Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

eXXon posted:

Sending everyone test kits won't do anything to alleviate local test kit/capacity shortages and reporting delays, obviouslly.

... wait, what?

Don't try to look for logic in it, the only logic in partisanship is defend the team.

It is good that the government didn't come up with a testing plan for the next variant after what happened with Delta, because Americans are all stupid thick-skulled orcs who would HULK SMASH all the tests anyway so it's better to send that money to someone who would appreciate it like the IDF. And we know this is true because otherwise our political sports team would look bad. How does this jive with the week long wait to get tested that we have here in Texas land of the orcish hordes? Doesn't matter, goal is defending the team, not critically analyzing what is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Gumball Gumption posted:

https://twitter.com/isaacstanbecker/status/1474103343828156419

They had the opportunity to do things earlier and rejected experts, no one is saying it's a magic bullet just that it would have an impact.

Also I'm a huge fan of the thread right now.

Two people: Doing anything would help people I hate, red states.
*Crickets*
Willa: Liberals believe this
Everyone: whoa hey get out with these stupid generalizations.

Sorry I haven’t met your post quota in more or less echoing what other people have already said, I’ll fix it right now:

VorpalBunny posted:

The tests and masks would be burned outside every school board meeting in half the country. Why do you folks think they would help in any way to mitigate the spread in the very places who act as if Covid doesn't exist?
As long as we have the capacity and don’t short any testing sites/etc, I don’t see the harm in sending them out to everyone as well. Even if they mostly go unused.

Is that better, Gumball Gumption?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 24, 2021

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Kalit posted:

Because of posters who want to “own the libs”? That’s about the best explanation I can come up with for Willa taking a couple of posters’ opinions and pretending like everyone who’s a liberal would also agree with that

I’d say Arguments against sending out tests to everyone are a bigger problem.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Srice posted:

clearly the whitehouse plan of calling them idiots that deserve to die for not getting vaccinated isn't changing any minds, y'know?

The WH plan of mandating vaccinations is good though. I see at my work - the chuds who weren’t going to get vaccinated and have been railing against / saying COVID is just a flu bro have started the vaccination process.

The admin should still ship n95s/tests to every household in America, and do whatever they can to enforce masks (n95s) everywhere, but the vaccine mandate is good and I think will move the vaccination numbers positively soon based on what I am seeing at work.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kalit posted:

Sorry I haven’t met your post quota in more or less echoing what other people have already said, I’ll fix it right now:

As long as we have the capacity and don’t short any testing sites/etc, I don’t see the harm in sending them out to everyone as well. Even if they mostly go unused.

Is that better, Gumball Gumption?

Wow, you just let people move into your head without even trying. I mostly just think it's really dumb how often D&D says it's the smart politics forum and how often it's actually unhinged rants about political enemies.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
Sometimes I think about that old line about how homophobes are afraid of men treating them the way they want to treat women and how it perfectly applies to liberalism here. Setting aside all the tedious arguments about who is liberal and who is left and whether it's more important how you call yourself and what you intend or what actually happens and what we should call that, there's an inevitable contradiction if it is tolerated to generalize all the evil republicans but if you generalize liberals that's bad because they are the good guys. No one ever says it in quite as many words so every time it's brought up someone demands to be quoted saying exactly that. But I think we all see it happening. I'm not sure how we resolve it as a community. Mostly, we can probably stand to be a bit kinder. But if you think you are a liberal and someone says something about liberals you think doesn't apply to you, maybe you can try letting it go sometimes.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 24, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Welp, it's about that time again:
https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1474281940899487749

quote:

Police initially responded to reports of a person being assaulted with a deadly weapon as well as reports of shots being fired, said Los Angeles police Capt. Stacy Spell at a news conference. Spell said officers opened fire when they saw the suspect assaulting another person.

The suspect was struck by the officers’ bullets and killed, Spell said.

One of the bullets went through a dressing room wall and struck the 14-year-old girl, according to LAPD Assistant Chief Dominic Choi. Officers later found her inside.

What a bunch of assholes.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

https://twitter.com/isaacstanbecker/status/1474103343828156419

They had the opportunity to do things earlier and rejected experts, no one is saying it's a magic bullet just that it would have an impact.
"Omicron Determined to Strike in the U.S."

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At the very least it’s been obvious that omicron was coming for a month, there’s no excuse for not starting the testing expansion a month ago. My family needed to take a bunch of tests this week and we were able to, but it wasn’t easy to get them - by next week, with case rates what they are, it’ll probably be nearly impossible, and people won’t be able to get the BidenTests until mid-late January, if not later.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I'm loving livid that Biden and the dems won't even attempt a lock down or even encouraging testing/ boosters before people see family on Christmas, but honestly I'm at my wits end frustrated with the people who won't do the right things as well.

You can't control the peoole who won't get tested/ vaccinated or idealogically believe COVID is a hoax. That will never change. They are all going to do what they want anyway. Even if you put out more restrictive policies the fuckheads are just going to ignore it anyway at this point. They don't care about other people. They don't care about their relatives. They barely care anout their children. Their ideology is 10 times more important because it reinforces their cultural narcissism.

Like I'm sorry, and this administration could be doing a lot more, but that survey Leon Trotsky posted says it all: the unvaccinated largely just don't care at all, and even if they lose loved ones they never will.

I've had adult Ed students who have lost 3-4 older relatives/ friends in the last few months, and STILL think COVID is a hoax or overblown. Literally watched a relative die on a vent, go to the funeral and mourn, and then tell me their Counselor that "Well it's not that big a deal if I don't wear my mask or get vaccinated" "It's all a hoax/ overblown anyway." Hell, even if THEY get it many of them are adamant they don't need to get vaccinated even after they recover from being terribly ill.

There's just not a government solution to that level of ideological brain rot. Like more tests/ masks might help people on the fence/ already obeying regulations and complying, but at this point I think it's diminishing returns, and I can only imagine the deranged backlash to ANY attempts to go back to stricter regulations to fight COVID (though as someone who works in a school in the worst hotspots in our country in a deeply red county, I sincerely wish the school board would get some courage and at least madate masks, though we honestly need a lockdown but gently caress if that will ever happen again). I just don't think at this point ANYTHING this administration does will change these people's minds, unless you REALLY go after misinformation in a big way.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 24, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Glimm posted:

The WH plan of mandating vaccinations is good though. I see at my work - the chuds who weren’t going to get vaccinated and have been railing against / saying COVID is just a flu bro have started the vaccination process.

The admin should still ship n95s/tests to every household in America, and do whatever they can to enforce masks (n95s) everywhere, but the vaccine mandate is good and I think will move the vaccination numbers positively soon based on what I am seeing at work.

It is good, though it feels like they really dragged their feet on starting up that mandate when there was always gonna be a bunch of hurdles that would take time to get past.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Kalit posted:

Well it just wouldn't be a American holiday experience without a barely trained cop wildly shooting a child to death.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Kalit posted:

I’m sure they were aiming for her leg.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kalit posted:

The press release is a tour de force of passive voice

https://twitter.com/LAPDPIO/status/1474172738797334533?t=d38Lk14TxaZ26vXFKGan8w&s=19

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Pretending things are normal proves the biden admin did good and the economy is back on track.

Going against that narrative could hurt... businesses, maybe the stock market and democrats'electoral chances. Which is simultaneously both "of course they would" and silly because it goes against obvious reality.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

You gotta love how they try to obfuscate what they did with their technical cop jargon.

"Our officers found what appeared to be a non-functioning biological mass that had been active for the previous 168 lunar cycles. The entity may have been joined with a small amount of supersonic non-ferrous material preceding the event."

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Me and all my friends, family and coworkers are desperately trying to acquire at home rapid tests and having very little luck doing so, so yes I think the government should’ve sent out rapid tests to everyone before the holidays and yes i’m mad that they didn’t. “B-b-but what if some people don’t use the tests?” is completely asinine.

"What if the people I disagree with got mad" seems to be a constant refrain and call to inaction sometimes.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Always be aware of your target and what is behind it

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cranappleberry posted:

Pretending things are normal proves the biden admin did good and the economy is back on track.

Going against that narrative could hurt... businesses, maybe the stock market and democrats'electoral chances. Which is simultaneously both "of course they would" and silly because it goes against obvious reality.

Yeah, like I said before, nobody in power wants to force a lockdown or do what actually needs to be done in order to stop this poo poo, because if they do, then the Economy Number goes down and that's unacceptable.
Much easier to pretend that there is no pandemic in Ba Sing Se the USA

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

the_steve posted:

Yeah, like I said before, nobody in power wants to force a lockdown or do what actually needs to be done in order to stop this poo poo, because if they do, then the Economy Number goes down and that's unacceptable.

How does a lockdown get enforced and how do you do it when the majority of Americans, across economic, social, racial, and ethnic groups, are against it?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Why have laws at all, sometimes people do not follow them, and they are often difficult to enforce. I am very smart.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

How does a lockdown get enforced and how do you do it when the majority of Americans, across economic, social, racial, and ethnic groups, are against it?

Pay them to stay home, fine them if they don't.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

the_steve posted:

It's the Trump policy of "Don't test and theirs no covid bing bong so simple" but with extra steps.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Turns out it’s hard to govern a country through a crisis when 30% of its population is fanatically devoted to being wrong about everything, who knew.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Srice posted:

Pay people to get vaccinated. They're not getting vaccinated at the cost of $0 and clearly the whitehouse plan of calling them idiots that deserve to die for not getting vaccinated isn't changing any minds, y'know? Money just goes a long way towards convincing people. Obviously there will still be holdouts but if you give them enough money there will be plenty of anti-vaxx folks that will happily be a sellout. They could get vaccinated and lie to their friends about it, I don't care as long as they get that shot.

And to keep it fair, call it another stimulus. Give everyone who gets vaccinated $2000 or something, and make it retroactive.

I don't think that'll do much at this point, although it's worth a shot. :D

A lot of the unvaccinated now are people who think the vaccine is dangerous, and/or does something nefarious. Offering them money to take it doesn't get them to do so, it just encourages the paranoid worldview. "If it's as good as you say, why do you need to pay people to take it?"

Nucleic Acids posted:

Who cares how the tests or masks would be used if the people who would use them get them?

:argh: liberals!!!

Lib and let die posted:

It's always fun to remind liberals that claim to be in favor of "for all" programs means "for everyone you claim is a Nazi" also.

Is there someone out there ideologically testing who gets covid tests?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Majorian posted:

Pay them to stay home, fine them if they don't.

He does that get enforced in states under Republican control?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Paying people to stay at home would presumably be a federal thing; one probably couldn't enforce fining people if they broke quarantine, but hopefully just having it on the books would deter a few people. Maybe not, maybe it would encourage more people to go outside as an act of dumbass rebellion or whatever. Anyway, the "paying people to stay home" part is obviously more important.

e: \/\/\/

Herstory Begins Now posted:

sounds like something you'd need 50+ votes for in the senate?

Of course, but I thought we were talking about hypotheticals here, ie: "what if all the Dems in Congress actually wanted to slow down/end this pandemic?"

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 24, 2021

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

There are lots of laws that Republicans hate that are still enforced, even in red states. The government isn't suddenly powerless to enforce policy just because you want to shield Biden from criticism.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
sounds like something you'd need 50+ votes for in the senate?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The majority of Americans are against federal marijuana laws but here we are.

Anyways if Biden had the option to send out free tests earlier but chose not to, that's an impeachable offense in my opinion. It wasn't too long ago they were talking about insurance rebates or something. They were completely unprepared for this.

https://twitter.com/MrsT106/status/1474048541911916544

I guess this is what we got for Christmas, instead of free tests.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 24, 2021

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Please use your words and not your rage.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Ciprian Maricon posted:

There are lots of laws that Republicans hate that are still enforced, even in red states. The government isn't suddenly powerless to enforce policy just because you want to shield Biden from criticism.

Are they enforced on whites?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The federal government doesn't have that power though.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Majorian posted:

Paying people to stay at home would presumably be a federal thing; one probably couldn't enforce fining people if they broke quarantine, but hopefully just having it on the books would deter a few people. Maybe not, maybe it would encourage more people to go outside as an act of dumbass rebellion or whatever. Anyway, the "paying people to stay home" part is obviously more important.

e: \/\/\/

Of course, but I thought we were talking about hypotheticals here, ie: "what if all the Dems in Congress actually wanted to slow down/end this pandemic?"

Eh.... earlier on I would have agreed with you, but I think we're far past that being an effective attempt at a strategy. A significant part of the population work critical jobs where they have to interact with others/the public (utilities, grocery stores, hospitals, etc). On top of that, a lot of (or most?) other people that don't have those type of jobs will always still go see and socialize with family/friends/etc.

It seems like mandates on vaccines/boosters/masks would definitely be more effective/efficient. Take a look at Japan's response: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/13/back-from-the-brink-how-japan-became-a-surprise-covid-success-story

quote:

Yet something remarkable has happened in Japan in the two months since Emperor Naruhito declared the Games closed.

This week, almost a fortnight since emergency measures were finally lifted, new infections continue to plummet in Tokyo and across the country. While parts of Europe, including Britain, struggle to contain cases – despite a modest decline globally since August – infections in Japan have fallen to their lowest levels in more than a year, triggering optimism that the worst may be over for the world’s third-biggest economy.

On Monday, Tokyo reported 49 cases, the lowest daily figure since late June last year, while the nationwide count was 369.

Experts say no single factor can explain the extraordinary turnaround in Japan’ fortunes.

But there is broad consensus that after a frustratingly slow start, its vaccination rollout has transformed into an impressive public health campaign that has met with little of the resistance that has slowed the rollout in the US, despite Japan’s complicated historical relationship with inoculations.

To date, Japan has administered Covid vaccines to protect almost 70% of its 126 million population.

The government has said that vaccines will have been given to everyone who wants them by November, while this week the new prime minister, Fumio Kishida, said booster shots would be offered from December, beginning with medical workers and older people.

Another factor cited by experts is the widespread wearing of masks – a habit ingrained during pre-pandemic flu seasons. As other countries drop requirements for face coverings in indoor and other settings, most Japanese still shudder at the thought of venturing out maskless.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

Please use your words and not your rage.

It was meant as a joke. "Who would do awful thing X?" gets asked fairly regularly, and the answer is always "liberals" so I was amused when you asked the question, because I knew immediately what was coming and wasn't disappointed.

The real answer is that nobody cares. I think the right thing to do would be to try and estimate what use of our limited number of tests gives us the most positive impact. If that's sending everyone in the US a bunch of tests, then let's do it.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Sharkie posted:

The majority of Americans are against federal marijuana laws but here we are.

Anyways if Biden had the option to send out free tests earlier but chose not to, that's an impeachable offense in my opinion. It wasn't too long ago they were talking about insurance rebates or something. They were completely unprepared for this.

https://twitter.com/MrsT106/status/1474048541911916544

I guess this is what we got for Christmas, instead of free tests.

What kind of pervert is this meant to appeal to?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Merry Christmas

https://twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1474447656407687172?s=21

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kalit posted:

Eh.... earlier on I would have agreed with you, but I think we're far past that being an effective attempt at a strategy.

Of course, none of this is actually feasible given our political situation. Neither the Republicans nor the Democrats have been willing to do what actually needs to be done. Again, I was speaking purely hypothetically about what could have been done earlier on.

I couldn't have asked for a better Christmas gift. God bless us everyone.:allears:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 24, 2021

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Turns out it’s hard to govern a country through a crisis when 30% of its population is fanatically devoted to being wrong about everything, who knew.

This is American exceptionalism except from the angle that Americans are so uniquely horrible that the things other countries do wouldn't work. There is a long history of failure to govern by both parties that brought us here and a lot of the people in power now were in power making all those mistakes. Other countries did better not because they lacked something magical that kept them from being fanatically devoted to being wrong. They did better because they have functioning governments and healthcare systems that people actually have trust in. Part of having a government is doing what you can to protect everyone even if they're loving idiots who suck at protecting themselves. We absolutely fail at that as a country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kalit posted:

I mean... you were trying to draw a comparison of a time of 30+% unemployment rate to what the US is currently experiencing. That's a pretty :psypop: comparison

Considering how people are being paid unlivable wages, not really.

There is more to the economy than employment rate(which is why the government loves talking about just HOW MANY JOBS there are and conveniently leaves out the quality of said jobs)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 24, 2021