Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Throwing a cast net is infinitely more labor intensive than a fly rod. Throwing a cast net over and over again for a half hour is enough to wind most people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yeah I'm an uncoordinated idiot and I've caught tons of fish on a fly rod. I've never once thrown a cast net because they take witchcraft.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Getting better at the cast net. I need more wrist action on the leading hand. The 12-3 o’clock position isn’t opening as much but the rest of the net is pancaking normally.

Today I learned about a knocker rig. Had no idea it existed and I don’t know why or how.

Hauled in a few pound of grunt and mangos. Great time.

Triple tail can suck my balls though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

gamera009 posted:

Getting better at the cast net. I need more wrist action on the leading hand. The 12-3 o’clock position isn’t opening as much but the rest of the net is pancaking normally.

Today I learned about a knocker rig. Had no idea it existed and I don’t know why or how.

Hauled in a few pound of grunt and mangos. Great time.

Triple tail can suck my balls though.
I hear triple tails are delicious, though.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

That is correct.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I’ve posted in the fishing discord and the Minneapolis thread, but wanted to inform everyone:

Icy GoonFish, 1/29/2022, St Alban’s Bay on Lake Minnetonka. I have augers, an ice tent and a bucket of poles. Stop by to drink beer and freeze with goons as we get outsmarted by oxygen deprived fish.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

I’ve posted in the fishing discord and the Minneapolis thread, but wanted to inform everyone:

Icy GoonFish, 1/29/2022, St Alban’s Bay on Lake Minnetonka. I have augers, an ice tent and a bucket of poles. Stop by to drink beer and freeze with goons as we get outsmarted by oxygen deprived fish.

Typo, Excelsior Bay is where we will be, it has better access than St. Alban's.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I asked months ago about graphs in this thread. Ended up picking up a 9 inch Garmin Echomap via black Friday sales. I've only been able to take it out a couple times with the weather and busyness of the holidays but boy howdy does this change the game. I can pick out fish here and there but the main thing for me is being able to so easily find structure and bottom features that I would otherwise not know were there. I know some folks rail against video game fishing but when I only have a couple hours on the water this thing is way worth it being able to get me to a spot I know should produce.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

2d graphs aren’t even a big deal. It’s when you start going down the path of livescope, that is when your fishing trips get more productive but less fun.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

hard disagree, lol. finding that school and yanking them up is fun af

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

hard disagree, lol. finding that school and yanking them up is fun af

Its perfectly fine to disagree. The part where people stand on on their boat and stare at a livescope screen for 90% of their trip isn't exactly what I call fun. I also wouldn't have bought it if I didn't use it for certain types of fish under certain conditions.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I love livescope because it takes the uncertainty out of getting skunked. Previously if I didn't catch anything it's like, "were there fish there at all? did they just not bite? am I throwing the right thing?" With livescope you know they are there, you can see if they dislike your bait, and my personal favorite - you can watch your bait bonk them in the face.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

I love livescope because it takes the uncertainty out of getting skunked. Previously if I didn't catch anything it's like, "were there fish there at all? did they just not bite? am I throwing the right thing?" With livescope you know they are there, you can see if they dislike your bait, and my personal favorite - you can watch your bait bonk them in the face.

That is basically all I use it for outside of suspended crappie. I probably use perspective more than I do traditional vertical.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ghostnuke posted:

I was fishing from a kayak and I had a buddy skin diving near me. He slammed his two lingcods quick and decided to observe me fishing. Apparently I dropped my jig and it slammed into a big lingcods head and she didn’t even move. I jerked it up and it kinda shifted with no hookup. Wah.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Update: GoonFish will be a two-day freeze-o-rama from 1/29/21 to 1/30/21. The plan is Excelsior Bay on Lake Minnetonka for Day 1, Day 2 tbd.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just got back from 4 hours on the water with a couple of guides in Punta Mita, MX (just north of Puerto Vallarta). Was not the best day catching but a good time fishing. I was the only one of our group to get any hits with the jigs we were using. Unfortunately the boat got hit with wake right as I was starting to fight and knocked me off balance enough I couldn’t keep tension and lost it. We only had one hit on the bait rigs and while I was reeling it in one of the guides noticed the same fish had also taken the bait of another boat and we were both reeling it in. We got to the point where the fish was halfway between us when it got loose and our lines were still connected at the hooks and suspended a couple feet of off the water. The guides on both boats were laughing pretty hard at it, as nobody had ever seen that before.

Edit: Forgot the important part, we landed 1 Spanish Mackerel that became amazing fresh ceviche.

highme fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 22, 2021

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

gently caress yeah snook!

Despite growing up in FL I didn't catch my first one until this summer. Spent a week fishing in the Port Charlotte area and managed to get one mangrove snapper on frozen shrimp and the snook on a fly I tied myself. Probably would have fished more but I was paddling my NuCanoe and didn't want to venture too far off into the unknown.

Even if it wasn't big it was pretty awesome connecting with one on a fly I made myself.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Insanely jealous of your yak. I almost bought one till I decided to buy a new truck.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Insanely jealous of your yak. I almost bought one till I decided to buy a new truck.

I like it a lot. It's not perfect, but it's pretty affordable for the super wide, stable, power capable boats. I picked up a 2.5hp outboard for it but I don't think I'm going to use it. It's way too tippy with it on there. I dunno how two dudes sit on elevated chairs with one mounted. I did get an electric trolling motor for it which has worked great. I just need to actually do the paperwork to get it registered.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

charliebravo77 posted:

I like it a lot. It's not perfect, but it's pretty affordable for the super wide, stable, power capable boats. I picked up a 2.5hp outboard for it but I don't think I'm going to use it. It's way too tippy with it on there. I dunno how two dudes sit on elevated chairs with one mounted. I did get an electric trolling motor for it which has worked great. I just need to actually do the paperwork to get it registered.

Interesting and good to know about the engine. That was a fairly big selling point. Being super wide and stable for throwing crab pots and moving gear to an island was also high on my list.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Interesting and good to know about the engine. That was a fairly big selling point. Being super wide and stable for throwing crab pots and moving gear to an island was also high on my list.

I mean, I'm also close to 300 with most of my weight on the top half of my body so the center of gravity is way higher for me than it might be for others. I'm actually pretty interested in the Pivot drive pedal option. I'm probably going to try and sell my outboard and put that money into the Pivot drive. One thing I will say is that if you do end up getting any sort of outboard make sure it's got easily extended controls. Mine was probably meant for a small jon boat and if you set it up so that your seat is in a good position for balance it'd be impossible to reach the shift lever without rigging up some kind of extension. Tiller/throttle extension handle is easy enough but I haven't figured out the best way to extend the shift lever yet.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What's up, fisherfolk? Did you do something you're proud of this year? Maybe you caught a particularly big one. Get it burned into your rap sheet forever by posting in the 2021 Achievement Sixxer thread!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Fished the Shenandoah National Park the last two days. Day one was pretty epic. Water levels were very, very low and the fish were spooky. Plus a cold front just went over, so it make for a difficult day of fishing. But I caught a new personal best Park brookie - 13". Big bull trout.

Day two, I met another goon from the Discord and we fished a popular stream in the park. Unfortunately, we got skunked and everyone who got a fishing rod for Christmas was at the stream. There were 17 cars parked at the access when we left. ugh.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nice feesh there Dik!

I wanna catch some brookies!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Dik Hz posted:

Fished the Shenandoah National Park the last two days. Day one was pretty epic. Water levels were very, very low and the fish were spooky. Plus a cold front just went over, so it make for a difficult day of fishing. But I caught a new personal best Park brookie - 13". Big bull trout.

Day two, I met another goon from the Discord and we fished a popular stream in the park. Unfortunately, we got skunked and everyone who got a fishing rod for Christmas was at the stream. There were 17 cars parked at the access when we left. ugh.

Hell yeah. Was it the rapidan that was crowded?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I lived in Norfolk for 4 years and somehow it didn't occur to me that there were rivers and freshwater fishing in Virginia because I'm not smart. Now I'm sad that i never went

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

Hell yeah. Was it the rapidan that was crowded?
Yeah, Graves Mill access. Big trout was caught on the Rose

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

Dik Hz posted:

Yeah, Graves Mill access. Big trout was caught on the Rose

I've fished the Rose on and off basically my entire life. I now basically just fish it for smallmouth on ultralight gear and if I happen to catch a trout or two it's a bonus. I did use my own hand tied 1/32, 1/64oz jigs though. Wet flies in jig form.

Generally it's always been a bit over fished, and then the issue with huge parts being chained off because of property lines.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

WTF BEES posted:

I've fished the Rose on and off basically my entire life. I now basically just fish it for smallmouth on ultralight gear and if I happen to catch a trout or two it's a bonus. I did use my own hand tied 1/32, 1/64oz jigs though. Wet flies in jig form.

Generally it's always been a bit over fished, and then the issue with huge parts being chained off because of property lines.
I fish the Rose way up into the Park. Usually hike in at least two miles from the parking lot. It’s a beautiful river all the way along it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Had a hell of a day fishing the Chicago River in downtown Chicago. It was my third time trying the river and first successful day. Caught everything on a drop shot with a sexee tail shad. Probably 12-15 fish total. Mostly largies with a handful of bluegill too.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
holy poo poo that rules

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My bro in law bought me a fly reel for Christmas 350 size preloaded 5-6wt and I’m looking for recommendations for a reasonably affordable but decent fly rod to learn on. Probably mostly bass fishing around here in manmade ponds.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

What is reasonably affordable? I've got a 9ft 6wt St. Croix Imperial that I've caught a fair number of bass on without issue, they're $250. If you wanted to step up a little in price the TFO Axiom II-X looks pretty sweet at $350 but I don't have any experience with them.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

charliebravo77 posted:

What is reasonably affordable? I've got a 9ft 6wt St. Croix Imperial that I've caught a fair number of bass on without issue, they're $250. If you wanted to step up a little in price the TFO Axiom II-X looks pretty sweet at $350 but I don't have any experience with them.

That seems :homebrew: so certainly less. Something of a beginner rod for flat water. Prob 1-200$?

I’ve never once fly fished but expressed interest and he hooked me up w a reel. I’ve got a lot of learning to do.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

My bro in law bought me a fly reel for Christmas 350 size preloaded 5-6wt and I’m looking for recommendations for a reasonably affordable but decent fly rod to learn on. Probably mostly bass fishing around here in manmade ponds.
You want a 9 foot long 5-wt fast action graphite rod. Two or three piece for simplicity. That’ll be by far the easiest thing to learn on. Get a cheap one if you can. Used is great if you can find one on Facebook you like. Once you learn how to cast, you’ll want to pick a rod that matches your style. But don’t spend a lot of money right now

Also, get a free lesson from your local bass pro shops or from a buddy who knows how to fly fish. Maybe your BIL? It’s easy to learn but almost impossible to teach yourself.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It feels pricey but 250$ for an Orvis Clearwater with a full 25yr warranty seems good?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

It feels pricey but 250$ for an Orvis Clearwater with a full 25yr warranty seems good?
If you have money to blow go for it. But if you’re going to spend money, I’d buy a $200 fly line before I spent that much on a rod. But that’s just me.

There really aren’t any bad rods on the market any more. The TFO that Lefty Kreh specifically designed for beginners is a great starting point at $150. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/temple-fork-outfitters-signature-ii-series-fly-rod 9’ 5wt is what you want btw

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LeeMajors posted:

Orvis has one of the best warranties in the biz or any biz really. I know from experience, lol. What your paying for is in 24 years you can snap a tip off in a car door and theyll repair or replace the whole thing with a current model equiv with zero hassles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dik Hz posted:

If you have money to blow go for it. But if you’re going to spend money, I’d buy a $200 fly line before I spent that much on a rod. But that’s just me.

There really aren’t any bad rods on the market any more. The TFO that Lefty Kreh specifically designed for beginners is a great starting point at $150. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/temple-fork-outfitters-signature-ii-series-fly-rod 9’ 5wt is what you want btw

Yeah it’s a little intimidating and overwhelming and google (obviously) steers toward bigger brands.

Thanks for the rec. I’ll prob just snag that one or the redington I’ve seen around there for 150-170. I just wasn’t sure what the floor was for a legitimately good one or if warranty was a real concern.

King of Bees posted:

Orvis has one of the best warranties in the biz or any biz really. I know from experience, lol. What your paying for is in 24 years you can snap a tip off in a car door and theyll repair or replace the whole thing with a current model equiv with zero hassles.

Also this is super appealing.

gently caress.