Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ULL NEVER RID ME posted:

taking a selfie

i sent you my snoot pls respond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Is there a way to make my dog more assertive to my roommates dog? Not always, but sometimes rm's dog will eat her food. Personality wise my dog isn't as food motivated but my rm's dog would basically be a food influencer, loves to eat, watches the humans cooking and eating. Doesn't play with toys. My dog has whined once or twice to get her to stop eating my dogs food but I basically have to do it.

I've started to put treats in my dogs plushies, I'm not used to dogs taking care of their property. When I fostered dogs they usually murdered the plush and I like it. So I need to encourage my dog to tear it up. And now rm's dog will steal the plush. I will give her one too but she's so much more efficient at eating she steals the other toy.

ANYWAYS can I make my dog more bold or less of a beta

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Is there a way to make my dog more assertive to my roommates dog? Not always, but sometimes rm's dog will eat her food. Personality wise my dog isn't as food motivated but my rm's dog would basically be a food influencer, loves to eat, watches the humans cooking and eating. Doesn't play with toys. My dog has whined once or twice to get her to stop eating my dogs food but I basically have to do it.

I've started to put treats in my dogs plushies, I'm not used to dogs taking care of their property. When I fostered dogs they usually murdered the plush and I like it. So I need to encourage my dog to tear it up. And now rm's dog will steal the plush. I will give her one too but she's so much more efficient at eating she steals the other toy.

The short answer is basically no. There are things that can be done but it risks aggression so I would not advise it. The best thing would be to separate the dogs at meal time and to have your rm train their dog not to go after your dogs food (a much easier plan than what you suggest)

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Goodpancakes posted:

Well my nightmare happened. Took my dog for a walk and a loose pitbull loomed out of the darkness. Off leash, no tags, went right for my dogs neck and got him. I buried my foot in his diaphragm and he let go. I was able to keep between my dog and the pit while I let the dog know what I thought of him. Eventually a young woman ran out to get her dog, followed by a man who apologized profusely. I was high on adrenaline so I yelled that the dog was a menace to this guy. I'm a huge guy so I'm sure I scared this dood shitless. Didn't break the skin on my dog, and he was shook up but seems okay. Intense night

Reading about a pitbull just gives me an excuse to share this again.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

What the hell?

No, just separate the drat dogs at mealtime instead of instigating a fight.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Hey thread, do y'all want a new title because :lol:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RoboRodent posted:

I'd take it, it's an incredible line

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
First thing I heard after waking up this morning was my puppy going GLORK, GLORK, GLORK :(

He puked 4 times, nothing in his vomit that pointed at him eating anything suspicious overnight. Gonna let his stomach rest a bit then try giving him some water/food and hope he keeps it down :(

RoboRodent posted:

lmfao hell yes

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

First thing I heard after waking up this morning was my puppy going GLORK, GLORK, GLORK :(

He puked 4 times, nothing in his vomit that pointed at him eating anything suspicious overnight. Gonna let his stomach rest a bit then try giving him some water/food and hope he keeps it down :(

has there ever been a puppy that has not done this for seemingly no reason

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

In Jarvis's case, it tends to happen when he gets over hungry. It's usually foamy saliva and sometimes a bit of bile when it's that. I give him a little snack, let his tummy settle, and then he's fine.

It happened more often when he was a much puppier puppy, and he'd forget to eat during the day. He'd wake up a bit early and do that. I'd take him potty, give him a little snack, and he'd pass out again til a more reasonable time in the morning.

I'm just happy he's not a grazer. I can give him his food, and if he plows through it, I give him a little more. Most of the time he ignores it or takes a couple of bites and walks away. I definitely like that better than having to take the food away so he doesn't overstuff himself all day like a lot of my friends' dogs.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I am having to crate train my 2 year old in preparation of him being boarded for a long weekend coming up in February. This is mostly okay - he's fine with getting into the crate at night when prompted and generally goes right to sleep when we do around midnight. The problem is that come 5 or 6 he wakes up and starts whining + barking with alarming volume and frequency. I know this is not a peeing thing - he refuses to go and just wants to hang out and doze with us until we get up around 8.

To address this, whenever he starts whining and I can't sleep, I'll move to the living room where his crate is and just sit there without acknowledging him. Come 7:30 when my alarm goes off I actually let him out, walk him, etc. I'm hoping he'll associate getting up with that alarm instead of whatever primal influence has made him such an early riser. Any advice, though? He calms right down when I go into the living room, but I'm worried I'm just rewarding him for throwing a fit first thing in the morning.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Fuckface wishes you and yours a happy holidays

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brisket is on steroids and that means 3am potty breaks every day now. Were live on the fifth floor. Help.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Warbird posted:

:allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Warbird posted:

Merry Christmas, Fuckface

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Warbird posted:

he looks so innocent..

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I loving hate him so much.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pongo was a very good boy for pictures with the kids. Merry Christmas!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

devmd01 posted:

Pongo was a very good boy for pictures with the kids. Merry Christmas!

I guess we’ve answered the question of how a dog would wear pants

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl posted:

Brisket is on steroids and that means 3am potty breaks every day now. Were live on the fifth floor. Help.

UPDATE: Dog developed fever and was taken to the Emergency Vet on christmas. His present was a whole lot of pills as Vet 2 got annoyed that Vet 1 thought his infection was done and now we're treating maybe pnemonia.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

My dog is very concerned about Christmas dinner

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Does anyone have their dog on milk thistle supplement for liver support, are there any good affordable (+trustworthy) sites out there that sell it? Bought the first bottle from petwellbeing at the vet's recommendation, but at about $60 per 4oz, yeesh. I'm not even sure how long my idiot will continue to eat food soaked in it, he's hesitant of it after a couple tries. A pill would probably be easier but I don't know how well regulated this kind of stuff is to just pop onto Amazon for it.

Mr. Boogalow
Jul 7, 2007

Like a puppet on a string, like a monkey on a swing.
Anyone have advice for moving with a recent (6 mos ago) rescue dog? I'm boarding him for a few days while the move happens, but I want to make the transition as easy as I can for him. He's been through a lot before he came home with me, and I didn't expect to be moving so soon after adopting him.

Pup tax:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Sorry I don't have any advice, but he is gorgeous. Look at that model pose in the second pic.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hi fellow goons I got this puppy today:

Her name is Mollie :)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That's an adorable puppy!

One of my coworkers is helping out her sister by watching their brand new litter

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Thanks! She is very cute.

I am not sure I could handle that much pup action after today's events!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Hi fellow goons I got this puppy today:

Her name is Mollie :)

Hi Mollie!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I am aware dogs should not have alliums, but how bad are they in terms of potency?

I end up making a lot of chicken stock and I want to give the remaining chicken scraps to my dog, maybe 50g of chicken a day (he's 45KG). The stock has been made with 1-2 chicken carcasses and has one small onion and two small cloves of garlic. Normally it is all discarded, but he's always so interested and some scraps of the chicken would make his meals more interesting if it's not going to be a problem.

For reference, this is my dog.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The chicken meat is probably fine. I wouldn’t give him a lot of the stock itself just out of caution. None of the cooked bones of course.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks - I'd be carefully picking it off the bones since I figured they could be sharp. No way he's getting the stock. That's all for me.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I read somewhere that garlic causes poisoning symptoms at a dose of 5 grams per kg of live weight. Yellow onion is less strong and you need 15-20 grams per kg to see symptoms. So your 45 kg pooch would need to eat nearly a quarter kilogram of garlic or close to three quarter kilos of yellow onion to really be affected! Obviously a little bit of chicken stock is not going to have that much onion in it.

Anyway I'd be careful not to give it to him every day, in case it builds up in the body or something. But with big dogs it's not a realistic issue based on these numbers. My 5 kg midget on the other hand, I'll have to be careful not to breathe at her after eating garlic bread.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Nenonen posted:

Anyway I'd be careful not to give it to him every day, in case it builds up in the body or something.

This is my main concern, since I have enough to be giving him about 50g of the chicken every day. Also if he gets used to having it in his food I imagine he'll become more fussy should we withdraw it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The piglet and I tried so many new things in 2021 and can’t wait to try even more in 2022. I hope you’re all having fun with your dogs too, goons :3:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Chop Chop is one of the weirdest pups I've had in that he has no reaction whatsoever to "potty" or "outside." Every other dog I've had would at LEAST understand that potty meant outside time and would get real excited for that even if they didn't have to actually potty. The dogs I've had that didn't go apeshit for outside time would at least confirm if they had to potty by chuffing, or woofing, or getting excited and going to the door, or sniffing at their leash, or SOMETHING

When I ask Chop Chop if he wants to go outside? loving nothing. He just stares at me. Even when I know for a fact that he has to pee or poop. His only signals that he has to potty are:
  • If I'm in the same room as him and the leash/front door, and I'm looking at him, he will sniff the leash and/or the door, then look at me. Or he'll look at me, then sniff the leash/door.
  • If I'm in another room, he will just quietly trot into the room to check in. If I'm busy or apparently occupied, he will just quietly leave the room. If I ask him if he wants to go potty I get a blank stare. The problem with the "check in" method is that he also comes to check in when he just wants attention, or he's curious about something, or for no reason at all, so it's a noisy and unreliable method.

I've considered that it might be because of his history. Until he was about 6 months old he was with a family that kept him in his crate up to 18 hours out of the day. But even so I feel like that would result in behavior issues way in the other direction re: going outside.

He's a very smart dog and understands things like the differences between leave it and drop it, knows how to use his nose to find something I've hidden in the home or yard, and knows several members of the family by name. But potty? Blank stare. And to be perfectly clear I have been consistently reinforcing what potty means several times a day every day since we got him so he must know what it means, I think he just doesn't get that some kind of response is expected.

Anyone have experience with this or know what could be going on?

e: to clarify this isn't a house training issue, he's fine with that, this is purely about communication

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Anyone have experience with this or know what could be going on?

e: to clarify this isn't a house training issue, he's fine with that, this is purely about communication

I’d guess you’re right that he knows the word but doesn’t know what sort of response you’re looking for. If you’re concerned that you might miss one of his more subtle cues you could train him to jingle some bells near the door (I’m phone posting but I’m sure there are videos on YouTube) or when you ask him if he wants to go out you can try cueing a behavior you’d like him to do before taking him until he starts offering it.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I’d guess you’re right that he knows the word but doesn’t know what sort of response you’re looking for. If you’re concerned that you might miss one of his more subtle cues you could train him to jingle some bells near the door (I’m phone posting but I’m sure there are videos on YouTube) or when you ask him if he wants to go out you can try cueing a behavior you’d like him to do before taking him until he starts offering it.

I can't agree with this enough - the best thing I ever did with any of my dogs was training a toilet bell. It is particularly great if you take them somewhere else as you can take the bell with yiu and they still have a familiar way of indicating for the toilet.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Anyone got advice for a dog (2y) that tends to shy away from petting from us? We've got a pupper that has never been a cuddler, but who has been slowly getting more and more cautious around us, likely because she's a breed that requires regular grooming, ear cleaning, and the like. She seems to be fine getting pets from other people, so we think it's linked to the grooming stuff.

We tried our best to condition her as a puppy to all the implements and handling, and when we get a hold of her she doesn't really fight the grooming part, but we want to make sure that when we get up out of our chairs at night, she isn't afraid we're always going to do something to her. Pretty regularly while we're hanging out, if one of us gets up, she'll go from where she is to a more secluded part of the house.

We're considering bringing out some higher value treats than the small kibble to help counter condition with higher value stuff, but that's about the best we've got so far.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Alucard posted:

Anyone got advice for a dog (2y) that tends to shy away from petting from us? We've got a pupper that has never been a cuddler, but who has been slowly getting more and more cautious around us, likely because she's a breed that requires regular grooming, ear cleaning, and the like. She seems to be fine getting pets from other people, so we think it's linked to the grooming stuff.

We tried our best to condition her as a puppy to all the implements and handling, and when we get a hold of her she doesn't really fight the grooming part, but we want to make sure that when we get up out of our chairs at night, she isn't afraid we're always going to do something to her. Pretty regularly while we're hanging out, if one of us gets up, she'll go from where she is to a more secluded part of the house.

We're considering bringing out some higher value treats than the small kibble to help counter condition with higher value stuff, but that's about the best we've got so far.

I can't recommend this book enough for teaching your dog to be ok with grooming/handling. There's also a FB group and probably youtube videos. Teaching my dog that her consent matters in grooming/handling and that she can say no if she's feeling uncomfortable without being forced to do it any way really improved our relationship after I damaged it getting into a big fight about nails with her as a pup. While you're working on it you might have to make someone else the bad guy for stuff that absolutely has to get done. At least having a specific spot and routine about grooming might help her relax knowing that you aren't just going to grab her out of nowhere at any time. I put out a bath mat on my coffee table every Wednesday and Sunday and my dog knows it's nail time.

If she's just getting startled when you stand up you might want to make that a cue that you're going to drop some snacks, just keep a bowl of kibble near your hang out spot and drop some without a big fanfare whenever you get up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I can't recommend this book enough for teaching your dog to be ok with grooming/handling. There's also a FB group and probably youtube videos. Teaching my dog that her consent matters in grooming/handling and that she can say no if she's feeling uncomfortable without being forced to do it any way really improved our relationship after I damaged it getting into a big fight about nails with her as a pup. While you're working on it you might have to make someone else the bad guy for stuff that absolutely has to get done. At least having a specific spot and routine about grooming might help her relax knowing that you aren't just going to grab her out of nowhere at any time. I put out a bath mat on my coffee table every Wednesday and Sunday and my dog knows it's nail time.

If she's just getting startled when you stand up you might want to make that a cue that you're going to drop some snacks, just keep a bowl of kibble near your hang out spot and drop some without a big fanfare whenever you get up.

Thanks, picked it up and will be giving it a read!

We took it slow today to get her more comfortable with us moving around a bit and she's already made some progress. We'll definitely try to work on establishing a grooming spot instead of just wherever since I'm sure some of the apprehension is related being caught unaware.

Here's the monster curled up next to me, which she hasn't done in a while!