Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What struck me about the AoL cold open was that it was just two people sitting on couches talking. Gave me serious "Star Wars prequels" vibes.

The whole AoL setting looked great and I loved the aesthetic and the Old Tongue delivery, but hurling us back 3000 years just to show us a living-room conversation about abstract concepts when we could be seeing stuff like Shayol Ghul or the Eye of the World (wouldn't it have been nice to tie "the way it was" in with the present-day comments about how nobody knows what it was for?) or the Companions or maybe introducing some Forsaken or something, or even just seeing some street-level scenes of what life in this futuristic sci-fi magic world is really like — really felt anticlimactic. I'm guessing Covid had a lot to do with it, but it was so conspicuous it made me start looking throughout the rest of the episode for obvious Covid-influenced green-screen scenes where you never see more than two or three people in shot at once.

E: anyway

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Sure, hit me, thanks! This'll go well with mayonnaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Well Memory of light really doesn't loving slow down at all. Just got to Mat going back and being reunited with Tuon. I really like that we're getting Lan's story in the book and his fight.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

I needs it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Few rules:

I've got a lack of gang tags so why not, hit me.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

CainFortea posted:

^^^ Red Laytee is one of the most insightful non-readers I follow.

No, they were done by the Seanchan. In fact the white cloaks roll into one village while Perrin is there and the people there don't react like it was whitecloaks who killed a bunch of people.
The questioners were under cover, they weren’t officially committing atrocities in the name of the light as White Cloaks.

Carridin was ordered by Ishy to create chaos on Almoth Plain utilizing the children.

It was not the seanchan, it was Carradin’s undercover questioners acting on Ishy’s orders.

Edit: Bornhald and his regular Whitecloaks were disgusted by what the questioners did. But they weren’t aware the questioners were the ones who carried out those atrocities. And they blamed the Seanchan. All according to Ishy’s plans

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 25, 2021

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

My 2 cents for what its worth

Bad Stuff

The show desperately needs someone who can write dialogue. The book dialogue wasn't so great but you had the authorial voice to get you through. On tv whoever is writing dialogue has a tin ear. It doesn't have to be deadwood good but it needs a big upgrade.

They need someone who asks does this make sense to like a regular person. The ladies channelling outside the walls for no reason when they could do exactly the same job on top of the walls was stupid. GoT was as stupid isn't a defence. On that note what the gently caress is having a tell while concealing your trail? And he doesn't need it. Nor does anyone else. The eye of the world is fixed point in the show. Its not even very far away. Everyone could have caught up by lunch

They need to work out the visual language of channelling. Rafe said Moiraine got severed. Looked like a shielding. Nynaeve does mmo mass heals. It needs some amount of being consistent and coherent. Maybe that's a big ask, I'm not a cgi guy what the gently caress do I know.

Don't ever kill a character and then bring them back to life. I thought Nynaeve was dead. Probably a lot of people did. I didn't like that and probably most people didn't. But if you do it, do it. Don't undo it like 2 minutes later.

poo poo I thought was cool

Ishamael scenes. That guy was pretty decent and the scenes made sense. I really wanted a more hosed up Farouk from Legion but he did a good job with what he had available. Main concern is they are doing final books content now, what do they have in the tank for final seasons. Free will is a book 10+ concern for Rand

Padain Fain, also a big change. Book Fain is nuts and hosed up. Show Fain is a smooth operator. I quite liked the change. Was not at all disturbed he had the bad touch dagger early

The horn under the throne of Fal Dara. Honestly cool. There are like 6 people total who know. The end of the book eye of the world was kind of a mess. They go there for very vague reasons and its just there after Rand drinks the milkshake.

On the fence about

Pegwene hasn't gone away. He doesn't hit on her when she's basically mourning Rand, that doesn't mean its over. No idea where they think they are going with that. In theory I don't have a problem with it. Weird though.

The ladies burning out was pretty good as a visual. Would not have minded knowing what the logic of the linking is as per the show. I'm aware of the book logic but they don't seem to be the same. Like you can't do your own separate channelling to save Egwene when linked

Book moron disappointments

I kind of liked book Agelmar and Amalisa. They come off as just absolute dunces. Won't make a shadow of a difference to show only people.

Wanted more from the Lews scene than men are x and women are y. The books leave it so much in the past you can't really ever know what actually went down. I know it went that way but every single woman agreed with this and every single man agreed with a different thing. That just sounds stupid.

Was that the first time anyone mentioned Ta'vern? Seems like if Moiraine knew what that was and who they were she would have brought them along for the ride.

On the plus side

I'll keep watching. I've read these books a bunch. I'm just tickled by what will they do, how do they bridge this change with the original plot and oh yeah, this guy!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell they already did the "We just killed a main character, NOPE lol sike" thing back in the Logain episode we all liked.

They got away with it then because it was rad. Here it just makes it seem like we've just got to resign ourselves to repeatedly watching for signs of movement in the last few frames of a scene to see if Valda or Loial or Uno or whoever is really dead, and nobody will be.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Hell they already did the "We just killed a main character, NOPE lol sike" thing back in the Logain episode we all liked.

They got away with it then because it was rad. Here it just makes it seem like we've just got to resign ourselves to repeatedly watching for signs of movement in the last few frames of a scene to see if Valda or Loial or Uno or whoever is really dead, and nobody will be.

I assumed Valda was not dead because he just got stabbed in the shoulder. Loial and Uno is a bigger problem. They got murdered at leisure by fades and Fain. They got owned enough for Fain to sit around and do a monologue. So either Fain and the fades are morons who don't know how to finish someone off or you can just do mmo poo poo and res people.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
From now on a named character will die in every episode, but then will be brought back to life using magic.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I really didn't like that episode at all, and I don't have much faith in this show as an adaptation anymore.

This isn't the biggest issue, and if it was just stuff like this I could live with tv needing to have big flashy poo poo to show sooner rather than later, but when they linked at Tarwin's Gap and owned the whole army with five channelers, three of which were weak, it made me feel like there's not much room for escalation for things like the Asha'man massacre of the Shaido or Rand's army of one at Maradon. Having Latra accurately predict what was going to happen to saidin was pretty loving stupid too. Speaking of saidin, how are we done with a whole season and the show hasn't even talked about the difference between saidin and saidar yet?

I agree that making Nynaeve look like a dead husk before getting healed is stupid as poo poo too.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 25, 2021

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Goofballs posted:

Was that the first time anyone mentioned Ta'vern? Seems like if Moiraine knew what that was and who they were she would have brought them along for the ride.

Moiraine says there are rumors of FOUR ta'veren in the two rivers in episode 1, and now Fain says the FIVE of you are ta'veren.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Having Latra accurately predict what was going to happen to saidin was pretty loving stupid too. Speaking of saidin, how are we done with a whole season and the show hasn't even talked about the difference between saidin and saidar yet?

This was really dumb and honestly baffling to include this line. Technically saidar and saidin are mentioned in one of the bonus features, but honestly not sure it counts since it's not in the actual show.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Moiraine says there are rumors of FOUR ta'veren in the two rivers in episode 1, and now Fain says the FIVE of you are ta'veren.

Kind of frustrating she left most of the tools in the box then. Maybe Fain only explains what the word means in episode 8 but she should know what it means if she used the word. Its a book moron point but that's why she has any hope she can win at the eye of the world. I said it last week but Rand is basically a baby at this point and she deliberately throws him into the ring with a Mike Tyson who may have been sitting on the couch but he's still Mike Tyson. A bit frustrated by that. She gives him a sa'angreal which I assume she stole from the white tower but if getting those is easy who gives a poo poo about Callandor. Maybe it doesn't exist in the show. It can work for now but it seems like very short term thinking.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

At this point I think it is prudent to assume that unless the show explicitly names a rule then the mechanics of channeling and what not are just not going to be the same in the show, for various reasons.

Here's a theory.

Lady Amalisa got kicked from the tower as an accepted.
She clearly didn't have enough strength to do much with the power.
The only other circle we see are fully raised Aes Sedai.
They do some kind of hand movements.

It's possible that the buffer thing in circles is something that needs to be "activated" when setting up the circle and no one there knew how to do it right.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

"Surely goons aren't so bad at watching TV that they missed the clear indicators that Nynaeve wasn't dead. It was pretty obvious..."
- Me, just prior to opening this thread.

Also lol on at the people pretending (it has to be pretending, right?) that they don't understand what happened to Amalisa. She didn't go out there planning to burn herself and everyone out. She got a taste of power beyond her wildest dreams and couldn't let go or stop trying to pull more. They quite literally could not have made this more obvious without having her look straight down the camera and say it outright.

Goofballs posted:

My 2 cents for what its worth

Bad Stuff
Nynaeve does mmo mass heals.

She does it the books, too. The Dragon Reborn, to be exact. Not as extreme...but her healing of Elayne also heals Egwene a few feet away. Or vice versa.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 25, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This might be a little nitpicky, but I don't like Rand straight up having a memory from Lews Therin this early either. It kind of makes the whole Lews Therin voice pointless if he can remember that life, and the moment when he realizes he's always been Lews Therin and integrates those memories is probably the single most important character moment in the whole series. The memory in this instance was dim enough that I don't think it single handedly destroyed all of that, I just feel like it's an example of how they're being sloppy with pretty important elements of Rand's character development. Maybe they're deliberately just speedrunning through it since they're planning on cutting a ton of poo poo though, who knows.

Also Min not having any idea if Rand was going to come back from the Eye doesn't make any loving sense given that she saw him with three women, presumably including herself. They've already established that her visions always come true, so that feels like a bigger guarantee than Elayne had in the books.

Devorum posted:

"Surely goons aren't so bad at watching TV that they missed the clear indicators that Nynaeve wasn't dead. It was pretty obvious..."
- Me, just prior to opening this thread.

Obviously she wasn't dead, but she was definitely made to appear dead enough that it was meant to be a fake out. As usual with this adaptation, I think they went with cheap drama over creating a world that seems to make sense--almost entirely untrained Egwene unconsciously healing her from the brink of husk-death is pretty dumb.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 25, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Devorum posted:

They quite literally could not have made this more obvious without having her look straight down the camera and say it outright.

She basically does. She's looking up and the camera is above her and she goes "i can feel the whole woooooorld" and then sizzles.

th3t00t posted:

The questioners were under cover, they weren’t officially committing atrocities in the name of the light as White Cloaks.

There can be more than one group of people doing atrocities. In the actual book, the questioners are supposed to dress up like fighters from Tarabon and Arad Doman to crank up tensions there. They didn't know the Seanchan were real and at the time they were just rumors.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Why did they make the TV series, if they didn't want to make it good? What a waste of money and effort so far. Makes me want to read the books for a fourth time instead.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I enjoyed seeing that one of the random Fal Dara channelers was a Malkieri with the ki'sain.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Why did they make the TV series, if they didn't want to make it good? What a waste of money and effort so far. Makes me want to read the books for a fourth time instead.

Rafe once posted in this thread and you were mean to him so he said "I'm going to make THE VERY WORST TV SHOW EVER"

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Rafe once posted in this thread and you were mean to him so he said "I'm going to make THE VERY WORST TV SHOW EVER"

Thanks. This should teach me to be a better person. A series I've been waiting for 20+ years, and they deliver this. Meh.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Devorum posted:

She does it the books, too. The Dragon Reborn, to be exact. Not as extreme...but her healing of Elayne also heals Egwene a few feet away. Or vice versa.
Technically, this happens because Egwene puts her hands over Elayne's mouth to stop her from making noise as the healing is finishing, so she ends up touching the weaves as they're fading and getting the backwash from the Healing. That does kind of imply that you could expand the "regular" Healing weave into an AoE of some sort, but it never actually happens.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

DarkHorse posted:

I think I've figured out what annoys me about Perrin's appearance, and it's that he has a slack jawed open-mouthed slouch most of the time

I hope we get him working out complicated problems with solutions that seem effortless and simple, like his analogy with blacksmith puzzles. Also his crazy strength- i though they were going to show him and Loial moving those stones that Uno and the other guy were struggling with relative ease.

Right now he really just seems simple and thick. :(

I am on book four and I am at the stage where book Perrin is going all natural leader and taking charge without thinking about it and convincing people to do as he says with hs words and "ta'vereness" and I realized there's just no way in hell show Perrin is gonna be able to do any of that.

I dunno how Perrin came off in this last episode because I have not seen it but I doubt it's gonna be the episode to change my mind.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

I dunno how Perrin came off in this last episode because I have not seen it but I doubt it's gonna be the episode to change my mind.

Ooo laddy, strap in.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Sinteres posted:

Also Min not having any idea if Rand was going to come back from the Eye doesn't make any loving sense given that she saw him with three women, presumably including herself. They've already established that her visions always come true, so that feels like a bigger guarantee than Elayne had in the books.

If Rand turns to the Dark Side, all Min's visions are null and void.

All y'all are like a bunch of those grumpy squeaky rainforest frogs, all puffed up and yelling at the wind right now. I think they did a pretty good job with an adaptation in difficult circumstances. It was never going to be exactly the same as the books, and I will quite happily concede changes for rule of cool.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
maybe the person who was supposed to write the dialogue got covid 😔

hope you like people running back and forth down a hallway

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Wife has never read the books but she's been liking the show. But after the finale she was like "what? This is it?"

My own two cents on the finale is just why the gently caress are you standing on a plain.. why not loving go straight to the Gap and stand there?

And also seanchan tsunaming a little girl for no reason.

On a whole I can't really see where all the money has gone in making the show.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Ooo laddy, strap in.

Sorry, I couldn't finish the episode. I'm done.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Sorry, I couldn't finish the episode. I'm done.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Affi posted:

Wife has never read the books but she's been liking the show. But after the finale she was like "what? This is it?"

My own two cents on the finale is just why the gently caress are you standing on a plain.. why not loving go straight to the Gap and stand there?

And also seanchan tsunaming a little girl for no reason.

On a whole I can't really see where all the money has gone in making the show.

Given how much of the battle was just tactically nonsensical (I posted in the show thread about this too) I have a real hard time seeing the good things about the episode as being intentional or 5D chess or whatever. Really felt like they were flailing for season-ending spectacles, cool revelations, and character callbacks, at the expense of anything making any sense or seeming like the writers know anything we don't.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Whoever it was ITT whilo said they should have trubechets in the fortress to use against trolloc hordes, you are bad at tactical realism

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Okay finally watched the last episode, since we have some people working on the last book I guess I'll spoiler this:

The whole, "Hey you could totally boink Egwene if you just surrender to me / TDO" thing taken out of like the last book when Rand was shown what a world without free will is like, right?

Admittedly I hardly remember the ending of EOTW other than "defenseless woolhead drinks from the source and magically pwns a baddie" so maybe this was in there but it struck me as extremely similar to how I remembered that scene from the final book.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yes you're correct, blended perhaps with Egwene's accepted test given the game of the baby

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Okay finally watched the last episode, since we have some people working on the last book I guess I'll spoiler this:

The whole, "Hey you could totally boink Egwene if you just surrender to me / TDO" thing taken out of like the last book when Rand was shown what a world without free will is like, right?

Admittedly I hardly remember the ending of EOTW other than "defenseless woolhead drinks from the source and magically pwns a baddie" so maybe this was in there but it struck me as extremely similar to how I remembered that scene from the final book.

No, it's more like the alt worlds like with the portal stone jumping. Rand creates the worlds in the last book, he's shown this one.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think, as a whole, the books cannot be relied on for source material.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lol they really dropped the ball in the last episode

nothing in it was good

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's not true, the set for The Eye was quite cool.

Definitely not my favorite episode, but I don't think it was the worst - although I can't place off the top of my head which was the worst.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I think 7 was a lot worse than 8. The whole Dragon reveal was really awful and not earned at all.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

It would be kinda interesting to have all the seals be locations rather than just a china plate in somebodies attic, they could even insert Aginor and Balthamel somewhere :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why did they act/talk like the yin-yang symbol on the floor (the first time we’ve seen the whole thing intact this whole season) was “the Eye”?

Why was LTT wearing a “dragon” pin that looked like a weird macaroni art Christmas ornament version of the Mortal Kombat logo instead of the AS symbol?

How have they made it this far without talking about the symbols and what they mean, even after showing and teasing them all season?