Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if freeza wasnt so durable the spirit bomb would have killed him imo... it hosed him up pretty bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the man survived being cubed so trunks didn't actually gently caress him up. qed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Aurora posted:

frieza was totally fine copium

Considering he wasn't any weaker, didn't even lose an eye, and only lost a bit of his tail?

Yeah I'd say he was fine. He shrugged it off. It wasn't like Vegeta where that spirit bomb cratered his ability to fight

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

zzzzz

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Burkion posted:

Considering he wasn't any weaker, didn't even lose an eye, and only lost a bit of his tail?

Yeah I'd say he was fine. He shrugged it off. It wasn't like Vegeta where that spirit bomb cratered his ability to fight

i think freeza was pretty hosed up and running out of juice by the time goku went super saiyan myself... at least in the manga

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
The spirit bomb pissed Freeza off enough to explode Krillin, so when you think about it the spirit bomb killed Krillin

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Lunatic Sledge posted:

The spirit bomb pissed Freeza off enough to explode Krillin, so when you think about it the spirit bomb killed Krillin

sounds successful to me tbh

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure why you think being obnoxious about a basic fact of the story is a good call but you do you. The entire stated thing was that the Spirit Bomb did jackshit but piss off Freeza. He was too durable for it, sure

Kid Buu is too immortal for SSJ3 to work, same thing. The difference is that SSJ3 remained worthless and never accomplished anything outside the movies because either SSJ4 or God/Blue/Ect were introduced thereafter.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i think goku in super saiyan 3 could have killed kid buu if he were able to maintain it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think freeza was pretty hosed up and running out of juice by the time goku went super saiyan myself... at least in the manga

He doesn't start to run out of juice until he goes 100% super muscle mode, which is after the spirit bomb. The spirit bomb hosed him up as much as the kaioken kamehameha did Vegeta, which is to say, not much

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
speaking of muscle mode, what was the deal with Tien getting extra jacked in the android saga, was that just animation weirdness or what

I thought I had imagined it but TFS made a joke about it, dude bulked up in a way training doesn't really do in DBZ

maybe the larger shoulders made for a stabler Kikoha

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The spirit bomb damaged Freeza but not enough to matter in any meaningful way. He still would’ve effortlessly slaughtered everyone if not for Super Saiyan and the damage from it didn’t slow him down at all against Goku

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

No Dignity posted:

He doesn't start to run out of juice until he goes 100% super muscle mode, which is after the spirit bomb. The spirit bomb hosed him up as much as the kaioken kamehameha did Vegeta, which is to say, not much

hes missing part of his tail and one of his eyes is closed... looks hosed up to me

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 26, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
He’s just giving a knowing wink

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Just enough to make him go
"Wait can he keep doing that? That could be a problem, I should take this more seriously."

Like, it didn't do much, but it did enough that if Freeza were to stand still while Goku spammed it, it'd kill him eventually.

Which is more than anything else he'd been hit with in years, besides the Destructo Disk.
(That was before this right?)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

speaking of muscle mode, what was the deal with Tien getting extra jacked in the android saga, was that just animation weirdness or what

I thought I had imagined it but TFS made a joke about it, dude bulked up in a way training doesn't really do in DBZ

maybe the larger shoulders made for a stabler Kikoha

Getting super jacked for a bit is a general Cell and android saga thing.

See Super Vegeta and Hulk Trunks, Maybe tien is slow anyway so he doesn't mind the speed loss.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Goku sacrificed Krillin so he could gain power, when you think about it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Captain France posted:

Just enough to make him go
"Wait can he keep doing that? That could be a problem, I should take this more seriously."

Like, it didn't do much, but it did enough that if Freeza were to stand still while Goku spammed it, it'd kill him eventually.

Which is more than anything else he'd been hit with in years, besides the Destructo Disk.
(That was before this right?)

agreed. freeza was hosed up from the spirit bomb but a hosed up freeza is still stronger than everyone else on namek and the spirit bomb scared him enough that he decided to stop loving around and start killing everyone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Frieza just kind of forgot how hosed up he was when SS came out but consistency isn’t Toryiama strong suit

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

:hmmyes:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
At least Caulifla was excited about Super Saiyan 3. I hope she shows up again using it sometime.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Frieza just kind of forgot how hosed up he was when SS came out but consistency isn’t Toryiama strong suit

no but he wasn't hosed up by it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

SSJ3 is not "explicitly a joke"

The fandom deciding it's a joke and how it's treated in the story are two different things. It's absolutely supposed to be this big cool dramatic deal when Goku first uses it.

It losses every fight its been in and the other time it's shown off its Goku going "Hey wanna see a cool light show that'll keep you busy for a little bit and eat up all my remaining time?"

The other character to use it is Gotenks, who is basically a gag character who is the dumber parts of two very stupid children.

It's a loving joke even in narrative.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
super saiyan 3 is good actually

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Are people calling SS3 a joke because it's not very effective or do they mean its supposed to be funny?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think Goku is actually really proud he managed to achieve SSj3 and I think you should all respect that with more kindness

plus Cauli wants to achieve it and you hypocrites would cheer her every second she was using it

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Are people calling SS3 a joke because it's not very effective or do they mean its supposed to be funny?

some people have very rigid beliefs about power levels despite what the show displays

it's sad really

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's not a joke, it's just not very useful.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah it's this. It's not intentionally bad like Trunks's roid form, just unintentionally. The fusion dance already takes up the "power up with a strict time limit" space.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i think it's narratively useful to have a special attack or new transformation simply not work from time to time, or else you'd always know when the hero was about to win and remove all tension from the climax of the fight

that said, if they cared much about that, they'd have to give vegeta at least one win some time so we know it's not impossible

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yup. It's strong and fast, and also burns through energy faster than anything else.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Shyrka posted:

At least Caulifla was excited about Super Saiyan 3. I hope she shows up again using it sometime.

she's going to master it and achieve Super Saiyan 3-2

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Plus Goku didn't train extensively in it while alive. Gotenks gets Fusion cheats to use it, but Goku met with Beerus and got his SSJ3-self schooled like around six months post-Buu (in the anime). He didn't have the time or inclination to fully master it, like he did SSJ1 and like Trunks did SSJ2. Presumably, Mastered SSJ3 would have the same bonuses (greatly increased strength, greatly lessened ki drain) those forms do.

With SSG and SSB entering the picture, though, there's no real reason to go back and try to make SSJ3 an effective tool for Goku.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think to some degree SSJ3 was intended to be silly which is why it is Gotenk's form of choice. Not like "haha we made him trasform wrong, as a joke" but just that it's supposed to be a bit goofy which is why the incredibly goofy semi-joke character adopts it as his signature look.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Toriyama probably chcukled after drawing Goku with big hair.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Gruckles posted:

Toriyama probably chcukled after drawing Goku with big hair.

And then he was like "Watch me put this on a kid"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

I think to some degree SSJ3 was intended to be silly which is why it is Gotenk's form of choice. Not like "haha we made him trasform wrong, as a joke" but just that it's supposed to be a bit goofy which is why the incredibly goofy semi-joke character adopts it as his signature look.

Maybe but no one in-story ever really comments on SSJ3 looking goofy and it's not really Toriyama's style to not belabor a joke to make it as obvious as possible. Subtlety is not the man's strong suit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Krillin threw the spirit bomb once, and the SB never forgot that slight. It didn't hurt Frieza, it requested his help.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
super saiyan 3's only weakness is that it is hard to draw and animate... otherwise it is the most powerful ssj form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
If Super Saiyan 3 was meant to actually be a joke, he would have found some excuse to give us Super Saiyan 3 Raditz and Nappa