SLUT posted:

There’s no reason to push $100 games in a guide meant for people new to the hobby.