Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

DoombatINC posted:

I always wanted a chimney sweeping log as a kid, even though we didn't have a fireplace, I just saw a lot of ads for them on garbage daytime tv and thought they were neat :shobon:

you were correct and I wanted one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

DoombatINC posted:

I always wanted a chimney sweeping log as a kid, even though we didn't have a fireplace, I just saw a lot of ads for them on garbage daytime tv and thought they were neat :shobon:

blatman posted:

you were correct and I wanted one too

Whats with everyone here wanting to dickinson street urchins to stave to death.

Just hire your local and tip them well drat it!

dr_rat has issued a correction as of 10:49 on Dec 23, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Elephanthead posted:

whoops heat pumps don’t work that cold

Lmao I have a heat pump. I'm digging out all the long underwear now. Gonna be a loving cold week

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

climate proof PNW

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
What should one do in the PNW to prep the flimsy house for this? I don't think it was built for this

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Are your pipes wrapped? Water damage is the real poo poo as long as you promise not to burn it down for warmth.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What should one do in the PNW to prep the flimsy house for this? I don't think it was built for this

Pray

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
A few extra towels here and there, it feels really funny to do. The dog is wondering what I'm doing again. I've never been in the negatives... NO DEAL. I reserve the right to burn my rental down for short term warmth gains I'm sure it's in the lease somewhere

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Lol. There's no way my heat pump survives single digits. Had to have it fixed during the Heat Dome, then just now when temps dipped a little.

Remember me how I lived: a bad poster.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Lol, the low for Sunday/Monday keeps creeping down a degree every few hours

Only registered members can see post attachments!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

SirPablo posted:

America, a land of contrasts.

Haha, its a tide pod

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

realtalk the nuclear option for saving your pipes is turning the water off at the meter the day before, draining the system and leaving all the faucets open for the duration. Much better to be inconvenienced for a day or two than have a break that you will not be able to get anyone to fix for weeks.

If you've got heat pump heat yeah it's not gonna do poo poo and the backup resistance coils won't do much in a central system because their output will be spread throughout the house. Pick one room, one without external walls if possible, and make your stand there. Shut the central HVAC off entirely and pin your hopes on a single space heater. Hang blankets over the windows and walls, move all your rugs into that room to insulate the floor, cram towels in the door gaps, open the door to that room as little as possible.

shame on an IGA has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Dec 23, 2021

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

realtalk the nuclear option for saving your pipes is turning the water off at the meter the day before, draining the system and leaving all the faucets open for the duration. Much better to be inconvenienced for a day or two than have a break that you will not be able to get anyone to fix for weeks.

You can also just open all of your taps a little bit to allow a trickle through to keep the water moving in the pipes

But yeah nuclear option's gonna be more robust

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Flowing water freezes just fine and the trickle strategy only works for minor night-time cold spells by providing space for ice to expand in a partially frozen pipe when it's gonna thaw the next morning. You can leave it wide open and it's still gonna burst if it's cold enough for long enough if the water upstream keeps coming.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

shame on an IGA posted:

Flowing water freezes just fine and the trickle strategy only works for minor night-time cold spells by providing space for ice to expand in a partially frozen pipe when it's gonna thaw the next morning. You can leave it wide open and it's still gonna burst if it's cold enough for long enough if the water upstream keeps coming.

It's crazy that people climb those things with ice axes

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I had a teacher who did that and told this great story about how he caught some water dripping off some ancient frozen glacier he was climbing and inside the water was some prehistoric tapeworm and he almost died

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I had a teacher who did that and told this great story about how he caught some water dripping off some ancient frozen glacier he was climbing and inside the water was some prehistoric tapeworm and he almost died

Wait, so did he DRINK the water? And then get that sweet, sweet prehistoric diet plan for real?

Or did he notice something in the water and stop before the first part :catstare:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Yeah he figured how could ancient frozen water be bad and well lol

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

will texa$$ freeze again this year?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
it was 81 degrees in eastern Oklahoma today

the average high in my town on December 24, with a sample size of over a century, is 47

all the stores have seasonal winter poo poo like coats and ice scrapers out and everyone's going around in shorts and T-shirts, it's absurd. all the grass is still green, it looks and feels like early September.

e: the low tonight is going to be 8F warmer than the average high

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 03:05 on Dec 25, 2021

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Checking on from the inland northwest. Going to be rather cold for a pretty long time!

I think all my water is underground. Meaning there aren't any pipes or water paths exposed to the outside except frost free heads. I understand the depth that pipes are buried is dictated by code based on the frost depth which is how far down into the soil freezes, based off of historical records, a function of worst case scenario as recorded temperature and duration. So. Lol. Lmao.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

shame on an IGA posted:

Burst pipes are mostly from the pressure between the ice and the closed faucet. Keeping the faucet open relieves the pressure and generally stops it from bursting. You don't usually get pipes bursting from the ice expanding outward inside the pipe, it's the water that does it.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Paradoxish posted:

Burst pipes are mostly from the pressure between the ice and the closed faucet. Keeping the faucet open relieves the pressure and generally stops it from bursting. You don't usually get pipes bursting from the ice expanding outward inside the pipe, it's the water that does it.

Not...yet

Also this seems real wrong. Pipes are specifically designed to withstand some amount of fluid pressure for their functional life. Like, before corrosion takes them.

You're saying, that between some ice block in a pipe, and a faucet (or even the other way, from the supply to the ice blockage) that the liquid pressure is so great, by means presumably from the expansion caused by the ice taking up more volume than liquid water...that's what burst the pipes? I guess I could see that from a huge length of frozen pipe.

That seems very conjecturous and wrong though. And is probably a bullshit chapter in a David Frome book

Basic Poster has issued a correction as of 04:20 on Dec 25, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Basic Poster posted:

Not...yet

Also this seems real wrong. Pipes are specifically designed to withstand some amount of fluid pressure for their functional life. Like, before corrosion takes them.

You're saying, that between some ice block in a pipe, and a faucet (or even the other way, from the supply to the ice blockage) that the liquid pressure is so great, by means presumably from the expansion caused by the ice taking up more volume than liquid water...that's what burst the pipes? I guess I could see that from a huge length of frozen pipe.

That seems very conjecturous and wrong though. And is probably a bullshit chapter in a David Frome book

It is real wrong.

Keeping the faucet open means the water keeps moving, thus removing water that could freeze once the freezing starts. Plus, ground tends to cool down slower the deeper it is, and it keeps bringing in water from deeper down.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Basic Poster posted:

Not...yet

I think the pressure exerted on any particular cross section of pipe is going to be the same regardless of the length, more or less. I don't know about the chemical-mechanical mechanics of water freezing in an enclosed volume, but it doesn't seem unreasonable for it to break parts of pipes that are particularly worn or degraded.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The water in the pipes underground stays above freezing. By letting your faucets trickle you are constantly replacing the water in your pipes with new above freezing water.

Exactly how deep is deep enough not to freeze varies from region to region. Hope your local building codes took into account once in a century cold snaps.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Do your water pipes come in to your house from the foundation or through an exterior wall? Figure that part out first.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Wisest Moron posted:

I think the pressure exerted on any particular cross section of pipe is going to be the same regardless of the length, more or less. I don't know about the chemical-mechanical mechanics of water freezing in an enclosed volume, but it doesn't seem unreasonable for it to break parts of pipes that are particularly worn or degraded.

Freezing water inside the pipes can absolutely crack them, even if they're in good condition. Water turning into ice expands a lot. You can test this in your freezer at any time.

It's more the why on keeping a faucet open.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

1/2" schedule 40 PVC water pipe is rated for 600psi. For the expansive force of ice I'm seeing numbers running from 20,000 psi and up.

VV-- The below also worked in Pittsburgh.

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 07:28 on Dec 25, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The water main should run underground under your footing then up.

Your pipes aren't at risk of freezing unless the air or ground around them go below freezing.

If your whole house stays above freezing don't worry.

If it does drop below freezing open all the taps in the below freezing rooms so they're a pencil diameter trickle. This will reduce the chance of your pipes freezing. At that point you might consider shutting off the water at the street, if you can.

There's only risk of the pipes buried in the ground freezing if the frost line drops that low and it's going to take weeks, maybe months, of extreme cold for that to happen. We're talking extreme cold by Winnipeg standards.

Source: a Winnipegger.

Glhf being that cold is a nothingburger if your house is designed for it but sounds like PNW houses aren't so you're all in for interesting times. Hope it warms up soon.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Guess I started a real pipe fitting.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Basic Poster posted:

Not...yet

Water expands when it freezes unlike a lot of stuff that shrinks when it freezes due to the abnormal non symmetrical shapes of the water crystals fitting together.

Water also does not compress and all the expansion force goes to things that will absorb force.

You're vastly underestimating the power of freezing water.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Considering it's supposed to be close to 70 here today, making it about 80 inside, I told my roommate she could run the A/C today

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

single digit Fahrenheit prooobably won't freeze pipes if your house is over 55°F but also infrastructure here is built for that eventuality so idk

my pipes seized up during last winter's ten days at -10°F but nothing burst- it also wrecked my car battery, so I had to walk to the conoco station to get water. It sucked! If you gotta walk around in this, be sure to eat lots of oatmeal, or some other carb/protein/vitamin/calorie-rich rib-sticking food- you're gonna be burning a lot of energy just staying warm and you want something that isn't too complicated to digest

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
not the pipe chat I was hoping for

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

500excf type r posted:

Water expands when it freezes unlike a lot of stuff that shrinks when it freezes due to the abnormal non symmetrical shapes of the water crystals fitting together.

Water also does not compress and all the expansion force goes to things that will absorb force.

You're vastly underestimating the power of freezing water.

Obviously guy.

I'm questioning the notion that frozen water dozen freeze pipes, and that liquid back pressure does.

Glad you typed that though.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Mister Bates posted:

it was 81 degrees in eastern Oklahoma today

the average high in my town on December 24, with a sample size of over a century, is 47

all the stores have seasonal winter poo poo like coats and ice scrapers out and everyone's going around in shorts and T-shirts, it's absurd. all the grass is still green, it looks and feels like early September.

e: the low tonight is going to be 8F warmer than the average high

it was 75 in KC yesterday. I took the dog for a long walk wearing only a short sleeved shirt (well I mean I had pants on and shoes and stuff too)

the last time I could go outside in short sleeves on Christmas Eve was when I spent christmas in San Diego lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Basic Poster posted:

Obviously guy.

I'm questioning the notion that frozen water dozen freeze pipes, and that liquid back pressure does.

Glad you typed that though.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. It's not liquid backpressure literally bursting the pipe, it's the pressure of the water on the faucet side trapping freezing water in the center of the ice plug. Water doesn't freeze uniformly. It's going to freeze on the outer surface of the pipe first, just like it freezes on the outer edges of ice cubes in an ice cube tray. You can even get spikes in ice cube trays from the ice pushing water through the unfrozen portion of the surface.

I've literally had to thaw sections of frozen pipe several feet long with no visible expansion or damage because the frozen plug is moving "up" the pipe toward the open faucet. Meanwhile, with a closed faucet your pipe will probably burst before the plug even freezes all the way through.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

it was 75 in KC yesterday. I took the dog for a long walk wearing only a short sleeved shirt (well I mean I had pants on and shoes and stuff too)

the last time I could go outside in short sleeves on Christmas Eve was when I spent christmas in San Diego lol

80 in ozarkland, 65 today

KC got a weird 65er Xmas somewhere in the 10s, I had a beer in shorts outside

unsettling comfort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Peanut Butler posted:

80 in ozarkland, 65 today

KC got a weird 65er Xmas somewhere in the 10s, I had a beer in shorts outside

unsettling comfort