Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

THS2 posted:

they'll just effectively lock down again and continue their zero covid policy, because China has a functional government and a functional social contract

Chinese officials punished over COVID outbreak that led to Xian lockdown posted:

BEIJING, Dec 24 (Reuters) - Officials in the northwestern Chinese city of Xian are facing punishment after a COVID-19 outbreak led to the lockdown of its 13 million residents, authorities said on Friday, as the number of new cases declined.

All domestic flights out of Xian and most trains originating from the city scheduled for Friday were cancelled. Officials in Xian, which is famed for its terracotta warriors buried with China's first emperor, say the outbreak has been traced to the arrival of a plane from Pakistan.

The Central Commission for Discipline Inspection said in a statement that 26 people in Xian were being held accountable for "not doing a good job" in their COVID-19 prevention and control effort, but did not specify their punishment.

New locally transmitted cases with confirmed symptoms in the city fell to 49 for Dec. 23, down from 63 a day earlier, the first decline since Dec. 10.

Since Thursday, each Xian household has been limited to sending only one person to shop for necessities every two days, while others may not leave unless they have essential jobs.

Xian has launched multiple rounds of mass testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ah, the supervillain counterpart to Max Titers, secret identity Wang Commander

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
No bullshit question is America hard to live in? I went there once and they advertised prescription medications on tv which was quite incredible.

I mean I get it monetarily being bad but otherwise is it constantly stressful?

E: this seems like the place to ask for a brisk and forthright appraisal

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Raiad posted:

they're dumb, spoiled children who have never experienced "doing everything right" and still getting destroyed for their trouble

the “I’ve paid my dues” part is such a massive tell

they think quarantining and wearing masks were just temporary hoops to jump through to prove they’re capable professionals who can follow arbitrary rules

doing so earned them their vaccine card, a paper credential that grants them special privileges and exemptions from the stupid rules that the unvaccinated plebes still have to follow

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

bad rear end. they're doing an incredibly good job

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JBP posted:

No bullshit question is America hard to live in? I went there once and they advertised prescription medications on tv which was quite incredible.

If you have stress issues, you can carry a gun as a security blanket.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Death .

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

JBP posted:

the prescription ads are loving unrelenting

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

JBP posted:

it's mild

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

JBP posted:

Unless you are one of few very fortunate people, yes, it is constantly stressful and our life expectancy is plummeting like a rock

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

imagine living in a society that took Covid seriously: China is that society. every time there is even the smallest outbreak they completely lock the place down and do serious testing, containment, and contact tracing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zokari posted:

the prescription ads are loving unrelenting

It's loving incredible. Like actually confronting that it's legal.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

THS2 posted:

imagine living in a society that took Covid seriously: China is that society. every time there is even the smallest outbreak they completely lock the place down and do serious testing, containment, and contact tracing

They only completely lock the place down if they can't immediately identify the chain of transmission. Most of the time they just contain close contacts and monitor for community spread before doing the "test everyone in the city" thing.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They only completely lock the place down if they can't immediately identify the chain of transmission. Most of the time they just contain close contacts and monitor for community spread before doing the "test everyone in the city" thing.

badd rear end

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They said everyone in Australia had to get covid now. The majority lost for some reason.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

JBP posted:

legit made me want to joker laugh. it’s so loving stressful, dude.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
you can easily live ad-free, and I forgot that pharmaceutical commercials even existed after not seeing one in years until you guys just mentioned it

what are you guys doing that is exposing you to ads

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

please pardon the clutter, but santa had to die.

crimbooo

he died with covid, not of covid.

E: I put candles in his eyeballs so I could blow out their light.

:eyepop:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

JBP posted:

we don’t have a functioning government, getting sick often means financial ruin because we also don’t have a functioning healthcare system, and the craziest people you can possibly imagine have the most guns

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

the United States should have led the world in this kind of strategy and instead we're just going to have a new and more deadly flu

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

JBP posted:

when i was just married, it was stressful and lovely
now that i have kids, lmao

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zugzwang posted:

we don’t have a functioning government, getting sick often means financial ruin because we also don’t have a functioning healthcare system, and the craziest people you can possibly imagine have the most guns

A family member said we have the best healthcare system in the world yesterday and I laughed

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Cup Runneth Over posted:

A family member said we have the best healthcare system in the world yesterday and I laughed
#1 in customers who use crowdfunding!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

New York has fallen, California is one fire away from total destruction. do not come.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

JBP posted:

Yes it's loving awful but most Americans can't recognize it because it's all they know.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Wife's friend was trying to go to Queensland for Christmas but needs a negative PCR test 3 days before and every testing place in Melbourne is slammed with 10 hour waits, so she's gonna have to forfeit her flight and hotel, which was a couple thousand dollars.

Queensland has a huge outbreak too now so it's all so pointless.

Australia getting bored and quitting is still incredible to me. I dont kniw why I expected better.

Is NZ still keeping things under control, or did they give up too?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

THS2 posted:

the United States should have led the world in this kind of strategy

Lol why do you say this

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Lol why do you say this

leader of the freaking free world

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gently caress I hope you guys are ok for real

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

JBP posted:

Yes, is this not obvious?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

JBP posted:

gently caress I hope you guys are ok for real

we aren't okay

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/candace-owens-claims-trump-defended-covid-vaccine-because-hes-too-old-to-understand-the-internet

quote:

Far-right provocateur and anti-vaxxer Candace Owens, 32, took to Instagram to explain why she thinks Donald Trump unexpectedly defended COVID vaccines during an interview with her earlier this week. The reason? Trump, 75, is “too old” to know how to navigate the internet and find those “obscure websites” where, it seems that she believes, the truth about COVID and vaccines can only be found. “People oftentimes forget that, like, how old Trump is,” she said. “He comes from a generation—I’ve seen other people that are older have the exact same perspective, like, they came from a time before TV, before internet, before being able to conduct their independent research. And everything that they read in a newspaper that was pitched to them, they believed that that was a reality.” Owens urged her conservative fanbase to take it easy on Trump, saying that she doesn’t think his support of the vaccine is “evil” or “based in any corruption.” But, she added, “he needs to have a larger conversation to understand what’s going on and why so many people are horrified by his remarks.”

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Failson posted:

Australia getting bored and quitting is still incredible to me. I dont kniw why I expected better.

Is NZ still keeping things under control, or did they give up too?

They did, it's just a matter of time before they start suffering too
:tif:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Being American is about being constantly on edge with nothing to lose, this is true freedom

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Louisgod posted:

these people could delete their accounts today and literally nobody would know or care and their mental health would immensely improve.

turn on ur monitor

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

In a highly vaccinated population contact tracing and some restrictions has a decent chance of containing a small delta outbreak. Good luck.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

THS2 posted:

the United States should have led the world in this kind of strategy and instead we're just going to have a new and more deadly flu

Lmao how, you guys don't even know who has been vaccinated. Literally a failed state incapable of doing anything good.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

if you have the means to be above the rat race, living in America isn’t so bad. but, in other words, your financial situation defines your proximity to hell world. its poo poo

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Being American is about being constantly on edge with nothing to lose, this is true freedom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chamale posted:

Steve Yum