Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Resin, Elegoo Mars 2 Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Tis the season for airbrush shenanigans, apparently. Having replaced the packing screw, I tried to spray and transmuted a few drops of primer into an overflowing cup of bubbles. Stripped the whole thing down, ran a pipe cleaner with a bit of alcohol through the body, gently removed the nozzle o-ring and removed an embarrassing amount of buildup from around it. Put everything back together with the packing screw just loose enough that I wasn't quite forcing the needle through.

No more bubbles!

But the primer laydown is off. It's building up quickly on parts but not actually covering the plastic. I'm not sure if it isn't actually atomizing or if I just need to mix it more thoroughly after sitting on my desk for a few weeks.

It is funny going back to the breech assembly and wondering why me from three months ago decided to spend what must have been hours painstakingly masking it just to use the wrong colors.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
There is basically no time at which you don't need to shake your primer way more than you'd ever expect. Stuff loves to separate no matter the brand or color.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
My Vallejo Gloss Black separates in what feels like minutes after I shake it like a madman. The effect is the same: it looks okay when it goes on, but when it dries the coverage is very poor.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

my Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 works great with minimal shaking. It does need to be thinned at least 50/50 with Mr Color Levelling thinner though.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

punishedkissinger posted:

my Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 works great with minimal shaking. It does need to be thinned at least 50/50 with Mr Color Levelling thinner though.

This is my go-to as well. Great stuff.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Mr Color leveling thinner is the best stuff ever. I thin almost anything that isn't water based with it. Tamiya acrylic, Tamiya lacquers, Mr Hobby paint, AK paints, etc. It just works beautifully and really does level nice.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mr. Color Levelling thinner is the champagne of thinners.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'd love to know the formula so I could make my own at 1/10th the price. I bet it is just some kind of lacquer thinner mixed with a glycol (ethyline or propyline) retarder.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SkunkDuster posted:

I'd love to know the formula so I could make my own at 1/10th the price. I bet it is just some kind of lacquer thinner mixed with a glycol (ethyline or propyline) retarder.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I figured it might be in the MSDS, but hadn't looked it up. Now I just need a chemist to decipher all that and tell me what I need to buy at the hardware store.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
all you need is diacetone alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, isobutyl alcohol, mibk and BH-33 industrial cleaner

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

all you need is diacetone alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, isobutyl alcohol, mibk and BH-33 industrial cleaner

My hardware store is kind of limited, but I think I can get Diatomaceous Earth, isopropyl alcohol, more isopropyl alcohol, and MEK. I'll have to check to see what cleaning supplies they have.

When you go to war, you go with the army you have, not the army you wish you have.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
If you're willing to gently caress around with MEK to save some money on thinner, I would question whether your brain can afford even the most incidental exposure to it.

In all seriousness MEK is pretty potent stuff (which also melts polystyrene*)

*and lung tissue

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Vorenus posted:

If you're willing to gently caress around with MEK to save some money on thinner, I would question whether your brain can afford even the most incidental exposure to it.

In all seriousness MEK is pretty potent stuff (which also melts polystyrene*)

*and lung tissue

I shoot lacquers almost exclusively through my airbrush, so I buy lacquer thinner by the gallon for cleaning and use Mr. Color Leveling Thinner for thinning paints, so I don't see any need for MEK in modeling. However, I have heard that it is a good substitute for Tamiya or Mr. Color extra thin cements. If my hardware store sold it in 1qt cans, I'd give it a try, but the only thing they have is 1 gallon cans for about $35. One little 4oz bottle of Tamiya or Mr. Color cement lasts me for years, so I can't justify buying a whole gallon.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SkunkDuster posted:

I shoot lacquers almost exclusively through my airbrush, so I buy lacquer thinner by the gallon for cleaning and use Mr. Color Leveling Thinner for thinning paints, so I don't see any need for MEK in modeling. However, I have heard that it is a good substitute for Tamiya or Mr. Color extra thin cements. If my hardware store sold it in 1qt cans, I'd give it a try, but the only thing they have is 1 gallon cans for about $35. One little 4oz bottle of Tamiya or Mr. Color cement lasts me for years, so I can't justify buying a whole gallon.

If you want a bulk sub for thin cements, you could get some Methyl-Chloride, also known as Dichloromethane or DCM. They often carry it at stores for sign-making supplies or general plastics, or stores that sell sculpting/casting/special effects supplies. You can usually get a liter for under $20, and that's basically a lifetime supply.

It works great on styrene, but it's chemical makeup is slightly different than something like Tamiya extra thin. I recently just found that while Tamiya extra thin can be used to thin out their tube putty, if you try to thin the putty with DCM it just instantly dries and hardens it. It's also toxic as poo poo, so best to transfer small amounts into an old glass bottle for use, and keep the larger tin stored safely away.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you want a bulk sub for thin cements, you could get some Methyl-Chloride, also known as Dichloromethane or DCM. They often carry it at stores for sign-making supplies or general plastics, or stores that sell sculpting/casting/special effects supplies. You can usually get a liter for under $20, and that's basically a lifetime supply.

It works great on styrene, but it's chemical makeup is slightly different than something like Tamiya extra thin. I recently just found that while Tamiya extra thin can be used to thin out their tube putty, if you try to thin the putty with DCM it just instantly dries and hardens it. It's also toxic as poo poo, so best to transfer small amounts into an old glass bottle for use, and keep the larger tin stored safely away.

iirc DCM isn't just "don't let your toddler get it" toxic, it's "don't get it on your skin" toxic. As in, the safety info recommends closed-toed shoes and a either a fume extractor or a respirator.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Blue Footed Booby posted:

iirc DCM isn't just "don't let your toddler get it" toxic, it's "don't get it on your skin" toxic. As in, the safety info recommends closed-toed shoes and a either a fume extractor or a respirator.

Yep, which is the exact same as any thin cement used in modeling. They're all dangerous as poo poo.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

just received this for christmas. any tips on this kit/ in what way should it have been knocked out?

edit: oops!

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 25, 2021

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I don't see a picture :shrug:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

just received this for christmas. any tips on this kit/ in what way should it have been knocked out?

Out of gas or broken transmission.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Gewehr 43 posted:

Out of gas or broken transmission.

I was thinking a bunch of guys trying to crank it on maybe? How can you show a busted transmission?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I bought myself the Tiger Haynes manual for Christmas and suggest doing a diorama based on this photo

Otherwise there's always the Tiger 131 way and put some small gouges in the gun and mantlet and add some Germans running away.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

I was thinking a bunch of guys trying to crank it on maybe? How can you show a busted transmission?

I was just being facetious and jabbing at the All Powerful Teutonic Tiger. Its glass drivetrain and lack of fuel supply probably disabled more of them than any enemy fire. That said, a dio about a tranny change would be pretty involved.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Modelling thread, what cement for joining ABS?

I have some (full-size) motorcycle plastics that have cracked, and I planned on stop-drilling the endpoints then gluing it back together since it's relatively unstressed. AI recommended I use a plastic cement for that rather than my initial idea of Jbweld Plastic.

I have a little jar of dichloromethane that I bought to do some fixes on busted Transformers, but is there a better option? People from a different motorcycle board mentioned using the cement they join sewer plumbing with, but that seems unnecessarily aggressive and gloppy to boot.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
A Tiger with a broken transmission would be tough to show, since you had to take off the turret in order to extract it. A broken engine would be much easier, Tamiya makes a Tiger engine kit complete with technicians.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There's also the option of it being high-centered on a rock or something. That has the handy side benefit that if you ever want to reuse the tank or have it sitting there with a scene you can just take it off the rock or something.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Have a fuel bowser and a few annoyed guys standing around.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vimoutiers_Tiger_tank

Or give it free France markings:

https://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/history/bretagne-panther-history/

edit: oh no! Panthers are not Tigers!!

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 26, 2021

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
According to the troops on the ground, germany had many tigers on the western front.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Phy posted:

Modelling thread, what cement for joining ABS?

I have some (full-size) motorcycle plastics that have cracked, and I planned on stop-drilling the endpoints then gluing it back together since it's relatively unstressed. AI recommended I use a plastic cement for that rather than my initial idea of Jbweld Plastic.

I have a little jar of dichloromethane that I bought to do some fixes on busted Transformers, but is there a better option? People from a different motorcycle board mentioned using the cement they join sewer plumbing with, but that seems unnecessarily aggressive and gloppy to boot.

You want what you have. Dichloromethane/DCM/ plastruct bondene for ABS. PVC glue won't work, that's acetone. I mean I it will melt ABS, but not weld as well as DCM.

If for some reason the DCM doesn't work, try MEK. There are a lot of ABS formulas and you'll never figure out what to use beforehand.

Also, the joint won't be as strong as before. When you re-noodle plastic monomers together the monomers don't interweave as well as the virgin plastic. So you might need to add a laminate to help transmit tension across the crack.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A bunch of crewman with frostbitten fingers trying to disassemble the interleaved road wheels to clear the frozen mud

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Something involving Rainbow Dash so we can finally understand the struggle of the Wehrmacht soldier.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

MyronMulch posted:

Something involving Rainbow Dash so we can finally understand the struggle of the Wehrmacht soldier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DnRn9hyFU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A museum diorama, the Tiger is being bukkake’d by wheraboos

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Anybody have experience with Stellar Effects Modeling Solutions or just "lighting kits" in general?

Got a big Enterprise for xmas and already bought some etch bits and a transparent deflector dish. I'm looking at lighting kits and, for one, none of them are well described. For 2 it seems like the main thing you're buying is a control chip and sound effects. I may be a man child but I don't need sound effects. Seems like I'd be better off picking up some fiber optic filaments for the tiniest lights and using my supply LEDs & 9V plugs to make my own rats nest.

Do you need the special cutter for fiber optic filaments?

DiHK fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 29, 2021

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DiHK posted:

Do you need the special cutter for fiber optic filaments?

No. They're not actually glass like the real thing, just plastic you can cut with anything.

Not familiar with the company though. If I need a lighting kit, I've typically gone with something from Voodoo FX.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 29, 2021

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

so if I have tamiya cement what do I need CA glue for?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

the paradigm shift posted:

Metal, resin, your fingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

the paradigm shift posted:

When you cut yourself with your hobby knife and don't want to get a band aid.