Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Trickjaw posted:

I'm watching North by Northwest, a Wonderful life was on earlier, and I think bttf is on itv 2 now. Quality abounds, however I did notice Frozen was on earlier, and I'm never watching that. If its sitcom specials etc, I'd guess 8ts Mrs Brown's boys. Apparently, Some Motgers do 'Ave em Xmas special was on earlier this week.

Frozen is pretty good tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Currently being forced to watch all those unbearable posh people do up houses for Christmas parties (held outdoors with guests in t-shirts and the foliage in full bloom).

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Mebh posted:

Off with my wife to go for our first wigilia with my polish friend and her husband Should be fun! Tonnes of awesome veggie food woop. Get to meet her whippet! Yay doggos.

Have a lovely evening all!

Can you translate this into English please?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

sebzilla posted:

Vent incoming:

My daughter (six) and my partner are incapable of spending more than two minutes in each other's company without it resulting in a massive row right now, we were going to go out and look at some Christmas lights and have Tim Hortons pancakes this morning but my daughter argued about getting dressed until my partner went back to bed crying. Then I took her out to the park just to get some space and when we came home there was immediately another argument (daughter was cold/wet and wanted a bath, partner wanted to have a quick shower and then go out) resulting in back to bed again. Daughter is now in the bath listening to a story cd, partner still in bed, my plans to cook a roast dinner and spend the afternoon/evening eating snacks and watching Doctor Who in front of the fire are nixed because my partner doesn't want to do any of that with us. It's loving exhausting and I can't deal with the constant swinging between my partner wanting to do something nice and and wanting to do nothing and be left alone. And I can't just do the nice things for myself because gently caress it all I just want the three of us to be together doing something chilled out. It shouldn't be this difficult.
How is a grown rear end adult feuding with (and coming off worse) with a 6 year old child? There is something seriously wrong there. It is a hard situation to parse if I'm brutally honest.

Potato chat - par boil the potatoes first and then bash them around in the pan, then transfer to a roasting tin full of boiling oil you've had in the oven in the meantime. You get all that nice crispiness then. Also plenty of salt (even on frozen roasties) as it sucks the moisture out.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sebzilla posted:

Yeah it's aight actually

I like Moana better though

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

sebzilla posted:

Ah, not my taste, sadly. I feel like I know it by osmosis, anyway. Just waiting to break out the ale and green, personally. Dad's Army was actually quite funny, it was the episode with Mainwaring's brother, as Arthur Lowe was usually pissed out of his gourd, so he could play the brother excellently.

Now we abort, Carol's from Kings.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

Wasn't he pro Brexit?

No. Where did you hear that?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Got to pick the Xmas Eve movie so am going with Batman Returns. Nothing says festive cheer like an evil penguin man / dominatrix fetish flick

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

Got to pick the Xmas Eve movie so am going with Batman Returns. Nothing says festive cheer like an evil penguin man / dominatrix fetish flick

I always loved the

Josh : Not a lot of reflective surfaces down in the sewer, huh?
The Penguin : Still... could be worse. My nose could be gushing blood.
Josh : Your nose could be... what do you mean by tha...
*Penguin bites Josh's nose*

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

Eh, when you're right, you're right.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 24, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah it's aight actually

I like Moana better though

Yeah both Frozen and Moana are decent, but the songs in Frozen are absolute tripe whereas the songs in Moana have made me cry more than once lol

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Just Another Lurker posted:

I'm doing sautéed brussell sprouts with bacon lardons and garlic as a side dish tomorrow.

What the whaaaat? I was planning this exact thing.

Posh steak + stilton, sausages in bacon, herbed potatoes, the sprouts thing, and mashed carrots.

Tiramisu for afters, then rum and coke with lots of ice in front of No Time To Die.

A crapulous utopia. Gout? Never heard of it. Sounds made up.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Only Kindness posted:

What the whaaaat? I was planning this exact thing.

Posh steak + stilton, sausages in bacon, herbed potatoes, the sprouts thing, and mashed carrots.

Tiramisu for afters, then rum and coke with lots of ice in front of No Time To Die.

A crapulous utopia. Gout? Never heard of it. Sounds made up.

I'll be round at 11am.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59762286

Stupid sausage roll nonce got the #1

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah both Frozen and Moana are decent, but the songs in Frozen are absolute tripe whereas the songs in Moana have made me cry more than once lol

[Christmas confession mode] me too lol

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

... songs in Frozen are absolute tripe...

You, me, Asda car park. Now.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

If you read the article, it implies they are just ignoring the Boris Johnson song totally.

Edit: poo poo, they said it came in at 5th place.
Sorry, must have just missed that bit.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 24, 2021

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

happyhippy posted:

If you read the article, it implies they are just ignoring the Boris Johnson song totally.

How so?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

happyhippy posted:

quote:

An expletive-laden protest song against Boris Johnson has also made the top five.
is it normal to call it on Christmas eve though? Like who knows how many hundreds of times I intended to stream it on mute between now & midnight

Solidarity to those having a tough time. Ngl I'm in poor mental health myself. With girlfriend's family, honestly there's few places I'd less like to be than loving London lmao

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Thanks for the reminder, I was meaning to watch that tonight as well! It's been almost 20 years I think. I vaguely recall Batman is just setting people on fire from the off, right?

deano
Sep 6, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

garlic is a faff

So so so Wrong. Least you consistant, or more a croissant now.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Convex posted:

Thanks for the reminder, I was meaning to watch that tonight as well! It's been almost 20 years I think. I vaguely recall Batman is just setting people on fire from the off, right?

bAtMaN DoEsN't kiLL, say movie weenies, completely missing the point of BvS. Batman loving kills people all the loving time, says I, c.f.: all the other movies.

This year, after 40 years of it popping into my mind occasionally, and, post-google, sporadically trying to fathom what it was, I finally found the one comic book I ever read, in 1979 or so. It didn't have a cover (US import I would guess) but I remembered Ghost Rider was in it. Turns out it was The Legion Of Monsters. A load off my mind.

Only Kindness fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 24, 2021

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Frozen and Moana are both great kids films (other than the usual damaging Disney princess tropes in Frozen), and the fact that I still don't loathe either of them having watched them countless times is testament to that.

Another pro Disney watch is Raya and the Last Dragon (or it might be Raya: The Last Dragon idk). Lacks the charm or music of the other two, but is a decent adventure flick and just gorgeous to look at it. Also has I believe an entirely Asian voice cast, music and direction I believe, which is cool.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

stev posted:

We learned a few years ago that so called experts are to be ignored, shunned or locked up and naturally apply that lesson to all walks of life.

https://twitter.com/scarfolk/status/1474047880545583114

:hmmyes:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Frozen and Moana are fine, but they have one good song each.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

So my partner had a positive lateral flow test yesterday and we cancelled our Xmas plans. We both went and got a PCR test and the results came back negative today, but she took another lateral flow test (from the same batch of 7 if that matters) today and it was positive. She has no symptoms at all.

Our Xmas day plan now is to go to a testing site and do another pcr in the morning and then stay home.

At least we got given a case of wine before Xmas so running out of booze is vanishingly unlikely

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I kind of miss Morecambe and Wise xmas specials, although I am also 90% sure they must have blacked up or something just because of the era they were part of.

Still, there will always be a special part of my brain that lights up ready whenever an ambulance goes past.

There's a lost episode being shown tomorrow for the first time (not sure if first ever or first since the early M&W days).

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Got to my parents a week early to avoid a cancellation like last year, now bro has tested positive so we're stuck in the plague house for the duration. Would be better to share a toothbrush now rather than having to reset the timer if another one of us gets it in a few days. The lord Jesus has dropped a stinker in my lap this year

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Niric posted:

So my partner had a positive lateral flow test yesterday and we cancelled our Xmas plans. We both went and got a PCR test and the results came back negative today, but she took another lateral flow test (from the same batch of 7 if that matters) today and it was positive. She has no symptoms at all.

Our Xmas day plan now is to go to a testing site and do another pcr in the morning and then stay home.

At least we got given a case of wine before Xmas so running out of booze is vanishingly unlikely

That sucks mate, hope you can make the best of it and she stays well.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

sebzilla posted:

I especially liked the bit at the end where the girl's making her way down the mountain and comes face-to-face with the wolves still eating her friends.

Oh you mean Disney's Frozen.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Frozen and Moana are fine, but they have one good song each.

It's extremely strange to me that Frozen doesn't end with a big bombastic reprieve of Let it Go with everybdoy celebrating and having fun with Elsa's cool ice powers. It feels conspicuously absent.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's extremely strange to me that Frozen doesn't end with a big bombastic reprieve of Let it Go with everybdoy celebrating and having fun with Elsa's cool ice powers. It feels conspicuously absent.

None of Frozen makes the faintest sense unless it's viewed through a drowsy alcoholic haze, which makes it a great post-Xmas dinner movie.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I have mastered roast potatoes, and will share with you the secret... Oil spray.

Start by boiling spuds got 10mins tops, drain them shake vigorously to get a layer of mash on the outside. Get a baking tray, spray with oil, and cover with salt & pepper. Pour in mash-coated spuds, gently seperate, then spray and season over the top. Don't flip yet or you lose the mash layer. Slam in the oven. They will take about an hour, but for the first 30mins you need to turn/spray/season every 5 mins to get the crust to start without them sticking. After that, just flip and mix every 10 mins til they are done. Timing-wise, can do first half hour then take out and cool, bung in for final half hour (or freeze and sell fit a huge markup at this precise stage). This is for 180 fan/200 normal, so just add some time if you need the oven cooler for the meat for example.

Oil-wise, I use generic 'vegetable oil' which these days is nearly always 100% rapeseed, only 1/2 the price of the one labelled 'Rapeseed', doesn't make much odds tbh. Getting the mash layer to stay and turn crispy (and salty) is what makes them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish to amend my earlier garlic comments to clarify that I also absolutely love garlic, even if it makes me smell.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jakabite posted:

Black garlic is good but should absolutely not be treated as ‘garlic but nicer and fancier’ as I learned when my broth tasted vaguely like garlicky vomit. Also all you people who don’t like working with it are mad. Crushin’ cloves is how I get my rage out on an evening

I once mixed black garlic into my own home made butter, and used it like regular garlic butter and I didn't know what to think of it even after I'd snaffled down the lot like a pig.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Garlic is a different to mince cloves for each recipe, that’s why we just buy a huge tub of minced garlic from Costco and then use it in virtually everything

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Raya and the Last Dragon (I screwed up the quote first time)

Came here to say that, I really enjoyed that. Despite her terrible stage name Awkwafina's consistently great in everything I've seen.
We use pots of Lazy Garlic despite always having cloves, makes life easier to put them in home made bloodshots.
My Xmas gift to you, for those that like drinking:
1 bottle Big Tom tomato juice (or your preference, I found Cawstons a bit thin)
Vodka of your choice
Garlic (crushed or lazy)
Horseradish
Worcester Sauce
Cayenne pepper
Lemon juice
Red wine (optional)

Distill about half to 2/5ths of the Big Tom out to another container, stick a funnel in the top. Drop the amount of pepper you want in (I go with half a teaspoon or so), a loaded teaspoon of garlic, some lemon juice, pour vodka in and ram down with a chopstick. Repeat with a loaded teaspoon of horseradish, and a glug of red wine. Top the bottle up with vodka, give it a good shake.

Took us a while to get the mix right but hey, experiment, we're on the 8th go now and it's fantastic as a shot.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Wait, is that a drink or a pasta sauce

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Merry Christmas everyone, hope y'all are having a good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
aye, murry christmas, all right, and a tiocfaidh ar la