Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Holmgang and living dead are rough for dungeons because they really only start mitigating damage when you’re at 1 hp. Thus there’s a lot of communication involved, as if the healer’s bombing you in green numbers while those are up, then no actual mitigation is happening.

Superbollide is actually great mitigation in comparison, since it gives the healer 10 seconds to get you to enough hp to live after those 10s are up. I throw a regen and an instant and that’s generally enough.

I mean if you’re hanging with your healer buddy in voice and say “gonna LD this pull, save heals for after it pops” then I could see that working, but that’s a lot of communication for roulette pugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yesterday when i was trying to take a nap i came to realize that since all the Sage spell names are greek-based, all the spells like Kerachole, Taurochole, Druochole, etc., all rhyme with broccoli.

i did not get much sleep

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I try to use superbolide once or twice per dungeon. I don't bother letting the healer know, they figure it out soon enough.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Chillgamesh posted:

Superbolide is great, it just got buffed in EW to last 10 seconds instead of 8 too. Just let your HP drop and then hit it at like 40-20%.

I remember healing a bardam's mettle once and the GNB was like 'Ok I am going to use superbolide on the first pull'. I thought, 'ok cool that was nice of him to give me a heads up'.

Then he pulls a ton of mobs and hits the button while still at 75% health. :ughh:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I remember healing a bardam's mettle once and the GNB was like 'Ok I am going to use superbolide on the first pull'. I thought, 'ok cool that was nice of him to give me a heads up'.

Then he pulls a ton of mobs and hits the button while still at 75% health. :ughh:

I had the same drat thing happen a few hours ago in the 87 dungeon. GNB said "bolide" as he was pulling and popped it while he was still nearly full.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

Superbolide is great, it just got buffed in EW to last 10 seconds instead of 8 too. Just let your HP drop and then hit it at like 40-20%.

Warn your healer first because 20% is when they’re hitting panic buttons

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Nothing quite like using Superbolide immediately after a Benediction.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

yesterday my party accidently queued into 5678 with 3 dps and a healer and we got saint mocainnes hard. The conflux of endgame dungeons being kind of toothless, two expansions of removal making us stronger, and probably a little bit of the number squish we just went through it anyways and still got to wall pull. Pretty weird experience overall and it honestly took probably about the same amount of time, although it was definitely just trolling our healer doing this.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Holmgang is good in dungeons because the WAR can more or less heal themself to full with Raw Intuition/Bloodwhetting, though it does require the healer to be informed/notice or else they will waste resources. Living Dead is basically only useful as an emergency button or planned in advance with a WHM, since other healers will really struggle to heal through it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I had to heal a Dark Knight through Living Dead without Benediction the other day (they were well below the gear curve in the 89 dungeon and I'd already used it on the previous pull), it took chain Cure IIs under Temperance. Shouldn't be impossible but barrier healers tend to have a rougher time if they're about tapped on resources.

On the flipside, while I'm appreciative of tanks using their long cooldowns in trash pulls, surprise Hallowed Ground/Superbolide right as they plant with a wall pull is kind of its own frustration when I'm spamming Holy and the enemies aren't really doing anything for the first 6 seconds or so.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ngl if I'm solo queueing roulettes as a tank I hate when the healer is a WHM because half of them know Holy exists and the other half don't, and you have to play completely differently depending on which side the coin lands on

At least you know what to do for the rest of the dungeon after the first pull though

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
When raiding is it better to hit my cooldowns as soon as they come up so they line up with everyone elses or wait until i have my oGCDs and resources to use them in the cooldowns? I tried doing the extremes for the first time, and on Gunbreaker it feels really lovely when my Gnashing Fang combo or Blasting Zone slowly get out of sync with No Mercy due to The GCD cooldown or having downtime on the boss due to dodging a mechanic. It's also ridiculous trying to fit everything in to No Mercy when Bloodfest is off cooldown. I'm not even sure it is possible. Hope you don't need to use a defensive cooldown either because you're constantly animation locked.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I save the superbolide until I'm nearly dead. Maybe I'll waste a benediction but more likely I won't

RME
Feb 20, 2012

CJ posted:

When raiding is it better to hit my cooldowns as soon as they come up so they line up with everyone elses or wait until i have my oGCDs and resources to use them in the cooldowns? I tried doing the extremes for the first time, and on Gunbreaker it feels really lovely when my Gnashing Fang combo or Blasting Zone slowly get out of sync with No Mercy due to The GCD cooldown or having downtime on the boss due to dodging a mechanic. It's also ridiculous trying to fit everything in to No Mercy when Bloodfest is off cooldown. I'm not even sure it is possible. Hope you don't need to use a defensive cooldown either because you're constantly animation locked.

There’s a few exceptions to hitting stuff asap and things like the GNB ammo combo is one of them, since it’s on the GCD as a cooldown it scales with sks but no mercy is a fixed 60s, you should always hold every other ammo combo for no mercy.
EW in general seems to be a bit messier with classes that have drifting built in, again largely because they put things on the gcd and scale them with sps/sks

e; I will say I haven’t really looked at too much gnb stuff since shb so maybe this is outdated by my sense is it should still hold, especially with jobs being so locked into 60/120 now

RME fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 25, 2021

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

RME posted:

There’s a few exceptions to hitting stuff asap and things like the GNB ammo combo is one of them, since it’s on the GCD as a cooldown it scales with sks but no mercy is a fixed 60s, you should always hold every other ammo combo for no mercy.
EW in general seems to be a bit messier with classes that have drifting built in, again largely because they put things on the gcd and scale them with sps/sks

e; I will say I haven’t really looked at too much gnb stuff since shb so maybe this is outdated by my sense is it should still hold, especially with jobs being so locked into 60/120 now

Why would i need to hold the Gnashing Fang combo? Its cooldown is 30 seconds so it will ideally line up with No Mercy. The problem is if i ever don't hit Gnashing Fang the instant it doesn't come off cooldown because i'm in the middle of a GCD or i can't get in melee range of the boss, i then have to hold No Mercy for Gnashing Fang.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

CJ posted:

Why would i need to hold the Gnashing Fang combo? Its cooldown is 30 seconds so it will ideally line up with No Mercy. The problem is if i ever don't hit Gnashing Fang the instant it doesn't come off cooldown because i'm in the middle of a GCD or i can't get in melee range of the boss, i then have to hold No Mercy for Gnashing Fang.

It’s 30s at a 2.50 gcd, it actually becomes shorter with any amount of sks, enough that it can easily come up a gcd before no mercy

As far as adjustments like that it’s fight by fight, there’s no real universal answer. Sometimes you just need to better about gcd uptime and sometimes you just have to do the best you can. Keep in mind invuln phases might let you re-align yourself

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Why did they change the name and icons of the samurai uptime buffs anyways.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Because they're granted by the AoE now, too, so they wanted to decouple them from the single-target skill names. Same deal with, like, Dragoon's Disembowel buff becoming Power Surge and Warrior's Storm's Eye becoming Surging Tempest.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hogama posted:

Because they're granted by the AoE now, too, so they wanted to decouple them from the single-target skill names. Same deal with, like, Dragoon's Disembowel buff becoming Power Surge and Warrior's Storm's Eye becoming Surging Tempest.

Ah ok I haven't touched DRG or WAR yet in 6.0 so I didn't know it was done there too. That's cool.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

didn't they used to share names and icons with the second move of the flower and moon combos? now that they can be applied by both the aoe combos and the third moves (under meikyo shisui) they've been treated more uniquely.

e: beaten. I think it's interesting that while they made it easier and less clunky to apply those buffs, you still learn them in the opposite order from how you should use them. Fuka's GCD reduction is slightly more optimal to get before Fugetsu's damage increase, but you "learn" Gekko (moon finisher) first (slightly complicated by SAM starting with all three combos, obv)

Valentin fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 25, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vermain posted:

The fact that SGE's initial leveling dungeon range is 71-79 will end up leaving new healers with a sour taste in their mouth. Even for experienced healers, it can be a truly nightmare experience because of how difficult certain pulls are, especially when neither you nor the tank are downscaled for that dungeon's range. 80+ is mostly smooth sailing, since you have access to both Panhaima and Haima and can alternate between the two on large pulls.

I've been having an oddly good time in dungeons like Ravel and Malikah's as a WAR with SGE healers. (Got stuff in that range 3-4 times from LDR in the last week.) Maybe the Sages are working harder then I notice, but things on my end felt pretty comfy.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Idk if it actually is overpowered but Sage definitely feels incredibly easy to heal with. Your oGCDs are all beastly strong and you can slap a GCD overshield on the tank between every pull without issue

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Clarste posted:

Nothing quite like using Superbolide immediately after a Benediction.

It is an immutable law of nature.

"A Gunbreaker will always Superbolide immediately following a Benediction."

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Got Conjurer to 30 which mean't two things, I unlocked the Unicorn mount and I unlocked White Mage which has alot of buttons (at least, in terms of healing) but thankfully, not alot like Black Mage.

Anyway, I probably should stop loving around and digging my heels and actually finish the Stormblood post-patches storyline and do Shadowbringer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

Idk if it actually is overpowered but Sage definitely feels incredibly easy to heal with. Your oGCDs are all beastly strong and you can slap a GCD overshield on the tank between every pull without issue

Same can be said for SCH. The new 90 skill with a 20s sprint and 10% damage reduction is great for that.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Harrow posted:

In Shadowbringers I'd often plan to use Superbolide on a couple of pulls and let the healer know ahead of time, though I'm finding lately that enough healers are letting me nearly die or straight-up die during pulls that I need to save Superbolide for actual emergencies now.

i've been catching up my whm the past week-ish and i've noticed that every time I get an ARR dungeon higher than totorak in my daily leveling roulette my tanks are getting absolutely flattened, like "nonstop maximum throughput heal spam isn't enough to keep up" levels of damage

everything is fine if it's post-arr, just those mid range arr dungeons seem to be dishing out way more damage than they used to

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

blatman posted:

i've been catching up my whm the past week-ish and i've noticed that every time I get an ARR dungeon higher than totorak in my daily leveling roulette my tanks are getting absolutely flattened, like "nonstop maximum throughput heal spam isn't enough to keep up" levels of damage

everything is fine if it's post-arr, just those mid range arr dungeons seem to be dishing out way more damage than they used to

I noticed Toto rak being a bit worse than usual. The odd thing is that ARR stuff wasn’t squished. HW dungeons seem to have gotten much easier with the squish on the other hand.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

General Products Tanking Tip for the Holiday Season: You should also try using Arms' Length on the big pulls. Unless that doesn't work any more.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Oddly I had the quickest Toto-rak of my life two days ago. We cleared it in basically three pulls and three bosses, took us almost exactly 10 minutes and 10 seconds.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Got this on farm, easy clears, come join, we need a dorito."

One of these things is not like the others...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dorito is a crutch. Learn how the snakes work it’s not hard!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SettingSun posted:

Dorito is a crutch. Learn how the snakes work it’s not hard!

I also like the raid waypoints that go right on top of the markers the stage already has, make it difficult to see, and if you accidentally use them for anything except the meteor mechanic you will die because they're wrong.

Are other servers getting that mess or is it a Primal thing? Just putting all 8 waypoints around the arena. The only place I've found a waypoint really helps is the magic pixel for Akida Snakes melee uptime.

Edit: ...speaking of which, is there a way to edit saved waypoints without going into the instance? The one I have saved has some mess I'd like to tidy up but when I'm in there with seven other people it always feels like I'm in their way if I do bookkeeping.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 25, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The problem I always have is I keep forgetting the snakes spawn behind you and you have to spin your camera looking for them. They're not on every variation of the mechanic and I don't do the fight enough to remember when they spawn and when they don't

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I find the waypoints for the meteors useful. It's easier to think "go to A then go to C" than "go left then go up-left no wait I turned round what way was it again?"

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm going through the 4.1 story now. The treasure hunt was a nice bit of fun, and it was good to see Nanamo making a real effort to learn how to do politics. I also liked seeing how plans were being made to restart the Ala Mighan economy and get their refugees back home.

But then there's the Fordola redemption arc. I'm not gonna sympathize with her, ever. Even the tragic backstory only made me more convinced she was full of poo poo. I don't even understand her thought process. I can't even connect the loving A to B in her supposed plan to help her people. The Garleans won't accept us, won't see us as people, no matter how we serve them or assist them in oppressing our kin. Therefore, the best way to help out my countrymen, is to form the most ruthless band of murderers and commit ourselves fully to aiding the Garleans in whatever way they ask. Somehow, this will result in... ? I don't even know.

This isn't even some "ends justify the means" bullshit, it's just complete nonsense. The most generous possible reading I could give is that it's some mental gymnastics to justify her need for power as some selfless act. But the story thus far has proven that she was completely wrong, that her evil only created even worse ends for her people. Oh but she feels bad about having to see a small fraction of the atrocities her pet stormtrooper unit carried out, and she helped us fight a primal with her unique gift that was only made possible by killing hundreds of her countrymen so I guess we should thank the little nazi! Holy poo poo, I loving hate this.

e: wow I got a lot angrier from the start of this post to the end of it, time to take a break.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 25, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cheetah7071 posted:

The problem I always have is I keep forgetting the snakes spawn behind you and you have to spin your camera looking for them. They're not on every variation of the mechanic and I don't do the fight enough to remember when they spawn and when they don't

I’ve been slowly learning to press V to check behind me for stuff like that. Real slowly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i gotta say, titles like "An Amal'jaa's Worst Enemy" feel a bit off in the game's current sociopolitical environment

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

so I guess we should thank the little nazi! Holy poo poo, I loving hate this.

loving lol, do you think this is happening?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Please don’t thank the little nazi, please do use spoiler tags. Merry Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

hazardousmouse posted:

loving lol, do you think this is happening?

Yes, one of the village elders literally thanks her after the fight. Like it's not ambiguous, that's exactly what happened.

e: OK, maybe you think I meant that they thanked her for the death squad thing? No, I don't think that, I know they thanked her for fighting the primal and not the other poo poo.