Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cross-Section posted:

reaching the point of the playthrough where you realize Morrowind has like no money sinks except enchanting and various mods

ah, well. *continues picking up every scroll and hackle-lo leaf in range*

With Harder Barter and no monster merchants I struggle to earn too much money; I have Mercantile as a minor skill, it's in the 40s, and anything less than an ebony or deadric weapon won't max out a merchant, and even then I'm left selling things to, say, the smith in Vivec Foreign Quarter who has 2500 gold.

I'm currently level 20, I'm battering down the doors over the red mountain citadels, and I have 5k in gold and probably another 10k or 20k in items stored at my stronghold because selling them is a non trivial burden. It still feels like an end game level of loot but it would drain quickly if I started training.

For non training expenses, 2 High Quality healing potions cost me 100 gold after bartering down some, and the useful scrolls I buy and cast liberally set me back a grand per batch. I'm really happy with the balance from Harder Barter, enchanted item cost rebalance, and not using creeper or mudcrab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Obviously the merchants should get richer as the neverarine accelerates the velocity of the money supply of the island. :viggo:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The sixth house works with House Hlaluu to siphon this money off into dark projects.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

With Harder Barter and no monster merchants I struggle to earn too much money; I have Mercantile as a minor skill, it's in the 40s, and anything less than an ebony or deadric weapon won't max out a merchant, and even then I'm left selling things to, say, the smith in Vivec Foreign Quarter who has 2500 gold.

Yeah, I made the mistake(?) of rolling a fancy-talkin' Wood Elf thief this time around so my Personality and Speechcraft/Mercantile are all up in the stratosphere by this point (partially thanks to MULE). No Harder Barter but Anti-Cheese does nerf the creature merchants to a significant degree. Regardless, I can pretty much set any gold amount sold and merchants will be down for it. :dance:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Is there a body mod that matches with makoms heads? I love how bitchy everyone looks but I hate that the skin tone is wildly off between the head and the rest of the characters.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

lmao

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Finally ran up against that classic ender of Morrowind playthroughs, the *checks notes* Tribunal expansion

Even with the sweet rebalance mod, it's all just sewers and hallways and an okay main storyline nestled within a bunch of side quests that feel like they came out of a mod writing-wise

The only good things it gives us are 1) Almalexia/Sotha Sil 2) The Museum of Artifacts 3) The "Castle Xyr" play quest 4) Gaenor actually no Gaenor is bullshit, gently caress that guy

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 23, 2021

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

The only good things it gives us are 1) Almalexia/Sotha Sil 2) The Museum of Artifacts 3) The "Castle Xyr" play quest 4) Gaenor actually no Gaenor is bullshit, gently caress that guy

5) the sick dark brotherhood armor, aka the best light armor and the best source of money

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cross-Section posted:

Finally ran up against that classic ender of Morrowind playthroughs, the *checks notes* Tribunal expansion

Even with the sweet rebalance mod, it's all just sewers and hallways and an okay main storyline nestled within a bunch of side quests that feel like they came out of a mod writing-wise

I just played tribunal for the first time, and was thinking the exact same thing.

"What if our whole expansion was a sewer level?" Is much better foreshadowing of oblivion than the guy who's like "there's going to be oblivion gates everywhere"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ikanreed posted:

I just played tribunal for the first time, and was thinking the exact same thing.

"What if our whole expansion was a sewer level?" Is much better foreshadowing of oblivion than the guy who's like "there's going to be oblivion gates everywhere"

I'm in the middle of my first oblivion playthrough and basically I'm pretty tempted to just noclip through oblivion gates if I'm ever forced to do them.
Really struggling to think of a good tes sewer level.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm in the middle of my first oblivion playthrough and basically I'm pretty tempted to just noclip through oblivion gates if I'm ever forced to do them.

I think the Vivec waistworks/underworks are pretty cool.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I think the Vivec waistworks/underworks are pretty cool.

Oh yeah there's all sorts of cool poo poo down there (daedric shrines, random corprus monsters, main quest NPCs) if you look hard enough

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I love Tribunal and exploring those big rear end dungeons. I also remember when Tribunal was yet to be released and Bethesda was hyping how the expansion would be a return to having huge twisting dungeons as though it were a feature that folks wanted.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

every dungeon is a sewer once you piss and poo poo in it

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lawman 0 posted:

I forget, don't the gates stop appearing after finishing the main quest?

On my original several-hundred hour Oblivion save back in college, I remember just beelining to get the mainquest done over a weekend just so I wouldn't have to deal with stupid oblivion gate poo poo anymore.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cross-Section posted:

Oh yeah there's all sorts of cool poo poo down there (daedric shrines, random corprus monsters, main quest NPCs) if you look hard enough

But at the same time, they're also just sewers that function as sewers, not dungeons. This game is so good in ways you sound insane if you say out loud.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ikanreed posted:

But at the same time, they're also just sewers that function as sewers, not dungeons. This game is so good in ways you sound insane if you say out loud.

Really we should be in awe it was even made at all.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Drone posted:

I forget, don't the gates stop appearing after finishing the main quest?

On my original several-hundred hour Oblivion save back in college, I remember just beelining to get the mainquest done over a weekend just so I wouldn't have to deal with stupid oblivion gate poo poo anymore.

They really should make a game based on the Oblivion Crisis you can read about in Skyrim.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Weavered posted:

They really should make a game based on the Oblivion Crisis you can read about in Skyrim.

Yea crawling through the cyrodiilic jungles would be sick

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

mbt posted:

Yea crawling through the cyrodiilic jungles would be sick

Tes VI: a ham fisted climate change analogy
Edit: Oh god that's totally gonna be in the next one.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm a bit concerned about what you're saying here, it suggests that despite experiencing Oblivion for the first time in 2021, you for some reason haven't ruled out a second playthrough at some point

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
You guys are so hopeful it's cute. It will be Hammerfell as seen in Disney's Aladdin.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
It's just gonna be Skyrim.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cross-Section posted:

Yeah I did Tribunal a few months ago and it really stinks. The writing kinda sucks, the dungeons are long and boring. I hate it. Such a let down after base Morrowind which rules.

Lawman 0 posted:

If you have an invisibility spell you can just cast that and run all the way to the top and grab the orb. If you don't you can also just run past everything to the top and do the same thing. You'll have a bunch of enemies chasing you but combat in Oblivion is so spongey that you'll be fine and nothing will kill you before you reach the top.

Also they're generally optional

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I understood Tribunal a lot better when someone made a comparison to Dragonborn. Dragonborn is a DLC all about "Hey guys! Remember Morrowind, and Morrowind-like things, and all the characters* you knew and loved in Morrowind?" Tribunal is that, but for Daggerfall fans. The friend who introduced me to Morrowind started with Daggerfall, and loved Tribunal. There just ... aren't very many people like that. Daggerfall was, I think, a huge success in a much smaller market, so most Morrowind players had never played it (just as most Skyrim players never played Morrowind).

*No one ever loved Neloth.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I just beat daggerfall (unity) and I actually had a ball with it and now that you bring up that comparison I can see where you are going with it. The problem is that Daggerfall is really the only game with time pressure and tribunal has basically the opposite pressure because you want to sell that sweet sweet DB armor for as long as you can. :unsmigghh:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vavrek posted:

I understood Tribunal a lot better when someone made a comparison to Dragonborn. Dragonborn is a DLC all about "Hey guys! Remember Morrowind, and Morrowind-like things, and all the characters* you knew and loved in Morrowind?" Tribunal is that, but for Daggerfall fans. The friend who introduced me to Morrowind started with Daggerfall, and loved Tribunal. There just ... aren't very many people like that. Daggerfall was, I think, a huge success in a much smaller market, so most Morrowind players had never played it (just as most Skyrim players never played Morrowind).

Huh, I can see it though I never would have thought of it. Wow they missed the mark on that one by a loving mile lol

Honestly both the expansions are really weird, I like them both for their own reasons but Tribunal's issues are... obvious and Bloodmoon barely feels like Morrowind at all wrt tone, writing, lore etc

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 24, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chaosapiant posted:

I love Tribunal and exploring those big rear end dungeons. I also remember when Tribunal was yet to be released and Bethesda was hyping how the expansion would be a return to having huge twisting dungeons as though it were a feature that folks wanted.

Morrowind was a sequel to Daggerfall, which was largely huge twisting dungeons.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the bipolar blade from tribunal is a pretty lol weapon with some pretty lol lore. also: looks cool as hell

it does Frenzy Humanoid and Calm Humanoid on touch, which sounds useless, but is actually worse than useless. It means whoever you attack is calmed, which means even if they hit you first, it's assault, so you can't defend yourself from humanoids with it

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 24, 2021

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Morrowind was a sequel to Daggerfall, which was largely huge twisting dungeons.

Daggerfalls twisty dungeons should be experienced a couple of times and then you switch that poo poo off and get to see cooler dungeons instead.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
It's really not *that* bad with smaller dungeons enabled.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lawman 0 posted:

Daggerfalls twisty dungeons should be experienced a couple of times and then you switch that poo poo off and get to see cooler dungeons instead.

Yeah, let this serve as an update to my previous "I'm replaying Daggerfall!" post that after my dozenth DF dungeon I am now happily using tele2qmarker whenever I get too bored to continue because life should be worth living

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Today I beat Morrowind.

It was only my third complete playthrough, even though I return to the game at least once a year and it's my third played title on Steam, behind only Team Fortress 2 and Skyrim (and it roughly matches the later in playtime).

The first playthrough was on xbox, and the second was on an unmodded PC playthrough 10+ years ago. This was my first complete playthrough with mods, and while I kept the list light there are a number of mods that had an impact on the game play:

My character was Henriette, a Breton "Hospitalière", something I pretended existed in Elder Scrolls, a kind of cleric in service of the nine divine. I envisioned them as being expressly ignoble in their origins and mannerisms, the children of poor families or orphans who were possessed of magical potential and subjected to martial training. I decided to divide my skills between combat and non-combat, and prioritize the later as major skills, I also specialized in Magic and took The Lady as my sign. In my playthrough I never turned down a common person who needed help, avoided fighting when I felt I could, but also never hesitated to stand up to unambiguous evil like Deadra, Vampires, or Corpus Beasts. Still, I wasn't trained in Stealth or Illusion so this mostly just a flavoring for my character's primary verbs, which were "swing mace" and "heal self" and, for boss battles "shield self".

I imagined Henriette landed in an Imperial prison from her strong sense of populism and stubbornness in the face of injustice. In Morrowind, she'd continue her work, becoming a lay servant and dedicating herself to the nine divine, but would also complete the seven pilgrimages as a sign of respect and deference to the native customs. As a matter of practically, she quickly became an associate of the Mages and Fighters guild, but never advanced far in either or felt particularly aligned with them. Once she better understood Vvardenfell, she joined House Redoran and served faithfully until she was deemed worthy of a stronghold, but never had any intention of becoming the leader of the House and remained a respected but mid-level house member.

I also imagined that she was from the hinterlands of High Rock and could barely read or speak anything but her own Provencal tongue; which meant I was going to play the whole game in French, in which I'm not fluent, so her confusion could match my own.

Some interesting anecdotes or observations from the playthrough
  • Short Blade and Blunt Weapon helped me RP as someone eschewing the symbols of knightly prestige; I favored unpretentious short swords and simple maces. This also, of course, set me up to make full use of the end-game weapons Sunder and Keening.
  • Likewise, Medium Armor gave me a nice "arc" in my equipment - I started with the western armor I was familiar with, a mix of chainmail and leather, but after some time in Vvardenfell, when I was around level 5, I'd seen the value of the native equipment and adopted a suit of bonemold, as strong as steel plate but lighter, which I wore through out the majority of my playthrough, only swapping them out as I encountered end-game equipment in dungeons.
  • More Deadly Morrowind Denizens and Beware the Sixth House did exactly what I needed it to. The smugger boss in the first Dwemer ruin, Creto, gave me more trouble than any Elder Scrolls boss outside of a Skyrim: Requiem install. To beat him I had to bring scrolls and potions and make liberal use of both, setting a precedent that would continue through to the end of the game.
  • Big shout out to whoever game me four scrolls of summon Golden Saint (I think a Telvanni councilor when they declared me Hortator?), I used each of them to get me through some of my hardest fights, including the fight to take Sunder from one of Dagoth Ur's lieutenants. Considering both how long he kept her paralyzed and the way he knocked her down with one mighty blow, I don't know that I could have beaten him otherwise.
  • Speaking of becoming Hortator, that was the high-water mark for "The Nerevarine is a stupid tourist that doesn't speak the language". I spent a lot of time with my nose buried in either my journal or one of the councilor books, trying to figure out who I needed to talk to and where they lived. I like to think my character asserted her destiny with nothing but some unconjugated sentence fragments and mono-syllabic utterances.
  • This was the first time I spent several thousand gold and a grand soul gem on a truly nice enchanted, item, my "bouclier de foi", an Indoril shield enchanted to heal me a solid 25 HP and possessed of tremendous magical reserves. That much healing, available so readily, took a lot of burden off of mana and potion reserves.
  • By the time I was around level 15 I had an Ebony "demon mace" and most of the armor you see me wearing at the end-game, and I could pretty much face tank anything and anyone as long I made sure not to run out of high quality healing potions. Which is good, because Henriette's poor grasp of the native language meant she cluelessly stumbled into to-the-death combats against Orvas Dren, Gothren, and Bolvyn Venim.
  • Sadly, I didn't quite complete the Imperial Cult quest line; I was over-ready to finish the game. It's a shame, because this playthrough really feels like it's put that quest line to rest, I couldn't imagine playing another character so strongly aligned with the church.
  • I'm sick of cliff racers.
  • Morrowind has made me very familiar with the French words of needing, asking, knowing, becoming, getting, giving, and killing. I didn't know what many of them where at first, and killing isn't a cognate to English so that lead to a lot of surprising quests when "X needs me to [FRENCH VERB] Y" could have meant anything.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 24, 2021

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Congrats!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Vavrek posted:

And I guess just like Dragonborn doesn't capture all the stuff that makes Morrowind cool, Tribunal also forgets all the neat ideas in Daggerfall in favor of just "hey look big annoying dungeon!"

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I also imagined that she was from the hinterlands of High Rock and could barely read or speak anything but her own Provencal tongue; which meant I was going to play the whole game in French, in which I'm not fluent, so her confusion could match my own.

This is a really cool way to approach the game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im playing an orc who uses blunt weapons because i like Skull Crusher

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I'm roleplaying as someone who spends an unrealistic amount of time jumping up stairs wearing a hundred pounds of poo poo

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ikanreed posted:

I'm roleplaying as someone who spends an unrealistic amount of time jumping up stairs wearing a hundred pounds of poo poo

It's fun to roleplay as yourself sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

im playing an orc who uses blunt weapons because i like Skull Crusher

This is not something you need to justify. Ever.