Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Don't give them ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

YOLOsubmarine posted:

What do you think will happen when you take the car in for service and they realize it’s been jailbroken?

Restore to stock before you take it in? Things people already do with ECU tunes?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Those are often detectable even after reflash to stock.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

As Nero Danced posted:

https://www.engadget.com/toyota-key-fob-remote-start-function-requires-subscription-111606852.html

Yay, subscription models for basic car functions. Never buying a car younger than 2015 or so.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43636/toyota-reviewing-key-fob-remote-start-subscription-plan-after-massive-blowback

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Reviewing = try again in a few years once the luxury brands have normalized it for their customers :v:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Neo_Crimson posted:

Restore to stock before you take it in? Things people already do with ECU tunes?

Those are detectable which is why piggybacks exist.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Neo_Crimson posted:

You guys realize it's going to be trivially easy to jailbreak these features right?

only the dumbest loving nerds on the planet are going to do this

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you jailbreak your car, they won't code in your new air filter. Then what!?!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

If you jailbreak your car, they won't code in your new air filter. Then what!?!

Sell it to someone, top dollar, firm on price, no low ballers, just needs air filter, know what i got.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NGL, it would be hilarious if your car's HVAC refused to turn on because the RFID chip in the air filter said it was too old.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

KillHour posted:

NGL, it would be hilarious if your car's HVAC refused to turn on because the RFID chip in the air filter said it was too old.

Don't say that poo poo out loud, you'll give them ideas.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Can’t wait to relive the 2010 android experience but with a car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

Don't say that poo poo out loud, you'll give them ideas.

Unauthorized oil filter detected, speed limited to 55mph.

Upgrade to premium plus genuine mopar air filters at your next service and unlock 15 extra horsepower from the ECU!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 26, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KillHour posted:

Gonna be DRM'd like a K-Cup too. Better put in an OEM part or else.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

Upgrade to premium plus genuine mopar air filters at your next service and unlock 15 extra horsepower from the ECU!

This is legitimately how the OEs would normalize it. “When your new Challenger/Charger/Cherokee/Jee confirms its configuration to be entirely authentic MOPAR factory or performance upgrades, and with the red key inserted, you unlock the full potential of your Hellcat. See your dealer parts department today!”

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Maybe they'll go the apple route, and limit performance purposely to "encourage" you to buy a new one: "We're sorry, your car is unfortunately out of warranty/# of years old. As a result, for your safety, we have reduced engine performance to maintain vehicle lifespan. Please visit your dealership today to speak to a sales representative about an extended warranty, or purchasing a new vehicle."

Then half the cylinders are disabled and top speed is limited to 45 mph.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just never turn your car off problem solved.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Elephanthead posted:

Just never turn your car off problem solved.

Over the air updates (with auto reboot) that you can't decline -- for your safety comrade. And the glory of the Party Company,

Car doesn't check in for updates? It bricks itself.

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

HawkHill fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 26, 2021

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

As Nero Danced posted:

Maybe they'll go the apple route, and limit performance purposely to "encourage" you to buy a new one: "We're sorry, your car is unfortunately out of warranty/# of years old. As a result, for your safety, we have reduced engine performance to maintain vehicle lifespan. Please visit your dealership today to speak to a sales representative about an extended warranty, or purchasing a new vehicle."

Then half the cylinders are disabled and top speed is limited to 45 mph.

if the alternative is the engine suddenly shuts off on the freeway because fuel draw gets too high for the pump, i'd be for that, yes.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

carry on then posted:

if the alternative is the engine suddenly shuts off on the freeway because fuel draw gets too high for the pump, i'd be for that, yes.

Or if we had overtemp protection like automatic timing retardation and adjustment of fuel/air ratio to compensate... might save a few more vehicles from being murdered by soccer moms.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Here's a sensible chuckle for everybody.

The Slowest car C&D tested this year is the Toyota Corolla Cross at 9.2 second 0-60 and 17 second quarter mile.

quote:

When equipped with all-wheel drive, the Corolla Cross is nearly one second slower to 60 mph than the last Corolla hatchback we tested, and it completed the quarter-mile in 17.0 seconds at a sleepy 83 mph.

I was just reading their test of the 1984 Dodge Daytona Tubro Z which was 8.2 seconds to 60 and ran a 16.4 quarter mile

quote:

According to the company's own performance figures (C/D tests will follow), the turbo takes the car to 60 mph in 8.2 seconds, to the quarter-mile in 16.4 seconds, and on to a top speed of 128 mph. For the time being, we can only verify that there is sufficient power to spin the tires until essence of Goodyear pours in the windows—without a trace of wheel hop (thanks to a special hydraulic engine mount) and with little torque steer (thanks to equal-length half-shafts for the turbo engine only). In short, this engine reinforces our feeling that it's the Chevy V-8 of the Eighties, arguably the best motor made in America.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Dealer basically laughed at me for trying to find a civic sport (nonturbo) hatch w/manual

:mad:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

Here's a sensible chuckle for everybody.

The Slowest car C&D tested this year is the Toyota Corolla Cross at 9.2 second 0-60 and 17 second quarter mile.

I was just reading their test of the 1984 Dodge Daytona Tubro Z which was 8.2 seconds to 60 and ran a 16.4 quarter mile

Funny how standards have changed. Also, car reviewers acting like 0-60 and quarter miles matter for family SUVs is really silly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
all else equal people like to go fast :shobon:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all else equal people like to go fast :shobon:

Not sure about that, I couldn't care less about acceleration. Most people don't know the acceleration figures for their cars.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fame Douglas posted:

Funny how standards have changed. Also, car reviewers acting like 0-60 and quarter miles matter for family SUVs is really silly.

They do matter

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Stoplight/OnRamp racing is like #3 behind #1 ROAD COMMAND, #2 room for grungy children/crap.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fame Douglas posted:

Not sure about that, I couldn't care less about acceleration. Most people don't know the acceleration figures for their cars.

Just because people don’t know exact figures doesnt mean they don’t care, they still may care that their acceleration is at least “adequate” or even “good” in the same way that your mother doesn’t know my exact penis length she just knows it’s “big.”

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

Just because people don’t know exact figures doesnt mean they don’t care, they still may care that their acceleration is at least “adequate” or even “good” in the same way that your mother doesn’t know my exact penis length she just knows it’s “big.”

All modern cars have adequate acceleration.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Remember that 2 cylinder fiat 500 that couldn’t get up a decently sized hill lol? That did not

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bape Culture posted:

Remember that 2 cylinder fiat 500 that couldn’t get up a decently sized hill lol? That did not

Good point, don't go offroading in your 2 cylinder Fiat 500.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

average 0-60 is 7.5 seconds? This is very disturbing...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Previa_fun posted:

Lmao :hf:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Previa_fun posted:

Geuinely badly needed laugh there. Thank you :)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Our 2020 Expedition is almost as fast 0-60 as my 2013 Taurus SHO and the expy weighs over 1000 lb more. The Expedition will do 0-60 in about 6.2 seconds and the 1/4 in sub 15 at over 90mph. It's honestly ridiculous how much faster vehicles have gotten in the last 20 years.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I like that the RAV4 Prime is faster than the MkIV Supra Turbo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Not bad!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Only being 300 pounds heavier than my Speed3 is really good for a modern truck.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I think my hybrid fusion weighs about the same… too bad you can’t get a maverick with cooled seats. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

no you guys are right, tesla doesn't sell any cars off the back of their absurd 0-60s