Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Sleng Teng posted:

Dampeners start to fall flat when bosses can use different elements for their big attacks, so guard works a little bit better there. But by that point you probably have better options anyway or demons with appropriate resistances to cover one or two of those so you could just blow a dampener on the odd element out or the one that would be the most ruinous

When I was -really- worried about that, I would try to figure out the most likely candidate to be used as the mass crit wave, dampened that, and then had nahobino guard.
When it came to groups of enemies, I would usually just cast a phys block as a gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Most of the time if you look at their movelist, if there's a random ma- spell you haven't seen yet, that's what they use on their crit turn

There are a handful of bosses whose AI doesn't change on crit turns and are more dangerous because they're less predictable. Guarding is very useful against those bosses

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I am trying Ishtar with 2 devices still up because I’m absolutely just done with trying to navigate around area 3

She’s still pretty hard. I feel like I need to get at least one more of those devices but so annoying

1-2 devices is probably the sweet spot. I haven't messed with all the variations but leaving up more than half makes the fight definitely bullshit, and taking out all of them makes the fight a complete joke.

That piercing AoE damage + seal attack very quickly discouraged me from seeing how many you can get away with leaving up.

E: You can trivialize a whole lot of fight by having a dedicated phys block caster. Don't even need to save it for a crit turn, just keep their MP up and cast that poo poo every turn you don't have all the buffs/ailments you want online.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 20, 2021

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I found area 3 way easier than area 2 tbh.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

1-2 devices is probably the sweet spot. I haven't messed with all the variations but leaving up more than half makes the fight definitely bullshit, and taking out all of them makes the fight a complete joke.

That piercing AoE damage + seal attack very quickly discouraged me from seeing how many you can get away with leaving up.

E: You can trivialize a whole lot of fight by having a dedicated phys block caster. Don't even need to save it for a crit turn, just keep their MP up and cast that poo poo every turn you don't have all the buffs/ailments you want online.

I’ll keep trying with 2 in that case. I don’t have phys block yet, or any essences with it - surprised I could have had it by now. I have elec block but honestly would rather just use the items for that

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Lmao the yamata-no-orochi and hydra dialogue was great, and yamata-no-orochi ended up critting a titanomachia and killed all my summoned demons right after

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I decided to go all in on yoshitsune and max out his physical affinity, which makes his unique skill cheaper and used a bunch of incenses on him.

Only level 50 but I guess this guy is gonna last me to the end of the game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m at the end of the castle at the end of area 3 and I am loving the battles and exploration but also 100% done with the platform poo poo lol

I dunno how you keep a dungeon interesting while making it a flat box so I get why they did it

But I dunno man

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Lmao the yamata-no-orochi and hydra dialogue was great, and yamata-no-orochi ended up critting a titanomachia and killed all my summoned demons right after

Hydra has a Convo with Cerberus too while you've got him

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Ok I decided to go all in on yoshitsune and max out his physical affinity, which makes his unique skill cheaper and used a bunch of incenses on him.

I'm still using him at 61, he's good but a bit of a glass cannon. He's gotten one shot more than a few times. A lot of things in Taito hit real hard.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It hasn't felt worth it to level up any demon rather than fusing a higher level one. Only felt useful once against a mini-boss with Dark weakness who gave me a hard time so I grimoired Alice up to compete. Even then by the time I went back to the mini-boss I absolutely wiped the floor with it, Alice notwithstanding, cause I grabbed the right Affinities and rostered demons with the correct Resistances or Nulls.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Specifically with Yoshi the skill always critting, becoming cheaper with mastery and most things not resisting phys means almost every single battle benefits from this guy popping out free damage with extra turns attached

Also hitting what I believe is close to route lock and suddenly there is actually a story. I like it just paced so weird

Great twist in typical smt fashion to have the world map music change too

LMAO WHAT HAPPENED TO TAO is she the Virgin Mary what

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 22, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Google panagia

cshell
Nov 20, 2021

he absolutely did carry me to endgame (played on normal, wasn't overlevelled, but fused all the pleromas and crit boost passives etc). he is a little fragile but sometimes you gotta live life on the edge

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the castle is the best area in the game

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Hey I know it probably doesn't matter to much, but is it worth it to dump into magic or strength? Looks like strength has most the cool unique skills, but magic is pretty flexible if you can find the essences you need.

Which one is slightly more idiot proof?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

There are strength versions of elemental skills this time around if you’re worried about coverage

Edit: and physical skills can crit normally and get press turns without a weakness, plus most of the coolest Nahobino unique skills are STR

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The only issue I'm having with strength is when a mid/boss shows up with physical resist and more HP than a skyscraper. Now you're dropping gems and shards to keep combo meters up and have to go on a fusion spree to find 3-5 pokeymens with vaguely the right resistances and attack spells.

I just got to the level range where the elemental/physical hybrid skills appeared as far as I'm aware, btw.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Andrigaar posted:

The only issue I'm having with strength is when a mid/boss shows up with physical resist and more HP than a skyscraper. Now you're dropping gems and shards to keep combo meters up and have to go on a fusion spree to find 3-5 pokeymens with vaguely the right resistances and attack spells.

I just got to the level range where the elemental/physical hybrid skills appeared as far as I'm aware, btw.

For physical resisting bosses you can use the main character's almighty STR attack skills like Sakanagi. Also if you charge them with Critical Aura they will always be critical and guarantee you the extra press turn (if you use the attack at the start of the turn). Many skills also have additional bonus damage for criticals in addition to the normal bonus.
If you use this for the main character instead of using a lot of skill slots for str based elemental skills you will be able to save the skill slots for other skills that increase your damage, survivability etc.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 24, 2021

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Sad news for everyone who likes rejecting gods. Apparently the lyrics say "war broke out in heaven".
https://youtu.be/rwHyxVb8uWY

cshell
Nov 20, 2021
afaict the smt nocturne soundtrack entirely contains lyrics directly copy pasted from the bible and should rightfully be considered for #1 on all christian rock charts

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Claiming the lyric is anything but "one more god rejected" is heresy.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
User added subtitles on a random Youtube video are only proof of what that one person incorrectly heard anyway

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

you can pry one more god rejected from my cold dead hands :colbert:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

cshell posted:

afaict the smt nocturne soundtrack entirely contains lyrics directly copy pasted from the bible and should rightfully be considered for #1 on all christian rock charts

Yeah, apparently most of the lyrics are lifted from the book of Revelation.

Lotus Aura posted:

User added subtitles on a random Youtube video are only proof of what that one person incorrectly heard anyway

Those probably come from this video, which has possibly the smuggest voiceover possible, but the argument is decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXOJYdwIIhk

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 24, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it's definitely one more god rejected

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There was a window for telling people what the lyrics were actually supposed to say and that closed about fifteen years ago.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

cshell posted:

Ahh, yes, the famous parable of the bug inside you.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It will be one more god rejected until the day I die.

Dante from the Devil May Cry series himself could come down from the heavens to tell me I'm wrong and I wouldn't believe him.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

, which has possibly the smuggest voiceover possible, but the argument is decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXOJYdwIIhk

Tell me it's larrue without telling me it's larrue

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Ahh, yes, the famous parable of the bug inside you.

Sadly, that seems to be "I'm your lord and saviour, I am the one true god".

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It’s “One more god rejected”, “I am the bug inside you”, and “I have your back against the wall”, and I strongly recommend everyone saying otherwise to leave immediately

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nocturne is literally about Satan putting a bug inside you.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I think it's genuinely interesting to try and find out the actual lyrics to an often misquoted song, even if the commonly accepted lyrics that originated from some dude on gamefaqs writing down what he thought he heard are cool.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saagonsa posted:

I think it's genuinely interesting to try and find out the actual lyrics to an often misquoted song, even if the commonly accepted lyrics that originated from some dude on gamefaqs writing down what he thought he heard are cool.

Same. It's like solving the Sonic 3/Michael Jackson thing, except not really.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nocturne is literally about Satan putting a bug inside you.

It's Lucifer, who you are definitely aiding.

Satan is one of those bugs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lotus Aura posted:

It's Lucifer, who you are definitely aiding.

Satan is one of those bugs.

You know, I realized my mistake a minute after posting but didn't think anyone would be pedantic enough to correct me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
its One More God Rejected

I reject the god of any other lyrics

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I just discovered this series a few months ago and went straight from Nocturne (got the TDE) into SMT5

The onboarding process is a lot more of A Thing in 5, like for example lots of the lower level demons have single target buffs and debuffs to kinda present the idea of like "hey these are spells that exist" before coming in with the party-wide stuff around level 40 or so. I don't think Nocturne had single target buffs or debuffs at all, it was just all out from the beginning and I remember it being jarring suddenly seeing all these spells with crazy names like rakukaja being thrown around with no idea what they do.

I've kept myself blind to critical review because I'm still playing the game but I can see the movement in 5 being a divisive thing. I keep telling myself it could've been actively bad instead of what we got, which is just kind of a milquetoast basic running and jumping thing that is completely fine and inoffensive. The real magic is they managed to make a sequel to a known, perhaps even a legendary 'hard game' without babifying it and this is something a lot of AAA devs probably couldn't do these days. Nocturne actually fell on a very short list of games I really loved but would never recommend to anybody, I'm glad I can tell people to play SMT5 without strings attached.

I just got to the fourth area so I'm not done yet but this area seems realer than the last few

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
"Wow, I should check out the DLC fight, just to see what I'll be up against!"