Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

wynott dunn posted:

I’m going to maintain my current level of drinking until 2050 when I plan to rapidly and suddenly move to net-zero drinking right after new year’s eve*

*ive accumulated a lot of drinking credits from times when I could have been drinking but did not so I expect to be able to maintain my current level of drinking for some time after 2050

a classic

https://mronline.org/2021/11/09/man-announces-he-will-quit-drinking-by-2050/

quote:

Man announces he will quit drinking by 2050
Nov 09, 2021

A Sydney man has set an ambitious target to phase out his alcohol consumption within the next 29 years, as part of an impressive plan to improve his health.

The program will see Greg Taylor, 73, continue to drink as normal for the foreseeable future, before reducing consumption in 2049 when he turns 101. He has assured friends it will not affect his drinking plans in the short or medium term.

Taylor said it was important not to rush the switch to non-alcoholic beverages. “It’s not realistic to transition to zero alcohol overnight. This requires a steady, phased approach where nothing changes for at least two decades,” he said, adding that he may need to make additional investments in beer consumption in the short term, to make sure no night out is worse off.

Taylor will also be able to bring forward drinking credits earned from the days he hasn’t drunk over the past forty years, meaning the actual end date for consumption may actually be 2060.

To assist with the transition, Taylor has bought a second beer fridge which he describes as the ‘capture and storage’ method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

munce
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

how do they get the measurements for those maps at such a granular level? is it read from the ground, or from elsewhere? Because you even have a lot of detail for very sparsely populated areas.

it's satellite data

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I’m late to the party but I hate seeing the idea that we haven’t made any progress because that simply isn’t true, a ton of positive things have happened over the last decade. More importantly trends have remarkably changed with emissions, renewables becoming affordable and cost competitive.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Global emissions are still rising, but it's very obvious the peak is just around the corner. Maybe a few more years. And at that point, we're still emitting a ton of CO2, but it's building towards a future where we will colonize our solar system because it is our birthright. Technology is magic and can do anything we set our minds to.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It seems pretty clear to me that at some point in the next decade we're going to take drastic measures to alter the planet's climate but without actually addressing any of the problems that led us to need to take these measures.

Looking forward to atmospheric dimming bringing back winters or some poo poo while we continue to burn as much carbon as humanly possible.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Minera posted:

i wonder how much energy it takes to keep that shack heated in the winter
less every year :v:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Just watched Don't Look Up. Sirota is seriously crack pinged, holy poo poo, lol. Love that man.

oh poo poo it's out? I've got time to kill with nothing much to do tonight

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I was mixing some music recently and spent a lot of time working on the 10khz+ range. I ended up with something that reminded me a lot of the symphonies of jar flies and other insects that I used to hear all the time as a kid - the soft, zippery buzzing of thousands of tiny filter sweeps tuned to their own little shapes and resonances. It made me realize I don't hear them any more, but it's not because of my age-related hearing loss, because I can still hear it if I synthesize it. I wonder if it's just because of where I live now, or if they are also disappearing like the bugs on windshields.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
We used to hear frogs at night during the summer months all the time and they just never came back one year and it's been quiet ever since.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Lol Don't Look Up is amazing.

Just loving spot on

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I was mixing some music recently and spent a lot of time working on the 10khz+ range. I ended up with something that reminded me a lot of the symphonies of jar flies and other insects that I used to hear all the time as a kid - the soft, zippery buzzing of thousands of tiny filter sweeps tuned to their own little shapes and resonances. It made me realize I don't hear them any more, but it's not because of my age-related hearing loss, because I can still hear it if I synthesize it. I wonder if it's just because of where I live now, or if they are also disappearing like the bugs on windshields.

I've definitely noticed there's just far fewer bugs around, even over the last ten years. We're hosed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

nah they're getting obliterated. a lot of studys have shown various small insects have been wiped out over 80% all across the globe. massive industrial and agricultural run offs, topsoil that's been sterilized for farming, wide clear cutting of forests, tract-housing development over previously unfucked land, and yeah just increasing extreme climates gently caress with them; heat waves that bake top soil and kill off eggs and larvae, early cold snaps that do the same, rain is even borderline toxic now, and prob throw in some nano/microplastics for good measure. and it's a whole ecosystem pyramid collapsing from the bottom up. so bugs that used to eat very tiny things are dying, bugs that eat them are then dying, etc.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/25/the-insect-apocalypse-our-world-will-grind-to-a-halt-without-them

quote:

But I am haunted by the knowledge that these creatures are in decline. It is 50 years since I first collected those caterpillars in the school playground, and every year that has passed there have been slightly fewer butterflies, fewer bumblebees – fewer of almost all the myriad little beasts that make the world go round. These fascinating and beautiful creatures are disappearing, ant by ant, bee by bee, day by day. Estimates vary and are imprecise, but it seems likely that insects have declined in abundance by 75% or more since I was five years old. The scientific evidence for this grows stronger every year, as studies are published describing the collapse of monarch butterfly populations in North America, the demise of woodland and grassland insects in Germany, or the seemingly inexorable contraction of the ranges of bumblebees and hoverflies in the UK.

In 1963, two years before I was born, Rachel Carson warned us in her book Silent Spring that we were doing terrible damage to our planet. She would weep to see how much worse it has become. Insect-rich wildlife habitats, such as hay meadows, marshes, heathland and tropical rainforests, have been bulldozed, burned or ploughed to destruction on a vast scale. The problems with pesticides and fertilisers, she highlighted, have become far more acute, with an estimated 3m tonnes of pesticides now going into the global environment every year. Some of these new pesticides are thousands of times more toxic to insects than any that existed in Carson’s day. Soils have been degraded, rivers choked with silt and polluted with chemicals. Climate change, a phenomenon unrecognised in her time, is now threatening to further ravage our planet. These changes have all happened in our lifetime, on our watch, and they continue to accelerate.

Few people seem to realise how devastating this is, not only for human wellbeing – we need insects to pollinate our crops, recycle dung, leaves and corpses, keep the soil healthy, control pests, and much more – but for larger animals, such as birds, fish and frogs, which rely on insects for food. Wildflowers rely on them for pollination. As insects become more scarce, our world will slowly grind to a halt, for it cannot function without them.
Sorry, kids. We hosed it, hard

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fame Douglas posted:

Global emissions are still rising, but it's very obvious the peak is just around the corner. Maybe a few more years. And at that point, we're still emitting a ton of CO2, but it's building towards a future where we will colonize our solar system because it is our birthright. Technology is magic and can do anything we set our minds to.

jeff bezus gonna put the factories in space he said so after using as much carbon as the poorest 1 billion people on earth use all year to go just below space for 2 mins

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
watching home alone with the gf and saw that Chicago was a frozen winter wonderland of snow and ice at Christmas time. looked up the current temp and it was 56 degrees.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LibCrusher posted:

watching home alone with the gf and saw that Chicago was a frozen winter wonderland of snow and ice at Christmas time. looked up the current temp and it was 56 degrees.

its hollywood tho.

chicago temperatures can be warm into winter and cold into summer cause the lake temp lags the air temp in changing.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

its hollywood tho.

chicago temperatures can be warm into winter and cold into summer cause the lake temp lags the air temp in changing.

record breaking snow-free streak

https://news.wttw.com/2021/12/20/no-white-christmas-chicago-continues-record-breaking-snow-free-streak

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Slavvy posted:

I’m late to the party but I hate seeing the idea that we haven’t made any progress because that simply isn’t true, a ton of positive things have happened over the last decade. More importantly trends have remarkably changed with emissions, renewables becoming affordable and cost competitive.

lol

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Xaris posted:

nah they're getting obliterated. a lot of studys have shown various small insects have been wiped out over 80% all across the globe. massive industrial and agricultural run offs, topsoil that's been sterilized for farming, wide clear cutting of forests, tract-housing development over previously unfucked land, and yeah just increasing extreme climates gently caress with them; heat waves that bake top soil and kill off eggs and larvae, early cold snaps that do the same, rain is even borderline toxic now, and prob throw in some nano/microplastics for good measure. and it's a whole ecosystem pyramid collapsing from the bottom up. so bugs that used to eat very tiny things are dying, bugs that eat them are then dying, etc.

that’s a big ecological uh oh

Ruggan has issued a correction as of 04:57 on Dec 25, 2021

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
There's like 5cm on the ground in Vancouver BC tonight, another 20cm forecast over the next few days, and it's going to hit -30c in the mountains by Sunday.

Merry Goonmas, indeed.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
the forbidden ecological whoopsie doodle

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I suppose two individuals is a fair catch in these severely oxygen depleted acidic waters.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I feel like this could be cross posted to the covid thread.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovi1SKwfyxU

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.thenation.com/article/culture/dan-sherrell-warmth-qa/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well if you sterilize the ground, repeatedly year after year, decade after decade. What do you think will happen to all of the poison, they just disappear from the face of the earth like PFAS? :v:

And all the plastic. And all the other chemicals. It is a wonder at least some bugs are still alive. Some study found 27 different pesticides from a bee, which had been visiting only flowers in the nature. The poison and plastics are everywhere, and bugs aren't safe from them anywhere. So they die off, just like humans intended.

Why else would humans want to sterilize everything, if not to kill everything living? It's bad for profits to not do so. Humans have spent considerable effort during their whole existence figuring out new, more efficient, more complete ways to kill and destroy everything, and we can't stop. We're all the time researching new, more efficient, more total ways to kill and destroy everything. Not all the tools we have developed have been used in mass scale (nukes), but so many have been...

-------------

This site is a very good joke too: https://www.epa.gov/pfas/pfas-explained

What EPA Has Learned So Far
PFAS are widely used, long lasting chemicals, components of which break down very slowly over time.
Because of their widespread use and their persistence in the environment, many PFAS are found in the blood of people and animals all over the world and are present at low levels in a variety of food products and in the environment.
PFAS are found in water, air, fish, and soil at locations across the nation and the globe.
Scientific studies have shown that exposure to some PFAS in the environment may be linked to harmful health effects in humans and animals.
There are thousands of PFAS chemicals, and they are found in many different consumer, commercial, and industrial products. This makes it challenging to study and assess the potential human health and environmental risks.
Learn more about our current understanding of PFAS.

What We Don't Fully Understand Yet
EPA's researchers and partners across the country are working hard to answer critical questions about PFAS:
How to better and more efficiently detect and measure PFAS in our air, water, soil, and fish and wildlife
How much people are exposed to PFAS
How harmful PFAS are to people and the environment
How to remove PFAS from drinking water
How to manage and dispose of PFAS

So uh we make tons of this that poo poo in thousands of different varieties and use it everywhere, but we really don't know how much of it is around and what it does :rubby:

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Dec 25, 2021

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
We were just playing Jackbox and someone came up with this

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Ihmemies posted:

So uh we make tons of this that poo poo in thousands of different varieties and use it everywhere, but we really don't know how much of it is around and what it does :rubby:

well, y'see, the feed and water the lab rats get probably include those thousands of varieties of pfas too so even starting out on figuring out what's doing what is an exercise in frustration

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

Xaris posted:

hell yeah

idk how anyone can go around with doom mindset. everything is far too interesting to be going about your life in doom, and we're so lucky. it's a treasure trove of scientific curiosity and marvel with global genetic history being rewritten in real time; the inner workings of the planet being unraveled and exposed for study. think of how few sapient life there is, and then think of how even fewer sapient life, across the universe and whatever other alternate universes, will ever experience complete self-made biosphere collapse going from nearly 0-to-100 within their very lifespan. like it's like winning a super megamillions lotto thousands of times consecutively.

and if you just want to live a life sized appropriately for your dumb rear end meat suit

steamrolling literally everything with a wave of interconnected consequences too complex to fully understand and too powerful to ever avert sounds like the same exact brand of cosmic horseshit that the universe has been shoveling since the arrow of time was shat out of the hyper-buttcheeks of two p-branes colliding, whats coming for us is rote at this point.

but yeah the sickos get to watch i guess. i just want to grill for gods sake.

Reverend Zero has issued a correction as of 09:17 on Dec 25, 2021

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Slavvy posted:

I suppose two individuals is a fair catch in these severely oxygen depleted acidic waters.

my lol was specifically because I saw and replied below that exact post in the other thread

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

considering our parents generation thought that nukes were a potential tool to clear land for farming i suppose the insects got off lightly

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Rime posted:

There's like 5cm on the ground in Vancouver BC tonight, another 20cm forecast over the next few days, and it's going to hit -30c in the mountains by Sunday.

Merry Goonmas, indeed.

WTF

I thought Vancouver BC weather is supposed to be...

mild

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Well, you might be sorry. But they're not

Real hurthling! posted:

jeff bezus gonna put the factories in space he said so after using as much carbon as the poorest 1 billion people on earth use all year to go just below space for 2 mins

wasn't it their lifetimes

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 10:43 on Dec 25, 2021

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

WTF

I thought Vancouver BC weather is supposed to be...

mild

you could say that things aren’t that bad, yet

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

T-Paine posted:

afaik the "renewables" are all highly dependent on fossil fuels for production, especially at the level we use them. it's human behavior that needs to change, dramatically, and it's not going to

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

Lol Don't Look Up is amazing.

Just loving spot on

i'm watching it now and it might have to go in the required viewing category alongside First Reformed and Idiocracy

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A ton of positive things vis a vis my alcoholism have happened in the past decade, I now drink from a mug instead of a glass and soft drinks have become more affordable and cost competitive. For example I now buy one Fanta a month and drink it after my beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Santa surveys the horror from his vast and terrible throne