Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

OP from last posts brother could have given her family a nice gift like this OPs grandma

I (27 f) am thinking about cutting my grandma(65 f) out of my 8 month old son's life completely after she knowingly exposed us to COVID.

quote:

So to give a little background, ever since my son (let's call him M) was born, I have been battling with my anti vax, super conservative grandma about COVID. She refused to get vaccinated despite our pleas since she is not in great health herself. At the guidance of our pediatrician, my husband (30 m) and I took the stance that she couldn't see M until she got vaccinated - which she refused to do. Once he was a little bigger at about 6 months, I briefly let her see him with a mask on. This has obviously been a big point of contention in our relationship.

After being constantly guilt tripped, we finally gave in and on Sunday we brought M to a family gathering with my grandma. Part of why I agreed is so that M could meet his great great grandma (92 f) before she passes, since it not very often you have 5 generations alive at once.

Well on Tuesday we get news that my grandma has COVID. Apparently her sister wasn't at the party due to having COVID and my grandma had knowingly been exposed to it by being around her when she was contagious. Here is the kicker, rather than letting us know what was going on so we could all make informed decisions about attending the party, she lied and told us all my aunt had a sinus infection. She said she lied cause they didn't want to freak my great grandma out (but didn't think about her getting sick??)

Needless to say, we were all exposed to COVID.

Now I have it, my parents have it, my sister has it, my son has it, and my uncle is in the hospital. All Christmas plans have been canceled for the week.

My son's first Christmas is ruined and now I get to spend the holiday sick trying to care for a sick baby. Christmas is my favorite. Too say I am angry is an understatement.

All that said, I really don't see how I get past this with my grandma. I honesty think our relationship is ruined. I am thinking of cutting her out of her lives completely, but not sure if I am being too harsh here? Would love some unbiased input from people not so close to the situation.

TLDR; my grandma gave the whole family COVID after being knowingly exposed to it and lying.

(Half the responses so far are idiot Redditors saying covid isn't a big deal and she's overreacting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"No big deal. Sorry about your uncle in the hospital btw but it's just Covid stop being hysterical"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

[b][AITA for not letting my mom use my grandmother's moniker for her grandkids/b]

quote:

This is not recent. My mom is known as the O.G Karen by everyone in her life (I did not assign her that title, but I do agree) I love her in what feels like a biological way, but we tend to not get along due to the fact that she doesn't like to talk about anything that sheds her in anything but a perfect light. She was a highly neglectful parent, who would put me down about everything, never supported me, didn't teach me the basics, would take credit for my successes to anyone who would listen, made me looks like a monster to anyone who would listen and so much more. The only time she was there for me, was when it was extreme situations, in a very Savior complex way.

As an adult I understand things differently and have learned to cope with the situation. But there were points where I've tried to talk to her about some of the stuff, to heal and grow. And I'm always met with "I don't want to talk about it." (Example: I got my period when I was 10, I didn't know what it was or why it was happening - my mom had never prepared me for it. She only had tampons in the house, it was an awful experience). I as an adult couldn't understand why I didn't know what a period was. So I asked her 20 years later. Thinking, maybe, she was taken by surprise and thought I'd get it later, or something similar, but instead, she refused to talk about it and I have no closure other than accepting she's just a bizarre human being).

My grandma on the other hand, was incredible. She passed when I was 16. She was thoughtful, considerate and had this ability to communicate difficult things in the most non-shaming way. I adored her and had a great relationship with her. We had a nickname for her that my brother had called her when he was a baby (think Gam gam, but not lol).

When I started to have kids, my mom wanted to be called by my grandmother's nickname. I told her no. That it was specific and unique to her, and that she should choose another name if she didn't like being called Grandma.

It's also worth noting that she does not have a good relationship with anyone in her life, including her grandkids. This is because she's unfortunately intolerable for more than a short burst.

My mom was awful to my and about grandma, and truthfully, if they had a better relationship and/or of she was a better mother, I'd probably not have had an issue, but considering how much my grandmother meant to me, I really didn't feel comfortable.

So Reddit, AITA?
I want a reality check here. I'm a Boomer, and my grandparents were Gramma [Momsname] and Gramma [Dadsname]. When I had kids, their grandparents followed the same pattern (where Momsname is Mom's maiden name and so on.) My husband's family had a grandmother who was called by the nickname my husband gave her when he was a toddler, and his other grandmother was always called "Nanny" by pretty much everybody but her children.

How recent is the idea of picking a grandparent name for each grandparent? Or is it subcultural, or has everybody else always been doing it?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mx. posted:

OP from last posts brother could have given her family a nice gift like this OPs grandma

I (27 f) am thinking about cutting my grandma(65 f) out of my 8 month old son's life completely after she knowingly exposed us to COVID.

(Half the responses so far are idiot Redditors saying covid isn't a big deal and she's overreacting)

grandma is going to have a hell of a time explaining this to saint Peter a few days to weeks from now

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I demand the driver sit in the back seat.

I see you own tesla stock.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Now this is more of an Xmas gift I can get behind.

AITA for being mad that my son and DIL made an " Affair Reconciliation" announcement at Christmas Eve dinner?

Now THIS is the quality content I come here to read.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

[b][AITA for not letting my mom use my grandmother's moniker for her grandkids/b]

I want a reality check here. I'm a Boomer, and my grandparents were Gramma [Momsname] and Gramma [Dadsname]. When I had kids, their grandparents followed the same pattern (where Momsname is Mom's maiden name and so on.) My husband's family had a grandmother who was called by the nickname my husband gave her when he was a toddler, and his other grandmother was always called "Nanny" by pretty much everybody but her children.

How recent is the idea of picking a grandparent name for each grandparent? Or is it subcultural, or has everybody else always been doing it?

In my family it's always been a lot of the oldest kid/their parents kinda settling on something. My off the boat from italy grandmother was "gram", my wife's not off the boat but 100% italian mother in law ended up "nonna". My father in law almost ended up being called "beanpot" because that's how it came out from my oldest niece when she first started talking but he put an end to that by teaching her how to say "grandpop".

I don't think anyone had any plans and if they did they certainly weren't to take over what any of the kids called someone else.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Dunno how common it is but we called one of my grandmas NeNe (nee nee)

Also my nephews were handing out presents tonight and we had to tell them that Karen was grandma’s name because they just call my mother grandma

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was born in the early 80s. My dad's folks (Chicago Midwest people,, second gen immigrants, for data points) were just Grandma and Grandpa. My mom's parents (southerners, sort of, and daughters of the American revolution level roots) wanted to be Granny and Papa Firstname, she because either it was traditional or she thought it was funny, he because he felt he was too young to be called Grandpa - he was in his 50s, I believe. That's how it was told to me, anyway, it might have just been a disambiguation thing, we lived next door to my dad's folks, and my maternal grandparents were way far away.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This one has trauma related to her mom vs grandmother, so it's extremely situational. She didn't want to her her lovely-rear end mom called the same thing as her beloved grandmother.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Now this is more of an Xmas gift I can get behind.

AITA for being mad that my son and DIL made an " Affair Reconciliation" announcement at Christmas Eve dinner?

Apparently the Nephew that cussed her out is especially great, because in the comments it came out that since the kids were upset with all the adults screaming and such, he got bright overalls from the barn and a fake beard to pretend to be "Redneck Santa" for them to calm down

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

On my dad's side it was grandma and grandpa because :shrug:

Now my mom's side was Grandfather and Grandmother and god help you if you call her grandma. She is NOT some low class slob and you will show her respect by calling her Grandmother. Its her strong Prussian heritage that made her that way is her excuse.

No I don't know her views on World War 1 and I'm just now realizing I should have asked her.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for refusing to make Christmas Morning breakfast for my family?

OP posted:

Edit: I ended up getting all my stuff and heading to a nearby friend (my house is a couple hours away.) We made the Christmas bread together, and drank a bit so it’s not my best Christmas Bread

Edit 2: I’ve had a couple questions about how long I was at the store and if anyone else brought anything. I was gone maybe an hour, or an hour and 15 min? They’re pretty far from a good grocery store and the first place I went to didn’t have any good cherries. Everyone usually brings an appetizer/side or dessert, so there were also other desserts there. And I’ve been messaging a cousin who got there around when I got back, and it appears there were 12 people plus my parents there when I got back, I guess I was a bit distracted. Thanks for all the holiday wishes!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Miserable Maid posted:

Apparently the Nephew that cussed her out is especially great, because in the comments it came out that since the kids were upset with all the adults screaming and such, he got bright overalls from the barn and a fake beard to pretend to be "Redneck Santa" for them to calm down

gently caress yeah :lol:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When my nephew's were born, my sister's (now ex) in-laws told our mum which grandparent names they wanted to be called by - Nana and Pop, I think. Mum was like whatever.

She ended up with a cool made-up name given to her by the nephews and which our kids use too.

My in-laws are Atuk and Atuk Jantan, because my wife grew up Malaysia. Sometimes Atuk Jantan is Atuk Buncit, but not to his face.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My sister's kids have five grandmothers (their dad's mom, their dad's stepmom, their mom's mom, their mom's stepmom, and their mom's other stepmom) (mom gay so what) and let me tell you, there was some hot competition over monikers when my first niece was born.

But also everyone worked out something that worked for them because even the craziest of them was able to compromise to some degree and also recognize that it was gonna be hard without resorting to "Nana (name)" a few times, so they worked it out.

There's a picture from the wedding of all five of them carrying my brother in law, it's great.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I just referred to my grandmothers as grandma X last name or Y last name to refer to one or the other

I.e. grandma lobe vs grandma gyrus

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Grandma X is the generic brand.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like its a very boomer trait to not want to be called Grandma/Grandpa [NAME].

That said chinese has different names for everyone based on their familial relation to you so not an issue, if you didn't want this name shouldn't have been the sister of the mother of the mother of the child in question

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Really context dependent. My grandmothers were both Grandma <name>, but my mon's dad was Grandpa and my dad's dad was Granddad. I'd use the names with those sometimes but they weren't needed. I'm sure some folks try to enforce a system, and others it's just what winds up sticking.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Not my kids personally, but my buddy's kids call one kitty grandma and the other puppy grandma, because kitty grandma has a few cats following her wherever she goes and puppy grandma had a couple of yorkies

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
My moms side it was just grandma and grandpa but in my fafs side it was gammy and bitchtits idk 🤷‍♂️

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to drink with my in-laws while they open carry?

quote:

I'm currently staying at my in-laws for Christmas. Tonight, I told my wife and MIL that I refuse to spend time around anyone who's both armed and drinking. I went downstairs and stayed there until my wife came down to confirm they had all put their guns away. I went back up to play cards and be friendly. A couple rounds of drinks later, my BIL stands up, and naturally he's still wearing his gun.

I walked out of the room and when my wife came to find me, she told me they demanded we clean up our language and stop swearing. I told her loudly enough for everyone to hear, "I'm not playing stupid loving games with them anymore."

So Reddit, AITA for making culturally insensitive demands in their house, or is my fear and discomfort reasonable?

They need the guns in case it turns out Santa isn't white

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Knormal posted:

I think this version is more appropriate for this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4vktLutpiY

Despite the laugh track I'd really like to appreciate how well done this is. Good content, cheers.

It's also interesting that ScarJo keeps falling into sexual roles, she's not a bad actress yet ___? gently caress, even Ana De Arma's (a person whose career was based on being topless) biggest & most recent role yet in Knives Out involved none of that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not taking the blame for my cousin eating one of my sugar break strips and telling him maybe he shouldn’t be a thief

quote:

I know this is a ridiculous conflict to have between my cousin (27m) and me (25m) but here goes. My cousins and their SOs decided to do a tourist holiday weekend in the city I live and work in so I offered to host the Christmas dinners for the weekend at my flat.

I’ve gained weight since dating my boyfriend and am trying to loose it so I’ve been taking Sugar Break strips which block the taste and craving or sugar. They look and taste like Listerine strips. as per the directions, I take one after every meal and whenever I have cravings. I had just taken one and usually, I put them back in a kitchen drawer. But today, I had gotten distracted with helping clean up and apparently just sat them ok the counter.

I hadn’t realised this until as we are eating dessert, one of my cousins began to get frantic started quickly eating the various sweets I had out and then got up and started eating some of the dinner that had yet been put away. His GF asked what was wrong and he said, “wtf I can’t taste any of the sweets but I can taste the food.”

I got up and noticed that the sugar break strips were sitting out and asked if he had ingested any of it. He said he did and asked why that mattered? I explained what they were. That made him angry. Someone it was MY fault that HE had taken a strip. He said I shouldn’t be leaving “poo poo like that out”. I told him maybe he shouldn’t be a thief and take things that belong to him. He got angrier and made his GF, my other two cousins and their SOs Uber back to the hotel with him. He is now refusing to come back for tomorrows dinner and is making his siblings not come either. I tried to tell him he is overreacting but he told me I was in the wrong and need to admit it and apologise. He STILL can’t taste sugar and thinks its a permanent thing now, even though I told him it’s not. He claims I have poisoned him and one of my others cousins claims he is tallking about going to the ER if the taste of sugar doesn’t return soon. He has since stopped responding. His siblings seem to be taking his side. I truly don’t think I’m in the wrong but Aita?

Edit: Since, people keep mentioning calling him a thief may be extreme, I only really called him that because he was being extreme. While I would have been a little annoyed anyways (since they are kind of expensive) I would not have called him out or anything. It was because of his victim mentality I made the thief comment.

The Reddit thread turned into a commercial for Sugar Break Strips...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I only ever knew my dad's side of the family. My great-grandma was Granny, grandma/her daughter was Granny (Nickname), as she never used her actual first name outside of paperwork, and had a brother who I'm named after. My mom goes by Mimi for my nieces. That's my two cents :tipshat:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Serephina posted:

Despite the laugh track I'd really like to appreciate how well done this is. Good content, cheers.

It's also interesting that ScarJo keeps falling into sexual roles, she's not a bad actress yet ___? gently caress, even Ana De Arma's (a person whose career was based on being topless) biggest & most recent role yet in Knives Out involved none of that.

is it interesting though?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for asking my ex for her cookie recipe?

quote:

Fake names for Reddit. Me (38) and my wife, Shannon(36) divorced 6 months ago. This is my first Christmas without her. When we first started dating she asked me what my favorite cookie was, its a Snickerdoodle (cinnamon sugar cookie). Shannon put her own twist on it and made them every year for Christmas. This year I asked my fiance, Brenda (22) to make some cookies for Christmas, since its just not the same without them, plus this will be the first time she meets my parents, who are still friendly with Shannon. Honestly Brendas snickerdoodles were meh. Kind of dry and bland. I mentioned asking Shannon for her recipe and Brenda acted like i had offended her just by mentioning it. I just want her to make a good impression. They weren't awful, (just not great) but she threw them away. Since she threw them away, I thought she was on board for me getting the recipe so she can remake them.

I texted Shannon for the Recipe but she didn't respond, but it said she read it. So I went to her house to ask her for the recipe. She answered the door but didn't invite me in! Which I thought was very rude. She asked me what I was doing there, as it wasn't my night with daughter (12). I saw my daughter in the hallway behind her. I asked if I could have her recipe for the cookies so that Brenda could make the cookies for when my parents come in for Christmas. She actually laughed at me! She told me that "no I could not have the recipe because its a FAMILY recipe and we aren't family anymore" and "I lost the right to her cookies when we divorced". I reminded her that we are still family because we share a daughter, and that She was the one who asked for a divorce. My daughter rolled her eyes and Shannon shut the door in my face before I could say anything else.

I went home and vented to Brenda about how rude my ex wife was , but Brenda yelled at me that she "cant believe I actually went over there" and "i dont appreciate her" and "i need to get over my ex" [i am]

Then my mom called me and told me to leave Shannon alone unless it has something to do with our daughter. She then informed me that they were having Christmas eve dinner at Shannons and going to midnight mass with them. (My daughter is having Christmas dinner with us).

I dont think I did anything wrong, but everyone is acting like i did some terrible thing. So AITA for asking for a simple recipe?

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Evil Willow posted:

Just marrying a 22 year old at 38 after getting divorced 6 months ago.

e: And he has a 12 year old! Tell me this guy didn't cheat on his wife with his newer model fiancé.

TK8325 fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 25, 2021

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Evil Willow posted:

I'd like to thank this guy for painting us such a detailed and robust picture of just what a huge gaping rear end in a top hat he is. Imagine posting this and thinking it makes you look good, lol.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Grandma X is the generic brand.

Gives new meaning to X Gon' Give It to Ya.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I (8M) saw mommy (39F) kissing Santa Claus (1751M)

This was definitely deleted immediately by the Reddit mods right

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Grape posted:

I seriously disagree considering he had a designated "PRETTY SURE they were legal I think" sentence lmao.
He knows what he was doing.

ah you're right. perhaps it is I who is the oblivious one

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I saw Daddy kissing Santa Claus is the superior version

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Barudak posted:

I feel like its a very boomer trait to not want to be called Grandma/Grandpa [NAME].

It's this. I was out with my mom and her friends recently and they were all talking about their future grandchildren and how they can't possibly be old enough to be called Grandma, so all of them have some weird workaround. Then they try to get the baby to pronounce it and it always turns into some variety of Gramma/Nana anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One person in my family tried to do the arabic naming thing for her grandchild and her own mother who is still alive is like "you don't speak Arabic and I do and Grandma is what they'll call you"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I wonder why she divorced him. As others my bets are he cheated. But 100% he was lovely somehow and she had enough.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I mean, my surviving grandma's name is Pickles, and has been for longer than I've been alive because she made really good pickled onions. My other side was just Grandma and Granddad :shrug:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I had six grandparents growing up because of divorces and remarriages and they all had a specific name: Grandpa, Nan, Grandma, Opapa, Granddad and Momo. But as far as I can tell now thinking about it, that wasn’t actually planned in any systemic way; they just sort of organically sorted into those names. It helped that a lot of them were from different ethnic backgrounds and so could fall back on their own version of [grandparent].

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

kalel posted:

This was definitely deleted immediately by the Reddit mods right

I dunno if anyone actually posted it to Reddit, I just saw a tweet suggesting it and thought it’d make a nice “merry Christmas, thread” post. Probably it would be.

I have a bilingual family so I’d just refer to my grandparents in their respective languages, and the Danish names for grandparents are like dadmom and mommom, so no confusion there. The Faroese side has random identifiers like grandpa John or grandma [hometown]. Whatever is easy for the grandkids to say is what ends up sticking IME.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

quote:

She accused my brother of doing something so vile that it makes me sick to think about it (It was not S/A)

I know what it means but I like to think she wants to reassure us that the uncle though vile is at least mercifully not a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Nobody gets to pick their own nickname, these are the rules.