Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

My roommate didn't care for it, and got annoyed at the stinger scene.

Did they say why they felt that way? The stinger was hilarious.

Hopefully it's not some dreamy poo poo like "actually the ceos would know how to colonize a new planet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

The Wisest Moron posted:

What have the Eagles and Hawks ever done for me?

that's why they're still alive
carolina parakeets were hunted to extinction because they had valuable hat feathers
also my favorite thing about bald eagles is how even nature shows have at times dubbed over their actual vocalizations because of how they sound

Evil_Greven has issued a correction as of 03:57 on Dec 26, 2021

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

U.S. to be world's biggest LNG exporter in 2022

quote:

Dec 21 (Reuters) - The United States is set to become the world's biggest liquefied natural gas (LNG) exporter in 2022, surpassing Qatar and Australia, and may hold that title for years to come.

In a year when China and other large economies in Europe and Asia scrambled to source enough supply for heating and power generation, the United States was sitting on a bevy of supply - one that will grow in coming years.

Global LNG demand has hit record highs each year since 2015, due mostly to surging demand in China and the rest of Asia. Much of that global appetite has been met by steadily rising U.S. LNG exports, which have reached new records every year since 2016 and is poised to continue in 2022.

If the US is around in recognizable form in ten years Kamala Harris is going to stand in front of a graph summarizing this and say "that was me, people" and we're going to be told by every form of media that it was unquestionably cool and good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Complications posted:

If the US is around in recognizable form in ten years Kamala Harris is going to stand in front of a graph summarizing this and say "that was me, people" and we're going to be told by every form of media that it was unquestionably cool and good.
yassss slay kween, slay :twisted:

the planet

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

The Wisest Moron posted:

The ending have me chills tbh. (The ending on earth, not on the new planet)

Also Meryl Streep has cake.

:hai:

AOCIA
Nov 29, 2021

by sebmojo

Complications posted:

Biden in three years: "I did that, you're welcome."

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

roger hallam said something about +2C worldwide could end up being +7C in certain major cities? I know it's worse on land but that's uh, a lot

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

:hai:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

actionjackson posted:

roger hallam said something about +2C worldwide could end up being +7C in certain major cities? I know it's worse on land but that's uh, a lot

"So? I can afford air conditioning." :smuggo:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there something that gives a good explanation about how temperature change varies from water to land?

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

WTF

I thought Vancouver BC weather is supposed to be...

mild

We had record breaking hot this summer so we gotta balance it with record breaking cold so we can make it an average year.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

FistEnergy posted:

Don't Look Up was indeed very good

the bad reviews were pretty meta, because the critics thought the movie was too dark, lmao

Rauros has issued a correction as of 08:52 on Dec 26, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rauros posted:

the bad reviews were pretty meta, because the critics thought the movie was too dark, lmao

Can a movie really be called a dark comedy if you can't/don't laugh? :shrug:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Can a movie really be called a dark comedy if you can't/don't laugh? :shrug:

not really relevant since you seem to be implying "the darker it is > the less you laugh" which is kind of a weird thing to suggest in c-spam of all places

anyways i just saw the movie with my wife, just :discourse:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Rauros posted:

If that movie was depressing to critics, wait until they see the real thing.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm sorry honey you can't come in the house. This is a no politics zone and we are for the jobs that climate change will bring to build the domes.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

the movie is loving great.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm watching it right now with my wife.

Last night we watched A Life on Planet Earth (David Attenborough) and she found it very hard to watch.

But she's loving this.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
wow this movie sounds like it’s going to be the new idiocracy

and it seems like the dune guy is in it too wow

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Don't look up is a good movie. Sounds like a factual representation of current state of affairs. Doing anything to prevent total destruction lowers the profits...

Surely the companies will figure out a last chance technological way out of our predicament

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

This scene was legit kinda beautiful

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1475024794919702529?t=LyV9t4phes1V2-FLhJkUgQ&s=19

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/Blukubastard/status/1475168741243695104

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

RIP 🐬

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Now we can swim any day in November!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

People are so selfish and stupid and I loving hate it.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

hes right, climate change is causing san diego weather to get more 'normal' (tho still huge week by week swings sometimes lol) and it sucks huge rear end. bring on doomsday

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the weather during the 2008-2009'ish drought= paradise

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Mass loss of the Antarctic ice sheet until the year 3000 under a sustained late-21st-century climate

quote:

Ice-sheet simulations of Antarctica extending to the year 3000 are analysed to investigate the long-term impacts of 21st-century warming. Climate projections are used as forcing until 2100 and afterwards no climate trend is applied. Fourteen experiments are for the ‘unabated warming’ pathway, and three are for the ‘reduced emissions’ pathway. For the unabated warming path simulations, West Antarctica suffers a much more severe ice loss than East Antarctica. In these cases, the mass loss amounts to an ensemble average of ~3.5 m sea-level equivalent (SLE) by the year 3000 and ~5.3 m for the most sensitive experiment. Four phases of mass loss occur during the collapse of the West Antarctic ice sheet. For the reduced emissions pathway, the mean mass loss is ~0.24 m SLE. By demonstrating that the consequences of the 21st century unabated warming path forcing are large and long term, the results present a different perspective to ISMIP6 (Ice Sheet Model Intercomparison Project for CMIP6). Extended ABUMIP (Antarctic BUttressing Model Intercomparison Project) simulations, assuming sudden and sustained ice-shelf collapse, with and without bedrock rebound, corroborate a negative feedback for ice loss found in previous studies, where bedrock rebound acts to slow the rate of ice loss.

:lmao:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

im pretty sure I am going to see the melting of 100% of the ice caps during my lifetime

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i mean we can melt the ice caps, which will reduce ocean acidity due to dillution. then we can just spraypaint a large swath of land chrome to replace the reflectivity loss. simple.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the year 3000? see that's why the sea level rise stuff is soo boring. thank god supercanes give me that annual quick fix

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I SIMP FOR ICE LOSS

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Abolish ice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.