Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
In what kind of hosed up inverse reality RE stops being good after you get the shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Its weird. Everything I hear about the characterization of the animatronics in FNAF Security Breach actually sounds pretty cool. Then everything I hear about the gameplay and story is like a deflating balloon. I almost wonder if the game'd be better as a mini movie or series of anomated vignettes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it is kind of cute how it gives us a glimpse at how the animatronics are supposed to behave when they're not dead-eyed homicidal maniacs, i.e., taking care of little kids - the opening where freddy grabs the PC with the usual jumpscare shot and then just scans him and promises to get him to his parents is a nice touch

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I still think RE5 is a perfectly fun game and a great co-op one, beyond the standard "games are better with friends" chestnut. The bits where Chris and Sheva have different roles to fill are usually pretty fun and varied (when they're not 'one drives, one shoots') and the limited inventory implies a sort of 'class' system where you both have to specialize.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
RE Revelations 2 has a pretty interesting coop setup: one character is the gun haver, the other character is support/utility. Like they will find hidden items and collectibles, can spot enemies the other player can't, etc. I just finished it solo and had a good time, I imagine playing with a buddy would be a hoot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

WHY BONER NOW posted:

RE Revelations 2 has a pretty interesting coop setup: one character is the gun haver, the other character is support/utility. Like they will find hidden items and collectibles, can spot enemies the other player can't, etc. I just finished it solo and had a good time, I imagine playing with a buddy would be a hoot

Yeah, that one worked really well in single player, they really tuned the AI mechanics since 5. I think both would be fun as co-op, but the AI partner in 5 annoys me a lot of the time.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Oh yeah I really liked playing through that game with a friend. I always enjoy asymetry in coop games, and that one had some really good moments.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RE: Revelations 2 is honestly my favourite RE game, it just does so much right and Raid mode is much better than Mercenaries.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I want an entire game of just RE Raid Mode with a collection of greatest hits from the whole series

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

FirstAidKite posted:

I want an entire game of just RE Raid Mode with a collection of greatest hits from the whole series

Hell yes. Add every character and more series enemies, remove/change the weapon/mod grinding to something less tedious, and add in more level goal types and it would be absolutely amazing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Do I have to finish revelations 2 to unlock raid mode? I can't remember but I don't really want to play through it again

Raid mode on the switch would be rad though

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

No, though there are some character unlocks locked behind beating the story. To prevent spoilers.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 25, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Bee posted:

Its weird. Everything I hear about the characterization of the animatronics in FNAF Security Breach actually sounds pretty cool. Then everything I hear about the gameplay and story is like a deflating balloon. I almost wonder if the game'd be better as a mini movie or series of anomated vignettes.

I have no problem with it from a standpoint of story. There's definitely some questions as to the timeline, but the whole series is a JJ Abrams plot that builds newer story details atop a foundation of games released eight years ago. The problem is the game is a technical mess that should have been pushed back to April. The developers have already acknowledged that they intend to release many updates but are going to take a break first. Even then they still pushed out an update that fixed some egregious stuff during the holidays. It's just that, like Cyberpunk last year, you can fix the most laughably stupid poo poo but there is always more.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 26, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How many of the FNAF titles were strictly solo-developed? Is it going to be a hands-off Homestuck situation?

The story of the developer would make him the perfect underdog, if it weren't for his abhorrent politics. It's like if Rocky sold heroin to kids in addition to boxing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

1-4 he’s solely credited except a view voices, Sister Location has a composer and ancillary animations, everything else is an outside studio.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
He did the designing and most of the art pretty much by himself up until the past two years or so, everything from the first game to Ultimate Custom Night were built in ClickTeam Fusion, basically a great tool for building MYST Clones where you layer transparent PNGs of things happening over a background and set up hotzones to click on. 4 onwards gave the player the abiltiy to move about in a room, but it's just a pre-rendered video that plays as an interstitial between fixed locations. At a number of occasions the ClickTeam people worked with him to add features that would allow him to make games that seemed more like "real" video games and less like two-dimensional shooting galleries, and ClickTeam also handled the mobile ports.

Having reached the limits of what can be accomplished with the middleware he knows how to use, he brought in an actual developer, apparently an indie studio built by people with Pixar backgrounds, to do the VR game and this most recent one. The old games villains are mostly just PNGs of robots he made in Blender, the Unreal-based games have full models of the animatronics with detailed metal innards you can see if the camera accidentally clips through one of their heads.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 26, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

ClickTeam Fusion? That sounds like a promising tool to a novice like me. A game I've always wanted either to play or make, is one based on the Truth puzzle from Assassins Creed 2. Just point-and-click puzzles, but a creepy presentation.

Oh, uh, gently caress Scott Cawthon.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Playing Silent Hill 3 for the first time, just beat the first boss. Game is good so far (shocker). Is jerky worth using or is it kind of a trap item? So far it seems like its easy to just avoid most monsters, the bullet proof vest seems bad too.

It's also crazy how good this game looks, mid to latePS2 really was the best.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Silent Hill 3 is the loving :krad: illest no matter what anyone says

It is objectively good and I will happily and drunkenly fight anyone who says otherwise

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also so far my only deaths have been falling off the ledge trying to climb down the ladder leading to the first boss twice lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Playing Silent Hill 3 for the first time, just beat the first boss. Game is good so far (shocker). Is jerky worth using or is it kind of a trap item? So far it seems like its easy to just avoid most monsters, the bullet proof vest seems bad too.

Basically right on both counts. Jerky is kind of a trap and the vest slows you down a lot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How is Mundaun?

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

oldpainless posted:

How is Mundaun?

interesting story that doesn't make up for boring as gently caress gameplay

btw, this is coming from someone who finished medium, a mediocre/bad game

al-azad
May 28, 2009

oldpainless posted:

How is Mundaun?

I liked it quite a lot. I would compare it to Kona or something. It's more involved than a typical walking sim because you have rudimentary puzzles and some encounters but it's not full fledged survival horror like Resident Evil. Took about 8 hours to finish with some exploration and item hunting added on.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also so far my only deaths have been falling off the ledge trying to climb down the ladder leading to the first boss twice lol

The dogs are fast but can't track you fast enough to actually be a threat so don't worry at all about dropping jerky.

SH3 has bizarre instant kill gotchas that kind of took me out of it especially during the haunted house segment which was A class game design with a horrendous "chase maze" at the end before a save point. There's a notorious boss that's just an unfun damage sponge but can stun lock you easily and most of the enemies are bad and spongy but thankfully almost universally slow.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

I will say that mundaun is definitely worth watching a longplay of at like 1.5 speed though

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Started playing Control, very good. Nice creepy atmosphere.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oldpainless posted:

How is Mundaun?

It is what is best described as a very cozy horror game. It is a lovely game in a unique setting with unique enemies and you are rewarded greatly for just exploring and taking things at a leisurely pace. Definite recommend, it and In Sound Mind are 2 of the best horror games of 2021.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Mundaun was without a doubt my favorite game this year. Slow burn, bone chilling, atmospheric. It's the best A24 film of 2021. The antagonist is fantastic and there are multiple neat scenes involving him that I hadn't really seen done quite the same way in any game before. It's quite polished and doesn't have that layer of jank you might expect from similar looking games.

The best part of the game isn't the spooks or the plot IMO, but all the little details and charm that make it feel special in a pleasant sort of way that I find hard to describe. It has a whole bunch of nice bits of interactivity, including the most enjoyable time spent brewing a cup of coffee I've ever had. The cottage is so lovely and comfy I wish I could climb inside the game just to exist there for a while.

When I was a kid I would crawl into the little barn in the back of Lon Lon Ranch in zelda 64, chug down a bottle of milk both in the game and irl, then I'd leave link standing in a pile of hay while I'd curl up in a blanket on the floor and fall asleep to the sound of the soothing farm music, cows mooing, and the occasional sound of link yawning in an idle animation. I'd always hope to dream myself right into the game and hang with the farm animals. Mundaun makes me want to do the same sort of poo poo as a middle aged man, and I think that's pretty cool. :thumbsup:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

maybe I wasn't in the right mood to play it or something because this all sounds like a very different game than what I played and now I want to try it again

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Playing Mundaun made me want to have a pet goat.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I've been weirdly entertained by Security Breach. I usually hate this kind of stealth gameplay, but there was enough variety to the game that I wasn't put off at all. You can tell a bunch of stuff was cut and mechanics are missing, but just navigating the environment was a pleasure, and it tickled my explorer brain. It looked pretty great too.

Also just felt bad for Roxy.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Seems the folks who brought you Agony and Succubus have a new game called Tormentor which looks like they’re going for a Manhunt kind of thing. It does not look very good and all looks like a bunch of scripted animations.

Funniest thing though is there’s no facial animation so you have people being killed and screaming with a total closed mouth blank expression.

Also if you wanna read into it, seems whoever made it has a thing for stuffing people in lockers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Five Nights was made in Multimedia Fusion? drat that takes me back 20 years to my first game dev attempts.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I remember playing Cawthon's vaguely Christian games back in the RPG Maker 2000 days. I was one of those people telling him on forums his art was creepy.

Montague Tigg posted:

maybe I wasn't in the right mood to play it or something because this all sounds like a very different game than what I played and now I want to try it again

It is definitely a slow burn and I like that A24 comparison. Like going into Hereditary expecting Insidious or something you're probably going to be disappointed by a slow movie about a grieving cursed family.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Jerky is good against one specific monster that crawls on all fours and knocks you down and is a real pain in the rear end. It's a trap for every other monster.

Bullet Proof Vest is also kind of a trap, usually it's better to dodge attacks and even in melee, you're better off learning the timings of blocking since it can negate all damage.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

al-azad posted:

I liked it quite a lot. I would compare it to Kona or something. It's more involved than a typical walking sim because you have rudimentary puzzles and some encounters but it's not full fledged survival horror like Resident Evil. Took about 8 hours to finish with some exploration and item hunting added on.

I enjoyed Kona more than most, I think, so this comparison definitely made me want to get Mundaun.

treat posted:

When I was a kid I would crawl into the little barn in the back of Lon Lon Ranch in zelda 64, chug down a bottle of milk both in the game and irl, then I'd leave link standing in a pile of hay while I'd curl up in a blanket on the floor and fall asleep to the sound of the soothing farm music, cows mooing, and the occasional sound of link yawning in an idle animation. I'd always hope to dream myself right into the game and hang with the farm animals. Mundaun makes me want to do the same sort of poo poo as a middle aged man, and I think that's pretty cool. :thumbsup:

Holy poo poo, are you me? I did poo poo like this all the time as a kid.

(The "adult" version of this is finding a cozy spot in a game and sitting there while you smoke a bowl IRL.)

Hector Delgado posted:

Playing Mundaun made me want to have a pet dog reindeer goat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvP_I1j_6hU&t=209s
(No Mundaun spoilers in this time-stamped clip.)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I quite liked Mundaun. Its slow-paced, creeping dread horror, less of a spooky game and more of an unsettling one. Just this constant feeling that something is very wrong with this place, and the art contributes a lot to that.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
One thing I'm worried about though, is I get headaches/nausea after a while from graphics like Sludge Life. (Obra Dinn almost did it, but it got better after I changed to one of the other graphical settings.) Did anybody experience that with Mundaun?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've definitely said it before but one of my absolute favorite bits from all of mundaun is (spoilers for the endgame but it's just a quote that won't make any sense unless you have the proper context) "You'll discover that I'm not cut out for the fine arts. But I did my best."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Dead End Road is super short but I like it- it's like 75 cents on Steam right now and that's a great deal. I like the whole "I had a good idea and did that idea" thing it's got going, I guess. The only real issue I have with it is that it has this big map of routes you can take from the ritual site back to the titular Dead End Road, but most of the map is sufficiently out of the way and your cash reserves are so tight that you really can't spare the gas. Seems a shame that the dev went to the trouble, I guess? I thought the scratcher tickets might be a money failsafe like the slot machine in Deja Vu, if anybody remembers that, but no.

I vaguely remember Yahtzee made a game several years back where you're driving around the UK from town to town trying to investigate and stop a Lovecraft critter from rising- I feel like Dead End Road could be improved by either being expanded into something larger like that or by being trimmed down to a single, more focused route. As it is the large map feels out of place in an otherwise focused and small-scope game.