Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Dropping a can of spray foam on an oscillating tool blade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Has anyone had success using vibration dampening work gloves without losing too much dexterity?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
My fingers used to go numb when I spent an afternoon on the brushcutter and then I bought these: https://www.amazon.ca/Ergodyne-9000-Certified-Lightweight-Anti-Vibration/dp/B003WT1Q1S and it went away. Vibration white finger is a real thing.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Christmas money officially burning a hole in my pocket. Looking at thickness planers, is the Ryobi flavor any good? Not seeing any good deals at the moment, sadly Direct Tools Outlet doesn't have the Ridgid in stock any longer, and looks like even the cheaper WENs aren't available. Not sure if there's really much difference in the lunchbox ones, or if even the old Bauer standby it's better.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...P1305/316461103
SKU# 316461103

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Has anyone had success using vibration dampening work gloves without losing too much dexterity?

I use cyclist’s fingerless gloves.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Bob Mundon posted:

Christmas money officially burning a hole in my pocket. Looking at thickness planers, is the Ryobi flavor any good? Not seeing any good deals at the moment, sadly Direct Tools Outlet doesn't have the Ridgid in stock any longer, and looks like even the cheaper WENs aren't available. Not sure if there's really much difference in the lunchbox ones, or if even the old Bauer standby it's better.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...P1305/316461103
SKU# 316461103

I would honestly spend a bit more and get the Ridgid R4331.

Other options are the dewalt lunchboxes.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I loving hate Ryobi planers. Wanna know why??

*gestures to sparking smoking pile of heap behind me*

....yeah.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Literally A Person posted:

I loving hate Ryobi planers. Wanna know why??

*gestures to sparking smoking pile of heap behind me*

....yeah.

What's your post history got to do with it?

runs away creakily

But seriously folks. Get a used floor standing Delta. They are beastly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Mambold posted:

runs away creakily

Lol

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mr. Mambold posted:

runs away creakily

And put it where?

The DW735 is plenty good for me.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Slugworth posted:

Weight really should be a big factor for purchasing circular saws. Currently my only circular saw is a huge corded Milwaukee, and it's great and all that it's powerful enough to kill God, but it's heavy enough that I avoid using it whenever I can feasibly use something else.

lighter weight saws are more dangerous, greater chance of kickback.

ALso if you cut using proper technique the weight doesn't really play a role

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Define too much, but the fingerless idea might not be bad. I always had a ton of trouble until I lucked into finding a pair that fit perfectly, so if you want fingers part of it might be just trying on a tons of different brands and sizes. I like the Ace store brand ones I eventually found so much that I'm thinking about getting pairs for each of my cars as part of my cold weather/emergency kit since they would make changing a tire or chiseling ice out of a wheel well in single degree temperatures much less unpleasant.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

:vince:

I am undone.

:lol:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Any slick storage strategies for drill bits and stuff?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I keep mine in a block of wood, same as you would router bits.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

If you have a 3d printer there are some models for it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

deimos posted:

If you have a 3d printer there are some models for it.

I've been browsing thingiverse but they're mostly material-inefficient models.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

CommonShore posted:

Any slick storage strategies for drill bits and stuff?

Yeah, I throw them all into a shoebox and then complain for a half an hour everytime I try to find a 3/8 drill bit.

:shepface:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Now I wanna just take a block of wood, clamp it to the drill press, and drill holes in increasing sizes all the way down, each time just unchucking the bit without removing it from the hole

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

HolHorsejob posted:

Now I wanna just take a block of wood, clamp it to the drill press, and drill holes in increasing sizes all the way down, each time just unchucking the bit without removing it from the hole
Well duh. How else would you do it?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Thanks for the heads up on the Ryobi planer. Sounds like best plan is Ridgid at a minimum, and a DeWalt 734/735 if I can find a deal. I'll probably be kicking myself for not picking up a Ridgid on DTO for the next couple decades, imagine they don't pop up very often, especially at sub $200.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

LightRailTycoon posted:

I use cyclist’s fingerless gloves.

I've tried these and light and heavy leather gloves without much success :smith:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Define too much, but the fingerless idea might not be bad. I always had a ton of trouble until I lucked into finding a pair that fit perfectly, so if you want fingers part of it might be just trying on a tons of different brands and sizes. I like the Ace store brand ones I eventually found so much that I'm thinking about getting pairs for each of my cars as part of my cold weather/emergency kit since they would make changing a tire or chiseling ice out of a wheel well in single degree temperatures much less unpleasant.

Too much would be losing the ability to grip a grinder

DreadLlama posted:

My fingers used to go numb when I spent an afternoon on the brushcutter and then I bought these: https://www.amazon.ca/Ergodyne-9000-Certified-Lightweight-Anti-Vibration/dp/B003WT1Q1S and it went away. Vibration white finger is a real thing.

Yea this is kinda what I was going for, I saw this and was curious if the padding would help AND I could still hold an angle grinder/die grinder/sander without dropping it. Golfers and tennis elbow suckkk. I bought an elbow brace that I'm hoping helps. I also try and suspend the tools but I don't always have a ceiling. I need a fuckin skyhook

TheBeardedCrazy
Nov 23, 2004
Beer Baron

Golfers and tennis elbow suckkk. I bought an elbow brace that I'm hoping helps.

Slight derail but be careful with those, they feel good in the moment because they unload the painful tendons but over time if you use them too much the tendons get weaker and will end up hurting more because your body will adapt to the lesser load. Your best bet is actually to do shoulder/rotator cuff strengthening exercises to get your larger/proximal muscles stronger, unload your forearm/elbow, and build a good foundation of strength for your whole arm. Grip strength is actually directly related to shoulder muscle strength. I'm a physical therapist, might want to get in with one if it's really bad, you can PM me if you have any questions.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
The gloves that I have aren't slick. The biggest gripe I have about them is everything feels like it's about an inch bigger than it really is due to the thickness of the padding. You could probably get away with skinnier gloves, just look for the ISO 10819 certification. But when it comes to angle grinders the form factor is something to consider. There are rat-tail type grinders and ones that aren't. If you grip it around the motor you're going to get more vibrations than if you've got a rubberized handle sticking out the back. It's like https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-9a-angle-grinder-with-bonus-cut-off-disc-guard-5-in-0547151p.html vs. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/certified-5-5a-angle-grinder-4-5-in-0547159p.html. I don't like the second kind.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

TIL the Makita KP312 is a thing... And if it wasn't for the price...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

deimos posted:

Looks like a fun-sized killdozer.

:killdozer:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

TheBeardedCrazy posted:

Slight derail but be careful with those, they feel good in the moment because they unload the painful tendons but over time if you use them too much the tendons get weaker and will end up hurting more because your body will adapt to the lesser load. Your best bet is actually to do shoulder/rotator cuff strengthening exercises to get your larger/proximal muscles stronger, unload your forearm/elbow, and build a good foundation of strength for your whole arm. Grip strength is actually directly related to shoulder muscle strength. I'm a physical therapist, might want to get in with one if it's really bad, you can PM me if you have any questions.

Someone warned me about wearing it too often. I've had a rotator cuff injury in the past and can't throw a baseball remotely close to how I used to, PMed for sure thank you!

deimos posted:

Do you timber frame?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Do you timber frame?

No, but why would that stop me? :black101:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

deimos posted:

No, but why would that stop me? :black101:

Stop?? No friend... encourage. You're thinking too small

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAJ-8DglmBI&t=154s

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Stop?? No friend... encourage. You're thinking too small

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAJ-8DglmBI&t=154s

But that's not handheld! Honestly I would get a Hammer A3 if freight to me wasn't 50% of the price.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

:siren: santa has reformed me into a team makita boy :siren:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Welcome to the winning team, friend.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Hail Santa!

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
That's funny, Santa brought me red toys this year :getin:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Santa didn't bring me any Milwaukee this year but I did get some electrical tools. Must have been a Fluke.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Airconswitch posted:

That's funny, Santa brought me red toys this year :getin:

So that's why Milwaukee is that colour huh...

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Literally A Person posted:

Welcome to the winning team, friend.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

deimos posted:

Samurai carpenter uses this all the time. It's pretty neat.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just got home from buying 18 Durham large parts drawers from a guy. My garage is going to be organized as gently caress. :bisonyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Just got home from buying 18 Durham large parts drawers from a guy. My garage is going to be organized as gently caress. :bisonyes:

So that's what those things are called. So drat jealous. Post gloriously organized pics please.