Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, I think the entire construction boom of the 2010s in Turkey was pretty much one giant scam.

Smart countries keep the boom going artificially because money is fake. e.g. China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Some Guy TT posted:

why do you just read the article yourself and come to your own conclusions instead of relying on me to tell you what to think

ACAB but also probably they’re gonna learn less murder techniques than from the NYPD or Shin Bet

I’m actually amazed the NYPD foreign liaisons never got into a gun battle but also lol at that police commander on vacation whose bodyguard did a citizens arrest of a French guy. I can’t find the story for the life of me right.l now

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I guess the coup attempt failed then

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

Around 200 police and soldiers from Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and Papua New Guinea arrived in the Solomons capital of Honiara within days of the riots, at Sogavare’s request.

Some Australian soldiers who had been deployed in Honiara began returning home on Thursday.

Australia has a bilateral security agreement with the Solomon Islands. Australian police were previously deployed there in 2003 under a regional peacekeeping mission and stayed for a decade.

Ok so is Australia a rogue state interfering in the affairs of others too then?

I already know what you're all going to say.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/SixthTone/status/1474621251348013058?s=20

Santa shows hole in China. The libs can not handle this.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No liberals = no War on Christmas.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Dicknosing at the genocide oath party.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1474625967436009473

what cause for celebration!

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

cenotaph posted:

Dicknosing at the genocide oath party.

No they’re muslims praying, dicknosing at a future mass grave site

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

what cause for celebration!

Ukraine is a cucked country.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ukraine is a cucked country.

Ucuckraine

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Looks like Turkmenistan his number one exporter of potassium

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you want to dive deep into this, I'd recommend "Creating Russophobia" by Guy Mettan

The short version is that the antagonism towards Russia is always going to be there just because of its place astride the Eurasian continent. Neither the US nor Western Europe can stand an independently-minded Russia because it's too large to act that way

That's a good recommendation, but it's not quite the turning point nobody seems to identify.

I remember at the time it was happening that the Georgia War really changed the way that America and Americans viewed Russia. The more I read articles in the western press the more it seems like that was the big pivot. It was the culmination of 8 years of the Bush administration treating Russia like a junior partner in American foreign policy, and constantly expanding NATO despite assuring the Russians that we would stop. Georgia was the point when the government and press generally turned against Russia because we treated it as the Evil Empire making a comeback - but really it's because we had up-gunned the Georgian military with US equipment and given Sukashvili assurances that we would back him to the hilt. So when the Russian army rolled over the Georgian army so effortlessly - and didn't overstep the bounds by doing something stupid like invading Georgia's interior and overthrowing the government - it was humiliating to Americans because it demonstrated how impotent we were. This was when everything about the Bush administration's policy hinged on the impression of impregnable American hyperpower.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Red and Black posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I would still like to read something more in depth on how the relationship soured.

I do wonder what would be changed between the EU/US and Russia if, for example, a perfect liberal democracy were to spring up. It would be more or less the same I imagine lol. The geopolitical question of allowing Ukraine as a staging ground, for example, transcends systems of government

Bill Burn, current Director of the CIA and US Ambassador to Russia from 2005 to 2008 lays the post-9/11 US-Russia warmth turning chill down to US support for Kosovo independence, the offer of NATO membership to Georgia and Ukraine, and US plans for missile defenses in Central Europe. He says he thinks relations could have saved one of the three, but not all three at once in this video for his memoir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92KTf0Y1l4Y

He wrote this email* to the higher ups in the Bush Administration in 2008 where in section three he lays out how things will go with a great deal of accuracy looking back 13 years from then.

quote:

3. I fully understand how difficult a decision to hold off on MAP will be. But It's equally hard to overstate the strategic consequences of a premature MAP offer, especially to Ukraine. Ukrainian entry into NATO is the brightest of all redlines
for the Russian elite (not just Putin). In my more than two and a half years of conversations with key Russian player, from knuckle-draggers In the dark recesses of the Kremlin to Putin's sharpest liberal critics, I have yet to find anyone who views Ukraine in NATO as anything other than a direct challenge to Russian interests. At this stage, a MAP offer would be seen not as a technical step along a long road toward membership, but as throwing down the strategic gauntlet. Today's Russia will respond. Russian-Ukrainian Relations will go Into a deep freeze, with Moscow likely to
contemplate economic measures ranging from an immediate Increase In gas prices to world market levels, to a
clampdown on Ukraine workers coming to Russia. It will create fertile soil for Russian meddling in Crimea and eastern Ukraine. There'd be much chest-thumping about repositioning mllllary assets closer to the Ukrainian border, and threats
of nuclear retargeting. The NATO·Russla Council would go on life support, or expire altogether. On Georgia, the combination of Kosovo Independence and a MAP offer would likely lead to recognition of Abkhazla, however
counterproductive that might be to Russia's own long-term Interests In the Caucasus. The prospects of subsequent
Russian-Georgian armed conflict would be high.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

That's ironically also why the US and Western Media went to great lengths to imply that Russia was the aggressor.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Georgia was also the trigger for unreformed cold warriors to really go off the deep end. Like, John McCain was calling for us to bomb the Roki Tunnel.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
My guess for when the relations soured between Europe and Russia were in 2007 when the Bronze night happened. That mess really killed any good will that there could have been between Russia and the Baltic states. Georgia was continuation of that.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Also let's not forget that the USSR was dissolved against the will of the majority of Ukrainians. Over 70% voted to maintain the union.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I vaguely remember the Yukon CEO being locked up to be what set Russia on the path to become the Evil Empire again. We were all very concerned for this dude's health.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It really is just the US losing its poo poo Iran-style over a country daring to no longer be under their literal control.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/marco_maiocchi/status/1474402571695628290

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i love that you'll click a tweet about chinese ppl living longer than americans and then below it is a chen weihua beatdown. thank u algorithm

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
president Putin please save Ukraine their people yearn for freedom

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Just going to quote one of my early posts here

Lostconfused posted:

I am still trying to get over watching Brat 1 and 2. The first movie released in 1997 was a bleak nihilistic portrayal of post soviet Russia, criminal underworld, and the lack of any hope for the future.

While the sequel that came out in 2000 is just a straight up action movie with some strong nationalist overtones. The criminal organizations are exploiting the russian people and are funneling their ill-gotten gains to white collar criminals in America. While the main character who loves his country has to go and right those wrongs.

This scene in particular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0O3jnLvBxw&t=3791s

I still can't get over how hard the sequel swerved into outright nationalist propaganda and that it was so long ago.

Bonus points for the "bad guy" in the movie working with Ukranian Mafia.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say it makes a lot of sense considering the timing, a lot changed between 1997 and 2000 and I would say the “break” between Russia and the West generally occurred during that era.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I noticed "X in US costs ~20x more per capita versus China" is a common theme when it comes to infrastructure, military and healthcare costs.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ukraine belongs to the United States enough!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
US foreign policy post Iraq invasion has been a combination of insanely aggressive soft power NatSec/NGOs "advancing democracy" via destabilizing color revolution coups everywhere it possibly can but simultaneously having fairly limited hard power backing up that aggression if countered with hard force. Putin called the West out on the strategy fairly early and demonstrated in Georgia/Crimea/Syria the clear weakness of the strategy when countered with force. Mutual recognition and hatred of this soft power destabilizing strategy from the west has been the greatest point of unity between Russia and China.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1077338203584151554?s=20

Scary stuff

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

well, they've got, what, 6 hours? Get on it, Vlad.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe they mean the Orthrodox Christmas under the Julian calendar which is like Feb 7th?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

like another poster said this narrative has been put out every drat year it seems

every christmas or winter a deluge of russia is gonna do a full scale invasion that ends up being pretty much nothing

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I don't think Russia celebrates Christmas.

Maybe they should do it for new years. Like time it for when when the Kremlin clock strikes 12, really make 2022 a year to remember.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, also Newsweek doesn’t even vaguely cares what is happening in the slightest.

The only reason for Russia to attack if NATO crosses the red line there has been since 2014.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

OhFunny posted:

Bill Burn, current Director of the CIA and US Ambassador to Russia from 2005 to 2008 lays the post-9/11 US-Russia warmth turning chill down to US support for Kosovo independence, the offer of NATO membership to Georgia and Ukraine, and US plans for missile defenses in Central Europe. He says he thinks relations could have saved one of the three, but not all three at once in this video for his memoir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92KTf0Y1l4Y

He wrote this email* to the higher ups in the Bush Administration in 2008 where in section three he lays out how things will go with a great deal of accuracy looking back 13 years from then.

pretty telling the buzzswords:

authoritarian, centralized government: well organized government with executive authority over business interests

respect for human rights: neoliberalism and US property "respecting"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Throatwarbler posted:

Maybe they mean the Orthrodox Christmas under the Julian calendar which is like Feb 7th?

January 7th is Orthodox Christmas, but I think New Years is the big holiday in Russia.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The three days I can think of are: New Year, Old New Year, and Orthodox Easter.

Edit: I guess there's also just wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_Russia

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Dec 25, 2021

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

why do you just read the article yourself and come to your own conclusions instead of relying on me to tell you what to think

if i want to read an rss feed of uninformative scaremongering of evil chinese interference over *squints* 6 cops, i can go to reddit or d&d

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
just wanted to remind you all that 30 years ago today, the CIA backed forces of reaction illegally dissolved the USSR against the will of the soviet people, and we owe it to them to never forget what those scum took from humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OhFunny posted:

January 7th is Orthodox Christmas, but I think New Years is the big holiday in Russia.

ah but see, because the foul, anti-christian, Russians HATE Christmas so much THEY'LL be ready to invade while our noble nazi friends in Ukraine will be too busy joining hands around a Christmas tree and singing the that song the Whos sing from the Grinch all day.