Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I have no memory of the third matrix but I think the video game was canon and necessary to understand the plot.

what I’m saying is you need to play that too and report back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They killed off Morpheus in the game. You gotta wonder who the hell he pissed off to get killed off in a video game cutscene and then not invited back for #4.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that was the mmo, it takes place after 3

the relevant game is enter the matrix

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
mini-review: wrath of man (2021) dir. guy ritchie

one of those movies whose references to previous entries in the genre (heat and especially to live and die in la - the vincent thomas bridge shows up repeatedly in homage to the latter film) mostly serve to to make the movie worse for the comparison. pretty leaden by-the-book heist/revenge neo-noir set in contemporary los angeles, full of characters you never care about and twists that arent that interesting. the timeline is fractured and jumps back and forth, but mostly to try and cover up that the plot isnt that interesting. statham spends most of the film glowering and not showing off his physicality or his charm, which is a waste

there are a couple of nice shots and a few good gags (like the bad guys final escape vehicle which is chosen for its nondescript ubiquity, although that joke was done better in la la land) but on the whole id give it a fairly mediocre c-

see it only if you are really dedicated to watching all of stathams and/or ritchies filmography. otherwise, watch heat or to live in die in la (or hell, la la land) instead

faint praise: it was better than revolver

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

guy ritchie makes both really good and really bad movies [or Sherlock Holmes which is both] but it’s usually a good choice to watch lock stock or snatch

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

its christmas which means its time for me to lay on the couch with a buzz and watch all the star wars movies

just finished a new hope, now its empire strikes back (the best one) time

if you haven't seen it, check out ANH 4k77y project. tis really cool watching it from the original 35mm reel in 4k with all the littlee knobs and behind the scenes ltitle details being visible and how really impressive the sets and cinematography is

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/slamcheddy/status/1474488572854128640

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

its christmas which means its time for me to lay on the couch with a buzz and watch all the star wars movies

what did you think of the prequels upon rewatch?

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

what did you think of the prequels upon rewatch?
Yes it's important not to forget that there are two prequels (rogue one and solo)

mystes fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 25, 2021

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Jonny 290 posted:

same, but lotr extended edition.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Xaris posted:

if you haven't seen it, check out ANH 4k77y project. tis really cool watching it from the original 35mm reel in 4k with all the littlee knobs and behind the scenes ltitle details being visible and how really impressive the sets and cinematography is

oh yeah ive got all that stuff. this year im watching all the grindhouse versions with the trashed film effects, its good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FMguru posted:

faint praise: it was better than revolver

it would be impressive if it weren't

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

TOOT BOOT posted:

They killed off Morpheus in the game. You gotta wonder who the hell he pissed off to get killed off in a video game cutscene and then not invited back for #4.
i was thinking it's an insurability issue but that doesn't really hold up considering his other projects including the johns wick. his scheduling is busy but not that busy. maybe he is just tired of the matrix and doesn't want to do it for the money they were offering. apparently that's why weaving stopped doing avengers stuff- not enough fliff for the trouble

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Kenny Logins posted:

i was thinking it's an insurability issue but that doesn't really hold up considering his other projects including the johns wick. his scheduling is busy but not that busy. maybe he is just tired of the matrix and doesn't want to do it for the money they were offering. apparently that's why weaving stopped doing avengers stuff- not enough fliff for the trouble

they didn’t offer him any money, they never even asked him to be in it. seems like they took the MMO plot point as canon. you see him in flashbacks though

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ugh, mandatory gaiden

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/bbw_bff/status/1341171386178363392

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

oh yeah ive got all that stuff. this year im watching all the grindhouse versions with the trashed film effects, its good
hmm i havent seen those, ill have to look for some files.

to me the most interesting thing about rewatching og trilogy is not so much the story/movie itself, but my brain slipping into technical brain when watching the reel rips because there's just so much detail going on and visualizing/knowing what they had to do to get so many shots right is really impressive. lucas may be kinda lovely (especially later in his life), but dude and his team did some genuine technical marvels and a shitton of work into the actual sets, outdoor shots, practicals, etc that it's still rather mindblowing even today how much work went into everything, including so much extraneous details that got lost on vhs/dvd compression

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

when I was a kid I had this copy of (I think nat geo) that had a big bts spread on empire and it was really cool

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

🎼 cause I, I, I’m in Star Wars tonight 🎶

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

saw matrix 4. not great. basically just a remake of matrix 1, but more confusing and far less impactful character moments. oh well.

trinity still looks good.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah its just kinda whatever.i think my standards got lowered by cowboy livebop

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
still wondering why anyone bothered seeing matrix 4.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
back in the 90s europe got all the movies 6 months later than the us. my dad was a av gear junkie and bought a lot of grey import dvds, among them the matrix.

i went into it completely blind, thinking it was some kind of b-level hacking thriller since those were in vogue back then, and well, lol.

that was my matrix story, thanks for listening.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stringent posted:

bothered?

clicking a play button on a remote is pretty low effort, my dude

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Stringent posted:

lmao the things I like are good. the things you like are bad!!!!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

like drat dude its totally reasonable to have different viewpoints and takeaways from things. i think wheel of time is dumb as balls but im not gonna get in peoples faces over it because its cool to see other enjoy things, even if its not a thing *I* enjoy.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Kernel Sanders posted:

back in the 90s europe got all the movies 6 months later than the us. my dad was a av gear junkie and bought a lot of grey import dvds, among them the matrix.

i went into it completely blind, thinking it was some kind of b-level hacking thriller since those were in vogue back then, and well, lol.

thank you for your story

my dad took me because it was rated r and I was 14 and afterwards I thought it was the greatest movie of all time and he said you had to be on drugs to understand it. my dad is a simple man who would have been a cyberpunk if not for the word punk. he was all about Usenet and bbs and tinkering with computers and radios and stuff, but the whole false reality thing was just too much.

pretty formative memory tho cause the matrix ruled and still rules

also I like m4trix a lot. the fights are kinda weak but I love the dialogue for some reason. it’s so satisfying and nph and the guy playing smith are excellent.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Casual Encountess posted:

like drat dude its totally reasonable to have different viewpoints and takeaways from things. i think wheel of time is dumb as balls but im not gonna get in peoples faces over it because its cool to see other enjoy things, even if its not a thing *I* enjoy.
people who like WoT have owned themselves harder than any external agent ever could. -ev to engage negatively on that :hai:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wot sucks cause its money that could have been spent on more expanse.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

true

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
new matrix movie is boring

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kernel Sanders posted:

when the advertising for the first matrix movie started in the us, it was the guy from bill & ted and speed along with cowboy curtis from pee-wee's playhouse running around in black trenchcoats waving guns around while some cryptic "WHAT IS THE MATRIX" text appeared on the screen. until it was actually in the theaters, nobody knew what it was actually about

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

nobody can be told what the matrix is. you have to see it for yourself

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC4lxNGfn2I

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SmokaDustbowl posted:

new matrix movie is boring

this is literally violence

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its fine

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I just copped a new docu about the making of the old 1981 EXCALIBUR movie, so I thought I'd see what else I have saved under the 'Documentary' category.

That's rather more than I was expecting :prepop:

(I think theres a few incorrect tags picked up there, I'll have to do a little housecleaning)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's fine, but it's pretty boring.

I liked the first act, but it started to fall apart when Neo woke up, and by the time they were planning to go get Trinity I was fully checked out.

Also Niobe's old age makeup and acting were bad.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
My Matrix experience was catching the second half of it when I was at my grandma's and our whole family was over. I was maybe 11? I had zero context other than there was a world where these guys were superheroes? And a world where they weren't? But they were connected? My mind filled in all the blanks and I loving loved it. Then I rented the VHS and was even more blown away by the full thing. Then I bought the VHS and watched it so many times that my VCR ended up destroying it. Not sure that I've watched it all the way through since then.

I've only watched the first 1.5 hours of m4trix and I really like it. Curious where it ends up. I don't think it's for everyone but that's fine. I don't think that was the intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I just copped a new docu about the making of the old 1981 EXCALIBUR movie, so I thought I'd see what else I have saved under the 'Documentary' category.

That's rather more than I was expecting :prepop:

(I think theres a few incorrect tags picked up there, I'll have to do a little housecleaning)

i've got your final member right here *indicates dilz*