Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Kit Walker posted:

Yo that list was just every boss fight with multiple enemies and my opinion on whether that worked for the fight or held it back, since DS2 apparently had way, way more boss fights like that than any other game in the series. I thought I made it pretty clear in the descriptions that a lot of them didn’t give me any trouble, but a solid half of the total are only challenging because you spend all your time running around waiting for the rare window of opportunity where attacking one of the enemies won’t get you hit by another. It worked for Ornstein and Smough because they’re strong, intimidating, clearly a huge loving deal, and also one of very few fights where you’re forced to run around desperately trying not to die. It’s not nearly as fun when you keep having to do that over and over again. That’s really my biggest criticism of the game. Maybe it works for other people but it dragged it down for me

This is a consistent problem with DS2. From the larger number of group fights to the way certain enemies work, DS2 has a lot of fights that force a tedious fighting style to overcome them. My (least) favorite example is the knights at the beginning of the iron keep. They have huge poise, fast attacks, fast movement, attack immediately, are in fairly enclosed areas, and have a long reach. So you can't really run past them, you can't just beat them down. You have to doge or block or parry. Have to. Every single one of the dozen or so knights forces you to respond to them defensively at the start and then counter. Often more than once too if you can't beat them down in one combo. It's so rote and to top it off there are so many of them.

Then there's things like the bigger guys who will fall on you meaning you can't just get behind them and go to town. Ogres have that AND a badly telegraphed and hitboxed grab so you gotta be extra careful. And you have effectively infinite health with lifegems IF you stretch out fights long enough for the slow healing to take effect. It's the entry in the series where I spent the most time waiting on openings or health ticks compared to any of the others.

I know Hbomberman made a whole video about how Bloodborne took away shields and it blew his mind at the genius of it. But to me the real genius in the series is in Dark Souls 1 where the combat was weighted so you could use a shield OR not use a shield. And the better you were the more able you were to just go on the offensive. Being able to put away the shield was like a reward for getting good and corresponded with when you no longer felt the need to huddle behind a shield because you knew the game enough.

I feel like every soulslike after DS1 took away from the playstyle possibilities and that's what drags them down to me. DS2 through bullshit encounter design, and Bloodborne and DS3 through speeding the combat up too much for some styles to work. Man thinking about it DS3 it's just a blur in my mind, every fight feels like it's the same pace to my memory. Just an endless smear of quick reaction dodges and getting in 1, maybe 2 hits before I gotta do it again. DS2 almost got it right but messed it up. Get rid of the differing roll iframes, get rid of lifegems and give more estus, and tighten up the encounter design to be less tedious and I'd rate it above DS1 even, but as is there's just too many enemies where I think about playing DS2 again and then I nope out with the image of that enemy in my mind. Plus the agility tax.

Phigs has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Dec 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phigs posted:

My (least) favorite example is the knights at the beginning of the iron keep. They have huge poise, fast attacks, fast movement, attack immediately, are in fairly enclosed areas, and have a long reach. So you can't really run past them, you can't just beat them down. You have to doge or block or parry. Have to. Every single one of the dozen or so knights forces you to respond to them defensively at the start and then counter. Often more than once too if you can't beat them down in one combo. It's so rote and to top it off there are so many of them.

Or you hit them with a stick and they loving explode.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
your first mistake was trying to use a slow heavy weapon to stagger the armored knights instead of simply spamming r1 with a rapier/shortsword and the Stone Ring
that poo poo was busted as hell against high-poise enemies for some reason

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Count me as one of the players who believe that Mafia 3 had an excellent story and presentation, it was just let down by a repetitive game-loop (Dismantle the two rackets in a district, confront the racket bosses, then engage the head Mafioso in a scripted mission.) The DLC is more original than the base game and ironically has nothing to do with the Mafia.

By comparison I only played Assassins' Creed Valhalla for 15 hours but I uninstalled it because I'm 30 years old and I don't have the time to deal with so much bullshit. The story is boring and having beaten the 11 previous AC games I know the gameplay-loop WILL outstay it's welcome.

* The game is broken up into 21 regions, 2 of which are optional. After leaving the Norway map you have to do a quest-line for all 16 regions of England, basically undergoing the same arc 16 times.

https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/wiki/Template:ACVMemories

Just look at how long the main quest takes. The critical path is easily over 130 missions long. No main quest should ever be that arduous.

* The gear-system is dull to non-existent. It's good in principle that every piece you find is hand-placed and can be freely upgraded. Except upgrading gear is costly, the weapon perks are boring, and transmog costs money. Compare this to Fenyx, which was made by the Odyssey team. Where all gear shares the same stats, the perks are useful, and transmog is free.

* You have a sphere grid to level up.There are 400 nodes to choose from, mostly stats-boosts but also passive-abilities. Ain't nobody got the time to look at that poo poo. A simple skill-tree would have sufficed.

* The Cult of Kosmos was incredibly important in Odyssey, as they were responsible for scattering your family and corrupting your sibling. It was a joy to play a stabby detective who hunts them down by untangling their web of members. The Order of the Ancients is a rehash whom you have no motive to go after except that your Assassin buddy Hytham asked you nicely.

These last AC games have cribbed heavily from the Witcher 3, only with weaker writing and more bloat. I wish they'd take notes from Horizon Zero Dawn instead. That game knew how to be a sanbox that's lengthly but doesnt overstays its welcome.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly I don't even care if they're bloated, just give me a chaos machine as entertaining as Kassandra and I'm on board with any future games.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Odyssey was better in pretty much every aspect.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The last few AC games I've stopped doing side missions unless they seemed fun and it's made a big difference. Someone really needs to show them that less=more sometimes

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

returnal has a dodge that gives you a lot of invincibility time and it's very important to use it to dodge through attacks. the tutorial mentions that it makes you immune to "most sources of damage" or somesuch. well what doesn't it make you immune to? you get to find out the fun way!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

your first mistake was trying to use a slow heavy weapon to stagger the armored knights instead of simply spamming r1 with a rapier/shortsword and the Stone Ring
that poo poo was busted as hell against high-poise enemies for some reason

I went through NG+ powerstancing Caestus swapping in a Bone Fist when I felt like it. With the Stone ring, it owned so hard. Trivializes 90% of the game. Even most invasions are over in a matter of seconds because you can just get in their face and Dempsey Roll them to death. You have virtually no crowd control, but so long as you can keep fights limited to one or two opponents you can usually manage a win

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Odyssey was better in pretty much every aspect.

The game world was about 400% bigger than it needed to be.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

JackSplater posted:

But that's a general open world (and specifically Ubisoft) problem nowadays.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

JackSplater posted:

I got a platinum and didn't even touch 70% of the icons on the map.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

This guy owns (owned) because he actually is trying to summon players as well. You could put your sign down or use an orb in that hallway and he'd call you in.

I always liked being summoned for this boss, then not doing anything . Really threw lots of people off. Makes a pretty easy boss even more trivial.

My favorite covenant was the mound makers in DS3. They were the only covenant that could help you or fight you. It was great fun being summoned and just helping people out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I always liked being summoned for this boss, then not doing anything . Really threw lots of people off. Makes a pretty easy boss even more trivial.

My favorite covenant was the mound makers in DS3. They were the only covenant that could help you or fight you. It was great fun being summoned and just helping people out.

Half the fun of being a mound maker was fighting a host until an invader showed up, then immediately turning around and loving him up with the host and sunbro

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I would say the biggest problem with the Assassins Creed series as a whole is that it does not respect your time at all. Especially the games where your primary transportation is via boat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's okay my time isn't worth that much.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

muscles like this! posted:

I would say the biggest problem with the Assassins Creed series as a whole is that it does not respect your time at all. Especially the games where your primary transportation is via boat.

Wrong. Black Flag was like 90% boat and it was good piratey fun

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

christmas boots posted:

Wrong. Black Flag was like 90% boat and it was good piratey fun

Sure, but everything non-boat sucked and was slow and boring and annoying and gently caress that, let me get back to the boat.

Or have you forgotten the Ubisoft Employee Simulator parts?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The general removal of lethal parries from AC was what i hate. I know there was an argument that parries trivialized combat but it felt very on brand for an assassin.

Dont get me started on when they introduced enemies you just couldnt loving fight without specific weapons / level. loving AC3

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Assassins Creed has never really figured out what they want to do with combat. I both love and hated in Brotherhood where they introduced chain kills. Made you feel pretty cool but it simplified the already simple combat a bunch.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It worked better when enemies could run. Just standing around fatally countering until the last few guys throw their weapons down and run was the best

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I can get level scaling in an open world so players can go anywhere from the start. But the way this means some enemies are just arbitrarily-designated slabs of beef, often mixed in with other identical looking enemies you can kill with no problems, may be one of my least favorite things in modern gaming. At least keep those nightmarishly hard enemies in their own lane, or give them models and designs befitting of a real shitwrecker! Bandit C inexplicably hitting ten times as hard as Bandits A, B, and D is just demoralizing!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I say gently caress level scaling. If you've got the plains of nightmare beasts next to the rainbow hills, then the player should know better not to walk over to the place where the sky is red and the land filled with pustules of lava.

This is one reason I loved the Gothic series (well, the first 2, and to a lesser extent other eurojanky RPGs). You feel like an baby until the point where you suddenly realize that you can take down your first dark wolf or whatever, then suddenly feel like a badass (until like you come across something a little tougher and get your head caved in for your hubris).

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Bee posted:

I can get level scaling in an open world so players can go anywhere from the start. But the way this means some enemies are just arbitrarily-designated slabs of beef, often mixed in with other identical looking enemies you can kill with no problems, may be one of my least favorite things in modern gaming. At least keep those nightmarishly hard enemies in their own lane, or give them models and designs befitting of a real shitwrecker! Bandit C inexplicably hitting ten times as hard as Bandits A, B, and D is just demoralizing!

I'm gonna assume this is about Dragon's Dogma, because they pull this poo poo pretty early on (and if you don't power through or run by you end up missing some notable content.)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I feel like at some point in development Dragon's Dogma was supposed to have much more of a new game plus focus like Dead Rising, but the final product does not really work in terms of replayability.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

ZeusCannon posted:

The general removal of lethal parries from AC was what i hate. I know there was an argument that parries trivialized combat but it felt very on brand for an assassin.

Dont get me started on when they introduced enemies you just couldnt loving fight without specific weapons / level. loving AC3

The core problem of the parry-kill was that it was not balanced with the offensive options so the optimal or near-optimal lazy strategy was to just sit there and wait to counter. Which really made combat boring and it needed to go. The other option to fix it was to give you equally powerful offensive options. Like give you an offensive "parry" where you time it on when the enemy blocks you and you get to kill them. Just anything that made it possible to quickly kill someone proactively. But of course taking away the powerful thing was the easiest way to fix it so they did that instead.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It was one of like 2 buttons in ac2
which is fine
the combat being fairly 1-dimenasional makes sense when it's mostly just a brief side thing for when you fail the main gameplay of climbing around the outside of a cathedral to stab some sap in the neck

as they made the combat in the AC series more of a real game they also made the actual assassin part of it less and less emphasized until there were whole-rear end "assassin" games about driving a boat or beheading englishmen with a viking axe or some poo poo

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

It worked better when enemies could run. Just standing around fatally countering until the last few guys throw their weapons down and run was the best

This is why the "lazy" way was awesome. Aggressive offensive parries would be good too instead of whatever the gently caress nonsense they ended up with. 4 was the last good AC

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It would have been nice for Ghost of Tsushima to checkpoint me before this fight with a lady that pushes me poo poo in.

You know so that if I get frustrated I could just not trigger the fight and also when I still had resolve

Edit: and it would be nice to just die, instead you have to wait for the person to walk over and stab you. Ever death. It's real fun and not at all a waste of my time

Len has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Dec 25, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sailing your ship in AssCreed: Black Flag was fun because there was always stuff to do. You could hunt, attack other ship or fortresses , dive for treasures or just chill out. In AssCreed: Odyssey it was so boring that I would just set course for where I had to go and go to the bathroom or something.

Phigs posted:

The core problem of the parry-kill was that it was not balanced with the offensive options so the optimal or near-optimal lazy strategy was to just sit there and wait to counter. Which really made combat boring and it needed to go. The other option to fix it was to give you equally powerful offensive options. Like give you an offensive "parry" where you time it on when the enemy blocks you and you get to kill them. Just anything that made it possible to quickly kill someone proactively. But of course taking away the powerful thing was the easiest way to fix it so they did that instead.

I generally think that a melee heavy game needs some sort of counter move. The Arkham games for example have it without making combat boring or too easy.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Alhazred posted:

I generally think that a melee heavy game needs some sort of counter move. The Arkham games for example have it without making combat boring or too easy.

Trying to put my finger on why exactly one felt fine while the other felt like rear end. My memory is telling me that AC felt like you basically had to use a 'finisher' attack to kill enemies. Without it they just tanked a whole bunch of normal hits. One way to get a finisher was at the end of a combo, but in a large fight you'd always be interrupted before you could finish it. Without getting through the combo you would just be hitting the enemy once or twice and feeling like you were getting nowhere. Not to mention higher level enemies would block the first attack or 2 anyway, so when you got interrupted you'd have literally accomplished nothing by attacking. So the only reliable way to get a finisher was with a counter, and you might as well just sit there waiting for it because chipping away in between counters felt fairly pointless.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

In the original Assassin's Creed counter kills were good and balanced because the weapons were actually different. The Sword and Knife weren't actually one-hit-kills, countering with them just removed Hp from the enemy until it was low enough to do an execution move. The Hidden Blade however always killed on counters, but it couldn't block or do normal attacks so it was more risky. None of them were of course the real champion of killing people, that was the throw. Either you throw someone into a platform or off a roof to kill them, or you just threw them to the ground and did a normal non-combat assassination on them, which was a more active way of killing enemies. IIRC all of these things(and a few more interesting things) were removed in AC2 and never really came back in the later games.

Alhazred posted:

Sailing your ship in AssCreed: Black Flag was fun because there was always stuff to do. You could hunt, attack other ship or fortresses , dive for treasures or just chill out. In AssCreed: Odyssey it was so boring that I would just set course for where I had to go and go to the bathroom or something.

Yeah I did that in AC 4 as well, there wasn't really any difference, except that Odyssey had better fast travel points so you didn't have to waste as much time.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
AC1’s stealth blade counter was awesome. You could end the climactic final battle in the game in five seconds because of it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Playing through the Castlevania Chronicles version of SotN and what the gently caress, they got rid of all the cheesy voice acting. They even changed the dialogue in the “miserable pile of secrets” speech. Boo.

Even the corny “I am the wind” song from the credits is gone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Frank Frank posted:

Playing through the Castlevania Chronicles version of SotN and what the gently caress, they got rid of all the cheesy voice acting. They even changed the dialogue in the “miserable pile of secrets” speech. Boo.

Even the corny “I am the wind” song from the credits is gone.

IIRC that was a change from a previous version.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

IIRC that was a change from a previous version.

Well it’s a terrible change :colbert:

I’m digging the TG16 version of Rondo though. I’ve been looking for a way to play it without spending a fortune for years.

Edit: sorry, Castlevania Requiem, not Chronicles

Double edit: Having the opening video in German with English subtitles (because presumably, Richter is German) is a weird choice.

Triple edit: holy poo poo this game is hard as balls. Richter is so drat slow it’s hard to avoid incoming attacks and hit back vs the bosses. The alternate boss of level 1 is handing me my rear end. They took away all of Richter’s snazzy movement tech fighting game input commands. Really missing that blade slash move right about now.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Dec 25, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Dewgy posted:

AC1’s stealth blade counter was awesome. You could end the climactic final battle in the game in five seconds because of it.

I watched a friend do the final fight and he accidentally ended it in 10 seconds. Incredibly anticlimactic. We did laugh our asses off though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

Well it’s a terrible change :colbert:

I’m digging the TG16 version of Rondo though. I’ve been looking for a way to play it without spending a fortune for years.

Edit: sorry, Castlevania Requiem, not Chronicles

Double edit: Having the opening video in German with English subtitles (because presumably, Richter is German) is a weird choice.

Triple edit: holy poo poo this game is hard as balls. Richter is so drat slow it’s hard to avoid incoming attacks and hit back vs the bosses. The alternate boss of level 1 is handing me my rear end. They took away all of Richter’s snazzy movement tech fighting game input commands. Really missing that blade slash move right about now.

If it helps you get another PC if you didn’t already know, they take hits worse (although idk if it’s even by a significant amount) but feels smoother iirc. You can’t reenact the opening of SOTN though.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Last Celebration posted:

If it helps you get another PC if you didn’t already know, they take hits worse (although idk if it’s even by a significant amount) but feels smoother iirc. You can’t reenact the opening of SOTN though.

I rescued her yesterday but haven’t used her. I’ll probably do another play through with magical anime girl after I finish with Richter.

The way this game is set up is just great too. There are only 7-8 stages but each one has a completely alternate route you can take with a different boss to fight. Some areas can only be reached by using certain characters. That’s pretty neat for a 90s-era game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Guardians Of The Galaxy leans heavily on the movies aesthetics but chooses the blandest, most overly played classic rock and pop hits of the 80's. Gunn didn't go for the deepest cuts but I'll be damned if Square Enix didn't just copy and paste some radio station's regular rotation.

Also some dialogue comes in on the PS4 controller speaker which always annoys me. And the controller dialogue doesn't even have subtitles