Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Troubleshooter is sending up Trojan alerts for windows defender on my machine

apparently it's a false positive caused by a sloppy package designation but i'm going to back-burner it until the devs fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Ragequit gifted me the XCOM2 collection (thanks mate!! :D) so I installed it, booted up the base game and immediately lost 2 people in the first mission to crits.

:xcom:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Baller Ina posted:

Posting to find my Vermintide post from earlier, and a pre-emptive thank you to everyone who responded. I'm probably gonna pick up the base game at least, but I forgot to ask the million dollar question: is it still a good game with only two people?
As was said, you won't be able to do the hardest levels without a full party. However, playing with randoms isn't really the bad. Most people at the mid levels don't talk in my experience, and it's easy enough to drop out and find a new party. Like Killing Floor, the community is largely not toxic and is fine to engage with.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Baller Ina posted:

Posting to find my Vermintide post from earlier, and a pre-emptive thank you to everyone who responded. I'm probably gonna pick up the base game at least, but I forgot to ask the million dollar question: is it still a good game with only two people?

Yes, played through it with my wife. We both enjoyed it but don’t enough to do the meta grind after completing the main story. We played about half and half with internet randos and bots. Both were fine.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It’s sale time again and Haven’s price has dropped to $12.49, so I wanted to repost my review for what was probably my absolute favorite (and the most criminally slept-on) game of the last year. Kay and Yu are arguably the most true-to-life characters I’ve ever seen in a video game, and watching them navigate both the highs and lows of their relationship was just a wonderful experience from start to finish. I know not everyone is interested in romantic stories in their games, but if you are, you owe it to yourself to pick up this gem.

Haven’s story is uniquely charming. Gameplay is… fine. Co-op does require you be able to cooperate.

Omi no Kami posted:

How complete is Timberborn? Beaver Banished sounds rad as heck, but small team EA stuff always makes me leery.
The management games thread loves it, but it seems like most people are done after one or two maps.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Any non-MMO games with lots of dress-up/costume options?

There's a part of my brain that really likes RPGs and action games with lots of costume/gear options. Most MMOs I play I hit max level then immediately spend the rest of my time hunting down gear and costumes that I think look cool.

There any single player games that scratch that itch? Needs good art direction - stuff like the Divinity series/Pathfinder etc don't hit it in the same way b/c tbh the armor/character design is... bland to terrible.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

There's a part of my brain that really likes RPGs and action games with lots of costume/gear options. Most MMOs I play I hit max level then immediately spend the rest of my time hunting down gear and costumes that I think look cool.

There any single player games that scratch that itch? Needs good art direction - stuff like the Divinity series/Pathfinder etc don't hit it in the same way b/c tbh the armor/character design is... bland to terrible.

Saints Rows (2 has the best customizations)

WWE games

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Monster Hunter!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Monster hunter world, most likely soon rise

Nioh 2

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If I wanted to play one of these games for its single player mode, should I play Minecraft or Terraria? It feels like for the former you may as well play on a multiplayer server.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Daggerfall might be the best given how much drat stuff there is to do in it, and with the unity port going strong.
Daggerfall has an even worse case of sameness to its stuff to do than Oblivion or Skyrim, though. If it's not on the main quest or like, a number of other locations I can count on one hand, it's randomly generated. No human intervention involved.

And I'm not even sure about the "handful of other locations" I might be misremembering and it's just main plot stuff.

Unlucky7 posted:

If I wanted to play one of these games for its single player mode, should I play Minecraft or Terraria? It feels like for the former you may as well play on a multiplayer server.
Uh... what do you want out of the single player mode? They're pretty different games despite both being "build suff with blocks" type games.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ragequit gifted me the XCOM2 collection (thanks mate!! :D) so I installed it, booted up the base game and immediately lost 2 people in the first mission to crits.

I look forward to your future 99% chance missed shots

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zereth posted:

Daggerfall has an even worse case of sameness to its stuff to do than Oblivion or Skyrim, though. If it's not on the main quest or like, a number of other locations I can count on one hand, it's randomly generated. No human intervention involved.

And I'm not even sure about the "handful of other locations" I might be misremembering and it's just main plot stuff.

Uh... what do you want out of the single player mode? They're pretty different games despite both being "build suff with blocks" type games.

I guess goals and progression. Something close to Dragon Quest Builders, though I understand that neither game is like it.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Kennel posted:

Saints Rows (2 has the best customizations)

WWE games

If you get Saints Row 2 get the Gentlemen of the Row mod made by the late IdolNinja. It's pretty much the only way to get the game working on PC.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Green Man Gaming sent an email saying you can use the code “BESTOF22” for 20% off a bunch of preorders like Monster Hunter Rise, Elden Ring, God of War, Forspoken, Destiny 2 Witch Queen, and a few others. Seems like a pretty solid deal for those open palm slamming Monster Hunter and/or Elden Ring like me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

XCOM 2
Monster Hunter and most of its clones
Sunset Overdrive
Code Vein
Deep Rock Galactic
Tales of Berseria

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 25, 2021

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

def XCOM 2, especially with the DLC and mods. you can install gigs of clothing mods easily (use the alternate mod launcher tho). This might sound dumb and not real but I assure you that you can spend hours doing dressup in XCOM 2.

in fact it goes beyond just how your soldiers look. you also customize their loadouts, names, voices, all that. and you can make posters after every mission where you choose their poses and stuff. and your base layout too.

also if you wanna get a little more out there, Champions Online has a ridiculous customizer

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are.. are you just asking if Animal Crossing exists?

The X-com games are often noted for their array of clothing and other dress up options, but they’re almost all “tacticool” looking. I suspect they might be too samey for what you want. Also, everything is unlocked from the start.

Rune Factory 4 let’s you change what gear NPCs are wearing, but only their hats (and sometimes weapons) are visible.

SV has a wide array of clothing options, but it is all low pixel count pixel art.

I’ve heard that Dragon’s Dogma does that, but haven’t played it.

Possibly Skyrim or one of the Fallouts with the right mod set. Skyrim does radical appearance changes out of the box, but you’ll want mods to make any of it look good since you didn’t like the way other RPGs looked.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

I guess goals and progression.

Terraria for sure.

Edmond Dantes posted:

First mission is the best time to lose them. Enjoy!

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 25, 2021

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

they’re almost all “tacticool” looking. I suspect they might be too samey for what you want.

mods can fix that :pcgaming:

or just give you even more tacticool

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hwurmp posted:

Code Vein

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm sorry, but I'm contractually obliged to post this every time someone mentions Code Vein:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

You're definitely on with Animal Crossing. The first part of my daily routine was hitting up the tailor to see what new outfits I could assemble.

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all. I think Monster Hunter World/Rise will scratch that itch for sure.

What I mean by art direction is... Anime or high fantasy? FFXIV, Code Vein, Dark Souls 3 all are good examples of games that I really enjoyed the dress-up with. I must live through my beautiful genderless bois

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lobotomy Corporation and Library of Ruina have a whole lot of anime dress-up too

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

I guess goals and progression. Something close to Dragon Quest Builders, though I understand that neither game is like it.
You want Terraria then, it has boss progression and stuff. Pay attention to the Guide, he has actual advice these days and can tell you everything you can make with a crafting material.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

:ssh: If that's the Operation Gatecrasher tutorial, it's scripted so you always lose Peter Osei and Ana Ramirez. F

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hwurmp posted:

:ssh: If that's the Operation Gatecrasher tutorial, it's scripted so you always lose Peter Osei and Ana Ramirez. rip

No, the first actual 'mission' after that one, getting the power cell for Shen. I got to the objective which activated the last pod of the mission, who then proceeded to 1-shot 2 of my dudes through half cover (there was no other full cover available don't @ me).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Xander77 posted:

As usual during the winter sale \ my near-birthday, I'm handing out gifts.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/

Add me, specify a favorite genre(s). Write a short review here \ ride the gift train in return (or both, obv).

Xander77, friend request from kio_masada on Steam. I ain’t looking for any gifts, but the fact you’re offering (and I know I got the right X77 because we’re both in SAGoons group!) means friendly person! Any other goons are welcome to send invites as well, I’m still getting my feet wet playing multiplayer stuff because the only games I’ve been able to play with others since 2007-08 or so is EQ and WoW. I’m horrible at fps games, and have a huge backlog of single player games I wasn’t able to play, but if I’m online I’m always happy to chat.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Invite sent (kio_masada). No bribes needed, just new friends!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Dark Souls games have a lot of different armor sets to find and are pretty fun to dress up in.
But 95% of the options are gonna be some kind of knight, wizard, or grimy medieval peasant so that might not be the kind of dress up you want.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Steam Global finally got firewalled in China. Sucks for a lot of reasons, for the people who bought in over there and the developers who now have a massive market taken from them.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Unlucky7 posted:

Terraria for sure then imo

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I should clarify you don't get much in the way of specific building goals in Terraria. You'll want storage and crafting stuff, and probably an arena to fight bosses in, and you need to build housing for NPCs but they don't much care what's in the housing or what it's made of. And until the latest big patch didn't care where it was or who lived nearby, but do now. The goals are more "now it's time to go to Zone X and get stuff to fight Boss Z", although this is seldom explicit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

Steam Global finally got firewalled in China. Sucks for a lot of reasons, for the people who bought in over there and the developers who now have a massive market taken from them.

Im surprised it lasted this long. though one thing I'll not be sorry to see go are the nationalist brigade. Wonder how this will affect chinese devs trying to release stuff on Steam.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Everyone go buy the very good games Open Sorcery + its sequel holiday dlc and Magicat.

Cheap, good, well made, unique, worth every penny.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

LLSix posted:

I’ve heard that Dragon’s Dogma does that, but haven’t played it.

Good call, and that's likely the best possible answer. The clothing options are extensive, you get two characters (yourself and your pawn), and the character creation is insanely extensive. There's an entire scene of making pairs of characters from other series/games/movies or the real world.

Also, it's a magnificent power trip game. Every game-ending-looking monster inevitably ends up becoming farming fodder later and something worse shows up stopping you again in your tracks for a while. And once you mopped up the entire game, there's the Bitterblack Isle expansion dungeon cranking everything up to 11. And that too, will end up being farmed eventually. And the game includes a sick speedrun mode which throws you into a special timed run, with starting stats/equipment that match the character you used to start it, as well as the teleport stones you have placed across the world beforehand to accelerate your planned route. And once the speedrun is done, you just get back to your normal game wher eyou left it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

explosivo posted:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is the free game on Epic today
I've heard Pathfinder is a series where game #1 was where they were learning how to make it and is a good foundation but not super-great, and that Wrath of the Righteous is where all those lessons paid off and is fantastic. Kind of like how Shadowrun was fine but Hong Kong and Dragonfall are top-class. Does that sound about right? I bounced off Divinity 2 really hard since it was a level of complexity I wasn't looking for, but I still fancy a new CRPG.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

I've heard Pathfinder is a series where game #1 was where they were learning how to make it and is a good foundation but not super-great, and that Wrath of the Righteous is where all those lessons paid off and is fantastic. Kind of like how Shadowrun was fine but Hong Kong and Dragonfall are top-class. Does that sound about right? I bounced off Divinity 2 really hard since it was a level of complexity I wasn't looking for, but I still fancy a new CRPG.
Kingmaker got improved a lot over the years of patching. They're both very good IMO.
That being said, if you bounce off complexity, you might end up not liking this one.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, both Pathfinder games are based upon basically a fan revision of the D&D rules, and "simple" is not a thing D&D does very well.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Phlegmish posted:

I bought Solasta: Crown of the Magister, and I'm now realizing I know very little about the D&D 5e ruleset. Which party composition would you guys recommend (4 characters)? Just interested in building a solid party, nothing too gimmicky.

If you want to roll over the game: Paladin, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard.
Paladin is just a better fighter and one of the subtypes gets the Shield spell (an insane +5 AC reaction), Rogue poo poo damage in 5e with sneak attack from long range (for a large portion of the game your rogue will literally one-shot enemies consistently every round), Clerics come with the most overpowered spell in 5e (Spiritual Guardians) and a Wizard will save you thousands of gold in identify fees.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

anilEhilated posted:

Kingmaker got improved a lot over the years of patching. They're both very good IMO.
That being said, if you bounce off complexity, you might end up not liking this one.
Maybe 'complexity' was the wrong word. My problem with Divinity 2 was that the huge range of interactions combined with how big and how spread-out the combat was meant every fight felt like a slog that took an age to resolve, especially if you didn't bring the right loadout for whatever environment you were in. I played Pillars of Eternity and loved that but by the middle of D2 Act 2 I just gave up because I dreaded any kind of battle.

I mean if they've been enhancing Pathfinder 1 I'll just grab it and try it, no better price than free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Kingmaker is great, but you have to know beforehand that you're jumping onto a 100+ hours game if you intend to finish it. There's a lot of stuff in there, and the management around the main quest (travel, exploration, kingdom management, companion quests...) adds a ton of padding and loading screens which really accumulate over time. I'm at 102h in my game, and currently in act 6 out of 8.