Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Booyah- posted:

is there a link to the current tourney? this one seems to link to the previous one or something https://lichess.org/tournament/WMEZdyxr

https://lichess.org/tournament/qzRBGPLN

It crashed again, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’m just watching hikaru on twitch, a few others are streaming too

Pengwin
Apr 3, 2007

MIND MIND MIND

I've also been watching on Twitch or directly on Lichess, but this is the closest thing to an official stream (agadmator's channel): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0efZdnPnHQ

Hopefully the servers recover soon :ohdear: thankfully these crashes don't seem to be benefiting anyone in particular.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I'm watching chessbrahs because Hikaru is annoying but I also want to swtich over to see him losing his mind.

edit: ooh GM Hansen is challengin Magnus while they wait

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

By far the best I’ve calculated in a game: an 8 move sequence that ended in me getting a back rank mate

9. Qxd5 Qb4+, then 10. c3 Qxb2. So here’s the trick: instead of moving my rook out of danger, I play 11. Bd3, preparing it for a killer blow in a couple of moves. Then comes ..Qxa1+, 12. Ke2 Qxh1.

Oh no, my rooks!

13. Qxf7 h5, 14. Qe8+ and black’s only move is to block the check with Nd8. And *chef’s kiss* I have my light squared bishop, that I moved several moves ago, ready to go 15. Bf5+, forcing the black king back to b8, so I could play Kxd8#.

….aaaaand of course the computer is a total dick about my beautiful Bd3 move, because of course it is

E: actually analysing the game there a few ways black could have stopped the sequence :cripes:

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 24, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

...what is h5 for?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

christ knows, i was expecting Qa1 or Qc1.

If they’d played Be7 instead of h5 they’re still winning, because it means that the knight will be covered when it comes in to block a check

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 24, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't normally have problems with chess.com puzzles, but it's kind of bugging me that this puzzle:

https://www.chess.com/puzzles/problem/775094

white to move

and this puzzle:

https://www.chess.com/puzzles/problem/1548240

white to move

are given essentially the same difficulty rating. got them back-to-back. one took 5 minutes of calculating various lines to get the solution, the other took me 20 seconds, the majority of which was spent thinking "it can't possibly be that simple". i think their random puzzle creator/evaluator is on the fritz

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
yeah one of those is ~2200ish, the other is... 1200ish? tough to give it a rating because every chess.com puzzle under 1800 is a back rank mate

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'd say more like 1700/500

If you're just doing rated puzzles they do throw a variety of ratings at you, and you get better rating gains for successfully solving ones higher than your own rating etc. But I think it's supposed to be within a certain range of your own current rating so yeah :iiam:

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
If you look at the stats, that second puzzle has had only about 1300 attempts, so is fairly new. The ratings take a while to normalise (they are dynamic based in the pass/fail rates of players at different elo, not set in stone by the creator) so for recently added puzzles the rating can be higher or lower than it probably should be.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

tanglewood1420 posted:

If you look at the stats, that second puzzle has had only about 1300 attempts, so is fairly new. The ratings take a while to normalise (they are dynamic based in the pass/fail rates of players at different elo, not set in stone by the creator) so for recently added puzzles the rating can be higher or lower than it probably should be.

wait, then what are puzzles with a "pending" rating even for if they still dynamically rate the puzzles after they're rated?

Spokes posted:

yeah one of those is ~2200ish, the other is... 1200ish? tough to give it a rating because every chess.com puzzle under 1800 is a back rank mate

when doing a puzzle rush i just keep clicking on a major piece and then the back rank as quickly as possible and it just always gets you passed, like, the first 15 puzzle

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Pending rating means the number of attempts are below the threshold where they even assign it a base elo. Not sure what the threshold is.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Spokes posted:

every chess.com puzzle under 1800 is a back rank mate
I've started doing puzzle rush recently, and man do they really love the pattern where the enemy king is on B8/G8 behind two pawns and you have a queen and a rook lined up on C7/F7. I get about 6 of those per rush.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

chesstempo is imo far superior for puzzles to chess.com. I got a bunch of custom playlists to train mating patterns and basic tactical motifs, it rules. UI is absolutely god-awful though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Castles roosting on an open file
Black knights nipping at your pawns
Wayward queens being hung without trial
On chessboards like manicured lawns
Everybody knows a queen and bishop in a row
Help to make opponents sweat
Tiny clergy in their fianchetto
Will find it hard to dodge the threat

They know that bishop's on his way
To pin them to a rook and take them away
And that weakened king is gonna wait
For a pawn and queen in a lobster-pincer mate

Now I'm offering this simple phrase
To players from 300 to 2070
Although it's been played many times, many ways
Don't push f6 or f3

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Maugrim posted:

Don't push f6 or f3

Well done

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

oh no computer posted:

I've started doing puzzle rush recently, and man do they really love the pattern where the enemy king is on B8/G8 behind two pawns and you have a queen and a rook lined up on C7/F7. I get about 6 of those per rush.

The best mating pattern is Philidor’s mate with a Queen on the long diagonal and a Knight on g5/c4. Knight check, then double check, then a Queen sacrifice, and then a smothered mate.

I’ve seen it in a thousand puzzles and will never see it in a real game.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

https://www.chess.com/puzzles/problem/1548240

white to move

are given essentially the same difficulty rating. got them back-to-back. one took 5 minutes of calculating various lines to get the solution, the other took me 20 seconds, the majority of which was spent thinking "it can't possibly be that simple". i think their random puzzle creator/evaluator is on the fritz

I think the rating of the second one might be inflated from people falling for the red herring of the rook capture and not seeing the obvious winning move

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Aggro posted:

The best mating pattern is Philidor’s mate with a Queen on the long diagonal and a Knight on g5/c4. Knight check, then double check, then a Queen sacrifice, and then a smothered mate.

I thought I never would but then got two of them within about a week. If you are attuned to it you will see the necessary elements of the pattern in the game.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Maugrim posted:

Don't push f6 or f3

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Maugrim posted:

Don't push f6 or f3

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Aggro posted:

Also, I've had it once where the opponent let me checkmate him a couple moves early (moving the king to h6 instead of h8 after the double check) instead of retreating into the corner to allow the queen sac and smothered mate. Not sure if he just gave up or was denying me the satisfaction on purpose.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Is there such a thing as an annotated interactive endgame trainer? I'm sure there are great books but no matter how detailed, it's hard to beat being able to play a move and seeing "ohhh the tablebase does this, that's why it doesn't work". But for sites I've found like https://chess-endgame-trainer.firebaseapp.com, it presents you with a bunch of positions where you kind of have to guess and the only moves are mystifying if you don't understand them. If someone could say for a given position "you need to control this random square / push this random pawn /triangulate the king because XYZ" it would be the best of both worlds.

Endgame feels like the hardest part of chess to learn through spontaneous online play since many games will end early due to tactical battles leading to mate or large material imbalance, and of the games that reach a reasonable end game often someone's in time pressure. Meanwhile most of the learning material (beyond basics like opposition) focuses on specific worked problems or technical topics (eg. Lucena position) which isn't that practical, at least at lower skill levels.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

You have to pay for it, but 100 Endgames You Must Know on Chessable is a fantastic interactive course that does exactly what you are after. Probably the single best course you could buy anywhere on the internet imo.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, one one hand the world rapid championship has started and is always kinda fun to watch. On the other hand I can't find any commentary channel that I actually like. Fide has terrible recording quality, chess.com has a very boring guy, chess24 has 90% breaks...

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm watching Bok and Canty on Hikaru's channel.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

tanglewood1420 posted:

You have to pay for it, but 100 Endgames You Must Know on Chessable is a fantastic interactive course that does exactly what you are after. Probably the single best course you could buy anywhere on the internet imo.

Thanks! I'll probably wait to get a bit better before committing to buying stuff but it's not too expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCBw2XTQEO4

This one from the rapid championship was brutal. I don't feel anything when blundering in online chess but if this happened OTB I'd be escaping the venue. loving diagonals, man.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
The ol' "I can't believe I just got that loving lucky" headshake.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
ah, got 'em with the old "didn't read the rules"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Abdu beat the field to become Rapid World Champ, good poo poo, dude. He's only 17 too. Poor Nepo tho, made it to a tiebreak with white first and lost finals...again.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Incredible. Congrats to Abdu!

Can anybody explain me why Fabiano Caruana agreed to a draw in his round 13 game after just 6 moves? It doesn't make sense to me at all.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Walh Hara posted:

Incredible. Congrats to Abdu!

Can anybody explain me why Fabiano Caruana agreed to a draw in his round 13 game after just 6 moves? It doesn't make sense to me at all.

Spokes posted:

ah, got 'em with the old "didn't read the rules"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

carlsen must be kicking himself over getting greedy in his game with the central asian teenage dork and dropping an unnecessary half point lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

feelin pretty good right now.

i joined one of the lichess 1+0 bullet tournaments for <2000 rated players. ive been right around 1500 for a few months. won the first 2 games against people about 200 points above me, and then got a winning position against a 1900 and lost on time (he only had 0.7 seconds left on the clock too)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

https://twitter.com/FIDE_chess/status/1476533556876828673

https://twitter.com/GMHikaru/status/1476530422117019649

Related reminder to never read anything in the chess.com stream chat

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I started teaching my girlfriend chess. It's been super interesting to really try to think about the best way to break it down and teach it, and, as a 1000 ish blitz player, I am learning a tonne by trying.

First, we covered how the pieces moved then we did a game, with her playing both sides and talking about the possible moves.

Next, after some research, I found this amazing video from Yasser explaining why the pieces are worth what they are (hint: it's how much control they have on their best squares, which I didn't know!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDw8yfeUiBg

What should I teach next? Has anyone got any basics videos as beautiful as that one?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

In a stunning turn of events, despite Hikaru's auto-withdraw from the tournament, Magnus has just lost his 5th game of the tournament, dropping his Blitz rating to 2837 and leaving Hikaru as the World Rank #1 rated Blitz player again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

started playing daily games and i got some guy rated way higher than me trapped so bad, i think he’s gonna resign but it’s a 14-day game and he’s making me wait it out :mad: