Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I've been asked to bring "a big soft loaf of white bread" to broil for garlic bread for a lasagna dinner. Anyone have any favorite recipes in that category? Something along the lines of a supermarket French or Italian loaf if what I am thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

effika posted:

I've been asked to bring "a big soft loaf of white bread" to broil for garlic bread for a lasagna dinner. Anyone have any favorite recipes in that category? Something along the lines of a supermarket French or Italian loaf if what I am thinking of.

This is what we make at the bakery and call "Vienna":

454g bread flour
250mL water
6-7g sugar 1/4oz
9-10g salt 1/3 oz
13g oil/shortening 1/2 oz
10-13g yeast 1/2 oz weather depending.

Knead ingredients.
Shape loaf, set in pan/on sheet, and proof in a warm, moist area if possible. 1-2 hours, weather depending.
Preheat the oven during the last ~10-15 minutes.
Don't punch down.
A hemispherical mesh pan would be best (this gives you circles for restaurant style slices), otherwise lay out on a half-sheet pan. Add three diagonal slits once it's fully risen. Or not. It's really just cosmetic.
400-425 ~30-45 minutes (I can't remember how long the bakery's oven takes).
Have a pan/bowl of water during the preheat to add steam. The steam is important for this style, otherwise it's just white bread with less sugar.
The bakery does 24oz. raw dough per loaf, but feel free to scale this up or down. The salt should be 50% higher than the sugar.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 5, 2021

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

This is what we make at the bakery and call "Vienna":

454g bread flour
250mL water
6-7g sugar 1/4oz
9-10g salt 1/3 oz
13g oil/shortening 1/2 oz
10-13g yeast 1/2 oz weather depending.

Knead ingredients.
Shape loaf, set in pan/on sheet, and proof in a warm, moist area if possible. 1-2 hours, weather depending.
Preheat the oven during the last ~10-15 minutes.
Don't punch down.
A hemispherical mesh pan would be best (this gives you circles for restaurant style slices), otherwise lay out on a half-sheet pan. Add three diagonal slits once it's fully risen. Or not. It's really just cosmetic.
400-425 ~30-45 minutes (I can't remember how long the bakery's oven takes).
Have a pan/bowl of water during the preheat to add steam. The steam is important for this style, otherwise it's just white bread with less sugar.
The bakery does 24oz. raw dough per loaf, but feel free to scale this up or down. The salt should be 50% higher than the sugar.

Thank you! That should do nicely. And double thanks for listing grams.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm an experienced line/sous cook, but a complete idiot when it comes to baking. My greatest accomplishments are doing the NYT no-knead bread, and some drop biscuits.

I somehow came into 5 lb of King Arthur self-rising flour. Can I use that for no-knead bread, or will putting yeast in that result in something for PYF Funny Pictures, PYF AFP, or the Schadenfreude thread?

Also wondering if there's some kinda bread I can make with this that doesn't require yeast, since it's self-rising.

Sorry for my stupid question!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think basically any recipe that calls for baking powder can use self-raising, just omit the baking powder.

In practice it's usually more for small stuff like biscuits than loaves. Make some drop biscuits in a greased muffin tin with it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm an experienced line/sous cook, but a complete idiot when it comes to baking. My greatest accomplishments are doing the NYT no-knead bread, and some drop biscuits.

I somehow came into 5 lb of King Arthur self-rising flour. Can I use that for no-knead bread, or will putting yeast in that result in something for PYF Funny Pictures, PYF AFP, or the Schadenfreude thread?

Also wondering if there's some kinda bread I can make with this that doesn't require yeast, since it's self-rising.

Sorry for my stupid question!

Look for quick bread recipes with self-rising flour, if you don't want to worry about changing a recipe.

But it's aces for drop biscuits like Huxley said. Make a bunch of those! The flour will keep well in the freezer, too, so you don't have to worry about making 5lbs worth of drop biscuits before the bag expires. (But why wouldn't you? They're delicious and drop biscuits are easy.)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Made sourdough bagels at the weekend and whilst I'm pretty happy I'm sure they should be bigger, they seem a little bit dense. I did an overnight proof of the dough at room temp, possibly too long? I think it was about 12 hours. Then divided and shaped and left them to prove for another hour and whilst they got a bit puffy they didn't grow much. I don't think they should double but it should be noticable right?

Should I do a short bulk proof in future? Could it just be the cold?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I have been on a roll recently, very happy with these results although I would've liked a touch more openness to the crumb

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Dacap posted:

I have been on a roll recently, very happy with these results although I would've liked a touch more openness to the crumb

My GOD, MAN, how are you getting that oven spring?! Like, tell me what you did, in your journey, to get that! :argh:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

null_pointer posted:

My GOD, MAN, how are you getting that oven spring?! Like, tell me what you did, in your journey, to get that! :argh:

This was made with hard red bread flour and 20% red fife.

Ratios are
100% Flour
20% starter
73% initial hydration
2% salt
5% water for salt mix

I use a rye starter, and make a leavain the night before at a 1:8:8 ratio. In the morning, I'll autolyse the dough for 45 mins or so before adding the starter with a stand mixer.

Once the starter is incorporated I add the salt and extra water and mix on medium speed with the dough hook for 5 mins. I'll let this rest for an hour, then do a single lamination and another 45-60 min rest.

I'll then do 4 sets of coil folds, 45 mins apart. 45 mins after the last fold I'll preshape, let it rest for about 15-20 then shape and put in the bannetton. Depending on the temp in my house, I'll either put it right in my fridge or bench rest it for an hour first. This time I rested it.

The next morning, Ill heat up my Lodge Dutch oven for 45-60 mins at 500. Then I score the dough, add an ice cube to the Dutch oven and give the dough a Spitz of water. I'll bake for 30 mins covered, then drop to 450 convection and bake another 20-25.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Went back to the bread baker's apprentice and made ciabatta using poolish. The recipe is for two loaves so I made one 'rustic style loaf' with half the amount. I had to add 2 tablespoons of extra water (5400 feet elevation) I didn't do any of the steam stuff because my wife hates crust, and it tastes great and finally I'm happy with a rise I got. My first Denver bread success.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Just pulled this bad boy out of the oven

Dacap fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 16, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Almost every Friday, I bake three sourdough loaves for my son’s kindergarten. Always well received, but I was never really sure if the kids liked it or just tolerated it or what.

Yesterday, while waiting for my kid, a five-year old girl walked by, looked me dead in the eye, and said: “I like your bread the best.”

:3:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I think I killed my starter. :sigh: I’d only fed it once in like the last 2-3 weeks. It rose that time but I’ve fed it twice in the last couple days and… nothing. I’m a bad sourdough dad, neglecting my baby like that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Did you keep it outside the fridge?

I've revived a fridge-stored sourdough after 3 months of neglect, and it was just as active as ever.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

KozmoNaut posted:

Did you keep it outside the fridge?

I've revived a fridge-stored sourdough after 3 months of neglect, and it was just as active as ever.
Yeah, it’s just been on the counter, I’d taken it out to use for baking and washing the jar and just dropped the ball after that. I’d gotten very lazy about dealing with it because life is hectic right now. Got the best of me I guess. Oh well, time to enjoy yeasted breads for a while!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Maybe it's temperature or maybe it's the fact that my home is nirvana for microorganisms, but I really don't understand the starter fuss.

My method: take spoonful saved from last time, add equal parts water and flower, mix, leave overnight at room temperature. Use this for baking, but reserve a spoonful. Place in airtight container in fridge. Repeat.

I've gone easily 2-3 weeks between bakes with no problems. And this way the only waste is what I can't be bothered to scrape out of the containers.

Protip: save a little bit in a container in your freezer, and you can use that to get things going in a pinch. Replace yearly-ish.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Made a gift loaf for some friends

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Baked a little challah today.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

My wife said she would put my two loaves of anadama bread into the oven, rotate them, and take them out at the appropriate times. She did. She neglected, however, to take the plastic wrap off of the loaves before putting them in the oven. :cripes:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

null_pointer posted:

My wife said she would put my two loaves of anadama bread into the oven, rotate them, and take them out at the appropriate times. She did. She neglected, however, to take the plastic wrap off of the loaves before putting them in the oven. :cripes:

Aw, no pics?

I've been on a lazy rotation of sourdough one week then sourdough discard bread the next week for maybe six months now, trying to churn through my discard bucket. I'm boring re: bread I guess, but it's still excellent. I'm also pleased when I switch back to bread flour how much nicer the texture is.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
This is the closest I've ever come to having a nice ear. A few dozen more loaves and maybe my sourdough will finally look as good as it tastes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We moved in July and are slowly, slowly unpacking.

I want my kitchen scale and the beaters to the Kitchenaid back. Dammit. No, we didn't mark boxes, so the jam maker has showed up but not the beaters. The Kitchenaid did, and sits there taunting me.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We moved in July and are slowly, slowly unpacking.

I want my kitchen scale and the beaters to the Kitchenaid back. Dammit. No, we didn't mark boxes, so the jam maker has showed up but not the beaters. The Kitchenaid did, and sits there taunting me.

Have you considered unpacking more quickly?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

JoshGuitar posted:

This is the closest I've ever come to having a nice ear. A few dozen more loaves and maybe my sourdough will finally look as good as it tastes.

Looks good tho

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Three days, three loaves of bread!

First I made my standard no-knead whole wheat sourdough sandwich bread:

Then for a Christmas Eve dinner I made a no-knead oat bread from King Arthur, but made it sourdough, left out all the sugar, and added 5% rye. This bread won over people who don't like sourdough AND don't like "healthy" bread, so it's staying in rotation as an easy crowd pleaser:

Then I made the Vienna loaf from Mister Facetious again! I upped the hydration to make it no-knead, and cut back on the yeast so I could let it proof overnight so that I could bake my loaves fresh & be out the door early this morning:

From upthread:

Mister Facetious posted:

This is what we make at the bakery and call "Vienna"

Merry Breadmas to all!

effika fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 26, 2021

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Christmas rolls. I followed this recipe

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Accidentally got the end of this dough stuck to the Dutch oven when dropping in which resulted in a ducktail.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DuckBread awwwoooooowoooo

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Looks great - I did the same for Xmas dinner buy baking at my sister's house while also making dinner ended up with me overproofing the initial batch and using a pan that was too large, so they were more "individual" than pull-apart. Still came out great, though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Tried some 'bagels' using 212 degree steam (8 minutes) instead of the boil. Worked way better than I thought- not quite a real bagel skin but it's 90% easier and only like 40% worse so I think it's a win.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I got a bread q

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/big-batch-quick-dinner-rolls-recipe

I made these and the texture was great but they taste awful. Like sour and overtly of yeast. If you look at the recipe, it uses a LOT of yeast so that's why I think it tastes that way but it is not a good flavor.

I used active dry yeast instead of instant.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

therattle posted:

Have you considered unpacking more quickly?
We moved with > 100 boxes of books. I have considered it, just as I have considered turning into a nightingale and flying up into the sky.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I made these and the texture was great but they taste awful. Like sour and overtly of yeast. If you look at the recipe, it uses a LOT of yeast so that's why I think it tastes that way but it is not a good flavor.

I used active dry yeast instead of instant.

That does look like a lot of yeast regardless. I think I would be using a third of that but I would also have longer rests. Did it finish in the 90 minute time they anticipated to make them? If you let that much yeast go amok for longer then you can get some goofy flavors. However, "sour" wouldn't be it although the flavor might still cause your face to turn inside out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The first rise went a little longer than anticipated because I had to run out to the store (so it rose for like 35 mins instead of 20). Would that cause it?

I also made the individual rolls too large so the bake time ended up being more like 35 mins.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I don't post a lot ITT because I basically just make the same two breads over and over but I had to share the crumb/oven spring on my sourdough.

Took me by surprise because winter temps tend to curb my proofing a bit. I used more than my usual amount of starter though and also switched back to bread flour, so one or both of those must be at work.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Chad Sexington posted:

I don't post a lot ITT because I basically just make the same two breads over and over but I had to share the crumb/oven spring on my sourdough.

Took me by surprise because winter temps tend to curb my proofing a bit. I used more than my usual amount of starter though and also switched back to bread flour, so one or both of those must be at work.

You have more variety than I do, unless you count pizza as bread.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I mix things up by making the same bread with different flours. I'm going to try making a sourdough that's like, 1/5th buckwheat.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Making some beef stew for dinner so baked this to go along with it, made with a Mox of Hard Ref flour with some Einkorn and Rye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Since the pandemic in the US seems like it's never going away, my wife and I have been looking for new stuff to do together. We came up with the idea of making a loaf of bread a week. We've made tons of no-knead stuff, but would like to do something a bit more advanced. Thought I'd ask for some recipes. We'd like to do different styles and types, just nothing crazy hard, and something we can make in a weekend. Anyone got any suggestions?

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 9, 2022