Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i still like the cg mechas in vandread and that was 2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The 90s aren't coming back and with the mill demanding more grist with every year just to keep up with the new shows getting churned out of course they're going to use CGI where they can.

I do like the Origin's character design and the CGI for the series is overall really good, so I can't say I'm too broken up over it.

Lol that Kyoukai Senki does get the 2D mecha and then they proceed to accomplish nothing with the show.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i even liked Back Arrow's CG, but think Sunrise of all places has no excuse to not have better preserved this stuff especially if we start talking about a 79 remake

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol that Kyoukai Senki does get the 2D mecha and then they proceed to accomplish nothing with the show.

The 2D mecha are why the show exists.

It's basically a way for Sunrise to train up new crops of 2D mech animators for future projects. It selling plamo is how they justify it on the balance sheet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

The 2D mecha are why the show exists.

It's basically a way for Sunrise to train up new crops of 2D mech animators for future projects. It selling plamo is how they justify it on the balance sheet.

Did all the ones working on Battlelogue just die or something?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Did all the ones working on Battlelogue just die or something?

No, but the ratio of supply to potential demand is pretty unbalanced. Sunrise noticed years ago that hand drawn mechanical animation was a dying art, and since Gundam is their bread and butter, they wanted to do what they could to expand the pool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

No, but the ratio of supply to potential demand is pretty unbalanced. Sunrise noticed years ago that hand drawn mechanical animation was a dying art, and since Gundam is their bread and butter, they wanted to do what they could to expand the pool.

For every blank check Sunrise writes that gets a cowboy bebop it inversely gets a Kyoukai Senki, then? The toys must flow.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

For every blank check Sunrise writes that gets a cowboy bebop it inversely gets a Kyoukai Senki, then? The toys must flow.

When's the last time Sunrise did something like Cowboy Bebop, anyway? They've been pretty heavily focused on idols and mecha for a pretty long time now.

I'd also say that there's nothing in Kyoukai Senki's basic concept (toyetic real robot anime) that necessitates it being dreck. There's been plenty of solid original works that were also good at shifting plastic. It's just got a lousy writer.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

When's the last time Sunrise did something like Cowboy Bebop, anyway? They've been pretty heavily focused on idols and mecha for a pretty long time now.

I'd also say that there's nothing in Kyoukai Senki's basic concept (toyetic real robot anime) that necessitates it being dreck. There's been plenty of solid original works that were also good at shifting plastic. It's just got a lousy writer.

Well, it's not an original property, but just last year they did "Wave, Listen to Me!", a manga adaptation about a 26 year old woman whose drunken ranting after a disastrous breakup gets her a job doing a late night radio program, and in 2018 they did a spin-off of Tiger and Bunny.

Even now, they're doing the Inuyasha sequel, which might not be good, but it is successful without being an idol show or a mech show, so they're keeping some variety in the resume even if mechs and idols are their standard.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Darth Walrus posted:

Sunrise has ALWAYS had a heavy Mecha focus, like 85% of their output during the 70's and 80's was Mecha related

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah the moment I saw it was the same writer as GBD I was skeptical, and I checked out after the first two episodes. At least the models are cool.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bloody Pom posted:

Yeah the moment I saw it was the same writer as GBD I was skeptical, and I checked out after the first two episodes. At least the models are cool.

And boy does that lead writer show.

I will state for the record that I am watching it, I am enjoying it, it is quite bad but rarely in a particularly EXCITING way, I don't recommend it, and the designs and the action are both pretty good whenever they decide to do things with them.

Honestly it feels like it'll be in a Super Robot Wars a couple years down the line and when that happens Banpresto's rejiggering will make it into the definitive version of the series. See also happened with shows like Buddy Complex. Or SEED DESTINY for that matter.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I wouldn't really toot any horns about SRW's handling of Buddy Complex.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWwZRygR7nU

Lol, Char thinks he's Timothy Dalton in Living Daylights.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I mean, Amuro appears to think he's in Fight Century, so it's only fair Char gets to play pretend too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Darth Walrus posted:

Someone has blocked out Yasahime from their minds.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Merry Christmas Gundam Thread. I wish you all giant santa balloons to hide behind in your fight against your rival/love interest.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Quoting this every year the plague stays with us. Banagher Links, Omicron Gundam, taking off

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

jackhunter64 posted:

Quoting this every year the plague stays with us. Banagher Links, Omicron Gundam, taking off

I'm gonna break my "gotta finish the other Gundam series I need to watch or rewatch before I go back to Wing" to watch Endless Waltz tonight. I'm a horrible sucker for the whole sequence where Heero retrieves Wing Zero and it opens up with it's ridiculous wings.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I'm gonna break my "gotta finish the other Gundam series I need to watch or rewatch before I go back to Wing" to watch Endless Waltz tonight. I'm a horrible sucker for the whole sequence where Heero retrieves Wing Zero and it opens up with it's ridiculous wings.

I mean it's a very good moment.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like how it resembles a sex toy

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Wing Zero’s launch in Endless Waltz is one of the best scenes in the history of the franchise

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

That moment is sweet as hell but I still cannot get over how stupid the Waltz wings are

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you expect anything in wing to make logical sense, you lose.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

That moment is sweet as hell but I still cannot get over how stupid the Waltz wings are

One thing about Wing is that it has some of the most grounded feeling grunts while the main Gundams are G rejects. It's part of why they feel so insane.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I love the slow stiff robotic leo movements that are 80% hip swivel

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chiasaur11 posted:

One thing about Wing is that it has some of the most grounded feeling grunts while the main Gundams are G rejects. It's part of why they feel so insane.

Literally in fact, there's prototype designs for the main Wing Gundams that show very blatantly that the very earliest concepts for them were very much in the mold of G

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

drrockso20 posted:

Literally in fact, there's prototype designs for the main Wing Gundams that show very blatantly that the very earliest concepts for them were very much in the mold of G

IIRC Wing shows up in the big scene with all the Gundams towards the end.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if you expect anything in wing to make logical sense, you lose.

chiasaur11 posted:

For some reason I don't really have an issue with the other Gundams, because Wing is fuckin nuts to begin with so they fit right in.

I just really dislike the literal wings. The heavyarms having a giant robot sized clown mask? That's fine, but those wings are a step too far.

e: I also dislike the giant scissors from IBO, but I love the Gundam Hammer in any form and basically any of G's really really stupid poo poo. I apparently have insanely specific and arbitrary tastes when it comes to disliking something.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 27, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
How do you feel about Deathscythe Hell's wings, out of interest? Either version, really. Or both. Or Epyon and TV Wing Zero's wings, for that matter? Actually, is Sandrock the only Wing Gundam without flying additions, at any point? Altron has some maneuvering wings that probably allow it to fly, and even Heavyarms gets the damselfly helicopter pack in Glory of the Losers. I don't think Sandrock ever gets flight though.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 27, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how the deathscythe wings are like batwings. Adds to the grim reaper motif.

Certainly less goofy than the literal cape worn by the Crossbone and the excuses they come up with about it being a special anti beam cloak. Just say you wanted to put your gundam in a cape because it looks cool. I haven't read Frozen Teardrop but I hope it continues with the "gently caress it" attitude for why that one cover has the Wing wearing a tattered cape.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 27, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So the apparently only store to get some gundam stuff got a Heavy Arms model and I might have to blitz Gundam Content before it comes in. I think its from Endless Waltz, whatever that is, and I've been slacking lately thanks to xmas and post-booster syndrome.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So the apparently only store to get some gundam stuff got a Heavy Arms model and I might have to blitz Gundam Content before it comes in. I think its from Endless Waltz, whatever that is, and I've been slacking lately thanks to xmas and post-booster syndrome.

Endless Waltz is a 3 episode sequel to Gundam Wing. As for the watching, I'm not surprised Victory has defeated you. It's not a fun one to marathon.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

may as well just watch the EW movie version though

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chiasaur11 posted:

Endless Waltz is a 3 episode sequel to Gundam Wing. As for the watching, I'm not surprised Victory has defeated you. It's not a fun one to marathon.

Oh its not about being defeated, I just literally was too busy. I'm gonna marathon Victory tomorrow/tuesday.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tsob posted:

How do you feel about Deathscythe Hell's wings, out of interest? Either version, really. Or both. Or Epyon and TV Wing Zero's wings, for that matter? Actually, is Sandrock the only Wing Gundam without flying additions, at any point? Altron has some maneuvering wings that probably allow it to fly, and even Heavyarms gets the damselfly helicopter pack in Glory of the Losers. I don't think Sandrock ever gets flight though.

No feelings either way on it, it's dumb but it folds in and that's kinda neat. Epyon and TV's wings are also fine.

The literal bird wing/feather motif is what I hate, I think. Especially the weird flapping motion, I just cannot get any sense of how quickly or slowly it's moving and it just kinda ends up as some weird bird ufo with a big gun floating around, except way more boring than that sounds.

I'm fine with wings on robots, just not those specific wings.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 27, 2021

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i read them as exactly the same as sephiroth's wing, but like the robot version

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

So incredibly loving stupid

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Yinlock posted:

some weird bird ufo with a big gun floating around

The Zanneck does rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Yinlock posted:

No feelings either way on it, it's dumb but it folds in and that's kinda neat. Epyon and TV's wings are also fine.

The literal bird wing/feather motif is what I hate, I think. Especially the weird flapping motion, I just cannot get any sense of how quickly or slowly it's moving and it just kinda ends up as some weird bird ufo with a big gun floating around, except way more boring than that sounds.

I'm fine with wings on robots, just not those specific wings.

For me its that in a universe that has been largely hard sci fi tech (Leos are clunky, there is a development process behind the Gundams etc) suddenly decides that they would shift to do organic wings that don't have thrusters when everything else uses them to get around? It stands out as a really weird design that doesn't fit with the aesthetic of the show. None of the other gundams have any organic elements that move like the EW Zero's wing's do, and beyond them looking cool they don't actually make sense? How does it propel him in space by flapping? I dunno I love everything about that design minus the angel wings...