Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Nuts and Gum posted:

I can't remember what happens to Smith. Neo punches him through a wall and then we never see him again I think?

He returns to help Neo and Trinity in the coffee shop at the end. When the Analyst has frozen time and is on his way to shoot Trinity, Smith appears and is somehow immune to the time fuckery that the Analyst pulls and proceeds to attack the visibly confused Analyst (which unfreezes everyone) and messes up some agents/cops as well. After the fight is over and Neo & Trinity are reunited, the Analyst then activates the swarm before getting shot apart by Smith who then states that their alliance ends there and disappears, revealing the body he was inhabiting at the time was the barista who acts visibly confused. I'm guessing that Smith essentially being a beta for the swarm (Revolutions) meant that he knew what was up and noped out to save himself.

Don't have a clue why he came to save Neo & Trinity after trying to kill him earlier however. Still really wish Weaving had been there for that final Smith scene because him interrupting and scaring the poo poo out of the Analyst would have been so much better. After the film ended my first thoughts were a reconstruction of that scene with Weaving and his particular way of speaking and mannerisms, it would have been excellent. Still would have made no sense (unless I'm dumb and missed why he suddenly wanted Neo alive rather than dead) but would have been much more entertaining, imo.

I think the franchise is dead now so we'll likely never see it explored further but it felt oddly wholesome to have Smith come and save for day for Neo & Trinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
gently caress it. Give the franchise to Villeneuve or Rian or Nolan. Let them pick up with one holdover character like Bugs.

Quit trying to re-trace what worked. Do some new poo poo

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It seems like fans are divided about this film. Some think it was "pretty good" while others think it's the worst film ever. So I guess this is an improvement over "Reloaded/Revolutions"?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SUNKOS posted:

He returns to help Neo and Trinity in the coffee shop at the end. When the Analyst has frozen time and is on his way to shoot Trinity, Smith appears and is somehow immune to the time fuckery that the Analyst pulls and proceeds to attack the visibly confused Analyst (which unfreezes everyone) and messes up some agents/cops as well. After the fight is over and Neo & Trinity are reunited, the Analyst then activates the swarm before getting shot apart by Smith who then states that their alliance ends there and disappears, revealing the body he was inhabiting at the time was the barista who acts visibly confused. I'm guessing that Smith essentially being a beta for the swarm (Revolutions) meant that he knew what was up and noped out to save himself.

Don't have a clue why he came to save Neo & Trinity after trying to kill him earlier however. Still really wish Weaving had been there for that final Smith scene because him interrupting and scaring the poo poo out of the Analyst would have been so much better. After the film ended my first thoughts were a reconstruction of that scene with Weaving and his particular way of speaking and mannerisms, it would have been excellent. Still would have made no sense (unless I'm dumb and missed why he suddenly wanted Neo alive rather than dead) but would have been much more entertaining, imo.

I think the franchise is dead now so we'll likely never see it explored further but it felt oddly wholesome to have Smith come and save for day for Neo & Trinity.

I agree that scene would have been 10/10 if they got Weaving back in some form. IIRC from his chat with Neo he didn't really give a poo poo if Neo was alive or not at this point but Neo being back in the game ( :haw: ) as it were gave Smith an opportunity to escape/otherwise have agency ( :haw: ) from the iteration of the Matrix they were in. So there was just a brief period where Neo being alive and about was useful for Smith but after that whelp

People keep focus a lot on how the movie relates to The Matrix Online but a lot of that stuff about the friendly machines and programs like Smith clicked with me more because we had coincidentally rewatched the Animatrix not too long before seeing this. I wasn't expecting some subtler stuff like the bell coming up in a Matrix movie made like 17 years after that.

GD_American posted:

gently caress it. Give the franchise to Villeneuve or Rian or Nolan. Let them pick up with one holdover character like Bugs.

Ideally they should make a second Animatrix but live action (after that recent Night of the Living Dead I don't think WB should do any animated thing ever again), just let a bunch of different directors go to town.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 26, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

GD_American posted:

Fun to imagine what we'd get were David Lynch somehow directing a Matrix film and given a stupidly large budget. The majority of the film could literally be Lynch playing with rabbits again and be fully justified if we got a few scenes of Kyle MacLachlan as Hugo Weaving's nemesis. Or perhaps a buddy Agent movie. gently caress, don't even call it Matrix, have promo trailers which allude to it being Twin Peaks-related until people actually see the film and Lynch breaks minds. He's so perfectly suited for a project like that it would be incredible :allears:

Edit: Bonus wholesomeness in unfortunately terrible quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRAV7O8XzIE

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 26, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GD_American posted:

The opening of the movie literally involves the protagonist dealing with the fact that a sequel is being made to a personal passion project of theirs without their say or consent and their only choice is to come back or let something personal and private to them be picked to death by focust testers and marketing people who try to narrow it down to specific popularity points. It's not exactly subtle about the fact that Warner Brothers is demanding they retread already finished ground considering they literally say that in the film.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Smiths goal in this movie is to stay free. He doesn’t want to be imprisoned by the analyst again, so he wants to kill the analyst. Or he can kill neo first. Smith and neo are connected since first matrix. Also oracle stated in one of the sequels that smith is the matrix attempt to balance the anomaly of the one. So if there is a neo, there is a smith. Smith only dies in revolutions with neos and death. He was likely brought back by accident when neo is brought back. So the analyst imprisoned them both.

Smith explains in this film that because of this connection, if the analyst recaptures neo, smith will be imprisoned too. So he comes not to save neo, but to stop the analyst and save himself.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

“Fix your hearts or die” sounds like something David Lynch would say to the fans or suits who came to him asking if he’d be interested in hijacking a fellow filmmaker’s piece of art.

Neo Rasa posted:

(after that recent Night of the Living Dead I don't think WB should do any animated thing ever again)

The what now?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 26, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ruddiger posted:

“Fix your hearts or die” sounds like something David Lynch would say to the fans or suits who came to him asking if he’d be interested in hijacking a fellow filmmaker’s piece of art.

The what now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JBoxYpFsX0

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What in the holy hell

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

These Western "direct to video" animated movies are the worst poo poo ever. Outside of the "Animatrix" I can't think of a single good one.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It wasn't very good. Seemed like it was an interesting first draft.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

From a narrative perspective I didn't actually mind the film, but my god for a film in the Matrix franchise the action was absolutely bland, just really no memorable action scene in the whole entire film imo and that's just sad. With all 3 matrix films no matter the quality of the movie there was always action that felt creative, new, that made you feel like it was something that hadn't been seen in another film before, this movie has none of that.

Also why someone thought mindless zombie swarms were a better enemy than terrifying terminator like agents (who barely do anything in this film) I don't know.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 26, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ImpAtom posted:

The opening of the movie literally involves the protagonist dealing with the fact that a sequel is being made to a personal passion project of theirs without their say or consent and their only choice is to come back or let something personal and private to them be picked to death by focust testers and marketing people who try to narrow it down to specific popularity points. It's not exactly subtle about the fact that Warner Brothers is demanding they retread already finished ground considering they literally say that in the film.

None of this excuses winking at the camera and making a bad film, though. Maybe lana should have hosed off and let someone who actually had passion and desire to do something...anything...that wasn't a vehicle to tell the world how lovely her previous finance partners are.

Ultimately the whole thing feels like a slap in the face to anyone invested in the original material.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SUNKOS posted:

Ah yeah, completely forgot about that part! I liked the idea of Smith teaming up because he's just an agent of chaos at that point. I think that was the first time we've seen someone recover from being infected by an agent.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

None of this excuses winking at the camera and making a bad film, though. Maybe lana should have hosed off and let someone who actually had passion and desire to do something...anything...that wasn't a vehicle to tell the world how lovely her previous finance partners are.

Ultimately the whole thing feels like a slap in the face to anyone invested in the original material.

Lol

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Is it wrong that I only could think of the Brass Against piss accident during the end credits

I literally screamed.

Movie owns

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Nuts and Gum posted:

I can't remember what happens to Smith. Neo punches him through a wall and then we never see him again I think?

smartphones claim another victim

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for this and yeah, explanation makes perfect sense and lines up with my recollection of what you mentioned. Smith "wakes up" around the same time as Neo as well, so it lines up.

ruddiger posted:

I agree, but in that clip it's Lynch's character defending a fellow agent that is trans and had been harassed about it. Ideal scenario would be Lana approaching Lynch for collaboration but there's zero chances of that happening. I think Resurrections only exists because WB was already planning a sequel and Keanu wasn't interested until Lana came back so that if it was being made, it was being made on her terms, I think?

I'm sure we were getting a new Matrix whether we wanted it or not, and it was either this or whatever WB came up with (I think the rumor was a prequel about Morpheus?) so I'm glad we got what we got, but if we're discussing fantasy director and IP pairings then I'd adore seeing Lynch tackle this.

I know nothing about it but I'm pumped as heck for whatever Wisteria ends up being, if it's still being made following the Netflix deal falling through. Before Covid hit they had a deal for 13 hour-long episodes and an $85 million budget and now it seems to be in limbo.

:negative:

Just Chamber posted:

With all 3 matrix films no matter the quality of the movie there was always action that felt creative, new, that made you feel like it was something that hadn't been seen in another film before, this movie has none of that.

I really liked the brief perspective shenanigans when Bugs was taking Morpheus through those doors and everything was flipping around. I would have adored an extended fight scene that went all-in on that style of camera work as they fought through a building or something. Prior movies had wall-running and enemies running around on the ceiling but to build upon that with the camera actually following all of that movement would have been very memorable, I think. Might have induced mass vomiting as well so :shrug:

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 26, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

HorseLord posted:

smartphones claim another victim

I saw it in a theater but forgot some of the later details because of the student band screaming wake up! at the end while trinity smirks at the camera holding hands with her boyfriend

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It really is the movie that keeps on giving.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

drat this really is the last Jedi again

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nuts and Gum posted:

Heh. This is the good poo poo right here.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

CelticPredator posted:

no, this movie was good

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ram dass in hell posted:

no, this movie was good

The Last Jedi is the second best Star Wars Movie made.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The last jedi was a real movie so it's not really analogous.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is this where someone comes in and says “matrix 4 is closer to Zack Snyder’s work” and everyone gets upset and a mod has to come back in and remind everybody that this matrix deja vu simulation already ran just a few pages back

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ram dass in hell posted:

no, this movie was good

They're both good, imo.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

My favorite part of the film was the whole "Is it really all in Keanu's head?" thing. I wish it was kept like that for a segment or two longer before breaking the walls down.

CelticPredator posted:

"The Last Jedi" suffers from the same problems Rian Johnson movies tend to have. It has interesting twists and turns, and subverts your expectations, but does absolutely nothing in the script to justify these things. These events just sort of happen with no rhyme or reason.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Thinking about how they set up a beautiful super deluxe dojo scene 2.0 and then Neo refuses to fight and Morpheus 2 just pummels him half to death until he force blasts him

Thinking about how perhaps the best action shot of the movie is Neo punching one (1) zombie in the face from the bitch seat of a motorcycle and then Trinity doing a sick drift

Extremely good poo poo

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh hell yes, Last Jedi arguments in the Matrix thread on Christmas day lets ducking go dudes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t know why everyone has to argue it lmao. The reaction, regardless how you feel about the film is exactly the same.

It’s deeply fascinating.

Also if you think lana didn’t care about the matrix you’re wrong. She just cares about the love story more than anything else. Which I’m fine with.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Massive fan of the three original movies. Saw them all in the theater about four times. I owned all the overpriced McFarlane figures you could buy at Suncoast. I played all the games multiple times and also played the MMO.

I just saw Resurrection and absolutely loved it and I think it was the perfect way to end the series.

It would be cool if the franchise keeps going but I'm glad we got a good end for Neo and Trinity and saw some loose ends tied up.

The fight scenes could've been a little better and I would've liked to see Weaving back but he had "scheduling conflicts."

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The best scene of the movie was the mass suicide lemming zombie bots.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ImpAtom posted:

It's not exactly subtle about the fact that Warner Brothers is demanding they retread already finished ground considering they literally say that in the film.

The thing I literally said they should stop doing and make a change from?

Uh....yeah?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

SUNKOS posted:

Smith wants to stay free and wants revenge against the Analyst for his decades of imprisonment in the new Matrix. He tells Neo to stay out of the Matrix and to not go after Trinity because the Analyst knows he'll be coming and Smith (correctly) says Neo would lose that confrontation. Neo losing would result in him being returned to captivity and since they repeatedly mention the two of them have a bond etc that would result in Smith being dragged back as well.

It's a self preservation thing which is why he's not hostile later once the Analyst is dealt with.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ruddiger posted:

Is this where someone comes in and says “matrix 4 is closer to Zack Snyder’s work” and everyone gets upset and a mod has to come back in and remind everybody that this matrix deja vu simulation already ran just a few pages back

Imagine the action in Zack Snyder's Matrix

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Watched the movie today and the negative reaction is waaaay overblown. The absence of Hugo Weaving was the most glaring thing about it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

The best scene of the movie was the mass suicide lemming zombie bots.

It was pretty great. Just not as impactful when reminded that they're just bot constructs and aren't actual coppertops.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Nuts and Gum posted:

I saw it in a theater but forgot some of the later details because of the student band screaming wake up! at the end while trinity smirks at the camera holding hands with her boyfriend

it doesn't matter where you saw it. you were looking at your phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

Saw it today, liked it more than 2 and 3 but not as much as the first.

….FIGHT ME!