Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
DB is good and so is IX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It could also be Dragon Quest as well.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Other things that are DBZ poo poo:

Several TV shows, both animated and live action.
A long myth from China.
A lot of MOBAs for some reason.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Now I'm trying to imagine what a less-stylized Zidane would look like.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A tough mom.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy is good those who disagree are stupid

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Playing through XIII again and I’ve gotten past where I left off when it came out (Ch. 5). Now I’m on chapter 7 with Snow/Hope and honestly this poo poo kinda sucks. The combat rules with the right parings but honestly those two suck together. Not big on Fang/Lightning either but whatever.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Skeezy posted:

Playing through XIII again and I’ve gotten past where I left off when it came out (Ch. 5). Now I’m on chapter 7 with Snow/Hope and honestly this poo poo kinda sucks. The combat rules with the right parings but honestly those two suck together. Not big on Fang/Lightning either but whatever.

Snow is pretty great in FFXIII-2, especially in one of the silly endings. FFXIII-2 is a loving great game.

https://youtu.be/hEUOOgNzOv4

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Snow is pretty great in FFXIII-2, especially in one of the silly endings. FFXIII-2 is a loving great game.

https://youtu.be/hEUOOgNzOv4

I’m very much looking forward to XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. Never played LR and I only played XIII-2 very little.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
I just started playing FFXII, never finished this game and always felt it was a bit boring, but decided with this go-around to just turn off gambits and go full manual... genuinely loving the gameplay now. Funny how that works. It's a much better game when I have to actually pay attention during battles.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Skeezy posted:

Snow/Hope is a pretty terrible duo because they're both defensive in nature; Snow's a Sentinel and Hope's a defensive Synergist, so you're never really in danger of dying but it takes forever to kill things, and in a game which rewards you based on speed that's not fun. It's the opposite of Sazh/Vanille where you have lots of offensive buffs and debuffs but if Vanille isn't healing enough to overcome it you croak.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skeezy posted:

I would say Snow/Hope is the worst pairing (its mostly to reintroduce you to sentinel) but on the plus side its probably the absolute shortest section in the game and I think the second to last 2 person party in the game.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Barudak posted:

I would say Snow/Hope is the worst pairing (its mostly to reintroduce you to sentinel) but on the plus side its probably the absolute shortest section in the game and I think the second to last 2 person party in the game.

I powered through it and got to chapter 8. Honestly almost felt like ending my run of the game with those two but once I got Fang/Lightning/Hope it became a lot more fun.

I get that it was meant to be a tutorial for SEN but oh man was it the absolute worst way of doing it. It slowed the game down a ton and really just dragged the chapter for me. Even skipped a few battles if I could just to try and finish faster.

The combat is super fun with the right pairing’s so it’s a shame the game did that to me all of a sudden.

TheIndividual posted:

I just started playing FFXII, never finished this game and always felt it was a bit boring, but decided with this go-around to just turn off gambits and go full manual... genuinely loving the gameplay now. Funny how that works. It's a much better game when I have to actually pay attention during battles.

I’m the opposite with XII, I love turning it on to max speed and setting up the right gambits and having it just auto play. Really gets the brain worms going for me.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 24, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, FFXIII is best when your party is firing on all cylinders. The problem with Fang/Lightning is you've got two coms but only 1 rav and beefy foes so its hard to speed up the process (I end up killing them before the stagger gauge procs usually) and then snow/hope is just oh man sentinel is a crime when you don't have two other jobs.

Luckily chapter 8 is super short and chapter 9 is the promotion to full party full control go ripshit with what we taught you.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sentinel coupled with Ravagers is a good combo but it absolutely does not work if you are stuck with 2 man parties and no Commando for mopping up staggered enemies

As for FFXII, if I started a replay of that game, I would probably put everyone on auto attack and use all other commands manually like mmorpgs of that era.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 24, 2021

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The worst part of the segment isn't even the Snow/Hope pairing, it's who they make leader for that segment. You've got this massive pile of undying beef that is Snow and your leader is Hope in a segment full of enemies capable and willing to murder an actual child. It's not completely awful cause, yeah, it's short, but you quickly learn exactly how bad the aggro management of Sentinel really is in that segment.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Lightning/Fang still had its issues, Fang's SAB role really doesn't help you kill things faster in that chapter and yeah, only one RAV means slower stagger.

Lightning/Hope and Sazh/Vanille were probably the best duos, which is why it's unsurprising people usually go with Lightning/Hope/Fang or Snow/Vanille/Sazh teams for endgame.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Why is there a furby being crucified

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Leal posted:

Why is there a furby being crucified

thats chuchu

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

She's not an astronomically unintelectual looking low level animal, she's Chu-Chu!

On a serious note, finding out Xenogears was a sort of first draft FFVII was so interesting as it explains why Cloud is such a unique main character for the series. He has a lot more in common with Fei than any of the others and that sure explains it

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Is there a way to keep the target info always on in FFXII? It is a small annoyance but I hate that every fight I need to hit the left Dpad button to turn it on.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Lightning/Fang still had its issues, Fang's SAB role really doesn't help you kill things faster in that chapter and yeah, only one RAV means slower stagger.

Lightning/Hope and Sazh/Vanille were probably the best duos, which is why it's unsurprising people usually go with Lightning/Hope/Fang or Snow/Vanille/Sazh teams for endgame.

Lightning/Hope so far has been my favorite pair. Vanilla/Sazh took me a bit to figure out but eventually I enjoyed it a little. Found their chapters pretty boring.

Now I don’t remember but is the combat in XIII-2 faster? Aside from the third party member being a monster did they change anything else?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I went light/hope/fang so i know whats good about that but whats the upside of snow/van/sazh? Theyre damage output seems so low

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mandatory lesbian posted:

I went light/hope/fang so i know whats good about that but whats the upside of snow/van/sazh? Theyre damage output seems so low
Sazh's Blitz will multihit large targets and downright melt really big ones like the elephant things whose name I forget.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

*Churistmas

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Lightning/Hope so far has been my favorite pair. Vanilla/Sazh took me a bit to figure out but eventually I enjoyed it a little. Found their chapters pretty boring.

Now I don’t remember but is the combat in XIII-2 faster? Aside from the third party member being a monster did they change anything else?

There's no more big animation when you Paradigm Shift. I can't rercall if XIII always does it or if it's only the first time in each battle but it's totally gone in XIII-2.

You can switch Leaders at will between Serah and Noel to do specific things with each of them or it will happen automatically if one dies.

It's also a lot easier due to no longer having story/level progression being linked, as well as the generally very non-linear nature of the game. So you'll almost assuredly be overleveled for a lot of story stuff after a point.

Those are the big gameplay changes I can think of.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Switched.on posted:

I’m currently playing The Lion War mod on my N2DSXL. It’s a mod of the original psx version that adds some content from the War of the Lions version (psp and mobile) but retains the original translation. I actually like both translations for different reasons, nostalgia for the original and it’s iconic lines, and the rewrite is more dramatic for better or worse.

Here’s a link to The Lion War https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=12767.0

-Adds unique events from WotL and changed their translation to match the original versions style
-Adds a few new events from the mod scene but there aren’t too many and they don’t spoil the feel of the original game
-the now unplayable Rendevous multiplayer mission content from WotL is added and changed to single player missions, as well as a handful of custom missions by the modders. The treasure wheel from completing these missions was added as well.
-4/5 of the sound novels that were never translated to English officially have been translated and added as prizes from the prepositions, giving a cool way to get lore never seen in the original releases.

For me, one of the biggest reasons to play this version is that the sound quality is much better on the original psx version vs the WotL version. And the random battle shouts the characters would do when using abilities sometimes are of course present since it’s the original psx version.

If you do play war of the lions, make sure you get the mod that fixes the battle animation slowdown as it makes the already long battles unbearable.

Id totally play this if I could. The original spell proclamations were iconic and I remember most of them word for word. "Heaven's wish to destroy all minds.. Holy Explosion!"

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

There's no more big animation when you Paradigm Shift. I can't rercall if XIII always does it or if it's only the first time in each battle but it's totally gone in XIII-2.

This is great to hear, XIII always does it when you first shift but after the first time you don’t see the big animation.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

mandatory lesbian posted:

I haven’t really seen anyone say they use Snow/vanille/sahz, but there are some good merits to them in Chapter 10/11. Vanille/Sahz in general aren’t heavy hitters, but during those points in the story those 2 have access to all the best buff/debuff spells that other characters won’t have gotten yet. You’d usually want Lightning for the leader (best commando for a while) but you can use Snow or Fang for when you need a sentinel.

Chapter 11/12 is around when Fang and Hope start developing further which is where Lightning/Fang/Hope starts being solidly better for the endgame. For postgame who’s best depends more on what you’re preparing for but Fang/Lightning generally cover most things outside of healing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
FF6 PR using 2D HD for the Opera scene is such a goddam tease.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I used Sazh/Vanille/Snow since Sazh had offensive buffs and Vanille has defensive debuffs. Snow was there mostly because he was a Sentinel that has easy access to Ravager and Commando. Vanille's healing was just enough to get through the main story, though I never really did stuff past that.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Golden Goat posted:

The Four Warriors of Light Saved the World, but They Don’t Deserve Our Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY9ubaxTlMs

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sazh/Vanille/Snow is the late game party in the speedrun because it's the high damage party and Sazh's Blitz is broken. Haste, Bravery/Faith, Deprotect/Deshell, Imperil and En-spells are a great combination.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Momomo posted:

I used Sazh/Vanille/Snow since Sazh had offensive buffs and Vanille has defensive debuffs. Snow was there mostly because he was a Sentinel that has easy access to Ravager and Commando. Vanille's healing was just enough to get through the main story, though I never really did stuff past that.

Vanille actually has offensive debuffs (Imperil, etc.). Fang is the defensive SAB (Slowga, etc.).

And yeah, Snow/Sazh/Vanille are solid to begin with because of Sazh's early access to Haste and you have two offensive supports. You could probably replace Snow with Fang and do fine, but Snow's a much easier RAV to get started with and he also has the fastest spell animations if you gear him so he prioritizes spells instead of -strikes.

Lightning/Hope/Fang are I think the optimal party for endgame because of their potential, but Snow/Sazh/Vanille are perfectly good for doing the bulk of content.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Astrochicken posted:

Id totally play this if I could. The original spell proclamations were iconic and I remember most of them word for word. "Heaven's wish to destroy all minds.. Holy Explosion!"

If you ever can play it via emulator it’s definitely worth it for your next play through. PSX emulation isn’t difficult on modern PCs.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ApplesandOranges posted:

Vanille actually has offensive debuffs (Imperil, etc.). Fang is the defensive SAB (Slowga, etc.).

I meant that she gets Deprotect and Deshell, so it makes you do more damage, while Sazh also makes you do more damage. It's way more fun then buffing your parties defenses.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

An FFXIII remake or remaster that just fixes the end game money grind please. Please. All you gotta do is change the turtle value for platinum drops to 100%

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They've finally done it. They've made the perfect Final Fantasy game.

https://twitter.com/Chocobo_GP/status/1474696425246126081

And all it took was the return of Adelbert Steiner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That’s super funny, they definitely captured the slapstick aspect of FFIX