Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

gwarm01 posted:

My company once hired a 3rd party firm to create some corporate fluff training for everyone. It was never mentioned in any formal communications, then one day everyone gets an extremely poorly written email with a link to an external domain for some training no one had ever heard about.

The security people had the audacity to scold us for reporting this instead of being happy there was so much compliance in what looked like an obvious phishing scam.

We got one of those relatively recently. It was for security training, including a section on phishing. The email telling us that we needed to do this training exhibited all the signs of phishing. The last line of the email was, effectively: "Want to verify that external link is safe? This training is hosted on <vendor>. Please just the link above and your corporate account to authenticate"

After I verified on the actual corp training site that this was in fact real, and as my spirit left my now lifeless body, I filed a report with the actual corp training teams about how this very much itself looked like a phishing email. Their response was "Thanks for the feedback! We love when you file feedback! We just added that last message so that people would know it was safe, but it seems we still have to work on our messaging"

:ssj:

Asking a security friend of mine about it, apparently the actual answer was "this is the best company we can find to do this at this price" and then the earnings report came out showing that we were just vomiting buckets of cash in profit at all times I died a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
Our attrition is so bad, work is throwing the kitchen sink at us to get us to show up and not quit.

$1300 bonus if you don't call off from Dec 19th to Jan 15th.
$400 bonus for every 8 hours of overtime you work from Dec 12th to Jan 3rd.
Also, from Dec 12th to Jan 3rd a time-off award equal to half of the overtime you worked.
An ongoing 20% raise, as a "retention incentive".
$2000 hiring bonus: $1000 when you start (with clawback), and the other $1000 after a year.
24 hours (3 days) of Admin Leave, that we have to use by the end of 2022.

(Of course, if they had paid us a better starting wage, they wouldn't have this attrition problem to start with.)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Burn down London to help end Covid.

If i knew it would I'd sign up. gently caress this city.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

no go on Quiznos posted:

Our attrition is so bad, work is throwing the kitchen sink at us to get us to show up and not quit.

$1300 bonus if you don't call off from Dec 19th to Jan 15th.
$400 bonus for every 8 hours of overtime you work from Dec 12th to Jan 3rd.
Also, from Dec 12th to Jan 3rd a time-off award equal to half of the overtime you worked.
An ongoing 20% raise, as a "retention incentive".
$2000 hiring bonus: $1000 when you start (with clawback), and the other $1000 after a year.
24 hours (3 days) of Admin Leave, that we have to use by the end of 2022.

(Of course, if they had paid us a better starting wage, they wouldn't have this attrition problem to start with.)

LOL. Add all that up and Calc out your new effective compensation package. Also make sure they write all that into your contract.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's the smallest things that are the most annoying.

We started to use ipads a while ago for a bunch of stuff and they have a bunch of annoying issues. The worst ones stems from whenever software updates come from Apple.

We're not allowed to accept it until IT makes sure all our poo poo is going to continue working. That's not the bad part on its own because it does make sense. The problem is that the update notification randomly pops up a dozen times a day when you're trying to do poo poo and it steals focus from your tasks and stops you from doing anything until you tell it to gently caress off.

And, of course, it takes forever for IT to give us the go-ahead to update. We're currently on week five of "Software Update!"

Every time we've complained and asked them to turn off the notifications we've been told that it has to be this way.

I think the real Dumb poo poo your work does is using iPads at all without having enterprise management tools already in place to solve this, assuming there is such a thing for iPads. If not then the real problem is using woefully improper tools for an enterprise use case.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I need to post this here because lol

My wife is a charter school teacher for kids with special needs and their Christmas thank you from the owners was 5 domestic beers of various sizes leftover from parents night and 5 covid tests that the county gave the school for each teacher.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BitBasher posted:

I think the real Dumb poo poo your work does is using iPads at all without having enterprise management tools already in place to solve this, assuming there is such a thing for iPads. If not then the real problem is using woefully improper tools for an enterprise use case.

There are at least 2 flavors of common and easily available mobile device management that work on ipads that would completely solve the issue.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

I need to post this here because lol

My wife is a charter school teacher for kids with special needs and their Christmas thank you from the owners was 5 domestic beers of various sizes leftover from parents night and 5 covid tests that the county gave the school for each teacher.

This is criminal.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BitBasher posted:

We did have proper management tools and great equipment.

Then they took them all away and gave us iPads.

:eng99:

EDIT:

Motronic posted:

There are at least 2 flavors of common and easily available mobile device management that work on ipads that would completely solve the issue.

Of loving course. Now the question is whether IT is just lazy, lovely or underfunded.

Answer: It's all three

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 25, 2021

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Motronic posted:

I kind of assumed there ought to be by now.

I work in IT and long ago before such tools were available and iPads were fairly new we had people high up in the food chain tried super hard to get us to allow them on our secure network. We fought tooth and nail not to for security reasons and it was one of the fights we actually won, but the people that wanted it stayed pissed for a good long while over it.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We did have proper management tools and great equipment.

Then they took them all away and gave us iPads.

:eng99:
In the long run, loving up network security will often end up being the true gift that keeps on giving. I swear people don't understand that not using the right tools can cost IT and the company a fuckton of dollars in the long run.

EDIT: Here's an example of this that's happening now:

We use what is fundamentally a mobile data entry system across a lot of clients, a couple thousand if I recall. No one sane seemed to negotiate the contract so when an issue occurs or a major product update happens we used to have to touch all the involved devices which is bad enough. The last major update changed how authentication worked, in the name of better security. A log in error can be caused either by domain credentials, OTP VPN, or the program itself. There are no verbose error messages, and no one but IT can reset any of those, and it has to be via phone call which can happen 24/7. None of the error messages are verbose so the IT guy has to reset all 3 passwords when the user has a problem, which is not fast or especially user friendly. Cannot reuse last 10 passwords, must be complex. Now a percentage of those users then forget the new passwords on login and we do the dance again.

It used to be 9-12 phone calls a week when we were on call. After that patch it was 30-70 calls a week. All of them were payable at least, but 15-50 hours a week spread all over those 7 days on top of your normal work schedule is especially problematic when you are trying to be a functional human. It also exploded the overtime budget so that all the budgeted OT is sucked up by the service desk. preventative maintenance during slow hours for servers or datacomm networking? Nah. Shift adjust or beg. We have lost a few employees, and my employer has generally very low turnover.

All because someone is poo poo at negotiating a competent contract with a vendor and/or vendor management.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 25, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BitBasher posted:

I kind of assumed there ought to be by now.

Apple went all the way with a few MDM vendors. To the point that there is no chance of factory resetting to get rid of it, and even on like older mac minis/laptops where you can completely swap the storage out it's still under MDM in the BIOS/whatever the cool kids call it now.

Reminder: never let your company install MDM certs and poo poo on your personal device. They can and will take it over. If they require you to have a smart phone for your employment they should be paying for it. And it should not be the phone you use for anything other than work.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My company's IT department migrated our operations to a new server and some joker sent out a test "send all" invite to an MS Teams meeting to the whole company. We're international.

I had to turn my phone and laptop off for the rest of the day.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Motronic posted:

Reminder: never let your company install MDM certs and poo poo on your personal device. They can and will take it over. If they require you to have a smart phone for your employment they should be paying for it. And it should not be the phone you use for anything other than work.

This is the biggest reason I give when I get a separate company phone from my personal one. People look at me like I'm nuts but screw doing all the transfer in/out garbage & worrying about having any leftover crap on the phone after it's been put back in my name. I'd rather just hand a phone back in & let the company deal with it.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Takes No Damage posted:

My company just sent out a phishing email pretending to be a holiday eCard :rolleyes:

It says you've received an ecard from <CEO's first name, last initial> and tries to get you to click a link to 123-greeting-cards.com. If you mouse over any of the links they're all stuff like 'do.not.click.on.this.link.whatever.net/gianttrackinghash' but still, leave people alone for the loving holidays :argh:

my workplace does mandatory web training on "safe email practices" and one of them is to hover over links before clicking to ensure the destination url is legit

they ALSO use an email security service that scrubs urls and replaces them with a "safe" link, so all links in emails look like they're from the same domain (mimecast) :thumbsup:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

Apple went all the way with a few MDM vendors. To the point that there is no chance of factory resetting to get rid of it, and even on like older mac minis/laptops where you can completely swap the storage out it's still under MDM in the BIOS/whatever the cool kids call it now.

I’m completely against companies getting to see personal information or having any administrative control over my devices, but this is far enough from accuracy that it might make people think things which are generally harmless are not so. Everyone can still choose if a separate device works better for them, but it’s not as scary (at least on Apple devices) as it was a few years ago.

Automated enrollment (which I’m pretty sure is what you mean by still being managed when you swap the storage) is based on the serial number of the device, and requires actual ownership. As in, the company either has to buy the device from a reseller and have a chain of ownership ending directly at the business entity, or (for mobile devices, not computers) they have to receive the device directly out-of-box and “supervise” it while it’s effectively blank.

If you have an iOS device, “user enrollment” is safe. It makes a separate partition on the device and puts work stuff there, and the company can’t see or manipulate anything outside of that. If they assign a second line also, then it’s basically two phones running on shared hardware.

You can see which kind of management a device has by looking at the settings app; if you see a message at the top about the device being supervised, then the company has “ownership” and can do basically whatever (except turn on the camera and mic without your approval, or track your location without notifying you).

This is what I do for a living, and while a decade ago it was an uphill battle convincing clients/business owners/lovely management that they shouldn’t demand full control over their employees’ property, now they (largely) don’t have the ability to do so even if they want to.

Yes, I know, :goonsay:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sonic Dude posted:

Yes, I know, :goonsay:

It's absolutely worth mentioning, though. Android has the idea of a Work Profile, which you can just... turn off.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/bd_highsmith/status/1475306292260622343

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Some more dumb poo poo from my son's employer. Their automatic timekeeping system is down so employees are getting paid for their base shifts and now have to file for the extra hours worked during the 12 hour shifts for Christmas shutdown/maintenance.
Those hours won't be paid until two weeks after they'd normally show up.

I told him to submit tips to the federal Dept of Labor and Oregon DOL. Does anyone have any experience with this?

On top of all that, the employer isn't officially announcing it so people who don't know will be waiting even longer. What the gently caress.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

Some more dumb poo poo from my son's employer. Their automatic timekeeping system is down so employees are getting paid for their base shifts and now have to file for the extra hours worked during the 12 hour shifts for Christmas shutdown/maintenance.

I told him to submit tips to the federal Dept of Labor and Oregon DOL. Does anyone have any experience with this?

On top of all that, the employer isn't officially announcing it so people who don't know will be waiting even longer. What the gently caress.

This happened to my friend in OK, they are getting boned on holiday pay, and there's thirty different emails circulating on how to document and put in for your time and they're all slightly different processes!

also lol no they didn't get their pay correct

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/14/1064247651/kronos-hack-paychecks

Probably related to that.

The internet was a mistake

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My work disabled the ability to toggle the Outlook from defaulting to searching in the folder you are currently clicked into, instead making it search all folders. I can see the option, but it has, selectively, been disabled from being interacted with while all the other options in the menu are still active. I asked if I could have them remote in and change this, but was told it was a security risk.

I reported the email that told me that as phishing.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

My work disabled the ability to toggle the Outlook from defaulting to searching in the folder you are currently clicked into, instead making it search all folders. I can see the option, but it has, selectively, been disabled from being interacted with while all the other options in the menu are still active. I asked if I could have them remote in and change this, but was told it was a security risk.

Not really my job's fault, possibly off-topic. But I returned to work after a short absence and half of my department is out with COVID. All of them unvaxxed. Like wildfire, one of them got it and within a couple days four more got it. Jesus this one works fast.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not really my job's fault, possibly off-topic. But I returned to work after a short absence and half of my department is out with COVID. All of them unvaxxed. Like wildfire, one of them got it and within a couple days four more got it. Jesus this one works fast.

My town had a few scares but mostly avoided heavy covid outbreaks. Over the last few days I've heard of lots of friends and friends of friends getting sick, gonna be a grim new years.

I've told the staff to raid the office for anything they need to work from home and not to come back until this one blows over. gently caress you Omnicron.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

TotalLossBrain posted:

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Send the tip to the local newspaper/TV station. People getting shafted from holiday pay, amid a pandemic, due to a minor software bug? That's a story.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
My work has this amazing over engineered sound system but the soundboard and faders itself are all on an iPad.

I've wondered what would happen in the middle of a show if the network crashed.

vdarknight
Jul 4, 2007

I (a very long time ago) used to work in an obscure department of the UK government.

I will tell you of two times of dumb poo poo.

First - We started to get computers! They could do things! It would be great! The typists I worked along with did not appreciate me pointing out that they were going to lose their jobs.
However, my friends and I were into computers, and unfortunately known for this. The office got a virus! It had to be us - there was no other explanation. 'cepting it turned a higher manager had bought his kid into the office on the weekend, who'd downloaded a game onto the system. Computer clap everywhere!. We were never apologised to.

Secondly - there was a policy of declaring ones ethnic background, cos highers had become aware that government is a bunch of white people, who haven't a clue - so needed to point at minorities, to say 'Look - they work here! We're not racist!'
Which is 'fine'.

So I declare my assumed identity - White? (I shall explain. Maternal Grandmother - dark skin, dark hair - possible ethnic. Paternal - no loving clue. Got my mother pregnant, and then hosed off) and I'm grey eyed, light haired - can pass as standard (in a particular category).

A short while later - I got a certificate. Yep. Stating that I was was 'White'.
Awesome. (Have you met white people?)

I may have amended a copy of my purity standards to state that I was a 'Honky' and stuck it on our noticeboard in our office. (Cos I'm funny).

Sometime later, I got called in about being racist. The evidence was I'd called myself a 'Honky'.
Yep - did that. I was derogatory towards myself. Which I wasn't that bothered about, as I'm evidently an idiot, so am excused. By myself.

Turns out there weren't any rules about someone being racist about themselves - I imagine there are now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Pining your downloaded virus on the boss's kid was a stroke of genius.

vdarknight
Jul 4, 2007

Outrail posted:

Pining your downloaded virus on the boss's kid was a stroke of genius.

Man, I was so good at computer hygiene! Which is why I was so pissed.
Like, do i look like a newb? (imagine leet speak here?..)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

vdarknight posted:

I may have amended a copy of my purity standards to state that I was a 'Honky' and stuck it on our noticeboard in our office. (Cos I'm funny).

Reminds me of that Obama birth certificate with stuff like "captivatingly Kenyan" as the race/ethnicity :lol:

hooliganesh
Aug 1, 2003

REPENT!

rotinaj posted:

The internet was a mistake

This will be my e-mail .sig for 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Barudak posted:

Microsoft needs to delete 99% of Group Policy options.
They are shiny trinkets for magpie CJs and mostly shouldn't exist.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Lol the guy who was joining my team as supervisor has decided not to join us 3 months after accepting the job (but before he had started). That'll be another 4 months til we get anyone, presumably.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Outrail posted:

LOL. Add all that up and Calc out your new effective compensation package. Also make sure they write all that into your contract.

Hahahaha. What contract?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Reminds me of that Obama birth certificate with stuff like "captivatingly Kenyan" as the race/ethnicity :lol:

muslim? AS ALL HELL

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

no go on Quiznos posted:

Hahahaha. What contract?

I meant: swipe a laptop and some stationary supplies on the way out.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

"Security risk" in this case meaning it annoyed help desk one time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://twitter.com/tiffmc1013/status/1475931245720735749
https://twitter.com/tiffmc1013/status/1475949805142568964

elmo_hell.gif

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Thanks for that post. It was immensely satisfying to read.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I don’t understand how it’s legal to have pto benefits that
a: need approval for use
And
b: are lost when not used

Because at that point they are literally stealing your compensation when they just deny your pto requests.

It’s something that scares me about my current place of business. So far my boss has never given me an issue but I do know a couple of people who regularly lose a couple days worth because they hate their family/are over invested in the company and simply don’t use their vacation.

In the past we could cash it out, but when covid hit they removed that ability and lowered the number you could rollover to next year (it was a p big cut). Of course our branch has been doing great so there’s no reason to “tighten the belt” but there’s always “other” branches management points to for as to why they can’t give us the stuff they “had” to take away because “covid is a tough year financially”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I can understand the need for approval, you can’t just have an entire team/department go on leave at the same time.

But, it’s loving theft to not allow rollover or payout on PTO