Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Protocol7 posted:

Why don’t anti-vaxxers understand that the very spike protein they’re afraid of in the vaccine is also, y’know, part of the actual virus?

What the gently caress are you talking about

They’re afraid of the 5G chips, nano machines, fetus blood, corrosive metals and other ingredients in the vaccine ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What virus?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

They’re afraid of the 5G chips, nano machines, fetus blood, corrosive metals and other ingredients in the vaccine ?

There’s some new study the anti-vaxxers are all sharing about spike proteins.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8538446/pdf/viruses-13-02056.pdf

The basic gist of it is RBD-based vaccines might have less side effects than the full spike protein. Gonna blow those anti-vaxx minds when they realize where the RBD comes from.

Also it’s another in-vitro study so I’m getting pretty skeptical of those.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

LOLbertsons posted:

If you have a reservation, they've likely gotten back to you already, but HoneyMoon, Lenoir, Saba San's/Bento Picnic, Canje, Hestia, Oseyo, Bouldin Creek Cafe, Cheer Up Charlie's, Shangri-La, and more coming.

Sucks, but they are all making the right choice, or only choice, since they are so short-staffed.

really curious if the spoon nye show is still gonna happen. seems like…….it probably definitely shouldn’t!!

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

Why don’t anti-vaxxers understand that the very spike protein they’re afraid of in the vaccine is also, y’know, part of the actual virus?

Yeah but in the actual virus it's like a wild animal that runs freely, whereas in the vaccine it's more like a dog that has been put on a leash and hasn't been fed, and those dogs are scary

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Well, the chuddy faction of the family is forcing a stand off over Christmas. A cousin had bros over Wednesday and of course one of them was positive. We asked them to do a home test just to be safe and they insist on doing it Monday after Christmas. Cool cool cool

On top of that there's a family funeral and a wedding all before New Years. My wife and toddler and I can duck those but it's looking to be a shiiiiitshow

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Thundercracker posted:

Well, the chuddy faction of the family is forcing a stand off over Christmas. A cousin had bros over Wednesday and of course one of them was positive. We asked them to do a home test just to be safe and they insist on doing it Monday after Christmas. Cool cool cool

On top of that there's a family funeral and a wedding all before New Years. My wife and toddler and I can duck those but it's looking to be a shiiiiitshow

just say you're sick ez

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Thundercracker posted:

If your cousin had bros over on Wednesday and they were infectious, your cousin very likely already is or will be imminently. Omicron is THAT fast. (I’m assuming masks and vaccines were not involved.)

Don’t rely on single home test results; they have a high false negative rate, and some evidence suggests that Omicron is taking longer than usual to show up on home tests (ie not PCR) because of where it replicates in the body.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

don't attend a gathering during the 2 day doubling time of a potentially lethal virus, perhaps

LOLbertsons
Apr 8, 2009

helsabot posted:

really curious if the spoon nye show is still gonna happen. seems like…….it probably definitely shouldn’t!!

The last show I saw before everything went into lockdown was the anniversary show of Peewee's Big Adventure, at the ACL Moody. Covid was on the radar, and the meet and greet with Paul Reubens was definitely no touching.

It looks like they'll go through with the Spoon, John Doe NYE show. They seem to be enforcing masking/negative tests 48 hours prior, but it seems stupid to go.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Just called out at unmasked lady at a Walgreens on Christmas Eve. I officially give no fucks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

liz posted:

Just called out at unmasked lady at a Walgreens on Christmas Eve. I officially give no fucks.

This is risky as hell because it's a good bet she's already hosed up and looking to swing on somebody.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did everyone stand up and clap?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

withak posted:

Albert Einstein flew down on an eagle and saluted the flag and everyone sang the Star Spangled Banner and Joe Biden gave him the Medal of Honor

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

withak posted:

Probably not but recognition isn't the point. I've publicly shamed the maskless too, although I live in a left-leaning area so it's been pretty rare to see someone without a mask on inside (and it helps that the businesses all have a "mask mandatory" sign on the front)

It is risky but it's also the right thing to do.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Thundercracker posted:

Zeria
Sep 8, 2003
Lobotomy Bob claims this forums newbie for evil.
Oh hey, this guy I knew is making all kinds of headlines.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/23/unvaccinated-michigan-diner-owner-who-defied-shutdown-dies-of-covid/

"An unvaccinated Michigan diner owner who bucked a state shutdown during the coronavirus pandemic has died of COVID-19.

The hard-working vet and father of three wasn’t vaccinated, relatives said.

“However, during his battle, when he was able to talk, John shared with his family that he will be getting vaccinated because the battle, at that point, was worse than any training he endured in the military,” according to the fundraiser signed by the families."

Zeria fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 25, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Probably not but recognition isn't the point. I've publicly shamed the maskless too, although I live in a left-leaning area so it's been pretty rare to see someone without a mask on inside (and it helps that the businesses all have a "mask mandatory" sign on the front)

It is risky but it's also the right thing to do.

Right now is my first time dealing with people defying the mask mandate and my mom told me straight up that they’re probably looking for a fight. So mean mugging it is.

I think I might explode scanners style once I land back on Swedish soil.

I really don’t like how this pandemic has brought out a dark contempt for people I’ve truly never felt before. Like I’m so angry so often, and I fear that the longer this goes on, the shorter and more frayed this fuse gets. There are so many suffering and so loving exhausted, all trying to do the right thing, and then there’s these assholes.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

teen witch posted:

I really don’t like how this pandemic has brought out a dark contempt for people I’ve truly never felt before. Like I’m so angry so often, and I fear that the longer this goes on, the shorter and more frayed this fuse gets.

Haha, yeah, it's great :unsmigghh:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

teen witch posted:

I really don’t like how this pandemic has brought out a dark contempt for people I’ve truly never felt before. Like I’m so angry so often, and I fear that the longer this goes on, the shorter and more frayed this fuse gets. There are so many suffering and so loving exhausted, all trying to do the right thing, and then there’s these assholes.

It was nicer before when I didn't know how many people around me are just amoral fuckheads. Ignorance really is bliss.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Zeria posted:

Oh hey, this guy I knew is making all kinds of headlines.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/23/unvaccinated-michigan-diner-owner-who-defied-shutdown-dies-of-covid/

"An unvaccinated Michigan diner owner who bucked a state shutdown during the coronavirus pandemic has died of COVID-19.

The hard-working vet and father of three wasn’t vaccinated, relatives said.

“However, during his battle, when he was able to talk, John shared with his family that he will be getting vaccinated because the battle, at that point, was worse than any training he endured in the military,” according to the fundraiser signed by the families."

Stayed open to pay his wifes cancer medical bills , damned either way it seems. :shrug:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is exactly why the UK puts up such eye watering numbers, and also, I'm certain, the "solution" the Tories will have in the new year.

I got a bill today showing my insurance was charged $4100 for a rapid and a PCR test. I'd post it but I'm on my phone and need to blur some details.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'm wondering at what point fatigue with restrictions will get to the point of being 'screw it' even for responsible pro-vax folks who follow all the precautions. 3 years, 4 years ?

The light at the end of the tunnel is pi, rho and sigma variants boarding the train.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Baconroll posted:

I'm wondering at what point fatigue with restrictions will get to the point of being 'screw it' even for responsible pro-vax folks who follow all the precautions. 3 years, 4 years ?

The light at the end of the tunnel is pi, rho and sigma variants boarding the train.

6 months ago?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, already happened.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

withak posted:

Yeah, already happened.

This.

Side note, I am visiting my mom for the Holidays (Colorado to Virginia) and it is such a mind trip seeing people out and about without masks acting like it never happened.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Jeeze. Small sample size, sure, but it seems like half the people I know have tested positive in the last week or so, and every one of them is at least double vaccinated, if not boosted.

Fortunately, every case in my social sphere ranges from asymptomatic to "bad head cold" level, but I think it's about to be a real shitshow for my half-unvaccinated state.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Jeeze. Small sample size, sure, but it seems like half the people I know have tested positive in the last week or so, and every one of them is at least double vaccinated, if not boosted.

Fortunately, every case in my social sphere ranges from asymptomatic to "bad head cold" level, but I think it's about to be a real shitshow for my half-unvaccinated state.

If boosted means not spending your xmas on a ventilator then iv'e made a good choice. :)

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Exactly as described, what's the problem

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Exactly as described, what's the problem

Devil's Advocate:

I've seen reputable sources say 90%+ of Omicron cases will be asymptomatic, hospitalizations and deaths have been massively lower in regions where Omicron came first and has burned through the population, and maybe most importantly: the news and holidays caused a surge in testing, even from people who were asymptomatic.

So yep, hockey stick case count, as expected. That's still logically consistent with an unironic "mild all good 8)"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

teen witch posted:

yeh one of my big dysfunctions is feeling a gaping chasm between myself and other folks as a general manner of course, and lol if the pandemic didn't just stick a crowbar in that motherfucker and widen it

now it's the fuckin' grand canyon

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I still think the majority of people are mostly fine, but probably a full third of the US population is irredeemably insane

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I got a bill today showing my insurance was charged $4100 for a rapid and a PCR test. I'd post it but I'm on my phone and need to blur some details.

Did the insurance just go “lol we are paying $50”?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Tenchrono posted:

This.

Side note, I am visiting my mom for the Holidays (Colorado to Virginia) and it is such a mind trip seeing people out and about without masks acting like it never happened.

https://twitter.com/choo_ek/status/1473719319293005825

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
that's lovely about those tests costing so much, or any, money. i got my booster the other day and they literally had tables stacked with rapid tests which you could just pick up on the way out if you wanted some.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
We met up for a family vacation and nobody told me my brother was sick. I’m the only one concerned about covid (so I naturally get really weird looks when I bring up the implications here).

He didn’t get tested prior to visiting, despite him already being sick and working in a chud owned restaurant where a coworker of his tested positive. Im a little peeved to say the least. He’s younger and also lives in a place that thought Covid was defeated in 2020, so naturally he’s not super concerned and didn’t know Long Covid was a thing.

After about 2 days of constant exposure to him I have a cough and feel gross. Still gotta fly back home (or figure out a way to rent a car one way) tomorrow and I can’t afford to miss work.

I’m triple vaxxed and no pre existing conditions so I’m likely fine, just pissed.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

buglord posted:

We met up for a family vacation

I can’t afford to miss work.

Sounds like you mad a pretty dumb choice then.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Harriet Carker posted:

Sounds like you mad a pretty dumb choice then.

No kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just lol at people who still have family