Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm getting a weird flicker on the top portion of my LG 27GL83A. It happens for like 1-2 frames every minute or so and is just enough to drive me crazy when trying to read something or if it's happening in my peripheral.

Things I'm considering:
-I had a lightning strike 6 months ago that was enough to kill my power adapter, I'm currently on a third party one. Monitor could have taken a hit that is now surfacing.
-My video card is plugged simultaneously into this monitor and my TV through HDMI. The TV does not flicker when using both.
-No changes to hardware or background processes recently.

Any ideas? Can a DP cable poop itself even though I haven't touched it since plugging it in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Do you have an Nvidia card and are you on the latest Nvidia drivers? I’ve had weird rear end flickering on all driver versions past 472.12 I believe.

Flickering on the top of one screen, and the mouse pointer was flickering on my secondary display. Both problems went away with a driver rollback.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I update my 3080 as soon as they come out and I did run a driver update roughly around the time it popped up. My dumb brain didn’t get farther than “I have the latest driver so it must be something else!”

Pleeease tell me this is just a driver issue.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rolo posted:

Yeah I update my 3080 as soon as they come out and I did run a driver update roughly around the time it popped up. My dumb brain didn’t get farther than “I have the latest driver so it must be something else!”

Pleeease tell me this is just a driver issue.

Test this by running DDU in safe mode, restarting back into regular windows, and then see if it still happens with the default windows drivers. If that fixes the issue, then install the driver version just prior to when the issue started. You can also try swapping cables if you have a spare DP or HDMI one sitting around. (or even if you don't, take an HDMI cable from another device just to test if it still happens with that)

If none of these things fix the issue, then I'd say it's likely some kind of issue is forming with the monitor itself, and those kinds of issues are rarely user-fixable. You may have to send it in for repairs if it's still covered under warranty.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 25, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Great I’ll give it a shot, thanks.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Hi thread, it's Christmas time, that means I finally get to shop for a new monitor! I'm trying to get something that's actually halfway aligned with what I use it for this time, as opposed to my last go-round ten years ago of "iunno, that one looks good enough." Ideally what I am looking for is around 27-32", has a DisplayPort out, and hopefully sub-$400ish price. It'll be used primarily for gaming, but I am by no means anywhere approaching needed bleeding edge monitor. At the very least, getting a pointer in the right direction would be super helpful

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
DP OUT? DP chaining is kind of a dead/very limiting thing. Assuming you mean DP in, you're looking at the standard 27" 1440p 144hz+ Freesync monitors.

There's the LG 27GP850, and its slightly inferior budget clone the 27GP83B. Personally I'd be looking at that Amazon Warehouse $346 deal, it'd be a returned monitor that probably has nothing wrong with it. There's also the Dell S2721DGF which is very similar. The main downside to these LG gaming panel monitors is that they have relatively quite poor contrast, i.e. blacks are even less black than other LCDs, especially if you want to run really high brightness in a dark environment for some reason. As an alternative, consider the Gigabyte M27Q, which is cheaper, performs nearly as well, and has somewhat better contrast, but has BGR subpixels. That means that you will need to run the Cleartype calibrator for this monitor and anything that does text on its down and ignores Cleartype settings (most notably Chrome UI elements) will have messed up subpixel antialiasing that makes them look a bit fringy. It's up to you how much you expect to care about that, most people seem to be fine with it. There's also the MSI Mag274QRF-QD, which is overall very nice and mostly better than the LG monitors, but even with the BIOS update that supposedly fixes the sRGB mode, some people have color saturation issues. That might be the least noticeable of all these downsides to the average person, though. Again, personally I'd be looking at Amazon Warehouse deals for any monitor you're buying off Amazon unless you're in a supreme rush to be done with it, since you can always return them if there is any problem.

Regardless of what you get, when you're done go to this post and follow the instructions there to get it set up properly.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 25, 2021

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.

K8.0 posted:

DP OUT? DP chaining is kind of a dead/very limiting thing.

I wanted to use MST initially too. It’s really annoying that DP-out is mostly dead, but I must hate cord clutter more than most people. The Dell UltraSharp series still offers this, but there’s definitely at a price premium.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 25, 2021

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I have the exact same top-of-screen flicker as what Rolo mentioned with the 27GP83B and my 3080ti. The computer and the monitor are both brand new as of a week ago. From my testing over the last couple days, I'm 99% sure it has to do with having a second screen of any sort that has a different refresh/resolution. In my case, instead of a TV it's an older AOC 1080p/60hz monitor. I unplugged the AOC screen for ~10 minutes and plugged it back in, and the flicker was gone until the next time I turned the LG off and back on.

I haven't yet tried rolling back to the 472.12 drivers, but it sounds like that's the only consistent fix. The most recent drivers haven't helped, disabling/enabling/tweaking Gsync doesn't do anything, etc.

Unless anyone has any other ideas, it seems like rolling the drivers back is the way to go.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
To help with the troubleshooting, my TV is at the same resolution but a different refresh. Both are 1440p but the TV is 120hz with VRR off (Samsung VRR claims compatibility but runs like crap) and the monitor is 144hz with g-sync.

I’ve been using them both like this for over a year so if the problem is popping up elsewhere with nvidia I may just hunker down until a new update fixes it.

It’s not annoying enough to warrant a ton of effort unless it’s indicative of other problems or a looming hardware purchase. Then I’d start putting in more effort to fix it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I rolled back the driver to 472.12 basically immediately after making that post, and haven't seen a flicker since. Could be luck I suppose, but usually they happened every few minutes or a couple times a minute, so it'd be a heck of a streak. I'd try the rollback and see if it solves your problem.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

How strange. I wonder if that's related to their attempted-but-failed fix of the whole screen flicker issue some people with multi-monitor setups have been getting (myself included). With those, you get a black screen for a couple seconds every so often (anywhere between every minute to every five or so). So the symptoms are pretty different, but both are driver issues caused by multi monitor setups.

Nvidia please fix your poo poo.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How strange. I wonder if that's related to their attempted-but-failed fix of the whole screen flicker issue some people with multi-monitor setups have been getting (myself included). With those, you get a black screen for a couple seconds every so often (anywhere between every minute to every five or so). So the symptoms are pretty different, but both are driver issues caused by multi monitor setups.

Nvidia please fix your poo poo.

I was getting this for a minute when turning off a monitor but it goes away.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I think I've noticed something similar going on with my GP850-B and 3080 I've had for a few weeks (also running dual monitors with the other one at 1080@60hz). One day this past week I definitely had it flicker in the upper third/half every minute or so, but since then I've updated my drivers and it's not been consistent enough for me to see it.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
do monitor arms generally allow downward angle tilt or is that something i should gun for a specific one for?

i just ordered a 32GP850 and my general use case sees me sitting about a meter away from the screen, with my eye level just above the bottom bezel - so the monitor is mostly above me.

i was considering getting the samsung odyssey g7 just because it looks like it has a little bit of downward tilt, but i'll be so far away i'm not sure if i'd get anything out of the curved screen, and then i realized "gently caress, can't i just buy some third party thing that does this for me?? why am i still shopping for a monitor based on what the factory stand does?"

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

the nucas posted:

do monitor arms generally allow downward angle tilt or is that something i should gun for a specific one for?

i just ordered a 32GP850 and my general use case sees me sitting about a meter away from the screen, with my eye level just above the bottom bezel - so the monitor is mostly above me.

i was considering getting the samsung odyssey g7 just because it looks like it has a little bit of downward tilt, but i'll be so far away i'm not sure if i'd get anything out of the curved screen, and then i realized "gently caress, can't i just buy some third party thing that does this for me?? why am i still shopping for a monitor based on what the factory stand does?"

Yeah I've never seen one without downward tilt, I own 3 monitor arms and have had a couple others in the past.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm looking for a 27" high refresh 1440 monitor for around $300. What's the rec, monitor experts?

I had been eyeballing this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08S999YC8 but if there's something better I'm all ears. I plan to pair it with my current 27" 1008p monitor.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If 375 is close enough to 300 I’ll throw my recommendation for a LG 27GL83A. Lots of people here use it and recommended it to me.

Especially now that I know my flickering issue is an Nvidia issue :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd go with the LG 27GP83B over that, which is the newer model. It's been $375 or cheaper before. But ultimately for $300, it's hard to beat the Ggiabyte M27Q: https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Mon...mcx_mr_hp_atf_m (review)

RTINGS did a comparison of it with the G273QF. The pros of the M27Q: A height-adjustable stand; ample max SDR brightness; a wider color gamut (though this won't come into play for properly calibrated SDR content). The pros of the G273QF: Slightly faster response times provide a small increase to motion clarity, though it will be hard to notice in practice; standard RGB subpixels—the M27Q uses BGR, which means some subpixel-level text rendering will result in slightly blurrier looking text. Anything that supports cleartype will look good, and anything that doesn't use any subpixel text rendering will look the same, but some programs that use their own (Chrome, for one) will have text that's slightly blurrier than usual. For chrome, I think it's just the UI and maybe some google applications like Google Sheets.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I'd go with the LG 27GP83B over that, which is the newer model.

:corsair: I just got this thing!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

I'm looking for a 27" high refresh 1440 monitor for around $300. What's the rec, monitor experts?

I had been eyeballing this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08S999YC8 but if there's something better I'm all ears. I plan to pair it with my current 27" 1008p monitor.

Just read this post.

The monitor you linked is mostly decent, but it doesn't have a set it and forget it overdrive mode which is inconvenient, and it has an exceptionally crappy stand with only vertical tilt adjustment.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 27, 2021

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Is there a flat version of the G7, I.E. a VA monitor that doesn't have a suite of horrible drawbacks in return for the contrast?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

No, and if it did it would be even easier to trigger the real problem with VA : awful contrast and color shifting when you get too far from horizontally perpendicular to any part of the screen. That said, while 1000R is a nutty and generally excessive curve, if you're using it from 1m and you're more or less keeping your head in the right place it's probably still the overall best gaming monitor experience you can get.

Also be aware that all the Odyssey monitors are prone to QC problems, so if you buy one there's a higher chance than with most monitors that you'll be returning it for another. Still, it's a very nice monitor and if I were a billionaire I'd have one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Maybe they'll give us less nutty curves with next year's models. Fingers crossed...

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Good info snipped

Extremely helpful posts, thank you both. I'm leaning toward the M27Q now. That LG monitor looks nice but it's a bit of a stretch budget wise. If the difference between a 300 and 350 monitor are noticeable enough I'd consider one, but 375-400 is pushing it.

I'll be mounting it on a dual arm monitor stand so the included stand doesn't matter for what it's worth.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey goons, have two monitor questions to ask.

1.) I wanted to repurpose one of my LG 27" 4K monitors (27UD88-W, with speakers) for my son to play his new Xbox X on and it looks absolutely brilliant. Problem is, the Xbox doesn't play ANY sound. In settings it doesn't recognize anything but headset sound. Is there some weird compatibility issues with monitors and xboxes these days? I've gone through and did all the troubleshooting online that I could find and about to throw in the towel on this one, which is a shame because I already have a really nice 4K monitor with speakers for him to use.

I was mistaken that this monitor does NOT have built in speakers, the volume control threw me off. Turns out though that I can plug in headphones/aux-out into external speakers and that will solve my problem!

2.) Since I repurposed that monitor, I GUESS I can finally scratch that itch and finally get the 49" ultrawide that I really have been lusting for. Seems like the top two are the Samsung Odyssey G9 and the Dell U4919DW. The Samsung is on sale at BB and their store for $999 this week, so is very tempting. However, it lacks the KVM and USB-C plus also has what appears to be a way more aggressive curve than the Dell. But it does run at 120hz and do HDR10, features that I am not likely to really benefit from though as I will be using this for 95% productivity between my work and personal laptops so the gaming features aren't that attractive to me. However, the price is.

Is there such a difference between these two that it's a slam-dunk answer that I should pay up for the Dell or will the Samsung be a smart pick and just double down on Logitech Flow with the MX keys?

Appreciate any input, thanks!

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 27, 2021

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Acer XV340CK may be a fire hazard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rMy8GcFwcs

e: that may be putting it a bit too harshly; seems like there's a real QC issue but if it's gonna fail it's gonna fail almost immediately after you start using it and it's sort of hard to miss

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 27, 2021

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I just got an LG 27GP850-B and it's great! The only problem is, every time my two monitors go to sleep, all the windows I had open on my second panel (also a displayport) are all shuffled onto my LG. Googling hasn't shown me how to resolve this issue.

Anyone have experience with this? I'm running two monitors, both with displayport.

Edit: Should I use HDMI on the LG instead? Will that work at 1440p?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I want to try a 43" 4K as a computer monitor, is there a recommendation for one to buy under $300?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think there's a 43" 4K monitor that cheap. The cheapest ones on Amazon are $700 and the cheapest one on newegg is some acer monitor that looks like a rebranded TV for $550.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vasler posted:

I just got an LG 27GP850-B and it's great! The only problem is, every time my two monitors go to sleep, all the windows I had open on my second panel (also a displayport) are all shuffled onto my LG. Googling hasn't shown me how to resolve this issue.

Anyone have experience with this? I'm running two monitors, both with displayport.

Edit: Should I use HDMI on the LG instead? Will that work at 1440p?

iirc one of the features of win11 is that this doesn't happen anymore :v: So unless I am mistaking what your problem is, that's just how things have worked until now.

I don't think swapping to HDMI will solve your problem, but it doesn't hurt to try. Also HDMI might be limited to just 1440p and 120hz.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I don't think there's a 43" 4K monitor that cheap. The cheapest ones on Amazon are $700 and the cheapest one on newegg is some acer monitor that looks like a rebranded TV for $550.

I meant a TV not a computer monitor

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ah, sorry. In that case, here's a table from RTINGS that lists 43" 4K TVs under $400, sorted by their rated aptitude at being a PC monitor: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/table/73353

The Hisense 43A6G seems like a decent choice here. It has an IPS panel, and unlike most TVs it uses RGB subpixels, meaning text should be quite sharp. The response times seem not ideal, but that's what you get with budget TVs. It shouldn't be a big issue unless you're gaming on it. The 180hz backlight flicker may cause headaches if you're staring at it from up close for long periods of time every day, but this is something that's different for everyone.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

iirc one of the features of win11 is that this doesn't happen anymore :v: So unless I am mistaking what your problem is, that's just how things have worked until now.

I don't think swapping to HDMI will solve your problem, but it doesn't hurt to try. Also HDMI might be limited to just 1440p and 120hz.

It's hit or miss on windows 10, and I don't know whether to blame microsoft or the monitor manufacturers for this issue, so I blame both. The thing is, plenty of monitors can go to sleep just fine without making windows think the monitor is disconnected. Some monitors fail to let windows know that they're still there, though, and windows freaks out and assumes that the monitor is just gone when it goes to sleep. Windows 11 alleviates this by remembering where things were after it loses contact with a display and restoring everything to that setup once the display comes back.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 28, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ah, sorry. In that case, here's a table from RTINGS that lists 43" 4K TVs under $400, sorted by their rated aptitude at being a PC monitor: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/table/73353

The Hisense 43A6G seems like a decent choice here. It has an IPS panel, and unlike most TVs it uses RGB subpixels, meaning text should be quite sharp. The response times seem not ideal, but that's what you get with budget TVs. It shouldn't be a big issue unless you're gaming on it. The 180hz backlight flicker may cause headaches if you're staring at it from up close for long periods of time every day, but this is something that's different for everyone.

Update: The 43" version may be different across regions? There's a lot of variations of this TV where different regions have different types or qualities of panel. According to RTINGS' info, the 43" version should be IPS. A user claimed their "43A68G" is an IPS with RGB subpixels, but that's the canadian and european model number. A Hisense customer service rep via Best Buy's Q&A system said that the 43" model has a VA panel (which would have BGR subpixels), but an RTINGS staff member suggested that the customer service agent could potentially have incorrect information. They asked for users who have bought the 43" version to provide feedback, but none have so far aside from that foreign user. So... who knows? lol god, TV product segmentation is even more of a clusterfuck than monitors.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

They have that Hisense in stock at the Best Buy near my house I'll check it out

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yup I've heard you have to be careful with Hisense model numbers, because they slap on the same name on different products depending on the region.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That would be the only TV under $300 I'd feel comfortable recommending based on the information available at RTINGS, so hopefully it works out. The rest of the budget options have various issues such as the lack of 4:4:4 support or bad viewing angles. If the model best buy has turns out to be a VA with bad viewing angles, then I'd consider stretching the budget for the LG UP8000 instead ($360 at best buy).

The main things you want in a TV when using it as a monitor are wide viewing angles (so the edges aren't discolored or washed out while viewing from up close), RGB subpixels (not a dealbreaker for most use cases as we've discussed extensively here, but nice to have), a low input lag mode so moving a mouse cursor doesn't feel sluggish, and a 4:4:4 chroma mode (raw uncompressed pixels; other modes can ruin text clarity). The A6G and UP8000 theoretically both have that.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

drat you Windows 10!!

It's super irritating to have to rearrange everything after resuming from my locked PC or from when the monitors turn off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That would be the only TV under $300 I'd feel comfortable recommending based on the information available at RTINGS, so hopefully it works out. The rest of the budget options have various issues such as the lack of 4:4:4 support or bad viewing angles. If the model best buy has turns out to be a VA with bad viewing angles, then I'd consider stretching the budget for the LG UP8000 instead ($360 at best buy).

The main things you want in a TV when using it as a monitor are wide viewing angles (so the edges aren't discolored or washed out while viewing from up close), RGB subpixels (not a dealbreaker for most use cases as we've discussed extensively here, but nice to have), a low input lag mode so moving a mouse cursor doesn't feel sluggish, and a 4:4:4 chroma mode (raw uncompressed pixels; other modes can ruin text clarity). The A6G and UP8000 theoretically both have that.

At an old job we had one at a collaboration table that five people could sit around, but it was only 1080p. Everything was on the large side. It was pretty nice.

This one I want to try to use sitting a bit closer to (my desk is a folding table) but I want to run it at 4K so I get a ton of desktop space.

I have a 25" and 27" 1440p screen and one of the original LG 4K usb-c's on my desk now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Sorry about all the questions: I have one more. Is it normal to see the LG 27GP850-B brightness kind of "increase and decrease" as I do different things?

For example, when I pulled up this window with Firefox displaying the thread, the brightness subtly decreased, then increased. I wonder if this has to do with the "SMART ENERGY SAVING" feature, which is set to low.

I'll try turning it off and see if this continues.