Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

leftist heap posted:

Well I'm sure 10% inflation is also a political winner.

Just saying that the government's primary motivation is maintaining the asset bubble, personally I'd be really happy if material reality got in their way and destroyed the housing market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

leftist heap posted:

The federal government just renewed the 2% inflation mandate. Do you think the BoC is going to go against it?

They are afraid of repeating 2008 a lot more than inflation

Politically speaking the median voter owns a home, it's appreciating a lot faster than inflation.

The 1% also hold assets which beats inflation.

Propping up the current asset bubble is where the 1% and median voter actually share common interest.

Inflation is relatively slow, and mostly punish people with cash savings, if you are a 45+ you are scared that your RRSP or house drops by 50% than the price of a couch going up by 5% a year.

Typo fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 16, 2021

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/Taleeb/status/1471285751283425280?s=20

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED everyone.

The government is addressing number one problem of the housing crisis, moving to put an end to hot Chinese money snapping up properties in Miramichi, NB.

Prices will return to normal shortly. It's over!!!!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Now we just need to ban tax cheats from running for government.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I can't wait for the sweet, sweet tears from American millionaires whining about their foreign property here being taxed.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

leftist heap posted:

The federal government just renewed the 2% inflation mandate. Do you think the BoC is going to go against it?

leftist heap posted:

Well I'm sure 10% inflation is also a political winner.

leftist heap posted:

The housing market is extraordinarily bad in this country and some of yall still want to invent guys to be mad at

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Tangentially related to real estate, but one of the things that has become glaringly obvious to me since moving away from Victoria and then returning to visit yearly is how bizarre the taxi cartel is here.

For instance, Victoria is the only city of its size I've ever been to where for the longest time there was no public transit option to get from the airport arrivals terminal into the city centre, forcing you to pay for a $70+ cab ride. Even now, Google Maps informs me that to take the bus from the airport, you need to walk all the way to the long term parking stand, catch a local bus at a tiny bus stop, and then transfer to a bus into downtown Victoria. By contrast, the cab stand is literally right outside the terminal.

This is representative of the broader issue I experienced growing up, which was that cabs were always way overpriced and generally lovely. If you stayed out late in town as a young person and you lived in the 90% of the CRD that BC Transit doesn't serve after midnight -- or, frankly, barely at all after about 10pm, you'd better be ready to drop your entire paycheck on a cab bill. EVERYBODY I know from Victoria who travels abroad gushes about how cheap taxis are elsewhere and how amazing it would be to have ride hailing apps available here.

Now the BC Transportation Board has denied Uber a request to operate in Victoria (https://x99news.com/2021/12/17/bc-transportation-board-denies-uber-application-to-operate-in-interior-vancouver-island/). The reason?:

quote:

...the board is not convinced that there is a public need for the requested service. Furthermore, the board believes that the application, if granted at this time, would would not promote good economic conditions in the passenger transport sector in BC, for these reasons the application is rejected.

This is despite Uber presenting pretty compelling evidence that there is in fact a huge amount of demand for alternative transport options.

I'm not a huge fan of Uber, but if there's any industry that needs some disruption it's cabs in Victoria. With so many people living farther from the city centre, it either needs some new form of public transit to seriously improve connectivity (which will never happen any time soon, because CRD) or some greater competition for private options that at least make it possible to go from downtown to Langford after dark without taking out a mortgage to pay for it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

HookShot posted:

I can't wait for the sweet, sweet tears from American millionaires whining about their foreign property here being taxed.

When the BC vacancy tax got passed it was literally non-stop whining in the local paper from boomers both domestic and American, it was hilarious

MeinPanzer posted:

Tangentially related to real estate, but one of the things that has become glaringly obvious to me since moving away from Victoria and then returning to visit yearly is how bizarre the taxi cartel is here.

The fact there is still no public transport from the loving AIRPORT is baffling. Transit has improved over the last few years generally through. The taxis are still lovely (esp yellow cab who have some sort of exclusive contract with the airport - they are the only ones allowed to pick up from there)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Alctel posted:

When the BC vacancy tax got passed it was literally non-stop whining in the local paper from boomers both domestic and American, it was hilarious

The fact there is still no public transport from the loving AIRPORT is baffling. Transit has improved over the last few years generally through. The taxis are still lovely (esp yellow cab who have some sort of exclusive contract with the airport - they are the only ones allowed to pick up from there)

BC transit had to go to battle with the private bus company to even have a direct non-milkrun route from Victoria to the ferry. Grayhound or whoever raised holy hell saying it was the government using taxes to compete with private enterprise. As part of this delicate issue they promised not to directly serve the airport so free enterprise could be protected. They also apparently have data that tells them "no one would ride it" because currently everyone drives there, thus adding transit would be pointless.

It's also a matter of priorities. Our transit system is woefully underfunded and understaffed and there's routes where full buses are passing by crowds of people, that's where they try to add service rather than to an airport route they don't think many people will actually use.

I wish they'd just jack up property taxes and fund a tram system designed and constructed by europeans and expand the bus system too.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
BC Transit has definitely added more buses along major routes, but the transit network itself -- as in, where it reaches -- has, as far as I can tell, changed way less in the last decade than the demographic makeup of Victoria has. Add to this the fact that the Mackenzie Interchange was a huge fiasco that has apparently done very little to alleviate traffic congestion and it certainly feels like very little has changed in terms of getting around the greater Victoria area by transit.

quote:

BC transit had to go to battle with the private bus company to even have a direct non-milkrun route from Victoria to the ferry. Grayhound or whoever raised holy hell saying it was the government using taxes to compete with private enterprise. As part of this delicate issue they promised not to directly serve the airport so free enterprise could be protected. They also apparently have data that tells them "no one would ride it" because currently everyone drives there, thus adding transit would be pointless. It's also a matter of priorities. Our transit system is woefully underfunded and understaffed and there's routes where full buses are passing by crowds of people, that's where they try to add service rather than to an airport route they don't think many people will actually use. I wish they'd just jack up property taxes and fund a tram system designed and constructed by europeans and expand the bus system too.

lol I remember when I'd get off the ferry at Swartz Bay as a foot passenger, see the downtown milk run bus sitting there waiting, watch everyone trying to get into town hop on it, and then waiting like 10 minutes with a handful of people who actually knew how BC transit operated for the direct downtown bus to roll up after the first one had left. Of course nowhere did it indicate that one took like 45 minutes longer than the other to get downtown.

The airport cab monopoly is such loving bullshit. Absolutely infuriating collusion between the government and these lovely cab companies. The last city I lived in in the UK was almost exactly the same size as Victoria, with its airport a similar distance from downtown, and it had a 10-bay bus terminal attached directly to the airport serving the entire city and its suburbs with buses running regularly about 18 hours a day.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 17, 2021

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I suppose you guys aren't excited for RapidBus: BC Transit's new rebranding of its existing buses to seem like they're improving service. Sounds like a Bus Rapid Transit plan, right? Exactly! That is exactly the impression the RapidBus plan was designed to give without actually being a BRT.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Flocons de Jambon posted:

I suppose you guys aren't excited for RapidBus: BC Transit's new rebranding of its existing buses to seem like they're improving service. Sounds like a Bus Rapid Transit plan, right? Exactly! That is exactly the impression the RapidBus plan was designed to give without actually being a BRT.

Sounds like it's deliberately creating ambiguity as RapidBus already means something specific in the TransLink context.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I'll take your word for it. I'm not well versed in the mainland way of doing things.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mantle posted:

Sounds like it's deliberately creating ambiguity as RapidBus already means something specific in the TransLink context.

Considering TransLink's RapidBus is also simply limited stop service in different coloured buses intended to sound like BRT, it's spot on.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Debates about transport links and infrastructure within greater Victoria have been raging as long as I can remember (proposals to revive an actual lower Vancouver Island commuter train have been in the "we're strongly looking into this, we mean it" stage for at least a quarter of a century) but to my knowledge the only significant changes that have actually been implemented are:

1. The Mackenzie Interchange.
2. More bike lanes in and around downtown.
3. Better bus service to and from the ferry terminal.

The net impact of which has been modest, to say the least. Actually, I take that back -- the bike lanes have probably caused at least a few hypertensive boomers to drop dead out of pure apoplexy, so that is an improvement.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

Debates about transport links and infrastructure within greater Victoria have been raging as long as I can remember (proposals to revive an actual lower Vancouver Island commuter train have been in the "we're strongly looking into this, we mean it" stage for at least a quarter of a century) but to my knowledge the only significant changes that have actually been implemented are:

1. The Mackenzie Interchange.
2. More bike lanes in and around downtown.
3. Better bus service to and from the ferry terminal.

The net impact of which has been modest, to say the least. Actually, I take that back -- the bike lanes have probably caused at least a few hypertensive boomers to drop dead out of pure apoplexy, so that is an improvement.

The bus to the ferry is very good, as someone who lives a block away from one of the stops.
A train to Langford/Sooke/etc would be a game changer.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The bike lanes have been good where they exist. The other municipalities need to start doing a way better job connecting to them though.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty convinced a train is never ever happening again and at this point it's just a consulting grift.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

leftist heap posted:

The bike lanes have been good where they exist. The other municipalities need to start doing a way better job connecting to them though.

Yeah I think this gets at the core issue, and what makes Victoria exceptionally (uniquely? I'm not familiar with other Canadian cities that might be in a similar political situation) lovely in terms of address social and economic issues: the structure of the CRD means that anything that requires concerted effort to address, from policing to housing policy to transportation to sanitation, inevitably runs up against municipal fragmentation. It's insane that 380,000 people are represented by 13 municipalities.

Case in point: Langford pushing through huge amounts of residential development and shifting population to the western communities, leading to way more people commuting by vehicle into the City of Victoria, while the City of Victoria itself builds bike lanes that reduce parking spots. Adding more bike lanes is obviously a good thing, but that kind of development needs to be part of a bigger coordinated plan to improve public transit options throughout the CRD.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bring back the Dayliner.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

McGavin posted:

Bring back the Dayliner.

I have a lot of fond memories of taking it up to Chemainus and Courtenay for the day in the summer. Bring that sucker back!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

MeinPanzer posted:

Yeah I think this gets at the core issue, and what makes Victoria exceptionally (uniquely? I'm not familiar with other Canadian cities that might be in a similar political situation) lovely in terms of address social and economic issues: the structure of the CRD means that anything that requires concerted effort to address, from policing to housing policy to transportation to sanitation, inevitably runs up against municipal fragmentation. It's insane that 380,000 people are represented by 13 municipalities.

Identifying broken connections in cycling infrastructure between municipalities in Greater Vancouver has been a big focus of the regional cycling advocacy group for the past few years. https://bikehub.ca/get-involved/ungapthemap

Last I heard, TransLink is putting some money into addressing at least some of these gaps.

But yeah it's kind of a problem with how the Province and cities are organised. The actual metropolitan areas are Balkanized into more than a dozen municipalities each, and the next level of government up from that is the Province. And the Province is really more set up to deal with rural issues, like long distance infrastructure and resource extraction, than it is to build and coordinate urban infrastructure. Plus the BC Liberals' base was largely outside the cities, so there was a fair bit of neglect over the nearly 20 years they were in power.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

McGavin posted:

Bring back the Dayliner.

Someone just needs to cough up half a billion to fix the line first.

Unironically I think we should, but you gotta convince the Province of that.

Also lol, here's the latest South Island Transportation Strategy: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/d...ion_-_final.pdf

Lol there are pages of text paying lip service to active transportation and transit, and more than a dozen goals. But when you actually look at the goals, they're 90% "encouragement" and "investigation", and "ensuring it gets thought about during existing projects". And then there are are four highway project goals just quietly listed. Each has very firm language, like "complete" or "construct", and each represents tens to hundreds of millions of dollars.

So yeah, good luck getting MOTI to put any significant amount of money into anything that isn't car infrastructure.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

As a new Canadian I should celebrate by buying the biggest house my income can afford and taking the lowest variable rate mortgage that will almost certainly leave me insolvent with a rate rise of 10 basis points

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So yeah, good luck getting MOTI to put any significant amount of money into anything that isn't car infrastructure.

Meanwhile, watch this video to get real mad at how cities with similar climates can make incredibly significant changes to get people out of cars in short order.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI-1YNAmWlk

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Flocons de Jambon posted:

lol.

The old Surrey council was completely behind an LRT system for Surrey that would connect major growth centres Newton and Guildford, and be cheap enough to be easily expandable to the vast other areas of Surrey. Activist group SkytrainForSurrey seemingly successfully shifted public opinion toward Skytrain to Langley and BRT for Newton and Guildford, noting that Skytrain's sketched out BRT option was "just as good as LRT." The old council was thrown out and the new one bailed on LRT in favour of Skytrain/BRT.

Of course the completely expected thing occurred. Skytrain is wildly expensive and once the plan became reality it was wildly over budget. The overruns naturally came via trimming down the other part of the plan, the BRT for Newton/Guildford. Now the BRT which SkytrainForSurrey claimed was "just as good as LRT" has become RapidBus, which is effectively a rebranded bendy bus B-Line with a few bells and whistles. In absolutely no loving way the sort of BRT that SkytrainForSurrey claimed would be adequate and certainly not comparable to LRT.

All of this has been great for people living in Langley, and the detached home owners in ultra low density suburban sprawl Fleetwood (on the way to Langley) that will be able to sell their homes to developers for a mint.

On the losing end is everyone in Newton/Guildford, the most populated centres of Surrey that had been densifying the most for the last several years, and who will be getting what amounts to a minor bus upgrade and now will be thrown to the back of the line for any and all transit upgrades, presumably not to get anything new for some 10+ years.

Personally I think a skytrain to Langley is great, I have family in Langley, but I can't help but marvel at how Surrey voters somehow completely hosed themselves. I don't understand how they didn't see this a mile away. I guess skytrain is just so shiny and fast people couldn't see past that.

Maybe Newton/Guildford peeps will get super lucky and somehow some charismatic politician will propose building them some skytrain spur line (if this is even technically possible) and they'll jump to the head of the line somehow, ahead of the North Shore, Vancouver UBC line and SFU, but doesn't seem terribly likely to me. Nah it's more likely they'll be riding the lousy bus for a long time to come.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 18, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

I have a lot of fond memories of taking it up to Chemainus and Courtenay for the day in the summer. Bring that sucker back!

I have fond memories of spitting on it with all my friends as it went under the bridge we had to cross to get to school. Also putting pennies on the tracks before school and picking up the flattened ones after school.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Boy I wonder why vacancy is so low and rents keep going up???? Total loving clown show.

quote:

Split vote by DNV council quashes Maplewood Gardens redevelopment plan

Five years after it was first proposed, District of North Vancouver council has shot down a major redevelopment proposal for Maplewood.

Darwin Properties and QuadReal Property Group had sought to build 374 condos, 99 market rental homes and 80 below-market rentals, plus commercial space at the aging Maplewood Gardens complex on Old Dollarton Road and the adjacent industrial buildings on Front Street.

The developers largely tailored five buildings in the proposal to fit the district’s official community plan and Maplewood village centre plan, but a split council voted 4-3 to defeat first reading of the rezoning bylaw, Monday night.

The project was to be phased so tenants of Maplewood Gardens could move into the new below-market housing before the 1972 townhouse complex was demolished. The developers had committed to using no fossil fuels for heating, hot water or cooking in the buildings, and the tallest building in the proposal – a 12-storey tower – was to be constructed with mass timber, which sequesters carbon.

Mayor Mike Little quickly moved to defeat the proposal, saying the 12 storeys was a non-starter for him.

“I've been very open with this developer from the very beginning, very early stages on this one, saying that I didn't think tower format was appropriate for the Maplewood area,” he said.

Little said the developers would have done well to seek council’s input sooner so they could help design a project that could find enough votes to proceed, rather than fail to even advance to a public hearing.

Couns. Lisa Muri, Jim Hanson and Betty Forbes joined Little in voting down the project. Other issues included the amount of traffic congestion already in the area and number of market-priced units.

“The infrastructure cannot handle any more density in this area and if council chooses to go forward, there will be a significant uprising in the Seymour on this application because already the infrastructure has failed us,” Muri said.

Hanson said he might have voted differently had there been a different mix of rental and below-market housing proposed.

“In the 2018 election, I made a promise to vote for rental, social, supportive and affordable housing and against market housing,” he said. “There's too much market housing and too many parking spaces.”

Coun. Megan Curren lamented the majority on council’s fixation on traffic, when the project would have gone a long way to addressing the community’s climate, transportation and housing needs, all of which need to change, she said.

“I do feel like young folks in particular are really feeling left behind by the decisions that we're making,” she said. “We have to rethink the systems and as policy makers, that is our job to do that. ... These are complex decisions, and it can't be distilled down to parking spaces. These are about people's lives.”

Coun. Jordan Back and Mathew Bond also voted against killing the project.

Bond warned his fellow council members that a majority No vote does not guarantee the status quo will remain at the site, which will have implications for the current Maplewood Gardens tenants.

That was confirmed by Jason Turcotte, Darwin president, who told council the complex had reached the end of its useful life.

“To think that it would continue in its current state is false thinking,” he said. “It would require significant upgrades were it to remain intact, such that the existing residents would not in all likelihood be able to remain.”

After 5 fuckin' years of work North Van District spikes a proposal that would have met environmental goals, fit within the existing plan, and would have helped with the insanely low vacancy rate. Crazy man.

And so things will continue to get worse.

The last bolded passage at the end suggests that next step is reno-fuckin-viction for the existing tenants of the current buildings, as if redevelopment is not possible, well renovation is the only way forward. If so NVD will have killed a plan that would have created below market homes and would have enabled existing tenants to remain on site and instead all those existing tenants will be displaced by yuppies paying a fortune to rent a dolled up, lovely decades old building because that's the only option.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Femtosecond posted:

Boy I wonder why vacancy is so low and rents keep going up???? Total loving clown show.

After 5 fuckin' years of work North Van District spikes a proposal that would have met environmental goals, fit within the existing plan, and would have helped with the insanely low vacancy rate. Crazy man.

And so things will continue to get worse.

The last bolded passage at the end suggests that next step is reno-fuckin-viction for the existing tenants of the current buildings, as if redevelopment is not possible, well renovation is the only way forward. If so NVD will have killed a plan that would have created below market homes and would have enabled existing tenants to remain on site and instead all those existing tenants will be displaced by yuppies paying a fortune to rent a dolled up, lovely decades old building because that's the only option.

Here's the application on the DNV website - Council report is attached in the very bottom.

Here's the Council meeting recording - Staff presentation at 1:15:00, Council deliberation begins at 1:27:00. lmfao the Mayor's motion to defeat the application was immediately seconded.

What a surprise - the developer bends over backwards, accommodates the tenants to their best possible ability, the application was fully consistent with the OCP (height was to be determined on a case-by-case basis), provided secured below-market rental housing, and enjoyed staff support, and yet it was still defeated by Mayor and Council in a 4-3 vote lmfao.

edit: Council could have referred the application back to staff with specific direction on what could be amended, but no, they killed the application dead instead lol lmao

Just some details regarding the 58-unit Maplewood Gardens site (tenant relocation, unit-for-unit 'replacement, etc) from the report.

quote:

Goal 5: Minimizing Impacts to Tenants
The redevelopment of the subject site is proposed to be phased to minimize
displacement of existing residential tenants. Phase 1 will include the demolition of
the existing industrial buildings for the construction of the non-market rental
building and a mixed-use building. Prior to commencing Phase 2, which will
include the demolition of the existing "Maplewood Gardens", existing tenants will
be offered first right of refusal in the non-market rental building (provided they are
income-qualified through BC Housing), and the strata building.

quote:

Rental Replacement Units (58 units)
Fifty-eight (58) units are proposed to be operated by the BC Housing Management
Commission and targeted towards "Low- and Moderate-Income" households as defined
by BC Housing. For 2021, the maximum household income limit is $75,730 for
residential units with less than 2 bedrooms, and $117,080 for units with 2 or more
bedrooms. The proposed rents will be set initially as per the table below and BC
Housing will adjust starting rents annually to remain 25% below market rents.

quote:

Tenant Relocation Assistance
Due the timing of detailed rezoning application submission on July 4, 2019, this
proposal is reviewed against the previous version of the Residential Tenant Relocation
Assistance Policy (RTRAP) from 2018.

There are currently 58 rental units on the site. The applicant proposes to construct the
80-unit non-market rental in Phase 1 along with the mixed-use strata building, prior to
the demolition of the existing rental units in Phase 2 (see image below). This provides
the opportunity for the existing tenants to move into the newly built rental units or
purchase a newly built strata unit, should they wish to do so.

The tenant assistance package proposed includes the following provisions:

• Existing tenants have not had their rents raised since 2016;
Page 27
• Existing tenants will be given right of first refusal to move into a new non-market
rental unit or purchase a strata unit;
• Tenants will be notified three months ahead of anticipated construction
completion of the new non-market rental building;
• Tenants will receive their first month free in new building;
• A number of tenants have expressed interest in purchasing a home at
Maplewood Gardens. Tenants will be provided with first access to purchase a
home prior to any public sales launch; and
• Throughout the process, a professional tenant liaison has been made available
to assist with tenant needs and questions.

The proposed assistance package does not include assistance with moving expenses,
residency bonus for long time tenants, rental discounts for returning tenants, and
purchase discounts for existing tenants. The applicant notes they will work with the
existing tenants to finalize the details of all aspects of the assistance package as the
project advances.

Hubbert fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 18, 2021

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Last few years have broken my brain, what did something like this used to go for? I am just shocked to see anything under $350k

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/307941874495443

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Alctel posted:

Last few years have broken my brain, what did something like this used to go for? I am just shocked to see anything under $350k

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/307941874495443

REW Insights says around $310K in 2019, $270K in 2018, barely over $100K in 2004. So "only" a doubling in price after inflation.

e.g.

https://www.rew.ca/insights/1537740/308-1061-fort-street-victoria-bc
https://www.rew.ca/insights/1537747/315-1061-fort-street-victoria-bc

Edit: built in 1963. Also I'm getting claustrophobia just looking at the pictures.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 21, 2021

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

REW Insights says around $310K in 2019, $270K in 2018, barely over $100K in 2004. So "only" a doubling in price after inflation.

e.g.

https://www.rew.ca/insights/1537740/308-1061-fort-street-victoria-bc
https://www.rew.ca/insights/1537747/315-1061-fort-street-victoria-bc

Edit: built in 1963. Also I'm getting claustrophobia just looking at the pictures.

Yeah that went up a lot less than I thought it would have. I guess that it's just too small for the people with money to buy a house

I live in a boat and even I went 'wow that's really tiny'

Also the kitchen is upstairs and separated from the bathroom by a hanging drape, unless I'm missing something

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Notice how they do not mention the square footage anywhere.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

McGavin posted:

Notice how they do not mention the square footage anywhere.

Yep. REW has other units in the building listed as 406-422 sqft, but I've lived in a place that was 330sqft, and it was way bigger than that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It doesn't have an apartment number but BC assessment has some studios in that building at 318 square feet.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

HookShot posted:

It doesn't have an apartment number but BC assessment has some studios in that building at 318 square feet.

That is tiny, wow. My office/dining room/guest bedroom/bike storage/freezer room is only a little smaller than that.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Canada should temporarily ban foreign home buyers, rezone cities - housing minister

OTTAWA, Dec 21 (Reuters) - Municipalities should rezone broadly to allow more density and Canada should temporarily ban foreign buyers to help alleviate the housing affordability crunch faced by residents, the country's housing minister said on Tuesday.

Ahmed Hussen told Reuters in an interview that housing should be for Canadians to live in, not passive foreign investment, and that he backs Canadian cities implementing density measures like those recently rolled out in New Zealand, which allow up to three homes to be built on most single-family lots.

"I support that," he said. "That's one of the ways to easily increase housing supply by using the same land for single-family dwelling and creating more units."

"Any measure that increases the housing supply, that intensifies the use of land, that builds more housing and that frees up more housing on the same amount of land, is a good thing," he added.

Canada is grappling with a national housing crisis, as surging demand tied to the COVID-19 pandemic has sprawled beyond big cities and into smaller centers, which are unable to keep up with supply.

A typical home in Canada now costs C$780,400 ($603,791), up 25.3% this year and by 81.4% since November 2015, when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberals took power. Home price gains in smaller centers have outpaced those in large cities during the pandemic.

Trudeau, who won his third term in September, has promised new measures to improve housing affordability, including a temporary ban on foreign buyers and 1.4 million new or refurbished homes over four years.

Hussen said he supports the foreign buyer ban, but did not provide any details on how and when it would be implemented, deferring to Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland.

Hussen noted a 1% tax on foreign-owned vacant or underused real estate would take effect on Jan. 1 and said the Liberal government is working hard to get other taxes, like an anti-flipping tax, in place as soon as possible.

"This will enable us to reduce the speculative demand in the marketplace. It'll help cool excessive price growth," he said.

Canada has limited statistics on foreign ownership of housing. In 2019, 4.3% of homes in Vancouver were owned by non-residents of Canada, jumping to 13.6% for newer condos, official data shows. In Toronto, 7.7% of newer condos are owned by non-residents.

Hussen said consultation work has already begun on designing a rent-to-own program, which will help renters buy their first home. The Liberals also promised a tax-free down-payment savings program for first-time buyers.

Those two measures alone will cost taxpayers C$4.2 billion over four years, according to Trudeau's election platform. They have not been officially budgeted as yet.

But critics worry first-time buyer supports will drive up home prices, unless coupled with measures to tamp down demand. Hussen will study measures like larger down payments for investor owners, but gave no timeline for completing that work.

"This has been dealt with by other countries," he said. "And it'll be interesting to see what are some of these measures that they implemented and what results have they had."

New Zealand tightened mortgage lending requirements for investors this year in an attempt to slow rapid price escalation. In October, the country moved to rezone broadly to allow more housing density.

Nice to see a growing consensus that we can't continue to devote the majority of areas in our cities for exclusive detached home use.

They aren't actually able to implement this policy so there's no risk for the Liberals to vaguely suggest that this is a good idea.

If the Liberals have data that suggests that foreign buying remains a pressing issue, especially in areas outside of Vancouver/Toronto that already have taxes I'd like to see it. Feels like an insincere electoral promise, the intent being to have something on the page, not to solve some real problem.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Actually, if we we put more and more people into inadequate houses there's no housing shortage, I am very smart.

https://financialpost.com/opinion/g...2f97904488/amp/

Let's just pretend there's no relationship between house size and family size, or household size and supply of housing and then we are no longer the worst in the G7 lol.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 25, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

evilpicard posted:

Actually, if we we put more and more people into inadequate houses there's no housing shortage, I am very smart.

https://financialpost.com/opinion/g...2f97904488/amp/

Let's just pretend there's no relationship between house size and family size, or household size and supply of housing and then we are no longer the worst in the G7 lol.

I've been seeing a lot of "we're making more houses than net population growth" articles, but I get the sense they're using new housing starts without subtracting old housing demolished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

I've been seeing a lot of "we're making more houses than net population growth" articles, but I get the sense they're using new housing starts without subtracting old housing demolished.

I would think demlishions are negligible. Quick Google shows 940 permits in Vancouver in 2016. Vast majority old poo poo boxes not worth renovating.